Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ZeniMax Buys Arkane - Arx Fatalis: New Vegas Announced

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Arkane Studios; Arx Fatalis

<p>So yeah, I made <a href="http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/08/12/quakecon-2010-welcome-to-the-family-arkane-studios/" target="_blank">part of that</a> up. Don't pretend like you wouldn't buy it.</p>
<blockquote>ZeniMax Media Inc., parent company of noted game publisher Bethesda Softworks, today announced it has completed the acquisition of veteran game developer Arkane Studios.<br /><br />Founded in 1999, Arkane has offices in Lyon, France and Austin, Texas and is led by co-creative directors Raphael Colantonio, Arkane&rsquo;s founder and CEO who will also serve as president of Arkane, and Harvey Smith, lead designer on Deus Ex.&nbsp; Arkane&rsquo;s first title, Arx Fatalis, was released in 2002 and became a fan favorite with its highly detailed environments and innovative gameplay. In addition, Arkane developed Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (PC version), and has collaborated on a number of high profile game projects, including Bioshock 2. Arkane is currently working on an unannounced project with Bethesda Softworks.<br /><br />&ldquo;This is an exciting moment for Arkane. After 11 years of independent development, we couldn&rsquo;t think of a better publishing partner,&rdquo; said Colantonio. &ldquo;We share so many creative values. Joining the ZeniMax family will allow us to grow stronger while staying true to the games we love.&rdquo;</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://bethblog.com/">Bethblog</a></p>

Multi-headed Cow

During the kickoff for QuakeCon 2010 today, Pete Hines took the stage to introduce the newest member of the ZeniMax family — Arkane Studios.

News post should have been named "Renowned donkey molester Pete Hines enjoys purchasing developers, ruining gaming" Jason. I'm disappointed with you.

“This is an exciting moment for Arkane. After 11 years of independent development, we couldn’t think of a better publishing partner,” said Colantonio. “We share so many creative values. Joining the ZeniMax family will allow us to grow stronger while staying true to the games we love.”
Having multiple sarcasms over this.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At least they're working on *something* now. DMoMM was the last game they made, wasn't it?
If this one is of the same quality, I'm looking forward to it. One can only hope...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
JarlFrank said:
At least they're working on *something* now. DMoMM was the last game they made, wasn't it?
If this one is of the same quality, I'm looking forward to it. One can only hope...
They supposedly helped with Bioshock 2 as well.

denizsi

Arcane
What, haven't you heard the news? Check ITS forums. Provided, it's not ZeniMax but still...

MisterStone

Arcane
Garble garble garble Arx Fatalis II cover system health bar regen garble garble popamole shit garble garble

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Sagus said:
“This is an exciting moment for Arkane. After 11 years of independent development, we couldn’t think of a better publishing partner,” said Colantonio. “We share so many creative values. Joining the ZeniMax family will allow us to grow stronger while staying true to the games we love.”
Having multiple sarcasms over this.

The same feeling.

Petrell

Educated
Headline should have read: "Arkane Studios absorded by ZeniMax collective! Oblivionised Arx Fatalist 2 in the works!"

I hope sqeezed lot of money out of ZeniMax in exhance of their their immortal souls.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
They have all this money and yet they can't use it to make good games lulz

MetalCraze

Arcane
Console crowd hates games with a passion. So good games won't sell as much as all that "cinematic experience" where you shoot for 20 seconds and watch cutscenes for a minute (like Bad Company 2, Mass Effect, AP and so on).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
MetalCraze said:
Console crowd hates games with a passion. So good games won't sell as much as all that "cinematic experience" where you shoot for 20 seconds and watch cutscenes for a minute (like Bad Company 2, Mass Effect, AP and so on).
Because AP sold so well. :roll:

ortucis

Prophet
I played Arx Fatalis after Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I still haven't done more than just visit some goblins.. or orcs or whatever thanks to the fuckload of crashes and save game corruption because of them (anyone knows any proper fix for crashes? even GOG couldn't fix it with new patch).

HOWEVER, what I have played, so far, has been way superior to triple hype games like Oblivion. I intend to go back to this game (have already finished Dark Messiah like 4 times).

Anyways, good for them. They get funding and we get more than just Bethesda's shitty view of the RPG universe in return. Maybe they will be the first one to use idTech5 after Brink (well, more like idTech 4.5).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I loved Arx Fatalis and it didn't crash for me. It was a intelligent game (as in, you used your brain instead of having quest compass) and full of secrets.

tunguska

Liturgist
Arx Fatalis is one of my favorite games. I replay it like once a year or so. It really was like a modern version of Ultima Underworld. A truly great crpg IMHO. It's true that it doesn't work with my GTX280. I bought the GOG version, but I haven't tried it yet. I really hope that that works with modern graphics cards. I like the game so much I would even maintain a second PC just to run it.

Arkane couldn't get the money to develop another CRPG. So this could help them with the money issue. If only Zenimax would not try to interfere and give them creative freedom, then this could actually be good news. It does appear that Zenimax is giving Obsidian at least some creative freedom with New Vegas. And it seems Zenimax is at least focused on the crpg genre. So I'd like to hope a little for a second crpg from Arkane. I don't consider their "might and magic" title to be an RPG, although I did think it was kind of fun to play for a while in an action game sort of way. At the very least I hope that this will get Arkane out of the action game genre and back where their talents actually lie: making great crpgs in the style of Blue Sky/Looking Glass Studios.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Arkane/LGS never made CRPGs. Arx Fatalis was a fucking Dungeon Crawler with stats, in the vein of Ultima Underworld. Dark Messiah was akin, but with a heavier focus on Action.

That's what Arkane is commited to: Making (intelligent) Action games. With some RPG elemnts thrown in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom