Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian is making a spy-themed CIA thriller

Jora

Arcane
...for PS3 and XBox 360, says the EGM magazine rumor:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php ... t&p=805004

Spy Games
Publisher Sega was smart to snag developer Obsidian to make a role-playing game based on the Alien movies. But that's not the only game they're working on -- I caught wind the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II makers are also at work on another RPG, this one a CIA spy-themed thriller for the 360 and the Playstation 3.

All I can say is... weird.

Texas Red

Whiner
It was only a matter of time before Obsidian would release an RPG for consoles only. I am not surprised the slightest. What ruined Interplay and Black Isle is disregarded by them. Instead of starting work on their own project with their OWN ideas, they would rather contract marketing suits to make shitty based-on-something games. A CIA RPG? WTF, the setting, without even the details, sounds less appealing than the Alien one.

I dont really understand Obsidian's way of thinking here. Every artist, let him be a writer or a painter or whatever, aspires to show his creativity to the world. Now that Obsidian has sufficienty grown to no doubt starting something of their own, they just go the usual road of sucking as much money as possible from dumb console titles. This I cant respect. And besides, its not like they have to live in poverty by doing PC RPGs, for God's sake. I would rather write a story I thought of myself, or draw a picture independent of other drawings, but apparently Obsidian, artists themselves, prefer to be told what to do and how to do it.

If this is true(and such negative rumours often are) then I lose complete respect that I had for Obsidian, a company who no doubt realized that they were the remaining RPG developer of some skill and gave that title away to buy second villas.

A CIA RPG? Hell, Im all for trying something new but this concept in no way attracts my attention. A generic fantasy would sound better. Come to think o fit, a generic fantasy RPG from Obsidian would be much more welcome than both the Alien RPG and this new thing, both of which are awful ideas for RPGs, imo.

BTW, there is some RPG already in development with the same concept. Your" powers" or skills there are to call for reinforcements and stuff like that. Now that I think of it, it sounds weird that 2 very similar games are developed at the same time. Maybe the guy made a mistake.

The Walkin' Dude said:
It was only a matter of time before Obsidian would release an RPG for consoles only. I am not surprised the slightest. What ruined Interplay and Black Isle is disregarded by them. Instead of starting work on their own project with their OWN ideas, they would rather contract marketing suits to make shitty based-on-something games. A CIA RPG? WTF, the setting, without even the details, sounds less appealing than the Alien one.
Console games didn't ruin Black Isle. They may have ruined it for us, but what ruined Interplay as a company was fucktarded management.

Jora

Arcane
Troika was trying hard to get a console contract during its last days. Had they got one, they might not be bankrupt but making that post-apocalyptic RPG of theirs instead.

Texas Red

Whiner
Futile Rhetoric said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
Console games didn't ruin Black Isle. They may have ruined it for us, but what ruined Interplay as a company was fucktarded management.

And the fucktarded management shifted the course of Black Isle to make crappy console action games which were, understanably, complete failures. This is common knowledge.

cardtrick

Arbiter
I think a CIA RPG has lots of promise, actually. It could be a really unique, deep game. A real-world setting ought to rule out constant mindless combat, which would be fantastic. I imagine the gameplay could revolve almost entirely around stealth and dialog, with combats being intense, lethal, and rare. Who doesn't like a good spy movie from time to time? If it wasn't for the "console only thing," which of course implies that this will be a lame FPS/RPG hybrid with no depth at all, I'd be kind of excited.

Jora

Arcane
The Walkin' Dude said:
And the fucktarded management shifted the course of Black Isle to make crappy console action games which were, understanably, complete failures. This is common knowledge.
A crappy action game is a crappy action game, regardless of the machine it runs on. Lioheart didn't do that well either.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Rumors, rumors... still, if it is true it might be an interesting change of setting for RPGs in general, imagine a Bourne Identity type of theme... that would be nice. Console only though... meh.

I don't know if it's possible but I always hoped Obsidian would resurrect TORN... that would be great.

Mr Happy

Scholar
Actually, a spy-type setting sounds damn spiffy, especially if it is a historical Cold War-era thing, (with turnbased combat). The console-only part of the rumor on the other hand is disgustingly irritating. Too bad the Obsidian site is down, I wanted to get the inside drama.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The very concept does sound interesting and as a result, the game may turn out to be a breath of fresh air if the idea behind it is executed properly - however, the console exclusivity sounds... worrying at best.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
cardtrick said:
I think a CIA RPG has lots of promise, actually. It could be a really unique, deep game. A real-world setting ought to rule out constant mindless combat, which would be fantastic. I imagine the gameplay could revolve almost entirely around stealth and dialog, with combats being intense, lethal, and rare. Who doesn't like a good spy movie from time to time? If it wasn't for the "console only thing," which of course implies that this will be a lame FPS/RPG hybrid with no depth at all, I'd be kind of excited.

couldnt have said it better. hope its just a dumb rumor... the console only part that is.

aries202

Erudite
Who is to say that a CIA themed spy thriller will be an RPG? It looks more like an action-adventure game to me. Or it could even be a full fledged adventure game.... :?:

As for console games runing Interplay, well, it was only part of it. As I understand it, Black Isle did get sued by Bioware...for money owned by licensing the Infinity Engine? for Lionheart?

It is true, however, as I understand it, that mr. Herve Caen thought he could save Black Isle&Interplay with a console game called Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. It is now clear he couldn't since this game was flop - in every sense of the word...

As I understand it,too, it was bad management that made Black Isle&Interplay go away as the devs. didn not really have any interests in this site of game developing.

As for TORN I have a slight suspicion that Bioware's Dragon Age is a resurrected Torn of sorts. Some fo the features mentioned by D. Gaider on the bioware dragon age forums seem to be akin or similar to the features mentioned in Torn.

I must say I don't understand why TORN was cancelled as the preview and prehype leading up to it seemed like a very good game...

/aries202

Texas Red

Whiner
Jora said:
Lioheart didn't do that well either.

Black Isle wasnt the developer, some small company thats now dead was. And plus it was a failure of a game, so...

aries202 said:
I must say I don't understand why TORN was cancelled as the preview and prehype leading up to it seemed like a very good game...

/aries202

Interplay canceled a hundred potentially good games. And why? Hell if I know. It was probably the same marketing "research" that prevent true classics like Fallout and BG to be resurrected, dumb mentality that sees every gamer as an idiot 10-year old and that every true RPG fails, regardless of the milions tabletob players or the success of the past series etc.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I believe the option on what platform it will be on is entirely the option of the Publisher, not Obsidian. I'm sure they have some vocal input on this as well.

So Obsidian will be doomed if a publisher pays them to develop a console only game? I kind of doubt it. Herve and his fucktardary is what ruined IPlay.

Fergie and co. have currently kept Obsidian afloat so far.

I'd prefer they do a PC version, if it is a RPG however. Anyways it's still RUMARZ!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The CIA game sounds preetty good. Sure beats the Aliens one.

However, blaming 'going console' as the reason for Interplay's downfall is just plain dumb. First off, not all their console games were failures. In fact, only FOBOS was. Both BGDAs did really well. Plus, let's not forget that other companies do quite well with console games. If console games = death; consoles would not be around. Duh. The argument is just as dumb as the whole PC games = death joke argument. It's ludicrous.

Mamon

Scholar
BOS didn´t fail because of consolification perse. The game was still was a HORRRIBLE action in whatever you look at it. Implying that every console is as bad as that piece of shit is just stupid.

Interplay failed because of TERRIBLE management. Nothing else.

Deleted member 7219

Obsidian doing a console-only RPG? My respect for them just dropped a few points.

Jason

chasing a bee
The title of this thread gave me huge chubby. And the console only thing made it limp. Too bad.

But like cardtrick said, a Cold War CIA game has many much potential. Imagine something like Hammer & Sickle from the CIA's perspective by Obsidian with a AAA title budget. Something dialogue heavy with little room for random hack & slashery. I'd buy it.

Texas Red

Whiner
baby arm said:
The title of this thread gave me huge chubby. And the console only thing made it limp. Too bad.

But like cardtrick said, a Cold War CIA game has many much potential. Imagine something like Hammer & Sickle from the CIA's perspective by Obsidian with a AAA title budget. Something dialogue heavy with little room for random hack & slashery. I'd buy it.

Yeah, except its for consoles and that obviously means no large dialogs or little hack-n-slashery.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Mr Happy said:
Actually, a spy-type setting sounds damn spiffy, especially if it is a historical Cold War-era thing, (with turnbased combat). The console-only part of the rumor on the other hand is disgustingly irritating. Too bad the Obsidian site is down, I wanted to get the inside drama.

It's working just fine for me?

Callaxes

Arbiter
Seing that this is a console game, I doupth it's going to be a good RPG with rare combat and emphasis on stealth and dialog. What I'm expecting (to sell) on a console game is another 007 clone with lots of shooting and baging attractive women with a slavonic accent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom