Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your classic RPG memories

Radisshu

Prophet
One really big C&C moment in the first NWN expansion, actually. SPOILARZ: I told an evil demon-elf-crossbreed woman that a certain kobold was hiding with an artifact she wanted in a nearby village (he told me that was where he was headed earlier). When I later went to actually visit this village it had been overrun by gnolls. It felt really cool, but on my next playthrough I discovered that Blumberg is ALWAYS invaded by gnolls when you get there.

Another really awesome thing was playing Torment as a mage, and getting tutored by various powerful beings, Ravel in particular. Especially when TNO conjures some of those root monsters for himself when the battle finally begins.

Oh, and this:
inwoker said:
don't trust the skull moment

KevinV12000

Arcane
What a fantastic thread! I hope I remember these names/places right:

-- Using the "translate" spell during the first hour of Dark Heart of Ukruul to read the signs on the wall, as their messages were slowly revealed.

-- It's been said before but I'll say it again: "Don't Trust the Skull"

-- Opening the door to Sokol Keep and finding my 5 2nd level characters in battle with about 50 Orcs and 10 Hobgoblins.....and winning.

-- My rogue, last party member alive, using a Wand of Parlalyzation on Tyranothrazus in Pool of Radiance in desperation...and freezing him for the kill.

-- Finding the Wizard held in crystal at the bottom of the giant-ant filled maze in Wizardy VI after weeks of detailed mapping.

-- The "bad guy" screen on KOTOR2 changing to Kreia

-- My first successful transcontinental railroad in Railroad Tycoon.

-- Purple Worm level of Dungeon Master, Survival Of

and my favorite of all time: Using an 8 year old or so floppy disk holding my saved end game party from Wizardy VII to load them up for Wizardy VIII.

Deleted member 7219

Pretty much everything from Morrowind. First RPG I ever played. Beautiful soundtrack, and it was just really cool to be able to walk around this huge gameworld filled with quests.

The witty dialogue choices in Bloodlines. Apart from a few instances in the Fallout games, I don't think I've found any dialogue quite that good. Also, the Ocean House Hotel, and the guy with the amputation fetish.

Loading up Fallout for the first time and being mesmerised by the opening movie and Ron Perlman's 'War never changes'.

Pretty much all of KOTOR. I remember being really happy at the time that the game managed to run on my Geforce 2. Then I was actually happy about having finally found a good Star Wars game, the best since Jedi Knight. My favourite parts - the prison cube, Tatooine and Korriban.

The change in atmosphere in KOTOR 2. Everything's gone to shit, Kreia has got some kind of plan but she's not letting on. Superbly written and acted character. My favourite parts - meeting of the masters in the ruins of the Jedi Enclave, and giving some guy some credits on Nar Shaddaa then having Kreia yell at me through the Force :D

Binding Death's Hand to his armour and enslaving him in Jade Empire. Then slaughtering nearly all my party members after they turned on me. I loved how you could actually be evil at the end of that game. The evil version of the Water Dragon scene was great.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
killing lord british in u6 and 7 without add-on by accident.

crash-landing on albion for the first time (more games need that kind of 2d).

watching fallout's intro for the first time, then watching it again some more.

the baby oil in torment. pretty lame joke, but it made me laugh for 5 minutes.

noticing that the pile with my notes and maps for ultima 6 got bigger than the pile with my school notes.

trying to figure out the english sorcerian port without having ever played an rpg before, or speaking english, for that matter, wondering why some of my characters suddenly disappeared (fuckers died of old age).

figuring out that the ability to play torment was worth more to me than a new faster professional gfx card that couldn't run it.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
Watching and actually believing the intro scene of Fallout (that my parents had actually survived a war in a vault) as a child

Taking days to make it out of the rat cave then attacking wandering merchants assuming they were hostile (dying in the process).

Making what I considered a trash character for fun in Fallout and progressing further in the game then I ever had before

First time making it out of the opening dungeon in BG2 - excellent atomsphere of the market place

The whole of Planescape Torment, but only during the first playthrough

Entering Tulla for the first time in Arcanum - great atmosphere reaching it's greatest point in the game

VTMB - the shock of subtitle-less dialogue and meeting Jeanette

Witcher - the collectable cards and my hand :twisted:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Matt7895 said:
giving some guy some credits on Nar Shaddaa then having Kreia yell at me through the Force :D

This reminded me of another situation on Nar Shaddaa, with some guy bugged by thugs that wanted money from him. The guy saw me and was like "Hey, he has my credits!"

Using force persuasion on the thugs and telling them to jump into the central pit = priceless ("Hmm, yes, I believe jumping into the pit is a great idea!")

DaveO

Erudite
Corak and Sheltem end to Worlds of Xeen. Probably still worthy of being in the top ten best endings ever for a RPG.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
The stupid dance quest in KOTOR, many Lulz.

Numerous Race hate crimes committed on elves in TW-I found this very effective thematically.

Exploding body parts in FO and FO 2.

Everything about Deus Ex

kris

Arcane
- Like others mentioned, the glow in fallout is just one thing that imprinted itself in me.

- Throwing food on enemies in dungeon master, you could throw everything you had there.

- Getting my first motion sickness from playing ultima underworld. Urgh for simulated walking.

- Final fight in "curse of the azure bonds". It was a huge room completly filled up with enemies + a big bad guy. You needed like four screens to fit them all.

- Character creation in arcanum.

- Getting my ass kicked by Kangaxx.

- Getting random "dragon encounters" in ... was it pools of darkness? I mean random dragon encounters.

Won't mention newer games since they are to recent in my memory.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
DaveO said:
Corak and Sheltem end to Worlds of Xeen. Probably still worthy of being in the top ten best endings ever for a RPG.
Sheltem is sitting on his throne. He has pulled a foolish party of adventurers magically into his room.

But one of them just threw a box. A very familiar box.

And the box flies. Slowly. Slowly.

It lands onto the carpet. Out comes -

"Corak! I thought you were dead?"

"You will not continue your schemes any longer!"

"*pulls off mask to reveal burnt face* I am ready for you this time."

Massive magical fight.

"Give up. You can not win."

"I know. Activate self-destruct code 1107."

"What! NOOO-"

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
DaveO said:
that's the normal darkside ending, i think. world of xeen ends in the rather lame unification ceremony.
Wyrmlord said:
you got the dialogue wrong. it was more along the lines of

- admit your defeat.
- i do. initiate self-destruct, code zero zero one.

burrie

Scholar
- DMing a three-year campaign in NWN. Greatest gaming experience yet.
- Creating my first character in Fallout
- Watching my character grow from QFG 1 to 5
- The finale in QFG4. So dramatic,yet with one helluva weirdand humorous solution to defeat your adversary which was, yet, so QFGy
- Actually planning out how I was going to travel to Krondor

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fallout2:
When you review videotape in brotherhood bunker of Frank Horrigan killing brotherhood soldier. Afterwards Horrigan says someting like: Ok. Let's have a lunch.

That's dark humor, lol.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Playing two thirds through "Dark Sun: Shattered Lands" without using spells because I did not understand how they work.

Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Using the spell "Fly" to lure the dragons in Dragonsands away from the chests, then quickly falling to the ground and grabbing it before the party burst into flames.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
gunman said:
Playing two thirds through "Dark Sun: Shattered Lands" without using spells because I did not understand how they work.
Whoa, now that's something :shock:

I think I spent quite a long time fiddling with my conventional memory until the game finally decided to run :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom