Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's succeed a Dwarf Fortress! [Krash-ing for Fun!]

Krash

Arcane
Very entertaining as always GarfunkeL! :salute:

Oh, and I'd like to be signed up for another round, after heechee. Just watching makes my fingers twitch to grasp that magma doom lever (and if there isn't any I will build it).

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
That was great! We haven't been sieged yet but still the dwarves managed to take down a megabeast! :salute:

About taking second turns, I think we should respect the positions we have right now and keep it cycling, of course if anyone wants to do it another way just say it so.

Phelot

Arcane
Maybe if he doesn't respond in a day or so, it should go to Berekän.

It sounds like Destroid IS playing it, but maybe he's stuck on the toilet or something.

Destroid

Arcane
Alright I'll pick up the pace a little... should have an update done soon. It's not easy absorbing someone else's fort and how it operates, it's going to be hell for the new players.

Destroid

Arcane
17th Granite, 253, Early Spring.

474157-L2HMFM6.png

Some decaying corpses in the underground caverns. It has become clear with the Crundle attacks, the Troglodytes and the Forgotten Beasts that these carverns are host to quite a number of dangerous beasts. I have commissioned the engineers to construct a more permanent safety arrangement. We will tap into the aquifer and construct gates enabling us to flood the lower levels of the caverns if more horrible beasts rise up from below. I just hope none of us get caught down there if we have to use it.

474178-QFL2FH4.png

Bandaid has come under attack from a Ruthener, horrible creatures. More followed but they fell pray to the stone fall traps (I'd get the military to kill them but I can't work out how to operate it).

12th Slate, and 'Destroid' Zonokol is selected as Sheriff to bring swift justice to the dwarves of Anusblaze! He was selected for his lack of compassion and a prison and offices are constructed. A new wave of miserable migrants arrive, as usual, they have little to offer and few posessions, but perhaps a few of them will find their way in the military and in the mines.

474241-QSRXG8A.png

474245-Q9RWRDN.png

15th Felsite, the Elven caravan has arrived, with a Goblin ambush fast on their heels! Those tree huggers obviously lead them to us, hopefully they will assist us in repulsing the.

474258-N36GA88.png

That's all for now, can someone give me a brief rundown on how to send the military somewhere? I tried following the guide on the wiki but following it's commands didn't seem to take me where expected. Pretty surprising how well my fingers remember the commands to DF even if my mind doesn't although I think default is actually a lot easier to read than this tileset, due to the low contrast.

Krash

Arcane
Ok, I'll try to lead you through it.

1. press (s). This will show you a list of your squads. Keep in mind that the game does not pause automatically when accessing this menu.

2. Select the squad you want to use with (a). You can select multiple squads by using (A) instead.

3. Press (m) to make you warrior-dwarves move (works like the old station command), or (k) to give them a direct kill order (useful if a creature runs all around the place). Then select where you want them to go/who you want them to kill.

4. Hillarious slaughter ensues. Remember the little buggers are very vulnerable to arrows without armor, so try to ambush bowgoblins around the bend in the entrance (might be tricky). Don't forget to cancel the military commands once the fun is over.

Good luck! :salute:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Aye, the kill order does not get cancelled out after the target is dead. I assigned new dwarves into the squad after the previous losses, which I forgot to mention in any of the updates and there SHOULD be enough armour pieces to get everyone at least partially armoured.

Phelot

Arcane
Destroid you're ruining everything!!! Get in shape and get this shit going. No more failure. A true browf would know how to attack shit. Get schooling done and get this shit rocking, I don't want to have to learn how to actually play this game.

Destroid

Arcane
First contact is made with the small Goblin band.

475891-MMD8WT3.png

It doesn't go well. This is an all too common example of our brave militias skills of war.

475893-OPWFVF5.png

Ultimately about half the militia is killed and the other half injured. I have drafted new dwarves to bulk out their numbers and ordered the construction of crossbows and ammunition, hopefully marksdwarfs will be more capable. The Goblins wandered around outside for a while killing the odd dwarf here and there, requiring the expansion of our graveyard to accommodate the high casualty rate. Eventually the Goblins wandered off, unfortunately before the Elven caravan had left. The landscape is littered with dwarf corpses and slick with blood. We were unable to slay a single Goblin and also unable to lure them into the line of fire of our ballista and through the traps at the entrance of the fort.

475897-KFG35UX.png

475899-1424CWS.png

(survivors recovering in hospital)

20th Hematite, and the flood switch is completed, allowing the lower caverns to be flooded at will. The door has been locked to keep nosey dwarves out, don't want to risk washing away our hard workers down there.

475905-7LRHG46.png

Ah, my problem was I was trying to control the dwarves from the 'military' screen, there have been a few UI changes since I last played. :oops:

For those who will come after me and haven't played much, you MUST get dwarf therapist to help you control labour, otherwise you will be lost. My first time using it and it is extremely useful.

Krash

Arcane
Dwarf Therapist is pure gold yeah :thumbsup:

What you need now is traps, lots of them. Either cage traps or weapon traps should be good, stonefall traps are too wimpy.

EDIT: Oh, and is Krash the Brewer alive?

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You don't seem to have a Table in your Hospital.

place some Tables next to the beds it will improve your abbilty to operate and keep the chance of infection down.
BY placing a table next to a bed you lowers the chance of the Dwarfs going retarded when trying to operate on a sleeping dwarf.

What is the best way to get into DF?

I don't care about purism nor do I care to put any effort into modding, so I am really just after the best graphics + best UI without changing the core game too much.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
herostratus said:
What is the best way to get into DF?

I don't care about purism nor do I care to put any effort into modding, so I am really just after the best graphics + best UI without changing the core game too much.

I use the phobeus tileset myself. It comes with the Lazy Newb Pack. You should also take a look at this: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF201 ... tart_guide

Overall, I think the best advice I could give a new DF player would be to abandon any hope of learning the game without reference material, deal with the steep learning curve, accept the fact the your first few fortresses will fail miserably, and stick with the game. Once get an idea of what your doing, DF is pretty great.

Destroid

Arcane
So soon after his promotion to Sheriff, Destroid was struck down futilely attempting to kill Goblins. Oscar has been promoted to replace him.

Of the original expedition, six remain:

Bandaid
Krash
Master of Decline
Oscar
Roofles
Ulminati

No sooner had the expansions to the graveyard and hospital upgrades been completed than...

477471-POPVS6A.png

I salute you brave militia dwarves :salute: , seems that the floodswitch was completed not a moment too soon, I hope this beast cannot swim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom