Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Zoria: Age of Shattering now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Anshar Studios; Tiny Trinket Games; Zoria: Age of Shattering

Among the various titles which have emerged in recent years in the wake of Divinity: Original Sin 2's success is a game called Zoria: Age of Shattering. First spotted back in 2019, Zoria is a fairly generic turn-based tactical RPG from Romanian indie team Tiny Trinket Games, distinguished mainly by its larger-than-usual emphasis on outpost management and crafting elements. A playable demo of the game has been available since 2020 and while I'm not sure how much progress it's made over the years, apparently it looked promising enough to be picked up earlier this year by Gamedec developers Anshar Studios (who have apparently decided to enter the lucrative indie publishing field). Last week the developers announced that they were going to launch a crowdfunding campaign for Zoria on Kickstarter "soon", which as it turns out meant today. The game's Kickstarter pitch video isn't really a pitch at all but just a gameplay overview trailer covering its main pillars - tactical combat, crafting, character building and outpost management. Here's the trailer and an excerpt from the campaign page:

Following almost two centuries of peace and prosperity after the conclusion of the Great Fiends War, the Kingdom of Elion finds itself again in chaos. Take on the role of Andar Witherell, a young and ambitious Captain who quickly advanced in ranks due to a mix of smartness and opportunism. You were assigned to your next task by none other than the War Chancellor. Your task is simple. Gather the best warriors and mages, and form the team that will liberate the Kingdom under your leadership. Take part in the preparations of the Elion’s Last Stand, but war is not the only danger waiting for you…

Speaking about your companions, we have nine classes on the roster. Pick your favorite ones based on past experiences in other RPG games. Will creating a hybrid team be a good solution?" It really depends on your decision and fighting style. Remember, you can have up to four squad members at a time. It can’t be too easy in the beginning, can it? You’ll start your journey solo with the opportunity to find plausible companions as you play through the story. As it’s an RPG, you have access to the skill tree. Allocate your skill points to equip your warriors with powerful perks, deadly spells, and effective buffs.

No hexes. No squares. Zoria is a fast-paced and fluid turn-based combat in a dynamically changing environment. Without a doubt, you have to keep a close eye on your surroundings. Use it to your advantage to set a trap for the opponent, but also be careful.

The unexpected close call can trigger combat, and your enemy can block your position, thus dramatically changing the dynamics of the battle. However, if you are a tactician and can plan your steps forward, even a stronger creature will not be able to knock down your party.

Plan your expedition, and send selected party members on an autonomic mission (in which you won’t participate but will receive what they find and the experience they gain). Collect the resources, and make changes to your squad, so the skills of individual members match the task ahead of you.

With that introduction, we welcome you to your HQ – The Outpost. The base may be regularly updated by unlocking new wings to the buildings, and it will be rewarded with either resources, quests, or items. Different buildings will have different numbers of available upgrades.

Crafting is an essential part of the game. Almost every item and herb you can find on your path can be helpful to you for making new weapons, armor, or potions. Put the new, shiny armor on, brag about your new wand among the order of mages, or sell unnecessary junk at the blacksmith. Live like a vassal... at least for a while.

“Before you go further, you need to gather the team,” - says the classic Baldur’s Gate quote. The very truth, but in Zoria, in addition to the team, you need rest, so take a flint in your hand and set up camp. Get some rest between battles to get some buffs and eliminate fatigue. And trust me, craft some more potions for the upcoming ones; it will save your life. Period.

During the quests, you will often find yourself in seemingly inaccessible places. Take your time to build a composure that will maximize the squad's efficiency and explore these places as each team member has unique abilities which may help you access them; who knows what you can miss in the dark corners of Zoria’s world? A little tip in advance: Battle Clerics can interact with Shrines of Nerdalye to replenish the party’s health.​

Tiny Trinket and Anshar are looking to raise €35,000 to fund the further development of Zoria. You can currently secure a copy of the game for €15, which also includes access to a "backer-exclusive extended demo". The estimated release date is October 2023, with an Early Access release planned for Q1 2023.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
“Before you go further, you need to gather the team,” - says the classic Baldur’s Gate quote.​
Also love the classic planescape torment quote: "What will change a dude?"

Kickstarter pitch written by the same guy who did Gamedec's English translation? Seriously what's the point of getting a publisher if they can't take care of this stuff for you.

These days, it's difficult for me to get interested in a new RPG based on a casual observation. I need to know something of the mechanics before I can begin to care.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Having tried the demo, it really didn't impress me. It felt like someone had the idea to do a turn-based tactics game, but had only played mobile games and MMOGs previously.

bart_anshar

Anshar Studios
Developer
These days, it's difficult for me to get interested in a new RPG based on a casual observation. I need to know something of the mechanics before I can begin to care.
Hey,

My name is Bartek, and I am a Community Manager at Anshar Publishing.

In this case, I would encourage you to check on the dev diaries we're releasing every other day; we were already writing about the stats, and the Outpost, which is crucial for the gameplay. We have in plans to talk more about character classes, crafting, combat, bosses, etc. Everything will be posted both on Steam and our Kickstarter page, so keep your eye on them.

bart_anshar

Anshar Studios
Developer
visually speaking, looks like a TB Dungeon Siege 2. Which is a good thing.

Backed. But I'm not optimistic as to wether they will make their goal.
Thank you that you believe in the project. It's worth mentioning, that the game release is not at risk at all; a Kickstarter campaign has been created to use the funds we can get to improve the game, its mechanics, and implement more features.

bart_anshar

Anshar Studios
Developer
Having tried the demo, it really didn't impress me. It felt like someone had the idea to do a turn-based tactics game, but had only played mobile games and MMOGs previously.
Sorry to hear that. Maybe you'll enjoy the game more after its release, as the story will be more understandable since you will start from the very beginning. Fun fact, Zoria was intended to be a mobile game at the very early stage of the development :)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Sorry to hear that. Maybe you'll enjoy the game more after its release, as the story will be more understandable since you will start from the very beginning. Fun fact, Zoria was intended to be a mobile game at the very early stage of the development :)
I'll check back when it's released. It does look charming and I was looking forward to trying the demo at first, but I was not sold on the core mechanics. I'd be more forgiving if it was just the story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom