Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Mr. House is one of my fav characters and the VO for him is pure awesome. I like for example the way he says it's his FUCKING chip, when you don't want to give him it.

Radisshu

Prophet
Havoc said:
Mr. House is one of my fav characters and the VO for him is pure awesome. I like for example the way he says it's his FUCKING chip, when you don't want to give him it.
Mr. House is one of the greatest Fallout characters of all time. OF ALL TIME.

also, he's not a computer. he's a lich.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Two screens of my new playthrou... "Kill everything".

Et Tu, Courier?
entucourier.png

She makes another dick joke? Dick her with a knife!
toomuchdick.png

bonescraper

Havoc said:
Two screens of my new playthrou... "Kill everything".

Et Tu, Courier?
entucourier.png

She makes another dick joke? Dick her with a knife!
toomuchdick.png
Todd Howard would be proud.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Nothing shall stand before The Grim Reaper! ... Yea, I know. Original name.

Silellak

Cipher
Darth Roxor said:
Apart from said braindead AI the game can at least look the part of a stealth game if you install a darker nights mod:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that, too. While going back and forth between the arbitrary house and the saloon in the evening, I noticed that this game also suffers from the Arcania syndrome of 'nights are just cloudy weather'.
WTF are you talking about, Bro?
FalloutNV-NightSky.JPG

Bro, we all appreciate what you went through when you played all of Arcania for our amusement. Your suffering will make you forever a True Bro, and I for one believe you should have :bro: tattooed on your forehead for all eternity - or, at the very least, a custom Codex title.

That said, when you talk about New Vegas, I'm forced to wonder if the experience of Arcania has fried your mind in ways you might not yet even realize.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Silellak said:
Darth Roxor said:
Apart from said braindead AI the game can at least look the part of a stealth game if you install a darker nights mod:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that, too. While going back and forth between the arbitrary house and the saloon in the evening, I noticed that this game also suffers from the Arcania syndrome of 'nights are just cloudy weather'.
[pic]
I believe he wasn't commenting the look of the sky but the fact that nights in both games aren't dark enough. And he's right. It's especially funny since some weapons can have a night vision scope installed - what for? You can see everything perfectly anyway.

Silellak

Cipher
Jim Cojones said:
Silellak said:
Darth Roxor said:
[pic]
I believe he wasn't commenting the look of the sky but the fact that nights in both games aren't dark enough. And he's right. It's especially funny since some weapons can have a night vision scope installed - what for? You can see everything perfectly anyway.
I dunno; he compared it to Arcania, which is subtantially worse:
ArcanaNights.jpg

Also, another funny thing, there are no nights in this game. Nights are just days full of cloudy weather.

Cool shadows of trees and overall brightness in the middle of the night, eh?
Also, contrary to popular belief, there are no nights in the magical, mystical land of Argaan. There's just very cloudy weather in the evenings. Nights turn into days in a matter of seconds, forget about any form of sunrise, too.
I'm not saying nights couldn't stand to be darker, but comparing it to Arcania is...something else entirely. Hell, if nothing else, at least New Vegas has a full day/night cycle.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nothing should be compared to Arcania. NOTHING.

Side note: started my "might makes right" playthrough early because Arcania was just that boring. Helping the Powder Gangers take over Goodsprings made me feel bad... fucking silly empathy for polygons. New unique quests already though, hooray!

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Made it past the dreaded ghoul quest. Reminded me a lot of Fallout 2; while the subject matter was unbearably retarded, there were enough choices and options to make it bearable, and there was something for every character to do. I loved the fact that even the "diplomatic" route resulted in two different endings depending on whether you'd brutalised your way through the other Nightkin or stayed your gun hand until you worked out the full extent of the situation; is this an approach that will pay off in the rest of the game? It's not really one that games normally reward you for taking, even good RPGs, so I don't want to waste effort doing it again if it was a one-off.

Also, helping the human scientist kill off the retards to the tune of Ride of the Valkyries was immensely satisfying. My "kill people for being retarded" approach to game morality is resulting in a rather high body count so far, but it's oh-so-satisfying to be able to follow through on it with suitable consequences (people being glad that the retarded people have gone away).

Anyway, so far, it feels very much like Fallout 3 done right. That is, it's Fallout. It's very much Fallout. I'd go so far as to say it incorporates more skill checks, alternate routes and rewards for unconventional thinking than either of the originals ever did. However, it's still very, very much wrapped up in a new shit packaging, and if you can't get past that, it might not be worth it. I'd say "did you enjoy Bloodlines?" is a pretty good test.

Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands
My view of FNV

Once you get past the bugs - for me it tends to crash +++ on startup, only to sort itself out after 20 minutes play - and if you can cope with the shitty inherited engine, its actually a pretty good game. Feels like Fallout encumbered by a shitty engine.....

roll-a-die

Magister
Fuck_The_Banks said:
My view of FNV

Once you get past the bugs - for me it tends to crash +++ on startup, only to sort itself out after 20 minutes play - and if you can cope with the shitty inherited engine, its actually a pretty good game. Feels like Fallout encumbered by a shitty engine.....
Advice if it crashes that bad, play in windowed mode, the BGB engine tends to have an issue where it freezes the rendering layer, but not the whole computer, appearing for all intents and purposes as having completely locked up. Playing in windowed reduces the impact of this.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Silellak said:

Well, it's not exactly AS bad as in Arcania, but it's suffering from the same syndrome.

What comes to your mind instantly when someone says 'night'? Because for me it's 'Can't see shit, cap'n', not 'hey, the sun finally stopped blinding me, let's go on a fun stroll through some forests now that I can see everything!'.

I'm not saying nights couldn't stand to be darker, but comparing it to Arcania is...something else entirely.

So far, Arcania is a better game than New Vegas. At least it was playable :smug:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
Silellak said:

Well, it's not exactly AS bad as in Arcania, but it's suffering from the same syndrome.

What comes to your mind instantly when someone says 'night'? Because for me it's 'Can't see shit, cap'n', not 'hey, the sun finally stopped blinding me, let's go on a fun stroll through some forests now that I can see everything!'.

I'm not saying nights couldn't stand to be darker, but comparing it to Arcania is...something else entirely.

So far, Arcania is a better game than New Vegas. At least it was playable :smug:

And we wait for somebody to catch the bait.

Suchy

Arcane
Boomers.
What the fuck is this retarded shit? Who designed it? It's down on Fallout 3 level and makes the ghoul quest shine. I don't mean just the artillery, but pretty much everything about Nellis AFB, apart from the AFB itself. The characters are terrible, their "story" is fucking dumb and so are related quests... Fuck.
:picardwtfisthisshit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom