Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your least faveorite rpg. Which oneand why?

Nael

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Nael said:
Lumpy said:
Nael said:
I really, really hate overly wordy books.
Unlike those other kinds of books.
Aren't books by definition wordy?

I know "wordy book" sounds like an oxymoron, but a good example of what I mean in a book would be something like Robert Jordan or Stephen King. They go into detail that is tacky to put it mildly. If you use the same description of a bad poker face 4 times per page through out the whole book... I fucking get it... the character has a bad poker face. Hilarious, ridiculous, stupid. Whatever. That's being overly wordy.

Oh, for fuck's sake, crack open a dictionary. While Robert Jordan was certainly a wordy, talentless hack, what you're describing--using the same description over and over--is being repetitive, not being verbose. And "oxymoron" doesn't mean what you think it means.

No wonder you find PS:T too "wordy." Most of the words used in that game are probably too big for you. :/

Well whoopity-fucking-doo. Do you want a cookie, bitch?

mjorkerina said:
Lesifoere said:
And "oxymoron" doesn't mean what you think it means.

To kill two birds with one stone you should have inferred that he probably meant "pleonasm".

That's more helpful. Thanks.

Lurkar

Scholar
nik2008ofs said:
We were talking about 6, not 7. MM7's difficulty was significantly dumbed down. And I want a video of you killing a dragon with a level 1 party in turn based mode. A video of someone else doing so would also prove your point I suppose .

Oh no, wasn't in turn based. Real time was what could be hilariously broken.

You literally just run around in one big circle while the dragon does the same, turning a little bit after he shoots his breath attack to fire a couple arrows at him, then running to the side for a bit again. It was even worse if you were outside, at which point Fly made you move much faster. Honestly, once you got Fly, there wasn't a single enemy outdoor that you couldn't kill. The only issue was how LONG it took. And again, if you went Light side, you got Paralyze, which flat out won the game for you.

Haha, flaming flirt! I love it. If I ever would get to choose a custom tag, that'll be the one. I still think the dictionary would be your friend, as I somehow think you got a different reaction than what you were aiming for. :lol:

nik2008ofs

Scholar
Lurkar said:
nik2008ofs said:
We were talking about 6, not 7. MM7's difficulty was significantly dumbed down. And I want a video of you killing a dragon with a level 1 party in turn based mode. A video of someone else doing so would also prove your point I suppose .

You literally just run around in one big circle while the dragon does the same, turning a little bit after he shoots his breath attack to fire a couple arrows at him, then running to the side for a bit again. It was even worse if you were outside, at which point Fly made you move much faster. Honestly, once you got Fly, there wasn't a single enemy outdoor that you couldn't kill. The only issue was how LONG it took. And again, if you went Light side, you got Paralyze, which flat out won the game for you.

So there were exploits present in the game? Damn, we should burn every existing copy of every cRpg that has those... which would leave us with no cRpgs at all.

Binary

Liturgist
Lurkar said:
You literally just run around in one big circle while the dragon does the same, turning a little bit after he shoots his breath attack to fire a couple arrows at him, then running to the side for a bit again.

You forget that after that, it is priceless to do the "reload if you don't get great loot and the corpse dissapears" minigame ;)

I personally don't have a least favorite RPG. used to be Ishar 2 when I was younger due to the death traps, asinine puzzles and weird plot, but I eventually understood its strong points as well.

I think I'd vote for either Sleeping Gods Lie, Don't Go Alone or Escape from Hell

Daggerfall, ridiculously designed dungeons made from 3d jigsaw pieces,
boring story and gameplay with fed-ex quests galore.

I liked M&M6 the most of the series because it was excellently balanced, you never had too much money or experience. You were never too powerful. The dungeons always challenged you.

Arcanums faults ruined the game for me, it was too long, the combat made the game long, not interesting plot devices.
It seemed rushed.

bgillisp

Scholar
Was it any good? I was never into the M&M series, but having dragons in your party is quite a lure for me.

It was fair in my opinion. The dragon was hideously unbalanced once you got a few skill points in the dragon skill, all you had to do was use real time combat and fire away, side-stepping the enemy fire. It was worse than MM6 and MM7 in that regard because you would use dragon fire which would hit the enemies for a lot more damage than the arrows did from the other party members.

I do recall beating MM8 in about a week as the area you are in (and the story) is short. Imagine MM7 with a smaller world map, same combat, same graphics, but options for dragons in the party. In fact, I think the time from MM7 to MM8 being released was 9 months if I recall correctly. Shows you how quickly they put together that game

Prob could get it cheap nowdays though. Mightbe worth one romp through just for a hack/slash fix. Turn off 3d graphics though, they were horribly implimented in MM8. Or I just had a horrible 3d card back then

Anaglyph

Novice
Baldur's Gate: tedium incarnate elevated to the status of classic RPG for no good reason as far as I can see.

Lurkar

Scholar
nik2008ofs said:
Lurkar said:
nik2008ofs said:

So there were exploits present in the game? Damn, we should burn every existing copy of every cRpg that has those... which would leave us with no cRpgs at all.

Huh? I never said M&M7 was a BAD game. I just stated that the real time was very easily abusable and that combat in general was pretty easy.

Calm down there, sparky.

Suchy

Arcane
It only shows how badly designed was that game... Since when moving your party and casting spells is an exploit?

Suicidal

Arcane
A tie between Baldur's Gate and Oblivion. Both were so incredibly, mind-numbingly boring. I managed to finish Oblivion due to the game's main quest being only a few hours long, but gave up on BG because it bored me to tears.

Oblivion probably wins the title, due to its shit AI, shit level scaling, lack of any challenge, idiotic mini-games and a number of other things. But BG is a worthy contender for Oblivion in terms of shittiness.

A user named cat

Did people seriously answer with Arcanum? Wow.. anyway, here's some that I wish I could forget ever playing or owning;

M&M 9
Beyond the Beyond
Mistmare
Gorasul
Quest 64
Dungeon Lords
Deadly Towers
Secret of the Stars
Eternal Eyes
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Lionheart
Pool of Radiance
Phantasy Star III
Hydlide

Reasons? Because they fucking sucked and deserve no explanation. I know you only asked for one, but it's tough to pick the worst of the worst when games are so dislikable in their own, terrible ways.

Norfleet

Lurkar said:
Huh? I never said M&M7 was a BAD game. I just stated that the real time was very easily abusable and that combat in general was pretty easy.
The less abstract it is, the more the weaknesses of a computer AI show itself. The circle-strafe tactic pretty much throws any AI, especially with projectile weapons that necessitate some degree of leading the target, because typical computer game enemy AIs either completely fail to lead their target, or only lead in the first derivative, both of which quickly become apparent and easily evaded: A non-leading target AI is completely incapable of hitting any target whose target profile is smaller than their angular sweep. A first-derivative AI is incapable of hitting any target whose angular acceleration does likewise. At the point at which you have to resort to second or third derivative target tracking, humans tend to just give up and start firing wildly, going for the statistical hit. AIs, however, never realize that they should just give up and switch to Spray and Pray. Thus, their target tracking algorithms are easily goaded into missing with calculated efficiency.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
Dementia Praecox said:
I can! If they'd done away with the botched real-time component, and spent that dev time on balancing the turnbased part, then it woldn't just have been a fine turn based system, it would've been the best (in a pure RPG).

Then they should have done that. As it stands the combat is the worst part. And many who love the game on the Codex agree. You just started rambling on about bullshit 'what if' scenarios.

Unbalanced, yes. What's your point? Besides it being unbalanced? It's hardly game breaking. And you're still saying it's the best part of the game!

My point is the game is unpolished, further conveying my opinion that it's a poor game.

What, are you some kind of grafix whore? GTFO of my Codex.

No, I just have a moderate standard. If a 2002 high-cost game can't match the graphics of 1997 game (eg. Fallout, which in itself is not that great looking), then it falls below my own personal standards. And graphics can add a lot to the atmosphere of a game.

What are you smoking? If there is anything in the history of gaming deserving the "epic"-description, it's the story of Arcanum (and PS:T). There you have it. E.P.I.C.

Did you know the Oblivion is described as E.P.I.C? So was Morrowind, Baldur's Gate, Diablo, Icewind Dale and also most RPG's to date. So games like the Witcher that are anti-E.P.I.C are suddenly crap? Don't start giving me definitions of E.P.I.C - you fully meant in context the long, drawn out story spanning several regions and cities where hero defeats evil, saves world. And I haven't said anything about PST so I don't know why you are bringing it up.

Seriously, WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING? I want it, and in big quantities. There are no other RPG, ever, ever-ever, with the kind of quest diversity of Arcanum. And I'm not talking of the actual choice and consequence here, I'm talking about the sheer variation between them.

What the hell? Whatever the fuck it is you're smoking I certainly don't want it. I wasn't even arguing that it didn't have C&C. That's one thing it had in abundance. I was arguing that most of the quests in Arcanum are either typical fed-ex or save person quests, mostly generic stuff with outcomes I'll grant, but still pretty boring. There was also something about them I didn't quite like either, it's difficult to explain but it has to do with the 'way' they were presented to the PC. I don’t feel like elaborating.

Anyway, I hope you didn't actually expect "no ambient sound" to be taken seriously as one of the reasons for Arcanum failing to meet any reasonable RPG-standards? I mean, VD actually intended to release AoD without any sound effects AT ALL.

It's a minor point that is debatable by some but it certainly helps for me. IE games had great ambient sound, especially in cities. They did feel believable and alive, and by comparison Arcanum falls sort to games released before it. I have a feeling Troika would have implemented it had they a larger team, shame they didn't.

Eh, what? Did we play the same game? Also, if that's actually would have some truth to it, how would that be different (excluding PS:T) from ANY OTHER FUCKING RPG OUT THERE?

No, I don't think we did. Or you could have been high, given how many fucking times you asked me what I was smoking. It's different because other games had characters with much more diverse personalities and certainly much more developed back stories. What did I mostly use companions for in Arcanum? As mules to carry the tons of shit I got from dungeons and as meat-shields (which they were pretty bad at). Let's not mention how terrible it is to attempt to stop them from running straight in and getting killed.

Why do you lie?

Fuck You.

You know why? Because you're a retard. That's right! A god damn retard.
Edit: I fear I've just been baited by a clever troll. :(

So I'm first I'm a retard then a line later I'm clever? Idiot. You're right though I was expecting trouble for my personal opinion, I just didn't think someone would pull such a moronic counter-argument out of their ass. It looks like you've sucked so much Troika dick that you can't even accept the games' pretty evident problems. Somehow you even attempted to (stupidly) argue that the combat was good. :roll:

Phantasmal said:
Did people seriously answer with Arcanum?

Why is it so hard to believe? The game is loved on the Codex but it is still heavily flawed. You have to look past a lot to get to it's good parts (I simply couldn't), which after playing games like PST & Fallout seem poor by comparison. I don't actually consider it the worst RPG ever made, that title could easily go to some Eastern emo RPG, obscure unheard of RPG or TES. I consider Arcanum the worst out of the notables.

Lurkar

Scholar
Norfleet said:
Lurkar said:
The less abstract it is, the more the weaknesses of a computer AI show itself. The circle-strafe tactic pretty much throws any AI, especially with projectile weapons that necessitate some degree of leading the target, because typical computer game enemy AIs either completely fail to lead their target, or only lead in the first derivative, both of which quickly become apparent and easily evaded: A non-leading target AI is completely incapable of hitting any target whose target profile is smaller than their angular sweep. A first-derivative AI is incapable of hitting any target whose angular acceleration does likewise. At the point at which you have to resort to second or third derivative target tracking, humans tend to just give up and start firing wildly, going for the statistical hit. AIs, however, never realize that they should just give up and switch to Spray and Pray. Thus, their target tracking algorithms are easily goaded into missing with calculated efficiency.

Well, I think the big flaw dragons in MM7 had was that their shitty breath attack was their ONLY attack. The only thing they could do was shoot their slow moving projectile at you. I mean, it could be brutal if you played it in turn-based, but laughable otherwise.

On that note, real time wasn't ALWAYS better. The more enemies there were, generally, the better turn-based was, as getting swarmed meant your characters were constantly recovering from being attacked and couldn't fight back. It also allowed you to use Paralyze more which, as I stated, was unabashedly broken. More broken then dragons in MM8, which is saying a lot.

A user named cat

Wilco said:
Why is it so hard to believe? The game is loved on the Codex but it is still heavily flawed. You have to look past a lot to get to it's good parts (I simply couldn't), which after playing games like PST & Fallout seem poor by comparison. I don't actually consider it the worst RPG ever made, that title could easily go to some Eastern emo RPG, obscure unheard of RPG or TES. I consider Arcanum the worst out of the notables.

The topic asks what is your least favorite RPG, not what is your least favorite RPG that is well known and enjoyed by Codex members. You made a troll choice, obviously looking for some kind of arguement. You yourself just stated you know damn well there are RPGs that you enjoyed even less than Arcanum. Why would you not pick one/some of them and be done with it?

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
Phantasmal said:
The topic asks what is your least favorite RPG, not what is your least favorite RPG that is well known and enjoyed by Codex members. You made a troll choice, obviously looking for some kind of arguement. You yourself just stated you know damn well there are RPGs that you enjoyed even less than Arcanum. Why would you not pick one/some of them and be done with it?

Maybe because most of the people before me already stated the ones I didn't like. Also, I knew this one would be the most controversial/actually promote discussion rather than the pointless lists that were already done hundreds of times on the Codex. Lastly, I bet whatever game you put down, it was one of the following: Eastern emo RPG, obscure unheard of RPG or TES. :roll:

the worst RPG i have ever played... that would be oblivion.
first the "great" character creation screen where i can choose my characters eye size in relation to his nose and torso, and other seemingly pointless things (such fun) i start the game to play a crappy tutorial-dungeon, pretty much clueless as to what is going on. then when i get to the part where king something is dying and gives me his amulet and tells me to find jauffre it reminds me too much of Arcanum (amulet=the ring, jauffre=Joachim) and i end up playing that instead. later i saw my brother playing, and how the NPC dialog works, that pretty much sealed the deal.

@wilco

No, I just have a moderate standard. If a 2002 high-cost game can't match the graphics of 1997 game (eg. Fallout, which in itself is not that great looking), then it falls below my own personal standards. And graphics can add a lot to the atmosphere of a game.

arcanum_screen004.jpg

fallout3.jpg

What the hell? Whatever the fuck it is you're smoking I certainly don't want it. I wasn't even arguing that it didn't have C&C. That's one thing it had in abundance. I was arguing that most of the quests in Arcanum are either typical fed-ex or save person quests, mostly generic stuff with outcomes I'll grant, but still pretty boring. There was also something about them I didn't quite like either, it's difficult to explain but it has to do with the 'way' they were presented to the PC. I don’t feel like elaborating.

Helping Doc Roberts save the bank, taking over the Boil for your gang, killing all the bedokaan, or helping them kill the poachers, assist geoffrey in getting the gem of malachi rench, begin an orcish uprising in Tarant, finding out who the werewolf in caladon is then curing her, and also in caladon, that huge fight with the demon. Also, I don't understand what you mean by the "way" it is presented.

It's different because other games had characters with much more diverse personalities and certainly much more developed back stories.

So the bickering between followers, the things that made them mad, or happy, what they said in battle, the way they talked, how their dialog was written...none of that did it for you?

Norfleet

Lurkar said:
On that note, real time wasn't ALWAYS better. The more enemies there were, generally, the better turn-based was, as getting swarmed meant your characters were constantly recovering from being attacked and couldn't fight back. It also allowed you to use Paralyze more which, as I stated, was unabashedly broken. More broken then dragons in MM8, which is saying a lot.
It always comes down to what lets you pull the best cheap shots. I mean, let's face it...is there any OTHER way to win fights that are generally blatantly unfair? As I recall, the M&M series is infamous for throwing you into blatantly unfair fights and the only way to win them is to get used to pulling some really cheap shots. Otherwise you just die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom