Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review You shouldn't miss Divinity 2: Ego Draconis

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Divinity 2

<a href="http://www.games32.com/Divinity-2-Ego-Draconis-(PC)-Reviews/p2000_articleid/1229">Games32 have lots of nice things to say about Divinity 2</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Sometimes great games are lost amidst a torrent of highly praised products of similar or different genre, due to inadequate coverage caused by lower budgets. Divinity 2 is a remarkable role-playing title with a solid gameplay and stunning visual effects, all wrapped up in an astonishing narrative, that will charm even the most rugged RPG fans. First and foremost, Ego Draconis is the living proof that good games are the result of a brilliant idea and dedication, rather then aggressive marketing and unswerving financing.</blockquote>
<br>
That's just the opening paragraph, more praise inside. You can also watch a video of the <a href="http://g4tv.com/videos/42483/Divinity-II-Ego-Draconis-Dragon-Morphing-Gameplay-Video/">player turning into a dragon over here</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

Andhaira

Arcane
I wish they had kept the dragon transformation as a selectable ability/skill/talent. Something the player could choose to take or not (and take something else instead)

Shaping the entire game along a single feature is VERY annoying.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Divine Divinity was nice, I'll be sure to check out Divinity 2. But I must agree with Andhariaxx, they should at least give some options of shapeshifting (Demon comes to mind). Well we'll see how it came out.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Horrid UI, shit performance issues and Larian should go back to doing things in 2D. But it's actually a fun game with combat more challenging than DA's, at least the start (as a mage, being pitted against multiple enemies of your level or two levels above is... painful until you get your creature).

I'd say I'm having more fun with it than DA, at least combat-wise. The writing isn't that bad either, and an improvement over the first two games.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
I wish they had kept the dragon transformation as a selectable ability/skill/talent. Something the player could choose to take or not (and take something else instead)

Shaping the entire game along a single feature is VERY annoying.

This. It makes the whole concept seem way gimmicky. And come on, a dragon? The whole thing just screams "our game kinda sucks but at least you can turn into a dragon!".
I just hope this isn't the case. I'll give the game a try when I get my hands on it.

Ch1ef

Scholar
Morgoth said:
Finished it a long time ago. It's alright.

Better than Oblivion and Gohtic 3, worse than Dragon Age, but overall a good game.
You sir, are and idiot.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Are the areas in the game closed off areas like in Dragon AGe or can you freely explore the land like in Divine Divinity?

I loved how interactive the world was in DD, but I hear its not the same in this game.

I loved DD, but this game doesn't look as good to me.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Horrid gameplay.
Difficulty is fine until you reach level 10. Then it goes down the shitter with enemies dying in 1-3 hits and nobody posing a challenge anymore.
Horrid gameplay.
Dialogue and quests are ok in a tongue in cheek way. But hacking through enemies quickly substitutes dialogue.
Horrid gameplay.
Claiming this is better than G3 is like saying being butt-raped is better than getting a blowjob from an ugly chick.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Shannow said:
Horrid gameplay.
Difficulty is fine until you reach level 10. Then it goes down the shitter with enemies dying in 1-3 hits and nobody posing a challenge anymore.
Horrid gameplay.
Dialogue and quests are ok in a tongue in cheek way. But hacking through enemies quickly substitutes dialogue.
Horrid gameplay.
Claiming this is better than G3 is like saying being butt-raped is better than getting a blowjob from an ugly chick.
That, besides horrible gameplay.

The game's still better than oblivion, and it's good for what it is :/

Meh, I'm enjoying it, and this sums it up why;

"Should you decide to spend the experience points to mind read the local blacksmith, not only will you be informed of a connection between said blacksmith and a local lady but he will also lower his prices. Go ahead, visit the woman and see what she has to say. Not much as it would seem, but she does have a task for you to complete, in the form of a letter needing to be delivered to the aforementioned blacksmith. You can also spend some of those precious experience points and read the lady’s mind like a book. You can catch her thinking of a key held within her home, and this key is highly important. After finding the married woman’s home, hopping a box or two to acquire the key, using that key to open the cellar, and you will come across a little treasure. The letter writing lady’s husband’s journal. Inside is information pertaining to a murder committed by the man brought about by a love affair. Now is a good time to open the letter handed to you, if you wish to. The information found on the letter is about the wife having an affair with the blacksmith and her wish to leave her husband to spend her days with the blacksmith. Now you can snitch on the husband to the guards in regards to the his murderous ways, allowing everyone to live happily ever after. Or, you can blackmail the wife. You could take a really rotten way and hand over the letter to the husband, who then gives his wife the boot and this also causes the blacksmith to raise his recently reduced prices. All that in just one quest."

You can also extort the blacksmith, or confront the husband about being a jealous psycho, etc.

It's better than the standard black and white junk.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Buy it. It's quite terrific - the best actiony real-time rpg I've played since Gothic 2. The studio should be commended and supported. The English translation is superb, nuanced and witty, as is the voice acting. Combat is enjoyable and challenging for me so far (level 13). Graphics are pretty. Overall a fine, polished package with heart.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I may actually spend money on it once it's locally licensed. I'm actually having fun and want to spend hours playing it, instead of having to force myself to play or "just give it one more chance" like DA.

Level 15 now, the challenge is dwindling, but that may be because of firewall, which acts like an I-WIN button against melee mobs. Maybe I'll turn the difficulty up.

DaveO

Erudite
I saw the video, and the first thing that came to mind was Drakan: Order of the Flame.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Has to be said that it's got fantastic music too--same composer as the first game. Not at all like the generic crap Jeremy Soule and his ilk churn out.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
There're some strongly contrasting opinions on this game, apparently. 'Overall a fine, polished package with heart.' has me interested, though I found the (combat) video I viewed pretty boring.

Does it feel much like DD1? I really enjoyed that game's interactive world and, well, just the 'feel' of that world.

Also can anyone comment on the length of the game? I've read it's quite short.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Seems pretty short, yes. I haven't finished yet, but I appear to have gone through at least half the game, and I just started a few days ago.

The combat is serviceable. As a mage, I only use two skills: firewall on melee mobs, spam magic missile otherwise. Default controls are fucking awkward, so I remapped my primary and secondary spells to mouse buttons. The challenge depends on how many enemies you're facing--mostly I just duck behind a cover to avoid ranged attack, let my pet distract shit, and spam missile again. Not exactly tactical, but I'd say it's satisfying enough, not more or less than DD was.

I think you'll like the exploration aspect, because in that it's very like DD. Large map and there's always something to do/discover (little quests here, odd touches there), even more so if you take the time to mind-read NPCs. Only downside is that quest direction sucks dicks: the NPCs don't tell you if the objective is north, west, south, or anything. You just have to look around and make your own map notes. The humor's still all there too, funny gravestone inscriptions and all.

The only real point against it is how shitty the performance is. Recommended spec isn't that high, but after a certain point it starts to lag like shit even though the first area was perfectly smooth.

Ogg said:
Shannow said:
Horrid gameplay.
Horrid gameplay.
Horrid gameplay.
That, besides horrible gameplay.

The game's still better than oblivion, and it's good for what it is :/

It's good for what it is... new Codex meme?

Murk

Arcane
The initial reviews I had read from people were saying the game lost a lot of its charm, interactivity, and character. Now people say it still has all this.

I'm pretty torn on this now, I think I'll buy it when the price isn't at "just released" levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom