Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favourite NWN 2 companion and opinions on others

What is your favourite NWN 2 OC/MotB companion?

• Khelgar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neeshka

• Elanee

• Sand

• Grobnar

• Casavir

• Qara

• Bishop

• Shandra

• Zhjaeve

• Ammon

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • One of Many

• Kaelyn

• Gann

• Safiya

• Okku

• Total voters

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
micmu said:
[..] or maybe Ammon (liked his (for mages) atypical attitude, very straightforward and no mystic mumbo-jumbo). But I hated to take him as a "friend", after he slaughtered the whole village, but that's the massive problem with whole OC, forcing things on you too hard.

Ammon didn't slaughter the village.

And Ammon definitely shared your feelings on the whole thing. Heck, even the chosen one can share your opinion if you play him like that. Both of them, especially Ammon, would've preferred to do this on their own, yet here they both bumblefucks their way into each others plans, forcing them to work together.

Texas Red

Whiner
Hm, does One of Many get an ending slide? I finished an evil playthrough with him and had 100 influence. He even told me that he will travel with me but there was no mention of him in the ending.

Also, after One of Many consumes Myrkul the god appears and you can attempt to smooth talk him. I didn't play as a diplomat and failed but is it possible at all? If yes, what happens if you persuade Myrkul to work for you?

Damn, there are so many C&C that I will have to go on a 3rd playthrough in a few months, I think. None of the Bioware bullshit 2 ways only; this game has actual roleplaying and real choices to make. It was pretty tough decision to decide whether my good character(who didn't save Ackachi and destroyed his form) would stay in the City of Judgement or continue living.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
To me, the best would be Ammon and Okku. Especially Ammon, since I liked how they handled the Evil alignment with him. It's also the much-talked case of having the PC fight a "chosen one" who was going to single-handedly fight teh Eebil.

Strangely enough, I was one of those who liked Neeshka. Probably the voice actor and the dialogue. I'm not even among those who'd bitch about her not being a romance option, I'd bitch if she was (because that one dialogue option whoops the ass of each and every RPG romance and usually romances range from suck to fucking horrible).

I wouldn't say I seriously disliked any other character than possibly Casavir (for having the personality of a brick) and Elanee (for being an annoying hippie bitch). Mostly they ranged between solid and good, with the notable exceptions (like Ammon and the entire cast of MotB).

made

Arcane
All OC characters sucked balls, truly rivaling Bio characters in terms of one-dimensionality and failed attempt at humor. "Hey, let's have this bog standard dwarf, but with a twist! He wants to become a monk! Hahahaha!" Yeah right.

MotB was the polar opposite of this. Smaller cast of more fleshed out characters, each with their own motivations and interesting backgrounds. I'd probably take Kaelyn if I had to pick a favorite, but they were all quite good imo.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Haven't gotten far in MotB, but the current characters I have, Safiya and Gann, seem interesting and well developed, but I do not *like* them. Yet. In the OC, the best character is clearly Sand. The sarcasm is great, and the voice actor really drives it home. Otherwise, Bishop had his moments.

Neeshka and Khelgar were pretty bland overall, with some interesting lines here and there. Khelgar's good lines happen when he decides to fight in your place after the Trial, and that's about it. Qara only served to make Sand better, and Grobnar was as annoying as he was funny.

The rest, shite. Elanee is the worst. I tire of the generic tree-huggers, she really was a judicious choice to be the early kill, but that wasn't satisfying enough. What's his name Paladin was good at standing in the corner. Let's not talk about Shandra.

The Gith had an annoying voice and seemed tacked on, much like Ammon, as plot devices to make the story move forward without initiative of the player. They had answers and a road to follow. The PC didn't discover much himself, he was told what's what. Boring.

Beans00

Erudite
They all sucked, and anyone who liked neeshka is a fucking faggot.

Redeye

Arcane
Ammon Jerro had a gravelly voice/persona. Fun to have around.

Safiya- I liked her, she was more than just a MacGuffin. There should have been a female romance option. I just got that vibe, y'know.

One Of Many, just for the idea.

Zhaeve- I liked her being all alien and shit, but her implementation was bland.
Blade barriers are fun, so I kept her.

Bishop- I liked him. If he could have been dualed over to Rogue he would have been excellent.

Shandra reminded me of Jackie from Highpool in Wasteland.
If you could get her much earlier and if she had the unique ability among NPCs of being able to multi-class, she would have been my favorite. Instead she is just generic and boring and gains levels at a rate unbelievable even for a NWN2 npc. (Farmer to high level fighter just like that?)

Khelgar- "I want some fine Dwarven Ale!" Screw the monk quest, he has more combat potential as a fighter. I cared nothing for his personality. Just another kill-stuff-guy.

Qara- She reminded me of the burny-guy from PS:T. Aside from that she was not more than the blob on the screen that makes the fire.

Kaelyn- I tried to make her a Dark Angel with regen items, barbaric armor, that 600k Katana, etc. But I thought she was just a little too boring. Summon Planetar ruled, though. I still used her a lot because she was a cleric.

Gann - he was ok.

Sand- not too bad.

Neeshka- I tanked her in medium/heavy armor and got her some heavier weapons/etc. Otherwise ignored her.

Casavir- I ignored him.

Grobnar was awful, even though Jan was my favorite BG2 NPC.

Elanee was more cliched horseshit.

Okku - just a fighter to me. I kept him first time. For purely gamey reasons.

Black

Arcane
OC- Sand easily wins. He'd be quite a Codexer.
Motb- Kaelyn- because of her voice <3

Seboss

Liturgist
Dark Individual said:
Have you seen the size and pure perfection of those celestials? Do you honestly think you can compete with those angels Kaelyn hangs out with?
Not to mention that she never felt romantic love. Talk about high standards.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The best was your badger animal companion who somehow got morfed together with one of the other NPC's weapons and wound up appearing as some bizarre Brundle-axe misshapen monstrosity that became a permament member of your party and forced a complete restart of the game (unless, of course, you liked him). Talk about C&C!

Murk

Arcane
think that was kingston's play through with kelgar and qara's weasel

Texas Red

Whiner
Dark Individual said:
Hm, does One of Many get an ending slide? I finished an evil playthrough with him and had 100 influence. He even told me that he will travel with me but there was no mention of him in the ending.

Also, after One of Many consumes Myrkul the god appears and you can attempt to smooth talk him. I didn't play as a diplomat and failed but is it possible at all? If yes, what happens if you persuade Myrkul to work for you?

Can someone answer these? :wink:

Solohk

Scholar
In my ending One of Many
killed Safyia, which pissed my character off who then killed One of Many. I wasn't overly thrilled because I thought I picked a "thanks but no thanks" dialog option with Safyia at the end, but apparently I picked one of the romance options.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Dark Individual said:

Can someone answer these? :wink:
I don't know, I maxed out my Diplomacy as high as I could with all sorts of items and boosts. It still was not enough. :(

But I just don't think it is meant to be possible. Myrkul's very survival depends on the spirit eater curse. He can't side with you. Your very life depends on removing the curse. Both of you are at odds with each other.

I am sure of this because, even in Bloodlines, certain skill checks in dialogue would lead to failure no matter what. And do you remember in KotOR2 that there was no way of convincing the Serrocco gang to mount an attack on the Exchange? It may well have been deliberate design of the developers, since they are the same.

Longshanks

Augur
Neeshka, most annoying NPC ever ... that is all.
Only played NWN2 (not quite finished), and if we're looking for quality, none of them are worth mentioning, apart from placing them on a scale from "worst ever" to "almost bearable".

Vibalist

Arcane
In MoTB, One-Of-Many. What a creepy motherfucker (especially when he's the child), and what a great idea for a character. He was also the only character I got major influence with, due to my Neutral Evil rogue telling the other party members time and time again that they were only being brought along as cannon fodder for the enemy. It was kind of cool that One-Of-Many didn't even mind this. It felt nice not having to kiss up to a character for once to get influence.

In the OC I'd have to go for either Khelgar, Bishop or Sand. They were cool enough and good for a laugh or two. Neeshka I hate with a passion, but that could be because Obsidian intended for her to be annoying and not necesarrily because her character is unoriginal or poorly written. Still, the tiefling rogue thing has been done much better and she felt a bit like a pale imitation without many redeeming features. And all that bitching about being scorned by society and what not made me want to kick her out and finding out that I couldn't just made me hate her more. I felt like this about many of OC characters too, especially Shandra who had a personality like a rock, and Grobnar who was a little bitch.

MoTB is of course superior in every way regarding the NPC's. Gann, I thought, wasn't half bad either, but I probably would have gotten more out of him if I had gained more influence with him. Same with Safiya. Okku and Kailyn I haven't tried yet.

As a side note, does anyone else here think that the npc's were sometimes a bit too quiet in MoTB? There were long stretches in the game where they just didn't say anything or commented on the situations, especially at the red wizard academy. Not to mention the lack of banter between NPC's. Not at all like in the OC where they were running their mouths all the time.

Tigranes

Arcane
Casavir is a steaming pile of shit.

Sandra actually could have been quite interesting if they pulled off the hook properly. Especially with dialogue when her home is burned and before she dies in Jerro's lair, you can see the writers wanted to do something with the fantasy civilian being tired of all this shit being thrown at her and wanting to do something about it. But despite making you carry her ass all over town for hours... missed opportunity.

Grobnar might have been tolerable without the terribly done voice acting. It's like a bad fan parody of Jan.

Neeshka, Elanee, Qara are simply boring. They're not horrible but they're underdeveloped and that's what you get for trying to have so many companions. Why exactly did we need Qara when we had Sand, anyway?

Ammon Jerro, Khelgar, Sand, Bishop are great. They're not particularly 'deep' either (nobody is, really, in the OC) but they're well executed and don't facepalm.

MOTB companions are all good, though none are specially memorable, unfortunately. It might have to do with how grey and sedate they were. At least each of them had one special awesome moment each (Gann: Hag, Kaelyn: Myrkul, Safiya: Founder, Okku: Bear Spirits, One of Many: ... a lot). On second thought, OoM *is* pretty awesome.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dark Individual said:

OoM gets an ending slide if you're good and you force him to stay with you (need a high influence I think):
It follows you around and eventually you order it to consume itself

Or if you let him go, or he refuses to stay with you:
It terrorizes the sword coast and I guess ends up in a random encounter in SoZ

And if you romanced Safia:
It gets jealous and kills her, you take revenge. Pretty twisted shit, I definitely didn't see it coming.

There isn't even a check made there or anything, the [Failure] line is just the next line of dialog. You have to fight him.

As for the original topic:
Sand was a p. cool character, probably my favorite from the OC. Khelgar ranged from tolerable to amusing depending on the situation. I used Elanee on my second playthrough because I needed a goddamn healer and you don't get the Githzerai until the damn game is half over, and I didn't find her nearly as annoying as I did in my first playthrough. That's probably because I didn't really pay attention to her, though.

One of Many was badass, easily the best companion in MotB. That's pure evil done right. Safia was kind of boring, Kaelyn was interesting to talk to but that's about it, and I couldn't fucking stand Gann. I need to play through again and use him, I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom