Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Zoria: Age of Shattering - a party-based RPG with base management

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm glad that I played it. Because of the demo, I have come to the conclusion that this is a game that I will not buy.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
The first few minutes of the demo felt like it's a game with a charming atmosphere, but very little to do. In half an hour it started to feel like there is actually pretty much everything a RPG of this sort should have. Crafting, meaningful conversation with branching outcomes. Different approaches to one solution, expanded inventory, big freedom over abilities (fast warrior or tank or bit of both or critical hit warrior...?), tactical turn-based combat. The only one thing I didn't like has been the skill tree. It seemed... idk how to put it, bland, I guess. But that was the first impression, it may change.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1159090/view/3400800224011760693
Tiny Trinket Games X Anshar Publishing
Hi adventurers!

You may have noticed that the field "Publisher" has changed on our Steam page. Yes,
WE HAVE A PUBLISHER
!

7ed1505fc6cdb24e9681f9ef3adcf3cae44c397c.gif

As many of you know, we've been working on
Zoria
for years (five, to be specific); our studio is made of only three people who share the passion for narrative turn-based RPGs. For five years, we've been working day jobs, and after that, we worked on the project
every single day
, as we wanted to make the game everything players and we wanted it to be. Unfortunately, it took quite some time, the genre is not the easiest one either, but now, we could
quit our jobs and focus
100% on
Zoria
! ❤️

2faa67ef51b256cc92b37461076498e9fc9bd6a5.jpg

The negotiations were not long; we got along pretty quickly

We understand that you may wonder
what it means
for the game and you, the players.
Anshar Publishing
team reached out to us because they genuinely liked our game idea, and just like us, they want to help it grow.
They
took over
our social media some time ago and are helping us promote Zoria to a wider number of people. We're thrilled that they will assist us here and share their knowledge to help us deliver the game to all of you

Besides social media, we're getting help with
marketing and full game release
! The other great thing about our cooperation is that we're talking about many things, including new ideas for the game - all of them must be improved by us, so be sure that the game's concept will stay
unchanged
. We're already working on something huge; we can't say what yet, but keep your eyes on our social media as the information will be public soon! We can, however, show you an
exclusive screenshot
of what you will see in the final game

7a268385b272188dfb887f252c11cca358b9ff8f.png

But who are they in the first place?

They are an indie publisher in love with isometric narrative RPGs and even more genres. They have already released a narrative, non-combat RPG,
Gamedec
. The journey looks promising, and we can almost see the destination point!

But that's not all! We have more information for you today; Zoria: The Age of Shattering
will be presented in Cologne on Gamescom 2022
You can meet and chat with the folks from Anshar Publishing and ask them some questions!

af1b75c3728f31bed5df7117aabdaee3c18525d8.jpg

Be there!

- Tiny Trinket Games

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1159090/view/3396299794588709335
Kickstarter campaign is coming soon!
Hello adventurers!

Your eyes are perfectly fine! It's true; we're launching a Kickstarter campaign very soon!

Why have we decided on this step? Thanks to Kickstarter, we can engage a broader community in the development process, implement exciting extra content, and spread the word about Zoria! Along with the campaign, we will have a big surprise that we can't wait to share with you.

Share this news with all your friends who love RPGs with turn-based combat, and click the big green button "Notify me on launch" on our Kickstarter page to be up to date with the campaign, news, and more!

You can visit the page by clicking >here<.

Keep your eye on our social media; as soon we'll have more detailed information for you, like the date of a launch!

Until the next time ❤️

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ansharpublishing/zoria-age-of-shattering/posts/3613325

We're Tiny Trinket Games, pleased to meet ya! | Info about free demo​

092514ca0b56590407555c9418cff021_original.jpg

It’s happening!

Hello! Many of you are hearing about us for the first time. Let us quickly introduce ourselves. We're Tiny Trinket Games, a team of 3 passionate devs from Bucharest, Romania, who dream of creating impactful RPG games. Sounds cliche, right?

We've been working on Zoria: Age Shattering since 2018. We can proudly say we have around 80% of the finished content. We teamed up with Anshar Publishing to give you guys as many opportunities as possible to get familiar with Zoria. That's why we treat Kickstarter as a part of the community-driven approach to our fans. The collected budget will be spent on improvements and additional content we have ideas for, like new classes, locations, and mechanics, which will make the world of Zoria more complex and offer what players expect from immersive RPGs. We hope you will join us on this journey!

c0087b540f9a06fe3c2125409f97c402_original.jpg

In the next update, we will unveil more information about Zoria's Lore, and we'll break through every game mechanic. Today we have to stick with the most crucial thing – Zoria: Age of Shattering demo is now available on Steam for free!

The demo we're presenting covers a part of the game, which will be available later in the full release. In this build, we wanted to focus on a cross-sectional presentation of the mechanics and story of the Zoria world. To fully enjoy the gameplay, it is essential to remember that each teammate has a skill tree, which requires the distribution of skill points.

You should also regularly look around by rotating the camera during combat and exploration. Make sure the place you've visited has been viewed from all angles and you haven't missed anything. Have fun with the game: play with the team's configuration, attacks, skills, and development paths. Depending on the skills of your team members, some quests will be able to be completed differently, and some ways and objects will become accessible to you.

203a3c7e0f220dad13b3f387548e57bd_original.jpg

Due to this build's "work-in-progress" nature, you may encounter some minor (hopefully not major!) issues. If this happens, we would appreciate it if you would alert us of them. Please share any feedback with us via the Discord server!

CONTROLS​

In-World Shortcuts

• Use your mouse to move. Click on the target you wish your party to move to.
  • Hold the right mouse button and drag the mouse to rotate the camera.
  • Use the mouse scroll to zoom in and out the view.
[TAB] Activates the “Vision” ability. This allows you to see all items of interest around the character.

[C] Access the Character Abilities Menu

Access the Character Inventory Menu

[M] Access the Map

[R] Access the Rest System

[T] Access the Party Formation Menu

[F] Collect all loot within range

[ESC] Access the Main Menu

[F1]-[F4] Quick shortcut to follower inventory

[F5] Quick Save

IN-COMBAT SHORTCUT

Use your mouse to move. Click on the target you wish your character to move to.

[1] – [8] Select Ability

[Mouse Click] to Select Target

[Backspace] End Turn

[Enter] Confirm

[Middle Mouse Button] + [Mouse Move] or [W][A]S[D] Pan View

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

These are the Suggested Requirements. To be changed based on data collected during the pre-alpha build.

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system

Processor: Intel Core i5 / AMD Ryzen 5 or better

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1050 / AMD R9 280 or better

DirectX: Version 11

Storage: 20 GB of available space

Enjoy!
Team Zoria

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Yeah got into it pretty excited, knowing nothing about the game. After about 30 minutes, I just feel it's very bland - dialogues and world interaction are linear, combat and skill trees are too simple. I haven't tried cooking or alchemy, so maybe I'll do so later.

One other thing that irks the hell out of me is that you can't rotate your characters. This creates the annoying situation where you might move to change position to face two enemies, but because you can't turn your character's facing, he's going to be dealt flank damage multiple times.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1159090/view/3307354336733999521
Dev Diary #3 - The Kingdom of Nulbarak
Hey adventurers!

As we released a new demo a couple of days ago, we want to introduce you to a few locations you will visit while exploring the Kingdom of Nulbarak.

dc358cbe0ce244d338010d287b02c3c559a90da1.png

The garrison at the Lonely Tower is beheld as a tyrant in these lands, and the villagers wish to be rid of them. This will work greatly in our favor, should we be able to exploit this.

2b6064deffa634fff3bbc0bb912f2384fb47e33d.jpg

However, be prepared; the path to the garrison is not easy; some sort of magical barrier protects it! The soldiers guard the secret closely, and nobody outside the barrier’s borders seems to know anything about it.

52551e15775d26c80fc621341f8dfe4131b27772.png

The turmoil in the lands of Nulbarak grows, aided in some measure by us. That is not to say we caused any new degree of conflict but merely helped the villagers stand up to the tyrannical regime of the Elionian soldiers. We have stood on the side of the common folk of Nulbarak, helping them cut off the supplies going to the soldiers and culminating with an assault of the garrison on the fledgling militia of Nulbarak.

5dbe04524ab238e22a52d962855f7831a08e9e59.png

Here you can prepare for the journey on the paths of Nulbarak. Recruit your followers, and prepare the necessary potions in the Wizard Tent using your crafting skills. Remember to spend your ability points! Each of your followers has a separate amount.

7bedbf9c5d84b542b304e1d48d40822d4f2cc34d.png

Through sweat and blood we have recovered a strange badge from the soldiers of the garrison. It appears to protect them from the harmful effects of the barrier surrounding the Lonely Tower, granting them safe passage. Our leading scientist, Reija, has managed to replicate the workings of the strange device and create similar items for our men. Though the technology is something way beyond our times, we now possess the means to get closer to our goal.

We want to leave this one as a mystery. Find your way to the Lonely Tower and discover what mysteries it contains!

Of course, there is more, but we don't want to show you everything! But as a hint, we can say there are places you can visit only with specific characters in your team!

d893623e471043164582e0ee1a987aa9820fae6b.png

Play the demo, and learn what secrets the Kingdom of Nulbarak protects!

Until the next time!

Team Zoria

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just gave it another go and it's still no good despite trying hard to like it. Combat and exploration are boring, dialogues are linear, everything has a cheap MMO feel about it. Yeah, that's a no from me dawg.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPGWatch interview: https://rpgwatch.com/articles/zoria--age-of-shattering-interview-527.html

Zoria: Age of Shattering Interview

banner-1713.jpg

Welcome back it's time for another interview. This time with Tiny Trinket Games about their just launched Kickstarter game Zoria: Age of Shattering. So without any further delay here we go.

-> Kickstarter

RPGWatch: Welcome to RPGWatch and agreeing to the interview.

An update mentioned Tiny Trinket Games was started by three passionate devs. How did all three of you meet and decide to make your own game Zoria: Age of Shattering?

Tiny Trinket Games: It's a bit of a long story. Stefan Nicolescu has been working in game development since...forever, covering multiple roles throughout the years. Me, Stefan Nitescu, I had a more diverse professional experience, having studied architecture, but somehow always returned to gaming, at least as a hobby.

At some point, Stefan Nicolescu started working on some small projects on his own, and after a couple of projects wanted to do something bigger, we had a very good chat on this, and we've been working on games ever since.

The problem is the two of us are not programmers, not at the level necessary for anything more than post "hello world!" on the screen. Fortunately, we met Gabi at a conference (about video games) and realized he's of a similar mindset, wanting to create something of his own. We pitched him the project we were working on, and from there on, we started working together.

The project we pitched to him back then was a Mobile base management game, which was the maximum of what we hoped our team could handle.

But with his participation and realizing what we could create together, we changed the project moving towards PC and then towards a lot more than a simple management game - to an RPG, the kind of game we have always wanted to make.

Zoria: Age of Shattering - Kickstarter Trailer

RPGWatch: What are some of your team's favorite RPGs, and did any of them influence the development of Zoria: Age of Shattering?

Tiny Trinket Games: We've been playing games for so long that it's tough to tell which ones have more influence. From classics like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Fallout, and Wasteland to MMO RPGs like World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Warhammer Online, and many others.

We've played them all, and each has a special place because of something - either a character, the story, the world design, or a particular quest. We are each a sum of our experiences, and I'm sure players will discover influences we are unaware of or games we have played so long ago we have forgotten about.

One particular influence not necessarily of the classic RPGs is the XCOM series, of which I've been a fan since playing the first two games back in the early 90s (back when it started as UFO).

You can see that in combat a bit, but more you can see that in how we handle the player's base and team - not with a fixed set of 3-4 characters but with a roster of many characters, more than 20 for sure in the final game.

RPGWatch: Steam mentions the game will have outposts and followers. That seems very ambitious. Can you share some details on these areas of the game?

Tiny Trinket Games: Yes, this is that special influence I was talking about previously. The player will have many characters at his disposal to choose from when exploring the world or its dungeons. You can select or change your party any time you're in the Outpost, depending on the area you want to explore or the kind of gameplay you prefer. Each class has a skill tree, so you can have two characters of the same class with different builds and use them depending on the area.

The problem with this approach is that there's always a favorite team, and characters are under-leveled or under-geared. To compensate for this, we have the Missions system, where you can send some of the characters that are not in your party on missions. Depending on mission difficulty and team setup, you can return with items, recipes, and, most importantly, experience. This way all the team members will be of comparable level.

Apart from everything related to the followers and missions, the Outpost has crafting and alchemy, as well as building upgrades that will add different perks to the game.

RPGWatch: The prologue demo has been available on Steam and now GOG. Has the feedback from players been positive or negative?

Tiny Trinket Games: So far, the feedback has been positive for this demo, but it's still early, and we're always comparing it with previous public appearances.

The very first public appearance of Zoria: Age of Shattering was the Prologue back in 2020, and it's now sitting at 84% positive on Steam, and that's our best way to evaluate the game's reception.

Sure, that Prologue is old now and doesn't represent what the game is today, but it helped us get here with all the reviews and feedback we received. A lot of the feedback we received on that Prologue made the game is what it is today, so having this campaign with the new demo will undoubtedly help the development going forward.

RPGWatch: Another update mentioned the game was being published by Anshar Publishing. How did that happen, and why the decision to use crowdfunding?

Tiny Trinket Games: The collaboration with Anshar came at the right time, allowing us to focus on the game's development, and we're very glad to have done this. They have previously launched Gamedec and worked on several important titles in the RPG genre. They contacted us as part of their development into publishing since they want to publish RPGs first and foremost - so expect more exciting titles from them.

It took very little time to get from the initial conversation to realizing we wanted to do this partnership, and in a matter of a few months, we were working together on Zoria.

The decision to use crowdfunding is not in any way related to whether the game will be completed. That is a certainty. This decision is more related to what the game will be. We want to do many things with the game, both in terms of content and systems, but at some point, you have to draw the line and say, "this will not be in the game." This campaign should show us how the reception for the game would be and how much of what we want to do with it actually makes sense.

RPGWatch: Talking about crowdfunding what's your opinion on it, and do you still think it has a place in future game development?

Tiny Trinket Games: I think it's one of the most important things that happened to game development in the last decade. Crowdfunding has influenced the prospect for smaller developers in many ways, from showing that there is a public (or not) for a game to provide means to develop the game. Sure, video games are expensive to make, very much so, and a crowdfunding campaign doesn't always show the actual cost. Still, a successful campaign can give a developer confidence, which is very important since many small games are self-funded, from day jobs and the developers' savings.

RPGWatch: How has the experience been with Kickstarter? Also I read today the early bird special has sold out. Will another option be offered?

Tiny Trinket Games: So far, the campaign is going great. The reception is better than we could have hoped for. Another option for the early bird ... I don't know. It's not something we have discussed. I'm not sure it would be fair to those that missed it and decided to support us anyway. It's always unpleasant to buy something only to see it discounted the next day. We believe transparency and honesty are the essential assets you, as a developer, has in communicating with your players.

RPGWatch: Can you share a sneak peek at stretch goals, and what's your opinion on them? As some games focus too much on then, and it slows development.

Tiny Trinket Games: Our Stretch Goals, if we reach them, will not slow the development. According to the calendar, we will release an Early Access in the first quarter of 2023. And we will try to have at least part of them ready. From then, we have another six months to get feedback, polish, and add new content. As we mentioned, the game is 80% complete, and we are confident in our timeline.

And what can you expect in stretch goals? Perhaps there will be new character customization options. Perhaps there will be new character classes. Perhaps there will be small, fluffy companions. Who knows?

RPGWatch: So far funding has been at a steady pace, but just in-case funding fails is there a backup plan in place?

Tiny Trinket Games: There's no need for a backup plan. We will surely be disappointed, but the game is being released no matter what, as we have said on the Kickstarter page. The release is not in any danger, but a failed campaign will mean there's not as much publicity for it as we anticipated and we'll have to stick to the initial design. And there's a lot more we would love to bring to the game if there's a public for it.

RPGWatch: Do you have any advice for gamers who want to develop their own game, and if so can you share some insight about game development?

Tiny Trinket Games: Since we're here, there's a bit of survivor bias in our advice. Doing this and having a great partnership with Anshar makes me wary of giving advice. We did stick to our vision, as inappropriately big as it looked for a small team. We worked on it every day, even if it's 30 minutes, do what's necessary to keep life going in terms of day jobs and moderate your expectations, especially about when something is going to be ready. Keeping the team together is the most important, especially since we worked on this in our free time for a long time while supporting ourselves through some other means.

RPGWatch: Well that's a wrap once again thank you for your time. Do you have anything you want to say before the interview is concluded?

Tiny Trinket Games: Thank you all for being a part of this, whether by backing us or following the game. A special thank you to our Discord community, who's been with us since the first demo and are there daily reminding us for whom we are making the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ansharpublishing/zoria-age-of-shattering/posts/3619237

Dev Diary #4 - Let's talk a bit more about The Outpost​

Hello adventurers!

Let's discuss one crucial mechanics in Zoria: Age of Shattering; The Outpost.

As we already know, The Outpost is a place where you rest, craft, recruit or remove de-buffs, to name a few. But let's get into the details!

8b67161b276e592372cf477426c0a1a9_original.jpg

Relevant to this article are two aspects of exploration and combat:

Fatigue: is a stat that increases with time spent out in the wilds and is also affected by how many encounters a follower has fought through. The more fatigue a character accumulates, the less effective that character gets, with stats decreasing a little at first and significantly as fatigue gets too high levels.

Supplies: The resting mechanic is the best way to recover followers' health and clear certain effects.

Supplies: Resting out in the field takes time and requires supplies, as followers can’t go around hungry. Supplies can be found during exploration but can also be obtained through cooking. It is advised to take enough supplies from the Outpost when leaving for an adventure.

One aspect of the game we haven’t talked a lot about is the base and base management: The Outpost and all the outpost systems. Because exploration, questing, and combat are just a part of the game, what truly differentiates Zoria: Age of Shattering from other CRPG titles is how base and character management is integrated into the game.

00cc71e3deb1057ec6d98b098d6dd258_original.jpg

Characters:

The player is not limited to a set of companions that will follow throughout the game, as it is usually the case, but is free to recruit many, either from the world, through quests, or from different locations within the game. The only limit to the player is the party size, but the Barracks inside the outpost act as a home to all the followers that are not in the current party.

835b01182d465224086ed44dcb357343_original.png

Every time the player leaves the Outpost, he is free to choose whatever party composition he wants, limited only to what followers are available at that point. This means players can have a party suited to their playstyle or to the places they want to visit – dark dungeons full of traps where Thieves can come in handy or long-forgotten ruins where Mages or Lancers can make exploration easier.

The only constant in the party is the Captain; all the other characters can be switched in or out of the party every time the player returns to the Outpost.

The Barracks:

The heart of the Follower Management system is the place where you can equip your troops with the newest weapons you crafted, the most powerful potions, and special items found in the dungeons they conquered. You can also see on this screen your Follower’s level, stats, status, and the abilities they have unlocked.

4492aea13f123f2bebea52f4326b65ab_original.jpg

The Burrow:

All that adventuring and fighting will increase troops' fatigue, and with fatigue increasing, everything else goes down, including Follower stats and combat efficiency. The best way to recover your troops is to send them to the “Moon Flower” BURROW for some rest… actually it’s the only way. This means not all your followers will be available all the time; some will need a longer stay than others, depending on their Fatigue level and wounds received during their time adventuring.

Besides its strictly functional role, the Moon Flower Burrow’s manager, Madame Sybilla is an… exotic character with some interesting stories and quests.

d6eaca0985bc546a8bd4e41718f03614_original.jpg

The Inn:

The Lucky Dog Inn serves many purposes in the Outpost, being as much a utility building as it is a quest hub and a place to meet interesting characters.

The utility aspect of the Inn refers to cooking, as the Inn is the place where all the cooking takes place in the Outpost. Sure, cooking can also be done on the road, but sometimes it’s preferable to do that in the Outpost where all the materials gathered are stored.

Another very important factor related to the Inn is recruiting. Since recruiting is done in more than one way, and some quests, depending on the outcome, can offer the option to recruit a character, the Inn is not the only way to expand a player’s roster of followers, but it can still be quite an effective one.

9d42617c9db6568332313446b79ebc1a_original.jpg

The Black Cauldron:

As is the case with cooking, alchemy can also be performed on the road for a quick healing potion to get out of trouble but having access to all the materials gathered is, most of the time, the better option.

29cf3db1aa1851a04d2ff7ef43ee2a3a_original.jpg

The Blacksmith:

Crafting can only be performed in the Outpost, and the Blacksmith is the place to do that. Being part of the Outpost facilities, crafting is accessible through the Blacksmith and uses the Outpost inventory, where all the materials accumulated during the player’s adventures are located.

As with most of the buildings in the Outpost, the Blacksmith can be upgraded, providing access to more recipes or other bonuses.

fa33eace49a0cda705b36b423f044f7e_original.jpg

Storage:

The game has two inventories: the party’s inventory and the Outpost’s inventory.

As is usually the case, the party’s inventory is limited.

On the other hand, the Outpost's inventory is not limited, allowing for the accumulation of large quantities of materials necessary to craft, equip and supply a large roster of followers. Because of this, most crafting will take place at the Outpost, with alchemy and cooking being accessible in the field but relying only on the materials gathered in that sortie.

Building Upgrades:

Many of the buildings in the Outpost can be upgraded, bringing all sorts of bonuses to the player, from faster healing to better weapons and armor available for crafting. Each building has its specific upgrade levels and requirements that can be related to either resources or specific quests.

Missions:

With a large roster of characters comes the unavoidable problem of favorite characters. When unavailable or unsuitable for a certain dungeon, they have to rely on lower-level or badly geared followers. Also, with many followers crafting and the availability of materials are vital. To answer both of these issues is the task of the Missions system.

The player can send followers that are idle in the Outpost on certain Missions, missions that, if successful, award the player with materials, recipes, items, gold, and experience for the followers. Some followers can also return wounded or fatigued from the missions, requiring recovery time in the Burrow, so it’s wise to choose wisely the missions and the characters.

0d7b67c1bf30feb1c668141e87a3dc4d_original.jpg

This is just a brief description of the systems that make up the base and follower management aspect of the game.

We will be back with more dev diaries soon!

Cheers,

Team Zoria

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ansharpublishing/zoria-age-of-shattering/posts/3622427

Dev Diary #5 – Combat in Zoria​

Hello commanders!

In today's Dev Diary, we'll cover what many tactical RPG fans like best: combat. We designed it to be dynamic, fluid, and inviting to engage. But how did we achieve that? Enjoy the read below!

14b41836abd227661145d1382f08f999_original.gif

Classes​

In your team, you will have characters of different classes, each of which will have a tree of 16 skills, from which you will choose 9, giving you the chance to try other builds and tactics. For example, the Wizard class can pick all the water-based spells, fire-based spells, or a mix of them. The same Wizard class can follow the route of AoE or single target damage or favor a more protection-oriented build.

Abilities vary from single target to effect over time and area of effect. Some include summoning, spawning area-of-effect items on the battlefield, or using line-of-sight and blocking enemies' paths.

Your protagonist, the Commander, Andar Witherell, is a special class on its own and can either go the route of damage dealer, shield buffer, or healer, with a lot of flexibility in its skills.

When completing a team, the critical thing to pay attention to is class synergy. Classes can protect, heal, or empower other characters, and creative use of special abilities (taunts and control) can provide exciting encounters.

df184b4ab956c015995da565b7aa3194_original.jpg

Resources​

There are several combat-specific resources: Action Points, Focus, and Mana/Energy.

Action Points: Each character or enemy character has two Action Points. You can use these points for moving (both APs), moving and abilities use (1AP + 1AP), or if in a favorable position, abilities only (2APs). Remember that some high-impact abilities cost more than others and have a 2AP cost.

Focus: Each class generates Focus by using other abilities or by the use of a potion. Focus is always 0 at the beginning of combat and can reach a maximum of 100.

Mana/Energy: This set of resources is directly connected to the Intellect and Agility stats and can be replenished by resting or using potions.

ca0410fc3faea009143a0f35d1995527_original.gif

Battlefield​

Zoria is not using a traditional grid-based system, thus making the combat a bit more fluid. You will still have battlefield obstacles that can hinder you or your enemy.

When observing the environment during the battle, you need to pay attention to using line-of-sight - your character cannot fire while another party member or enemy is in front of him. The same is true for the enemies - they will move into position to attack a character if they are out of sight. Also, initiating combat near an environment trap can lead to the creative use of such traps to aid in battle.

But, even if the scales of victory start tipping to you, you can't be sure of your success. The combat is turn-based, but the world around continues to work on the real-time system. Enemies patrolling nearby can join the action if they get within range, so it can turn simple situations into really complicated fights, depending on the area.

2d20d1f8f7861e8e306ce423432e84db_original.png

After this description, we hope you fancy a little skirmish. That's why we invite you to test our free demo and share any feedback you have.

Until the next one!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ansharpublishing/zoria-age-of-shattering/posts/3629093

Dev Diary #6 - Religion​

Hey everyone!

Zoria lore is huge! Today we want to focus on the topic of religion, which, of course, is present in the game's world.​

We believe it will be interesting to talk more about this; religion is important to us as people, therefore why not dig into this a little bit? There are three main churches:

023eab7490df9d54484425d0e4faeb96_original.jpg

1. The Church of Torath, also known as The Church Zoria’s Light

Generally, Monotheistic, with smaller figures involved in the mythos, established religion within Elion and extended with varying influence into most of the Uram continent.

Gods:

- Torath - God of Light, believed to carry the sun on his back across the sky and responsible for bringing light, heat, and general well-being to the citizen of Zoria.

- Torhuz – God-like figure, brother of Torath and polar opposite. Believed to dwell in the depths of the night and fight an eternal battle with Torath for control of the skies.

With the dual-moon specific of Zoria, two eclipses are happening, one incomplete and one that completely covers the sun, believed to be instances of a great war between the two brothers and bad omens for the people.

The stars are believed to be spirits sent by Torath to light the night sky and prevent Torhuz from bringing eternal darkness to the world.

47b7fe576cdbda11b5360778e973b574_original.jpg

2. The Church of the 9 Gods

Polytheistic, widespread throughout the Uram continent. Based on ancient humanoid gods said to inhabit Vrukmanar, the volcanic landmass east of Uram.

Gods:

Athys - Goddess of Light, governor and chief of all gods (patron saint of Priests and Battle Clerics)

Dhases - God of Prosperity (patron saint of Bards, Merchants, and Traders)

Garom- God of War and Fire(patron saint of Mercenaries Battle Clerics and Lancers)

Amaldir - God of Earth and Nature, Husband of Mei-Devi(patron saint of Rangers, Farmers, Commoners, and Hunters)

Niala - Goddess of Magic and Dance (patron saint of Wizards and Mages < Difference between the two would be that Wizard is MALE only name for the magic practitioner, while Sorceress is the FEMALE equivalent. Mage is Neutral; both males and females can use this term to identify themselves as magic practitioners.

Thedara - Goddess of Protection and Constructions, daughter of Athys and Chaos (patron saint of Sentinels and Kingsmen)

Mei-Devi - Goddess of Patience, the Waters and the Night, sister of Han-Jhora (patron saint of Thiefs and Sailors)

Mira - Goddess of Passion and Love (patron saint of Bard)

Han-Jhora - God of the Dead and Ruler of the Underworld, brother of Mei-Devi (patron saint of Necromancers)

4a96970e810607f360b369476acc0010_original.jpg

3. The Temple of Karne - Animist religion is based on the belief that all living creatures and even inanimate objects are inhabited by the spirit of Zoria, a spirit that is responsible for all the magic within the world.

Which church would you join? Subjectively, The Temple of Karne speaks to us very loudly!

Until the next time!

Team Zoria

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ansharpublishing/zoria-age-of-shattering/posts/3632461

Dev Diary #7 - Crafting​

Hey adventurers!

Crafting is the iconic aspect of the RPG genre; indeed, in Zoria, you can also craft items. Let's talk more about this topic and dig into the specifics!​

Crafting in Zoria revolves around two key elements – recipes and the player's freedom to experiment and optimize.

The Crafting Screen:

The screen is split into three parts:

• Available recipes on the left side
  • Inventory with all the available materials and crafting items on the right side
  • The crafting area is in the center.
Once a recipe is selected, that item's characteristics, base stats, and requirements appear in the crafting area. You have to fill each requirement slot with the specified number of materials (e.g., two crystal slots and one metal slot).

e62d592c416da745151284a12af3e163_original.jpg

• The item's stats change according to the materials used to fill the slots, with the complete stats visible in the central screen's upper part.
  • The lower part of the central screen is where the unique slots are located: the Crafting Kit slot and the Unstable Slot.
  • Below them is the item's cost to craft and the Crafting Chance, which will remain 100% as long as no material is added to the Unstable Slot.

Recipes:

A recipe is necessary to craft any item like armor, Weapon, or Trinket. You can acquire these recipes in several ways:

• Exploration – either on the main area map or exploring dungeons and hidden places.
  • Quest rewards – by performing certain tasks and doing various quests.
  • Missions – by sending characters on unattended missions that reward recipes.
Recipes and items they help craft are grouped by rarity:

• Common
  • Uncommon
  • Rare
  • Exotic
  • Epic
Each recipe allows the player to craft a specific item: Armor, Weapon, or Trinket of the recipe's rarity.

f97b6e0252f520bc0d9ad682e16ca073_original.png

All recipes have the following:

• Item Level.
  • Item Type: Armor, Weapon, Trinket
  • Base Stats – 1 to 3 base stats specific to the recipe, depending on item rarity.
  • Item Durability.
  • Crafting Kit slot.
  • Crafting slots, the number depending on rarity.
  • Unstable Slot.
Item Level:

• Each recipe can craft an item of a certain level, its base stats depending on this level as much as the recipe's rarity.
Item Type:

• For Armors – Armor Type – light, medium, hardened, heavy
  • For Weapons – Weapon Type – sword, axe, dagger, etc.
Base stats, depending on item types:

• Armors can have 1-3 Main Stats, depending on rarity - Stamina, Strength, Agility, Intellect.
  • Depending on rarity, weapons can have 1-3 Main or Secondary Stats.
  • Shields can have 1-3 Main Stats, depending on rarity, and a Block Chance Stat.
  • Trinkets can have 1-3 Secondary Stats, depending on rarity.
These stats are fixed for each recipe and will add their values to the custom slots of the recipe.

Item Durability:

• All items have base durability. This base durability is based on the Common Crafting Kit.
  • You can improve the item's durability by using better Crafting Kits.
Crafting Kit Slot:

• Crafting Kits are the base of any item to be crafted.
  • You can use the Common Crafting Kit to prepare any weapon or armor item, and it comes with a base Durability value.
  • Players can use other Crafting Kits to craft specific items of greater durability – Uncommon, Rare, and Exotic Crafting Kits provide greater durability for the crafted item. Still, they are specific to an item type.
  • The type of Crafting Kit used is entirely at the player's discretion; the recipes have no limitations.
Freedom to experiment and optimize:

The Crafting Slots and Unstable Slots together allow the player to experiment and craft several different items based on the same recipe, depending on the materials used.

Crafting Slots

• Depending on rarity, a recipe has 2-5 crafting slots.
  • Each Crafting Slot has a Material Type and a quantity – e.g., For a common item, the recipe can have the following slots: 2x Metal and 3x Fabric.
  • For an item to be crafted, you must complete all required slots.
  • An item will be successfully crafted using materials of the type and quantity specified in the Recipe: Metals, Fabrics, or Crystals.
  • Each material provides a different stat allowing the player to experiment and create additional items starting from the same recipe.
  • Completing all Crafting Slots with the appropriate materials results in a 100% chance to craft that item.

f87eff45bd38e9077c41fa86338b3668_original.jpg

Unstable Slot

This is the true wildcard of the crafting system, allowing the player greater freedom in crafting but bringing along greater risk in the crafting process.

• Additional to the normal Crafting Slots that provide a 100% chance to craft the item, all recipes also include an unstable slot.
  • This unstable slot is optional; filling it is not required to craft an item.
  • The Unstable Slot is the only slot where Fragments can be placed, a particular type of crafting material that provides enhanced stats.
  • The Unstable Slot allows the player to craft more powerful items but decreases the added risk of the item's chance to be successfully crafted.
  • For each item placed in the Unstable Slot, the chance to craft decreases by 15%, and the item's durability decreases by 3%.
47862de7e2978a2f0e9dcf9d66b53264_original.jpg

The Blacksmith:

Being part of the Outpost facilities, crafting is accessible through the Blacksmith and uses the Outpost inventory, where all the materials accumulated during the player's adventures are located.

20606f48ca42eccbb2631e21ce34395e_original.jpg

We hope you enjoyed this dev diary. Just a reminder that there are six days left in the campaign, so we encourage you to support us in reaching our goal! Send Zoria to your friends, siblings, parents, and colleagues. Let them know about the power and timelessness of tactical RPGs!

Until the next time!

Team Zoria

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ansharpublishing/zoria-age-of-shattering/posts/3641130

This is it! The campaign ends, but there is no time to rest!​

Hey everyone!

We have raised over 36 000 euros! With this amazing accent, our Kickstarter campaign ends.​

8a71d73f2d6198f194233a9c0c6e51f3_original.jpg

Firstly, we want to say "Thank you for your trust!" to everyone who backed the project. You are amazing, and because of you, we know that what we do is worthy! We are almost at the end of the 5-year Zoria development journey, and we are thrilled to reach the destination with you!

5a480311a2160f47ded803d73d6dc8b8_original.gif

It's been a productive month, full of dev diaries, cross promos, and leaks of what will happen with Zoria soon. The upcoming months will be filled with further updates, diaries, and overall information on what's coming up for the game. But let's focus on the closest time frame. We are planning to give our backers access to the extended demo we promised in a week! This will be completely new content, never released to the public; there will be two huge locations, one main questline, and side quests. We're already excited for you to check it out.

We want to invite you to Zoria's discord server, where you can chat and share your feedback directly with us. Of course, feel free to reach us via our Social Media channels, comments, or discussion threads on Steam as well! We thrive on the feedback and want Zoria to be your best possible experience!

Once again, thank you! We can't express how grateful we are for your support!

See you soon!

Team Zoria

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom