Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Your goal in Divinity II is to become a dragon

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Divinity 2

<a href="http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/divinity2egodraconis/news.html?sid=6233248&mode=previews">So say GameSpot</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>That said, reading minds can be an effective tool, and a time-saver to boot. Consider one quest we saw in the demo--where the hero of the game was charged by another character to interrogate a prisoner about the whereabouts of a local bandit camp. Your commanding officer wants to know where the camp is so he can overrun it--and there are a couple of different ways to get this done. The long way involves heading to the prisoner's cell and striking up a conversation, gaining his trust, and eventually getting the information you need. The quick way, of course, is to read his mind, learn the location of the bandit camp and the password for entry, and then report back to your commanding officer.
<br>
<br>
It's up to you how you get this information, and it's up to you what you do with the information once you have it. One player might immediately take the location and password to the lieutenant, and another might keep it to himself and explore the bandit camp alone. Either decision has ramifications in the story: If you tell the lieutenant, you'll join in the invasion of the camp and bring the bandits to justice. If you keep the information from your lieutenant, you can check out the camp for yourself, which will open up an entire new set of available quests.</blockquote>
<br>
January release expected.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

Norfleet

I am not certain becoming a dragon is really a great plan. I mean, a dragon is like a big snake, and Evil Overlord Rule #34: I will not turn into a snake. It never helps.

Felix

Arcane
you can also become a tranny, too bad no one in the game recognize it.

Well, originally the goal is to kill all dragons. (S)he starts out with the rest of the Dragon-haters.

Then you get an Atton Rand moment, and what do you know. Dragon.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Norfleet said:
I am not certain becoming a dragon is really a great plan. I mean, a dragon is like a big snake, and Evil Overlord Rule #34: I will not turn into a snake. It never helps.

I don't think that's what Rule #34 is.

Norfleet

Callaxes said:
I don't think that's what Rule #34 is.
You're thinking of Internet Rule 34, pertaining to the Internets. This is from the Evil Overlord List. If you combine the two results, though, very bad things happen.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Being a fan of the original Divine Divinity Im hopefull that I will like this game.

I have my doubts though, I just dont know if a 3D rendered world can capture the atmosphere of the first game.

Can't say I want to be railroaded into turning into a dragon either....will probably still by this though....

Texas Red

Whiner
You can play it now though. There's a fix that changes the German dialogs in to English, if you didn't know that already. I'm not terribly starved for a game now so I'm just going to wait until January.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Dark Individual said:
You can play it now though. There's a fix that changes the German dialogs in to English, if you didn't know that already. I'm not terribly starved for a game now so I'm just going to wait until January.

Yea Im going to wait as well....I have a long list of games to play but not enough time for them now anyway....not to mention more patches might come out.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I'm playing the German version. Fun enough. I only wanted to bridge some time untill the first Risen patches come out but Divinity 2 is much better than I expected.
Some impressions:
NPCs, especially women, move strangly (curtseying all the time) during dialogue. I've seen maybe 3 different faces on women. The vast majority have a cute enough face, but all the same one...
Men also seem to mostly differ in (facial)hairstyles. Graffix over all are acceptable. Very cute-unicorn-I-want-to-impress-the-american-market like. Some of the buildings look very nice and "fantastic".
Gameplay is pretty bad. Movement is unwieldy and you click the enemies to death. Ranged bow gameplay was so bad that I restarted as melee. If you are near enough you focus on enemies. With ranged weapons you can only hit focussed enemies. But even with a skill that lets you move closer to enemies before they notice you they still do so before they are in focus. Which means they are pelting you with ranged attacks before you can attack them. Which meant that melee was so disadvantageous in that regard but had a much better damage output... That was definately faster.
Lots of hidden stuff and puzzles and quests that are easily overlooked.
No quest compass and no handholding. Some hints are given in non-quest related dialogues and easily forgotten.
But the map is uncovered from the beginning and that influences exploring.
Lots of equippable items and ways to improve them. Should be nice for people who like collecting diablo-style.
Bad UI. Parts can be gotten used to but some stuff is just atrocious. EG, you have to look at the bottom right screen corner to see if you are standing in front of an object that can be interacted with. Or even worse, you have to look there to see if a container is empty or not. The alternative is destroying all barrels, crates and baskets. Which is also a chore with the unwieldy combat. And NPCs don't mind since they also don't mind if you rob them blind.
Dialogues are cheesy/funny and reminded me of Drakensang. Many VAs are the same, too. I like it but IIRC few others on the codex did.
You start as a Grey Warde...eh...as a Specte...eh...as a Dragonslayer and are treated as such. Do kiddies nowadays really need to compensate so much...?
The reading minds gimmick: It opens up some quests, but not always when it should. And the required XP is a direct indicator to how useful the gained information will be. So I didn't really like (the implementation) it. You also find lots of books with interesting lore and backround info. But unless those are marked as quest-items they do not open up new dialogue choices although they contain information that would suggest so.
I like the skill tree... since it isn't actually a tree. Skills become available as you level. You don't actually need to put any points in early melee skills if you're only interested in the later melee skills. It is a classless system.
I'm only lvl 10 and didn't get too far yet but difficulty ramps up fast. If you try it for an hour and find it too fucking easy, don't expect that to stay so.

Now to what interests the codex most: c&c
It is in. Almost every quest I've had could be solved in different ways. Sometimes with different results. It's no Fallout but it's definately better than any other non-PB (a)RPG I've played.

It is not polished and I wouldn't even call it a rough gem, but I'm still pleasantly surprised.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Whoooho!

A pity i hate diablo combat.

Bet the endgame turns to shit like the first.

Oarfish

Prophet
The combat is unbearably shit and it lags like playing team fortress 1 on a slow modem connection in 1998. Nothing like having your avatar popping around out of synch with the rest of the world. Can't be asked looking at it for the C&C.

Though I have been playing DA a tad obsessively which didn't help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom