Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your least faveorite rpg. Which oneand why?

Andhaira

Arcane
Tough call I know. There are a tonof contenders. But you can only choose ONE.

So which one is it?

Mine would have to be gorasul, legacy of teh dragon.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
might and magic 9. I visited a cousin over and he said , ' Hey i thought you liked M&M series. Here's the last one of the series, I didn't like it. You can have it. '

Thank god it is the last one.

Suchy

Arcane
At first I wanted to say Diablo - but then again it can't be called an RPG... So my choice would be Might&Magic 6. I gave this game a few evenings and ended up being absolutely disgusted by terrible combat and repetitive, boring, crappy quests. Damn, I "enjoyed" Oblivion more...

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Final fantasy 2 for the NES, and that one is not to be confussed with FF2 that north amarica got, because that was actually Final fantasy 4. You've got a skill system that works similar to Oblivion, except that on the field, you can actually run into a powerful monster that you have no chance of beating...and this is when your just getting started with the game. You also can't defend to raise your health, nope instead you have to have you guy in the back so that they can't be damaged.

Some people actualy like it, saying that you can cheat the system and find an enjoyable game. Although I think they're full of shit.

Another one is the Elder scroll series, although I like Arena, though that's only for the combat. I personally don't like massive worlds filled with NPCs that minus well serve as living signs. I have yet to play Daggerfall completly, just a demo portain, but so far I didn't like Morrowind, or Oblivion.

NiM82

Prophet
Dungeon Siege (if it counts as an RPG), I quite liked it initially nice gfx, nice UI, but god it was tedious/boring. When I finished it I deleted it, and it's never seen the light of day since.

I think what makes me hate it the most is the fact there was talent involved, it had a great engine, nice art and nice ideas like pack mules along with a diverse range of landscapes to travel through (you felt like you were covering a lot of ground). If they'd had some designers with half a clue about good gameplay design and story telling it could've been fantastic.

mondblut

Arcane
Outside JPGs, roguelikes, FPSes with 3 stats, RTSes with 3 stats, diablows and diablow wannabes? And not counting all the crap I have glanced at for 3 minutes and decided not to bother?

Probably Dungeon Master. I played through a couple of levels, and hated every second of it.

nik2008ofs

Scholar
Suchy said:
At first I wanted to say Diablo - but then again it can't be called an RPG... So my choice would be Might&Magic 6. I gave this game a few evenings and ended up being absolutely disgusted by terrible combat and repetitive, boring, crappy quests. Damn, I "enjoyed" Oblivion more...

You are a complete and utter idiot.

Suchy

Arcane
No, I'm not. The game was simply BAD. The combat practically came down to sticking a match in the keyboard to hold the 'A' key pressed and going for a tea. After returning eventually the uncountable hordes of goblins in some generic dungeon would be dead and let me finish another fed-ex quest :/

I've managed to play M&M7 though - until some dude with laser gun popped up which was a turning point for me.

I can't remember old shit I played for ten minutes or so, so I'll have to say it's Oblivion. Rarely have I played games that are consistently so boring that you press pause and fall asleep.

I also hated Neverwinter Nights when I bought it. It had awful camera and controls, and I'm not sure how was it's OC because I stopped playing right after meeting with that paladin who gives you a quest.

Nael

Arcane
I know I'm going to get alot of fans for this one, but I seriously despised Planescape: Torment. Whenever I think about that game the only thing that runs thru my mind is "blah blah blah blah". I really, really hate overly wordy games, books, articles, threads, etc, etc, and they don't get much wordier than PS:T. KOTOR 2 was perhaps almost as droning/wordy, but at least it was Starwars. It was just a really wordy bunch of NPCs in a setting that I cared very little about.

So there you have it. PS:T is IMO, the worst RPG I've ever played. Oblivion deserves honorable mention however. It was wordy as well, and also totally lacking in depth which possibly makes it a worse game than PS:T. I just like saying PS:T because it's so many of you jackasses' favorite game.

nik2008ofs

Scholar
Suchy said:
No, I'm not. The game was simply BAD. The combat practically came down to sticking a match in the keyboard to hold the 'A' key pressed and going for a tea. After returning eventually the uncountable hordes of goblins in some generic dungeon would be dead and let me finish another fed-ex quest :/

I've managed to play M&M7 though - until some dude with laser gun popped up which was a turning point for me.

You are a complete, utter and irredeemable idiot :P

On a more serious note, many people didn't like the fantasy-sci fi mix, but that doesn't make the games bad. Just as many if not more people are fed up with overused generic fantasy worlds.

Holding the A key and going for a tea will get your party killed in no time in most situations. Going for a coffee or a beer instead will get you the same result :P. MM6-9 had the best implementation of turn based - real time choice to date. Yes, you could play it as a Doom clone, but you could also play it as chess. Your pick. As for "generic dungeon", you obviously played blindfolded, something you should restrict to sex play. MM6 had some of the best ( and most difficult) dungeons ever.

Nael said:
I really, really hate overly wordy games, books, articles, threads, etc, etc,.

That's ok. ADD is common among retards.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Nael said:
I just like saying PS:T because it's so many of you jackasses' favorite game.

It's your right to dislike it and one who denies it would be very stupid. Yet failing to recognize its excellence will get your burned on a pike, you heretic!

As for me, perhaps because it's still fresh in my memory, I'd say Beyond Divinity, even if it wasn't much of a cRPG in my eyes. I tried to play it a few years ago and stopped before the end of Act I. Then I decided to try again a few weeks ago mainly because I read a few negative comments here.

And yep, while this time it was easier for me to do the whole first Act, I discovered it went a bit better after... but not much. The voice acting, that I stated was done one a (sometimes) bad parody tone just got on my nerves. It was parodic but it was also badly done. Yet I still see some redeeming qualities like the graphics (I didn't like the 3D models compared to the 2D ones of DD though), the music (most of it lifted from DD but Pokrovski is an accomplished composer), the skill system and most of the puzzles. The combat could have been an highlight but the problem is that it isn't very strategic most of the time while it had that potential.

Nael

Arcane
nik2008ofs said:
Holding the A key and going for a tea will get your party killed in no time in most situations. Going for a coffee or a beer instead will get you the same result :P. MM6-9 had the best implementation of turn based - real time choice to date.

Wizardry 8 had a better system, and you know it. MM6 did do it first though, I will give you that. MM7 was the high point for that style Might and Magic game, but 9 really was a steaming pile of manure.

nik2008ofs said:
Nael said:
I really, really hate overly wordy games, books, articles, threads, etc, etc,.

That's ok. ADD is common among retards.

Note I said overly wordy. I am talking about games like PS:T where an NPC will talk and talk about the same subject in a totally unnecessary 2000+ word diatribe about some ridiculous Planescapey bullshit. So you can make a wordy game as long is it makes sense and it is something that grabs ones interest. Retard.

afewhours

Scholar
Nael said:
Oblivion deserves honorable mention however. It was wordy as well

Eh? I can understand this criticism being levelled at PS:T, but Oblivion? Meh. Never mind.

I honestly can't say what would be my least favourite RPG. I'm too much of a slut. I'll dig through my big pile of JRPGs. There's bound to be something in there.

...several minutes later...

Hmmm. I can't say it's my least favourite, because the combat is fun, but SMT:DDS2 irritated me no end. DDS2 devolved into the kind of fruity, pretentious, emo rubbish usually reserved for fanfiction and nearly ruined DDS for me. The junkyard in DDS was a fantastic setting, but it went so horribly, horribly wrong in DDS2. The last 1/3 made me want to claw my eyes out.

Although it's not an RPG, can I just mention Fahrenheit? I tend to be quite chilled out with even the silliest writing. Heck, I even enjoy a good dose of trashy nonsense every now and then. There's a reason for this tolerance. Whenever I play a game, and it starts getting daft, I can always say: "At least it's not Fahrenheit." and then I start enjoying the game again.

Because nothing is as bad as Fahrenheit. Not even Final Fantasy VIII.

I'd recommend watching it on Youtube, but frankly, you need to experience the horror first-hand to achieve my level of innoculation. The ending will make you want to watch Hollyoaks in a desperate attempt to rinse out your brain with something, ugh, better.

Okay. Now since this is the Codex, I expect this to go on for at least twenty pages. Don't disappoint me. :D

nik2008ofs

Scholar
Nael said:
Note I said overly wordy. I am talking about games like PS:T where an NPC will talk and talk about the same subject in a totally unnecessary 2000+ word diatribe about some ridiculous Planescapey bullshit. So you can make a wordy game as long is it makes sense and it is something that grabs ones interest. Retard.

If the standard is to make sense and be interesting, then your reply fails. Dumbfuck.

Suchy

Arcane
nik2008ofs said:
MM6 had some of the best ( and most difficult) dungeons ever.
Hard? Indeed. But beating (twice) the bodycount of Rambo 4 within 20 minutes of gameplay is not exactly what I call fun. I couldn't find the dungeons interesting either, maybe if they had other purpose than fed-ex quests... Interesting dungeons? Ultima Underworld series.
Also injecting sci-fi into painfully cliched high-fantasy setting doesn't make it less cliched.

Deleted member 7219

Out of all the RPGs I have played (not counting JRPGs) I think Lionheart ranks the worst.

Barcelona was great, rest of the game was shit.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Any of the campaigns that came with Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition. I shouldn't have to download mods to get a good game.

Actually I liked the OC better than the expansions, but maybe that's because I played it first and had more tolerance for it.

Runners up:

Darklands - So many options, but then you go to another town that has exactly the same options. Yawn. And where was the main quest? Was there one?
Daggerfall - You don't need a million square miles if you have less variety than Oblivion. Also, main quest was broken and side quests were repetitive.
Realms of Arkania - Feels like work, not a game.
Oblivion - Would have been good with a static world like Gothic. Level scaling broke it horribly.

Nael

Arcane
nik2008ofs said:
Nael said:

If the standard is to make sense and be interesting, then your reply fails. Dumbfuck.

If you fail to understand my reply that's not my problem, and it hardly makes me the dumbfuck in this situation. Try harder.

Relien

Scholar
Nael said:
Note I said overly wordy. I am talking about games like PS:T where an NPC will talk and talk about the same subject in a totally unnecessary 2000+ word diatribe about some ridiculous Planescapey bullshit. So you can make a wordy game as long is it makes sense and it is something that grabs ones interest.
Well, that's really a personal thing and you have a right not to be interested in it. Nonetheless, as far as I remember, you weren't really required to read all that stuff in PS:T to make your way through the story while still knowing what's going on. It was rather a flavor material added for those who wanted to bathe (read: be immersed ;-) ) in it.

And Oblivion (or to a lesser extent, TES in general) is an even clearer example of this. You certainly weren't required to read almost anything, despite the substantial amount of text being available there.

If you know about some game with lots of text which is related to the gameplay, please let me know!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom