Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I have named this disgusting abomination NerevarineKing

image.png

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Chante is a bro.

He is. Can't help, but like him.

Played 4 hours.

Impressions so far:

- It's nice to actually wander around in a big city in the Ys - world. I like Balduq and the premise.
- That said, the game has some pacing issues so far, especially with White Cats story. And the message send by its conclusion ... ho boy. I hope it gets better and that VIII wasn't just that one time they struck gold. But VIII was also the game, where it felt like they put all their love in. In this one, they seem to experiment again.
- Gameplay is fast and fun as it should be.
- The graphics are actually more detailled than in VIII, but I guess the darker colours make it look uglier.
- Adols costume as Crimson King is just pimping. Good to know, that being cursed seems to take care of your daily grooming.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished ys 9. Another fantastic game.

Story wise it grew on me, while it never reach ys 8 emotional peak, overall the story and pacing was more balanced. They throw so much plot points with the characters i was afraid they wouldn't have resolved it satisfyingly but i am glad i am proven wrong.

Everyone even the minor characters and named NPCs got their story arc done and tied in a nice bow.

The bosses are fantastic too but i find it easier than ys8 on hard. Much easier especially since i got bull to deal absurd damage with high crit rate and her skills also deals absurd damage wity absurd range.

The only thing it doesn't have is ys8 sense of discovery and the more natural feel of progression plus the awkward magical barrier.

Sarathiour

Cipher
As reverie is nowhere closed to release, i started playing Ys VIII a few weeks ago, as my first entry in the series.
Honestly i'm hooked to hit, I've just unlock dana's third form.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ys IX is too easy, and the story thus far has been juvenile. Who was it that said Ys has better writing than Cold Steel?

Shadenuat

Arcane
im in final chapter. good ideas, even some OK characters
2x adols having evangelion moment was p touching
; very uninspired, formulaic monotonous boring execution. probably above celceta and felghana, worse than dana, and fairly mediocre dungeons and bosses - obviously below say Napishtim or older titles.
fuck all this open world, it just doesn't fit the spirit and drive of real adventure of an Ys game.
also I can't believe it, but this is finally an Ys without super music.
and I cried a bit at all the europ "references", as well as a girl that says mysterious thing on top of belfry tower and one character actually has Homing Soul Missiles :shittydog:game feels like it was done by someone who had just no bullets left in their gamedesigners gun.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
im in final chapter. good ideas, even some OK characters
2x adols having evangelion moment was p touching
; very uninspired, formulaic monotonous boring execution. probably above celceta and felghana, worse than dana, and fairly mediocre dungeons and bosses - obviously below say Napishtim or older titles.
fuck all this open world, it just doesn't fit the spirit and drive of real adventure of an Ys game.
also I can't believe it, but this is finally an Ys without super music.
and I cried a bit at all the europ "references", as well as a girl that says mysterious thing on top of belfry tower and one character actually has Homing Soul Missiles :shittydog:game feels like it was done by someone who had just no bullets left in their gamedesigners gun.

Unfortunately, gamedsign might suffer from falcom's current production cycle. One game per year is rarely good news. Also NISA seeing that the game sold pretty well, NISA decided to jack up the price.

I guess we can't have nice thing :negative:.

Shadenuat

Arcane
serene girls voice: kind girls voice:
:shredder:

last chapter was ok although I feel like it was recycled from one of previous games tbh
Roo was cute
but mostly it was all very autopilot. apparently there is even only 1 ending :M
like in last trails, credits were the most feels

One game per year is rarely good news.
:neveraskedforthis:
yea sounds rough.
they'll probably overwork themselves to death until they drive good old series into ground entirely.

Last edited:

NerevarineKing

Learned
I definitely agree that Falcom needs to slow down. I'd also like to see them put out something different from Trails or Ys just for a nice change of pace.

Endemic

Arcane
Well the one game per year was a consequence of going public on the Tokyo Stock Exchange to get investment. I guess they could make another filler gacha game...

Sarathiour

Cipher
Well the one game per year was a consequence of going public on the Tokyo Stock Exchange to get investment. I guess they could make another filler gacha game...

Honestly, i guess it would be incline at this point. Throw a bone at the investor and the consoomer by releasing shitty gacha every now and then, in order to regain a more interesting production cycle.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Hmm, a game once a year doesn't mean, that they only have a year for each game. More two years or three years development time, but no delays. So just tighter deadlines, but considering that their output already is a game per year, would it be that different?

Endemic

Arcane
Hmm, a game once a year doesn't mean, that they only have a year for each game. More two years or three years development time, but no delays. So just tighter deadlines, but considering that their output already is a game per year, would it be that different?

Doesn't leave much room for delays or flexibility due to changing market conditions, though. Tokyo Xanadu had to be cobbled together in a rush to make up for delays to Ys VIII and Trails.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom