Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting it.

I'm very interested in process of designing games like Wasteland and I have found it very useful. Thanks again.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Guys, I am stuck. Interface issue.

In Quartz bar, I need to talk to the barmaid called Elen. I solved the riddle, but now I can't initiate chat with her. I see sometimes some random messages that she is nearby flashing on the screen, but I do not fucking know how I should be initiating chat with her...

Story of my life, bros.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Same thing goes with that Head Crusher guy on the south of the bar. He invites me for a chat, but I have no idea how to talk to him

Tagaziel

Scholar
To talk to Ellen, you need to disband a single character and walk the stools in front of the bar.

To talk with Head Crusher, you ought to use the VISA Card from the Brakeman on either the table or yourself, while you are sitting in the empty chair.

desocupado

Magister
So, which version should I play?

I hear the DOS version is easier than the others, is there a way to undo that? A patch or something?

EDIT: My DOS version runs fine on winxp, without dosbox or anything. Weird.

Gregz

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Is there an actual difference (game play wise) between the Mac/Dos/C64 ports?

According to this walkthrough: http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/wasteland.html

the "super loot bag" bug exploit is only available on the PC version, which if you choose to cheat makes the PC version much much easier. Apparently there are some other minor differences as well. Like a building being colored blue vs. white, or slightly different wording in a dialogue etc.. I had never heard of that before.

So yeah, if you use that bug it makes Wasteland infinitely easier. All the speedruns I have seen involve using that exploit. I think the game can be beaten in about 12 minutes that way.

Otherwise the versions don't appear to be that different.

desocupado said:
So, which version should I play?

I hear the DOS version is easier than the others, is there a way to undo that? A patch or something?

EDIT: My DOS version runs fine on winxp, without dosbox or anything. Weird.

I've never heard of any kind of patch or alteration of the PC version except the gameworld reset tool that allows you to replay the game with the same party. If what you're looking for exists it would be found here: http://wasteland.rockdud.net/wasteland.html

Just play the PC version unless you are a C64 fag like myself.

From reading the Admiral's 'Lets Play' of Wasteland, I still think the PC version seems easier, but he might be some sort of super player with characters made of steel. Haven't tried it myself.

desocupado

Magister
Okay, I'm too popamole nextgen to play this game.

How do you heal other than waiting in place?

Also, how do I know which pistol is stronger? It seems they're the same with different clip sizes?

Gregz

Arcane
desocupado said:
Okay, I'm too popamole nextgen to play this game.

How do you heal other than waiting in place?

Also, how do I know which pistol is stronger? It seems they're the same with different clip sizes?

Use the macro keys, F1-F8 IIRC.

I think you map them by tapping Alt-F1, then do whatever keyboard sequence you want, the Alt-F1 again (if not it's in the manual somewhere).

Anyway, you can Alt-F1 then tap 'esc' 50 times so you only need to hit that F1 key to heal quickly. It's also useful to map the doctor skill to a hotkey so you can repeat it over and over until the soldier's wounds heal. (Crit -> Srs, Srs -> Unc). After unconscious only time will heal HPs.

About the pistols, the .45 should do slighly more damage, but I never noticed any difference and preferred the 9mm for ammo/inventory efficiency.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom