Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zen and the Art of Shogun 2

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Preview ]</strong>

<a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/shogun-2-total-war-preview?page=1" target="_blank">Eurogamer</a> sports a new <a href="http://www.totalwar.com/shogun2" target="_blank"><strong>Shogun 2: Total War</strong></a> preview/interview.
<blockquote>"With a Japanese castle, they look around, find a big mountain or hill with a clear view of the landscape, and chop the top off it. Then they build low walls on top of that - but what we'd regard as the castle walls are really just the sides of a mountain."

As a result, siege weapons become pointless. Instead, those inside the castle can be starved out (boring, if effective) - or, if very confident, they may actually open the castle gates and allow their attackers to enter, hoping to turn each courtyard inside into a death trap for any unwary enough to try their luck.

"The Japanese idea is to open the gates and say, come on in if you're hard enough," says Simpson. "You end up with courtyard-by-courtyard gameplay with different routes through, different traps to fall into - and for the defenders, lots of different options to choose from, too."</blockquote><p>The fun continues with a <a href="http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2010/06/08/shogun-2-total-war-qa/" target="_blank">PR interview</a> at the official Total War Blog.</p><blockquote><p>Empire: Total War introduced naval warfare to the series. Is there a chance that the feature will return to make an impact on feudal Japan?

Of course &ndash; Japan is an island nation, and the sea is never far away. One thing to emphasise is that the way naval battles were fought in Japan during this period is very different from the bigger-is-better artillery-fests of the 18th century European contests we represented in Empire. Japanese ships of the era were full of samurai swordsmen and archers, so we&rsquo;re focusing a lot on boarding systems and stone-scissors-paper interplay between different ship types. Another big addition is the inclusion of land masses at sea: this provides new terrain-based tactical play as well as helping orient the player. We think we can make naval battles in Shogun feel very fresh & new &ndash; and be more fun to play than ever before.
</p></blockquote><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/index.php">Eurogamer</a></p>

Norfleet

I predict that horrible pathfinding and unit cohesion code will make trying to navigate through a maze-castle a nightmare more than it really should be.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Wow... Japan was an island nation, but they were hardly a naval power. This game is going to suck.

Yeah, because Total War was *ever* historical.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks beautiful but graphic is not enough to sell me. I hope they will improve it and won't make crap like they did with Empire and Napoleon.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Der_Unbekannte said:
Sure graphics aren't important. But, these screenshots atleast, look incredible atmospheric. And that is kinda important.

I said I will try it out. Not buy it blindly :smug:
You obviously missed that bit where kris said that something vital was missing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom