Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Zodiac Legion - X-COM and dungeons

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It has been one month already!
So, I have been mostly busy catching up with taxes, and everything else I had to delay for these events, but I should be back to coding almost full time next week.
The dev play/interview from Tacticon is now live on youtube here:

I also need to choose between two variants of the key arts on Steam. I asked for a new one as the old one was not very readable, especially when scaled down:

ZL_Capsule_Main3.png

2_Illustration_Capsule_dentete_460x215px.jpg

Which one do you think would work best here?

Definitely the second one. The first looks like a ripoff of Pathfinder and Pillars of eternity combined.

Harthwain

Magister
It has been one month already!
So, I have been mostly busy catching up with taxes, and everything else I had to delay for these events, but I should be back to coding almost full time next week.
The dev play/interview from Tacticon is now live on youtube here:

I also need to choose between two variants of the key arts on Steam. I asked for a new one as the old one was not very readable, especially when scaled down:

ZL_Capsule_Main3.png

2_Illustration_Capsule_dentete_460x215px.jpg

Which one do you think would work best here?

The second one.

The first is hard to read (both in terms of text, because of the ornate "O", and because of the color scheme) and carries little meaningful context outside of "It has combat and undead".

The second is very clear to read, it has a castle in the background and suggests expeditions of some sort. It is much more eye-catching and thought-provoking by comparison.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thank you for your opinions on the pictures! I wanted the original artist to alter the first one a bit, but he has been "busy for the next two months" for 18 months, and it was really hard to read on some parts of Steam, but they are so different it might prove difficult to use one in some situations, and the other elsewhere.
Given the lack of consensus, I will try to AB test them on Steam and see whether they resutl in a different clicktrhough rate.

6 pages of people talking 'bout animations. So wots the gameplay liek
Old xcom
That was the plan in the beginning, but the prevalence of melee brought the game further from it. In a way, it is closer from board game dungeon crawler, like Descent/Heroquest/Warhammer quest than from most established PC RPG (tactical or others) conventions, mostly because there is no distinction between combat and exploration:
Everything is turn-based (which led to some time pressure to avoid spending 3 turns in breach preparation for each room). I think it also makes traps more interesting, as you cannot always spend the time required to reveal/disarm them (sometimes, it's better to just send a newbie to check whether some tiles are trapped).

Quite a few elements of combat were also lifted from Blood Bowl: Support in melee attack and defense works in a similar way, with zone of control canceling it, and moving near an opponent works more like a failed dodge (without the turnover) than an attack of opportunity, as you end up in place, with 0 movement left, and a pinned debuf.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
no offense intended, but what makes this more of an RPG than X-COM?
That is a good question. It depends on what counts as an RPG. The general campaign progression will be roughly similar to X-COM (retrieve and research things, choose your missions on the map, then go through some campaign "stages", ...).
It has a few more non combat skills than X-COM, but I would certainly not consider it a "full-fledged RPG", but more like a tactical RPG, like Battle Brothers, King Arthur or Chaos Gate in this regard.

You also can fight with your commander, because these are the middle age, and the commander is expected to lead his brethren. But you will choose a new commander on death.

Harthwain

Magister
You also can fight with your commander, because these are the middle age, and the commander is expected to lead his brethren. But you will choose a new commander on death.
Can you pick who's your commander or do you start with a predestined one?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Can you pick who's your commander or do you start with a predestined one?
I'm still undecided about this. I wanted to have some kind of election, but I don't see how having AI decide who should be the most popular could work in practice, so it will probably be something like:
Player picks a successor whenever he feels like it, but if it has not been done before the death of a commander, then some kind of election (or omen reading maybe) would take place.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
because these are the middle age
?

I'll admit I don't know much about the game's lore, but shouldn't it be picked by someone above them rather than below?
That is a good point, but the Zodiac order is partly inspired by the crusader knightly orders (Teutonic, Hospitalers, and Templars).
In these, the grandmaster was usually chosen by the highest ranked knights upon his death, and not appointed by the pope.

This is about the Teutonic order
Upon the death of a grand master, the vice master called a capitulum composed of the leading officers of the order. The general chapter would select a twelve-person electoral college composed of seven knights, four sergeants, and one priest. Once a majority-candidate for grand master was chosen, the minority electors would concede to support unanimity. These elections usually provided a succeeding grand master within three months
The Hospitalers would probably be closer from the Zodiac order as power was split between "langues" (culture of origin), with rules governing the distrinution of power between them, so that would be a good fit for our 13 signs.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
?

I'll admit I don't know much about the game's lore, but shouldn't it be picked by someone above them rather than below?

There were tons of elections in the middle ages - the electorate was just often very limited ;)

Abbots/priors were often directly democratically elected by common monks, for example (varies wildly by region and individual monastary, but it wasn't uncommon).

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
?

There were tons of elections in the middle ages - the electorate was just often very limited ;)

Abbots/priors were often directly democratically elected by common monks, for example (varies wildly by region and individual monastary, but it wasn't uncommon).
The Irish elected the kings of their tuath (people/tribe, something like that), if I'm not mistaken in my (very limited) understanding of the workings of tanistry.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I prefer the second pic but the horns feel superfluous. Maybe they're thematic?

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like the second pic as well, but I don't think it properly conveys the idea behind the Zodiac Knights. All of them look same-ish. Maybe have each of the background Knights be uniformed as a different Sign? So like a Saggitarius and a Gemini or something.

Harthwain

Magister
I prefer the second pic but the horns feel superfluous. Maybe they're thematic?
Obviously, since the name of the game is Zodiac Legion. The one on the right could be Aries (Ram), the one on the left is probably Taurus (Bull).

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The second picture is better. The game has a little bit of an issue with the name, as it isn't very memorable. Well, hard to convey anything meaningful in such a tiny image.

Since achieving anything else is not feasible, you should have a half-naked chick there. Either templars legionaries fighting a SUCCubus or rescuing some wench in torn up clothes. Thank me when you make your first 100k in sales. With money.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Here, I even generated you some inspirational material for reference:
https://imgur.com/a/5R4DdIV

Redefine the "Zodiac Legion" a bit and I think you are golden:
lT1QiUa.png

This is pretty golden as well.

vhwsdyl.png

I tried to make it generate a giant big tiddy titan with thicc ass, but most results were unfortunately censored by fascist algorithm. But you get the idea!

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

vhwsdyl.png

I tried to make it generate a giant big tiddy titan with thicc ass, but most results were unfortunately censored by fascist algorithm. But you get the idea!
These AIs really have a problem with limbs. It managed not to draw hands with 3 fingers, so it had to make too many arms :D
It is true that the name is not super memorable. The horns are For Capricornus and Taurus indeed, but it's true that we need someone else as Knight #3, and probably a more "taurus-y" helm.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

vhwsdyl.png

These AIs really have a problem with limbs. It managed not to draw hands with 3 fingers, so it had to make too many arms :D
It is true that the name is not super memorable. The horns are For Capricornus and Taurus indeed, but it's true that we need someone else as Knight #3, and probably a more "taurus-y" helm.
Shortly after you posted these pictures, a controversy about the place of female warriors in the game has started on Steam:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/812910/discussions/0/3487502140245716357/

Also, the game now works fine on Steam Deck (I will update the demo soon):

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Don't listen to those retards, whatever they said, just make the women good looking if you're going to include them. They don't even need to be mostly naked. In fact I like women in armor, like this:
Albert_Lynch_-_Jeanne_d%27Arc.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Today's world breeds some retards. When some troll starts blabbing about vulvas and vaginas I have to think the person is a fucking nut.

Dynamo Rex (mrrexplorer) Nov 5 @ 8:49pm

You can play like women?
Or gonna be some ♥♥♥♥, Battle Brothers?
If you dont think put womens in the game or have some type of excuse about that, forget i play your demo

I have enough with one mysogenist game, other more and my head explode.
Read this fool's other posts. I bet he doesn't even own 1 game. Not a gamer but a retardo-troll. The world would be lucky is Retardo-Rex's head did explode. Ok, wasted enough time on that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom