Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play BLOOD BOWL! WAAAAAGH!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It looks like the game plays more like rugby than football.

Imbecile

Arbiter
OldSkoolKamikaze said:

Nah, its closer to american football as I understand it. Forward passes and blocking are integral parts of bloodbowl and American football, but are illegal in rugby.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Excellent. Looks like it's going dandy so far.

I noticed there wasn't an Undead team option in the one team select grab? Well, there goes my Ramtut III mummy of doom like the old DOS version.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Game looks very awesome and entertaining so far, looking forward to the next match. Also decided to buy the game so thanks for explaining everything about in the last update.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I miss the feature from Chaos League where I could see the player's names about their heads. It would certainly make the Let's Play easier when taking my notes as I play.

Taking notes is hard too because the turns still have a time limit.

I have an idea, you can clearly see the jersey numbers, and the numbers do correspond with the roster.

I think at the beginning of each session, I will screengrab the roster and refer to each player by a number.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
On another message board, on player gleefully reported that one of his skaven characters got a mutation at level up and selected two heads. The character actually grew another head. nice level of detail.

So now the team has some money and a little respect. Will you go ahead and buy some new teammembers or build up the team treasurey a bit?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Rabidredneck said:
On another message board, on player gleefully reported that one of his skaven characters got a mutation at level up and selected two heads. The character actually grew another head. nice level of detail.

So now the team has some money and a little respect. Will you go ahead and buy some new teammembers or build up the team treasurey a bit?

I'm going to buy another Lineman for Vortexx.

Silellak

Cipher
I am very tempted to grab this. If I've NEVER played Blood Bowl tabletop, how much will I suck at the turn-based style? heh

Also, are you playing with the additional Blitz rules or not?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Silellak said:
I am very tempted to grab this. If I've NEVER played Blood Bowl tabletop, how much will I suck at the turn-based style? heh

I actually find the turn based harder than the real time version of the game because the score is so much closer. One mistake or bad roll can turn a victory into a tie or a defeat.

In real time, I frequently crush the computer player, to the point the AI is giving him 400,000 gold in inducements per game.

Don't get me wrong, I still love it, the real time game is a hoot and it does get more challenging as your superstars begin to age/ get injured/ get killed.

The turn based portion of the game is not much harder than any other turn based strategy game as far as rules are concerned. I'm only playing on medium and it was a close game with dwarfs at 2 to 0.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Imbecile said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:

Nah, its closer to american football as I understand it. Forward passes and blocking are integral parts of bloodbowl and American football, but are illegal in rugby.
Yes, but it looks fun which makes it more like rugby.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
GAME TWO! Stunty Rematch!

Good Lord, the dorfs are back. Playing the Dorfs stresses me out because I know what they can do to me. I don't know why they have me playing this team again...but i take solace that one of their players is out with broken ribs from the last game.

Let's get to it.
BloodBowl_001.jpg

Our roster. I spent some of our winnings and hired another linemen, welcome to the team Vortexx! I thought a 12th man would be a good idea, give me a little breathing room in the injury department.

BloodBowl_002.jpg

Current Stats... not much to see yet.

BloodBowl_003.jpg

A new feature n the game is the ability to train a single player before the match. Training allows you to raise one stat by one for the next game only. It is essentially a mini game that has a bar filling up based on the variables set on the left. The bar starts slow, and accelerates very rapidly. Should the bar fill up, the player will take an injury and be unable to play. This is entirely optional. I take a shot of it for the hell of it and end up giving A-Train a chance to gain an extra movement for the next game.

BloodBowl_004.jpg

Holy Smokes, the dorfs are getting 280,000 gold for inducements...

BloodBowl_005.jpg

Training and inducement results before thegame. Thee dwarves have hired a hero to help them in the match, Olak and his Deathroller...great.

BloodBowl_006.jpg

They really mean business this time.

BloodBowl_008.jpg

I lost the coin toss so I am kicking off to the dorfs. Notice the skills and stats of that Deathroller...not cool, well at least not cool for me.

BloodBowl_009.jpg

The ball carrier runs right up on my wall and starts building his protective cage. At this point I am thinking of just letting him run through and score. the Deathroller is a secret weapon, and as such he gets kicked out of the game after the drive completes or at the end of a half. I really don't want a strength 7 juggernaut out there ready to crush my orks.

BloodBowl_010.jpg

Turn One and that stupid Deathroller KO's Hooked Pete. Oh its on now.

BloodBowl_011.jpg

I start caging the Deathroller and at the same time I call my left wing over while hoping that my right wing, composed of two Blitzers with support from one black ork can hold the offense long enough.

BloodBowl_012.jpg

The runner slips through, BUT! We managed to successfully block and temporarily down the Deathroller. Now I can safely peel off of him and run down the dorf, which is the only team an ork can run down.

BloodBowl_013.jpg

The AI screws up and tries to blitz away from kingcomrade, kingcomrade gives him a giant boot to the back and down he goes, majorly stunned and giving us a turnover.

BloodBowl_015.jpg

Thanks to the turnover, I now have a chance to cage the dorf runner before he can slip past!

BloodBowl_017.jpg

The dorfs are trying to break through, but the Green Wall is having none of it.

BloodBowl_018.jpg

A mighty blow from the Deathroller sends jaesade to the pitch, could have been worse.

BloodBowl_019.jpg

The runner is taken down and the ball goes out of bounds! This could potentially be bad as a throw in is mostly random and it can really hurt slow teams like dorfs and orks, thankfully our team is faster than the dorf team...and we are still vertical.

BloodBowl_020.jpg

Darth Roxor sweeps in and scoops up the ball. Notice there are noow only two orks tying up the Deathroller. Potential for injury is very, very high.

BloodBowl_021.jpg

I try to pull one of the orks off of the Deathroller and he gets a spike in the back causing a turnover.

BloodBowl_023.jpg

I tried to screengrab it, but I failzored. The Deathroller sent King Comrade to the hospital with a major injury. His status says there is no lasting injury, thankfully. Players can lose stats permanently through injury. You can also see in this photo that Darth Roxor and the rest of the offense are swing around to the left and trying to prevent the dorfs from taking out my ball runner.

BloodBowl_025.jpg

Going for it!

BloodBowl_026.jpg

Thanks to some excellent blocks and pushes which prevent the dorfs from coming with even 3 squares of Darth Rocor, he is home free!

BloodBowl_027.jpg

...and not a moment too soon as Half-Time approaches at turn 8!

BloodBowl_028.jpg

TOUCHDOWN DARTH ROXOR!

BloodBowl_029.jpg

Gratuitous Cheerleader shot!

BloodBowl_030.jpg

You can see King Comrade out cold in our high tech medical facility...and look at this! Hooked Pete is back on his feet!

"Put me in the game coach!"
"Well...we are down a man..."

BloodBowl_031.jpg

Thankfully this jerkface is out of the game.

BloodBowl_032.jpg

Getting ready to receive the kick off! Thanks to my investment in Vortexx and Hooked Pete's remarkable recovery, The Codex Orks can field 11 players, the Bugmen's Best...only 10. Time to press the advantage.

BloodBowl_033.jpg

Nice, a quick snap. Those cheerleaders and fans are paying for themselves.

BloodBowl_034.jpg

The dorfs boot it deep into our own territory where A-Train scoops it. A-Train also have a +1 move for this game which should comein handy.

BloodBowl_035.jpg

The Green Wall forms up and starts to hook around to create a vertical screen for A-Train to run behind.

BloodBowl_036.jpg

Sovard turns the tables on an offensive block forcing a turnover!

BloodBowl_037.jpg

The dorfs are applying pressure...

BloodBowl_038.jpg

the dorfs get some pushes in, but cause no tackles or stumbles...the wall holds!

BloodBowl_039.jpg

A timely blitz from Jaesade clears the tunnel of dorfs, just barely.

BloodBowl_042.jpg

A couple of good blocks from the rest of the line and the A-Train blasts through!

BloodBowl_044.jpg

While A-Train runs for the glory...the rest of the team send another dorf to the pitch, this time they gave him a severe concussion as a going away present! How thoughtful.

BloodBowl_045.jpg

TOUCHDOWN!

BloodBowl_046.jpg

Alright! Let's see if we have enough time get another score and teach these dorfs a thing or...two...what the...a pitch invasion from a rival team?! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

BloodBowl_047.jpg

Well, they came running out and beat the hell out of my line. They only beat up one dorf near as I could tell...

BloodBowl_048.jpg

Time is ticking away as we are reminded that the match end is eminent.

BloodBowl_049.jpg

This time we go full bore! If we can hit him hard enough close to his own line, we can force a turnover and then walk it in for the easy score!

BloodBowl_052.jpg

Remarkably quick for a dorf, he manages to allude the line...however A-Train has been training for this moment! He's fast, faster than he has ever been! This is HIS MOMENT!

BloodBowl_053.jpg

Time is ticking away! A-Train plans his route and blitzes! HE GOES FOR IT!

BloodBowl_054.jpg

...and fails, ending the game. Oh well, those historic moments will come again, right?

BloodBowl_055.jpg

Huh, look at that! Hooked Pete was the MVP for a single tackle. The tackle tha ended their offensive drive I think...I'm not sure. I gotta take better notes.

BloodBowl_056.jpg

The final tally.

BloodBowl_057.jpg

A-Train and Darth Roxor both level up. A-Train rolls doubles and which allows him to chose from the Agility tree. He goes with Dodge.

BloodBowl_058.jpg

Darth Roxor rolls a 10 which is high enough to chose a skill or a stat point. I chose armor for him, which brings his armor to 9 making him as tough as a black ork or a blitzer.

BloodBowl_059.jpg

Final Tally.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
YEAH EAT IT YOU DORF FUCK!

Ahem. So the reward was far less than last game. Hmm. And I still have no SPP. Very well.

Keep it up, enjoying this immensely and wishing I didn't have to save money right now.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Sovard said:
YEAH EAT IT YOU DORF FUCK!

Ahem. So the reward was far less than last game. Hmm. And I still have no SPP. Very well.

Keep it up, enjoying this immensely and wishing I didn't have to save money right now.

Yeah, I was reading on the blood bowl forums and SPPs are hard to come by in the turn based game.

I think with the defensive players it takes being in the right place at the right time.

Mantiis

Cipher
Rabidredneck said:

One of my doods has a second head, another dood has a third arm. My minotaur has a tentacle! Now all I need is a Japanese school girl!

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I wish any of the teams could get mutations...

any of my teams I mean.

I read on the forums that Chaos were absolute ball busting monsters in the tougher late game leagues.

Multi-headed Cow

They may not mutate, but do the orks get any sort of waaagh bonuses? Maybe you can reach a critical mass of cheerleaders and send your team into a frenzy?

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Less bowl, more blood.

Please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom