Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your classic RPG memories

covr

Prophet
Patron
Surviving my first winter in Dwarf Fortress... priceless moment.

Mr Happy

Scholar
In Jagged Alliance 2, getting an angry email from Kingpin that I had taken his money, returning to San Mona, checking out some videotapes, and wiping the place clean of the guys thugs ( losing Ira in the process unfortunately).

Also, climbing over the wall of a city in Daggerfall to find that they were celebrating a holiday.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
When I played Bards Tale 3 and realized what an RPG is.

Does Pirates! count as an RPG? I played that on the C-64, many many years ago, and no other game has ever got me so excited again. I skipped school for a week and became a nerd mostly because of it.

SkeleTony

Augur
Damned near everything about M&M 7 from the music to the general atmosphere. Especially when I first reached Celeste! Just magnificent!

Playing Wizardry 7 the first time without a walkthrough and discovering... ANYTHING! the chest with the cartography kit, Orkogre castle, the note about "Paluke's"...etc.

Creating and developing a PC in Fallout. The 'SPECIAL" system...somebody finally made a CRPG that was not dumbed down(too much) for casual gamers benefit.

Running into 'The Butcher' in Diablo(I know...I know, dumbed down 'action/RPG' but still had tons of atmosphere and was pretty fun for not being a turn based REAL rpg).

Making it to Arnika in Wizardry 8. Rescuing Vi Domina in Wizardry 8. Defeating the Dark Savant in W8.

Creating my party in Natuk. No elves, humans, dwarfs or hobbits. No half dozen different types of elves each with a different hard-to-pronounce species designation(I'm looking at YOU Broken Hourglass!) masquerading as being "creative". Just orc, ogre and half troll warriors, shamans, assassins and witch doctors! Then choosing my favorite guy to be the new emperor of Natuk (and thereby choosing him to slaughter the rest of my party who put up a pretty good fight).

Buying the "ALL RPG" issue of Computer Gaming World in the late 90s that came with a disk full of cool games and demos. Free full versions of Wasteland, Might and Magic, and a couple others plus Exile 3(I had played Exile 2 and got bored with it before reaching the shareware limits. E3 was leaps and bounds better IMO), etc. The magazine itself(which I still have) featured some pretty interesting articles(especially in hindsight) including a preview of the then NEW D. W. Bradley game called "Demon Seed" which would later become "Swords & Sorcery: Come Devils, Come Darkness" and finally "Wizards & Warriors" as well as a blurb about a then new and obscure CRPG called "Grimoire"(long before Cleve Blakemore became synonymous with 'Complete idiocy' and his game prompted the coining of the term "vaporware"").

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Returning from Mangar's Tower to Skara Brae with my Invincible Six in Bard' Tale, heading for the Review Board, entered the wrong house and encountered "death itself in the form of 1 Hobbit".

Mister Arkham

Scholar
The first time I booted up PS:T and heard that theme start playing. It was just this fantastically alien and tone-setting moment... It took the game from something I was wary of to something I knew would be special in a heartbeat.

The text box in Fallout and Fallout 2. I came late to the world of CRPG's, having spent years with P&P, and Fallout was one of the first games I tried. The text box was something of a novelty to me at first, seeming somewhat low-tech, but when I stepped out of the cave and the message about seeing the sun for the first time popped up I was set-aback. They had found a way to put a GM into the game! It's a feature that I've missed in other games.

Being lef tot my own devices in so many games, be it Fallout or Baldur's Gate or Arcanum, and just roaming the world map, finding new and interesting places and people. I think that those games, Fallout and Arcanum especially, really nailed the open-world concept in a way that Bethesda can only dream of.

Running around and having to keep the zombies INSIDE the Hollywood Cemetery in VtM:B. Not an outstanding portion of the game, but it was a nice change of pace from every "Keep the monsters OUT" level I'd ever played. Bloodlines did a really nice job of playing with conventions like that.

That's enough for now. I might post more later if the thread stays alive.

MetalCraze

Arcane
things like:

- A whole Planescape: Torment experience - one big memory I wish to forget to play it again anew.

- The excitement while exploring world of Fallout 2 (I've played F1 only later) with all those pretty harsh consequences for a large variety of choices and witty dialogues of course.

- The Quei-Jin and open-the-sarcofagus endings of VtmB. Don't know which one is more wtf like.

- Entering Hommelet in ToEE for the first time and simply watching at how beautiful it is there for several minutes.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
1. B00bs

2. The Glow in FO1

3. The opening of FF8. (hell, all the FMVs in this game are pretty much awesome)

4. Watching the distruaght mother run out getting herself killed by thugs after you told her her kiddies are dead in NWN1.

5. Figuring out the obvious fact that Annah loves to have sex with older gentlemen espciially with daddy in PST.

6. Interacting with Ravel, also in PST.

7. The annoyed shock when Minsc the Retard went berserk and tried to murder me because I wasn't quick enough to find his girlfriend so I ahd to kill him in BG1.

8. Escape from Candlekeep Prison in BG1.

9. BG2 Dreams.

10. Tons more too numerous to list here...

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Mister Arkham said:
Running around and having to keep the zombies INSIDE the Hollywood Cemetery in VtM:B.

Strange, I hated that part. Guess I don't like the fps parts in VtMB that much.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ah, yes, I just recalled one thing from KotOR1 I enjoyed very much, and that is the 'prison cube' on the Ebon Hawk that some guy tells you to deliver to Tatooine but don't use it under any circumstances, und after you use it, you're sucked into a 'pocket dimension' with some superancient prisoner.

Dark Elf

Erudite
Actually, one of my fondest RPG memories is when I got the fuck out of Irenicus prison in BG2 for the first time. I didn't know anything. I didn't know how to power-roll my character. I didn't know that archers are fucked without an 18 strength for composite bows. I didn't know how to loot even, meaning that I had to make do with a spear since I couldn't find a bow. The feeling when I finally arrived at Waukeen's Promenade has etched itself into my memory.

Also, playing through Arcanum for the first time was like a constant mindgasm. Played a stupid half-ogre (who raised his In to 5 about halfway through the game, something I nearly regret).

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
f1 - seeing the glow from above with fallout music
f2 - becoming a grave robber
f2 - finding vault 13
iwd1 - hearing the music and standing at the begining of an adventure
bg2 - slaying kangaxx with low lvl charas without looking up online by means of bought protection scrolls against the school that is his fucking imprisonment spell is
bg2 - finding, without interwebz, on a second playthrough, accidental, the hidden headquater of the eye? in the house in the bridge district? where you need the most expensive gem in the inventory
bg2tob - the end of a saga
pst - dying

Melcar

Arcane
FFVII - Killing the Emerald Weapon with a bunch of lvl 60-70 chars. with no high powered materia and without looking at any strategy guides (damn thing took me literally 15min to kill).

BG - Arriving for the first time at the Friendly Arm and getting killed by that wizard dude.

BG2 - Killing Firkraag for the first time

FO - Exiting the first cave and venturing into the waste

S_Verner

Scholar
covr said:
Surviving my first winter in Dwarf Fortress... priceless moment.

Especially when your legendary miner goes batshit crazy and starts digging through people's faces.

S_Verner

Scholar
Guys, we should totally move every FF thread into general games discussion.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Fallout 2 - getting my scoped hunting rifle, leaving my party on the other side of the map, setting up a sniping post in the graveyard, and picking off every single slaver in Metzger's gang without taking a single hit. Watching them run around crazily, wondering where the bullets were coming from... then, when no more ran out the door (to die at the doorstep soon after), moving into the street to take out the remaining bastards through the window. It was so enjoyable, I reloaded and played that section whenever I had a bad day my whole senior year in college.

Eye of the Beholder II - realizing the enemies I was facing (at any given time) were too powerful, and retreating in a panic to a corner of the dungeon to recuperate - then return to murder once more.

Heroes of the Lance
- being 11, excitedly renting this game thinking "oh boy DRAGONLANCE!!" then loading it in my NES to a big fat WTF IS THIS TOTAL SHIT.

Phantasie - if anyone remembers this game, I'm going to be goddamn SURPRISED AS HELL. I just liked I could create my own party and characters in just about any town, and I could have fucking minotaurs, lizard-men, ogres, and gnolls in my party. AWESOME.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Seeing my first brutal death animation from Fallout. It was truly one of those "holy motherfucker" moments. No other game has ever come off as more brutal than the 2 Fallouts. Those animations have yet to be surpassed.

Melcar

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
Seeing my first brutal death animation from Fallout. It was truly one of those "holy motherfucker" moments. No other game has ever come off as more brutal than the 2 Fallouts. Those animations have yet to be surpassed.

The first time I saw that 10mm tear of a guy's chest I was like "WTF was that?!". I seriously wasn't expecting it and it kind of took me by surprise... in a good way.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Annie- I remember Phantasie, though I started with Phantasie 3. Having characters get dismembered, etc. was tons of fun. I played the hell out of that game.

Ultima V- Realizing that this is what a game world could be. And sadly, is rarely equalled today. Finding the magic carpet on my own was cool.

Fallout- The character creation alone was great. The freedom, the skill checks- Reminded me of Wasteland and the games I liked, after going through a bunch of JRPG's.

Tower of Doom on the Intellivision- It was sort of a cheapo diablo (well before diablo), but was tons of fun. Random dungeons, leveling up, lots of loot- Nothing like it at the time.

Morrowind- That sure was a pretty world to run around in. Reading all the lore. Lots of fun.

Mass Effect- Killing the krogan dude. Didn't think Bioware would let you off a party member permanently. Also having either the guy or the girl die was a nice touch.

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
Annie Carlson said:
Phantasie - if anyone remembers this game, I'm going to be goddamn SURPRISED AS HELL. I just liked I could create my own party and characters in just about any town, and I could have fucking minotaurs, lizard-men, ogres, and gnolls in my party. AWESOME.

I loved that game. I remember scouring every square of the dungeons to get the next text description of the surroundings or to find some event trigger. Phantasie 2 wasnt nearly as good and I never played Phantasie 3. I also remember those were the days (late 80's) if you called the hintline you actually spoke to a live person.

Korgan

Arbiter
Pretty much the whole PST.
Leaving Irenicus' Dungeon and seeing Athkatla for the first time.
Eating stuff in MOTB.
All the "I have to slaughter people I could've got along with because of the choices I made" bits in Witcher.
Attacking Alma in broad daylight with some random noobs and a mortar.
The energy sword in DX.
Exploring the Wastelands.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Annie Carlson said:
Heroes of the Lance[/b] - being 11, excitedly renting this game thinking "oh boy DRAGONLANCE!!" then loading it in my NES to a big fat WTF IS THIS TOTAL SHIT.

Quite. What a dog that game turned out to be.

GlobalExplorer said:
Strange, I hated that part. Guess I don't like the fps parts in VtMB that much.

It was quite awkward in fps mode, much like most of the game, and I ended up using the axe for it. Mostly I remember it for turning the tables on the horror movie/game section where the characters desperately try to keep the zombies out of someplace.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Even though I had invested in Firearms I just couldn't do this quest. I tried to kill a group at one end of the cemetery and run to the other end, rince and repeat, but I just hadn't been able to be fast enough.

axedice

Cipher
You need to keep celerity up for that graveyard quest, without that and aoe melee attacks it's nearly impossible.

- Ocean House Hotel in Bloodlines. Eventhough I was a spellcasting vampire with a badass combat shotgun, that ghost girl really freaked me.

- Finding out that I was "not" the chosen one in Arcanum. Pretty good twist there.

- Reading Deinoarra's sensory stone and seeing how the practical incarnation used her step by step.

- Finding out how the exile got seperated from the force in KotOR II

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The ending of Planescape Torment. The most beautiful scene of any RPG I've ever played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom