Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Master - Return To Chaos

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone played this modern version of the old classic Dungeon Master?

It is not based on original source code and these are the differences comapred to the original:

Code:
The major noticable changes from DM are:

Game-play:
        Editing. RTC allows you to create your own dungeons to play. As well as being able to use the dungeon elements from DM and CSB, RTC allows you to import your own graphics and sounds to create new objects.

Expandability. DM has a restrictive limit on the number of levels and their size as well as the number of different types of monster found on each. The level limits are greatly increased in RTC to allow up to 10,000 levels of 200x200 tiles each and no restrictions at all on monster locations.

Magic. There is an option (available to the dungeon designer, not the player) to limit which runes are available for spell casting. Runes may be found on scrolls throughout the dungeon and added to the players inventory as they adventure their way through.

Difficulty. Players can choose to make the dungeons they play harder by setting a difficulty rating when they first enter. The harder the game the more monsters, with higher healths, that they'll encounter.

Lighting. If you cast too many light spells it will become too bright to see where you are going. This provides a natural use for the darkness spell to bring the lighting conditions back to a normal level.

Monster AI. In RTC all monsters are independent of each other. Groups of monsters can, and do, split up to hunt the party down and attack from all sides. They can also mix with other monster types on the same tile allowing them to combine forces to move in for the kill! 

Cosmetic:
        Shading. RTC runs in 24bpp rather than the 4bpp of DM. As such the shading of objects at a distance is done in full colour rather than using a limited palette so will look different.

Lighting. Lighting from torches and spells is changes smoothly over time rather than the large steps used in DM. Additionally fireballs light up the surrounding area as they fly by. If you don't like these effects you can turn it off in the config.txt file and play DM as it was meant to be!

Transparancy. Again as a consequence of running in a high colour mode, some objects have been changed to be semi-transparent. These include the Champions mirrors, poison clouds, spell explosions and some monsters (faders, ghosts, water and fire elementals). As above, this effect can also be turned off.

Sounds very good, but the current version number is 0.49 and there is no forum on the home page - http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/index.html
So I''m curious if some codexers have tried it, despite it being real time
:x and what they think of it.

Shannow

Waster of Time
When I tried it it was far easier than the original. Scything through stuff that used to be tough as nails, was kinda boring...
Otherwise it seemed to be what it wanted to be: Dungeon Master

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Shannow said:
When I tried it it was far easier than the original. Scything through stuff that used to be tough as nails, was kinda boring...

Hmm...that does not sound good. Having completed Chaos Strikes Back once and DM twice, I'd want it to be more difficult than the original, not easier.

Crooked Bee said:
Chaos Strikes Back is the only true Dungeon Master experience anyway, so who cares.

Dungeon Master is a nice warming up to CSB. CSB was probably my most intense gaming experience ever, but that was many kilos ago.

Shannow

Waster of Time
And I only tried the Dungeon Master part. Played till level 7 or so and then got distracted. Never tried Chaos Srtikes Back, not the original nor the remake. That'd be an idea if the other 4 modern games I've aquired turn out to be as shitty as DS3 or Daggerdale.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
octavius said:
Having completed Chaos Strikes Back once and DM twice

:salute:
I must confess I only managed to finally beat CSB recently, after a lot of sweat and tears. The bloody game was too hard for me back when I started playing RPGs. And it's definitely one of the best gaming experiences ever, up there with Uukrul for me.

Mortmal

Arcane
Already posted it months ago but there was little to no interest towards dungeon master mods, not too surprising , most codexers were not born when it was released. Their first rpg was oblivion when they were 12 year old.
I suggest http://www.dungeon-master.com/ as well to know more about them , theres quite a few of various quaity.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Mortmal said:
Already posted it months ago but there was little to no interest towards dungeon master mods, not too surprising , most codexers were not born when it was released. Their first rpg was oblivion when they were 12 year old.

Well, it is an old game, and not every one is into mods. But I think codexers on average are older than people on most other boards and forums. On the largest forum in Norway there was a poll where you could vote on GOTY for each year from 1990 to 2011. It only got to 1992 (so far) but while I was voting for Gold Box games, Ultima Underworld and Chaos Strikes Back, the others were voting for Zelda and Super Mario games. :x

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
To be honest I always overlooked Dungeon Master, first because I don't like real time blob combat much and second because it just looked inferior to similar games like M&M or Wizardry...

Mortmal

Arcane
Excidium said:
because it just looked inferior to similar games like M&M or Wizardry...

Wha.. what??? *heart failure* It was superior to anything released the same year and before.True imersion clever puzzle,runic custom magic, so atmospheric and the nice survival aspect.

MMXI

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Oh man Dungeon Master! FFS! I was thinking something else. Damn I may have to give this a try.
:lol:

Dungeon Siege? Dungeon Keeper? Enlighten us.

Excidium said:
To be honest I always overlooked Dungeon Master, first because I don't like real time blob combat much and second because it just looked inferior to similar games like M&M or Wizardry...
:what:

Wizardry was on IV in 1987 when Dungeon Master was released. It had fucking wire frame graphics still! Might and Magic looked like shit and was still on its first entry. Dungeon Master was one of the best looking games for its time. Perhaps even the best looking game for its time.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Then why the hell is it so neglected here? I only found out about this game while searching for something else on Abandonia and seeing it on the "related games"...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
MMXI said:
Jaesun said:
Oh man Dungeon Master! FFS! I was thinking something else. Damn I may have to give this a try.
:lol:

Dungeon Siege? Dungeon Keeper? Enlighten us.

For some fucking reason I was thinking Dungeon Keeper... since it's now on GOG.

But yeah, like Crooked Bee, I only finished this once on my Amiga 500 years ago. Fuck it was tough for me at the time! I made up more new cuss words that never existed while playing that damn game. I think I still have my Amiga disks of this around...

MMXI

Arcane
Excidium said:
Then why the hell is it so neglected here? I only found out about this game while searching for something else on Abandonia and seeing it on the "related games"...
Probably because it's a real-time blob crawler as you said. They tend to suck more than turn-based ones.

EDIT:
Might and Magic I (1986)
28ssruw.gif

Wizardry IV (1987)
8z4o00.png

Dungeon Master (1987)
1i0iaf.gif

Shannow

Waster of Time
Excidium said:
It is? What other game, released in 1987, gets more attention?
DM is mentioned every once in a while. Not our fault, that you don't read those threads :M

Mortmal

Arcane
MMXI said:
Excidium said:
Probably because it's a real-time blob crawler as you said. They tend to suck more than turn-based ones.

EDIT:
Might and Magic I (1986)
28ssruw.gif

Wizardry IV (1987)
8z4o00.png

Dungeon Master (1987)
1i0iaf.gif

Good find, unbelievable how advanced it was for its time, but its also because dungeon master was on amiga and atari ST wich were considerably superior to the pc back then.

To be more fair here's bard's tale 2 (1986) on the amiga:
BardsTale2_7.gif

BardsTale2_5.gif

Now 1988 , possibly the best rpg of that year:

4091-1-ultima-5-warriors-of-destiny.jpg

4091-7-ultima-5-warriors-of-destiny.jpg

Its higher budget than dungeon master with a much bigger team but they can stand on the same podium.
Back then dungeon master was not neglected, as i say its just than people are too young to remember.If you dig into ancient rpgs, its a must have , its real time indeed but its as complex if not more than any challenger .
.In fact in 1987 it received two "tilt d'or"(french gaming magazine award) as best ambient sound and best rpg.
http://atariforce.free.fr/tilt/tilt/dm.htm

Now back then that was an achievement, those werent given to everyone .Games were not even receiving 90% or even 80% scores frequently ,only one game got 100% in this magazine , it was ultima underworld.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It's an amazing game, even if you recall it had the retarded "hit a wall with a sword 1000 times to become a swordmaster" system.

MMXI

Arcane
Mortmal said:
Now 1988 , possibly the best rpg of that year:

4091-1-ultima-5-warriors-of-destiny.jpg

4091-7-ultima-5-warriors-of-destiny.jpg

Its higher budget than dungeon master with a much bigger team but they can stand on the same podium.
Well, a better picture would be from Ultima V's dungeons, which were hugely improved, graphically, from Ultima IV's.

21b6fwz.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
I know, but spent 15 min trying to find them , and editing post to make them appear...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom