Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You know what I'd like to see? A good strategy game about pirates.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
ss_0680f62ba62efa61e2d9a2952e4ee1a8a2ba93f2.600x338.jpg

ss_cd0a5da314d368fb607b62fdff395f8be071f68b.600x338.jpg

ss_ea5855103264be91e1129afd58a5211fb518aeda.600x338.jpg

Block of Rum is a sandbox dedicated to building sailing ships and piracy.
Voyage the procedurally generated world on a ship of your own construction, you have to fight with other ships and capture towns - all in order to get more resources and make your ship more cool.

Building

Create your ship from a variety of blocks with different characteristics. Think over the appearance. Hone the design of the ship. Find your balance between speed, strength and firepower. Experiment as you like, the main thing is that your creation could keep afloat and move at least a little!However, remember that the ship is not only a combat unit, it's also a transport. The blocks located in the inventory do not move in the place with you - they are in the area where you purchased them and will disappear as soon as they are left without your supervision. Only blocks that which is loaded on the ship always remains with you! Unless, of course, will not be destroyed in the next battle. But you can always sell the extra load in one of the cities.

World
Around the world, on the islands and continents scattered dozens of cities, they all trade with each other, and at the same time constantly feuding. Sometimes some cities manage to capture others and form whole empires. Of course, cities do not tolerate pirates, and no one guarantees that your ship will not be attacked while you are busy, but only in cities you can buy the missing blocks, replenish your crew and, on occasion, find some dubious job.

Sea battles
Attack other ships and cities to take away all that remains of them when the battle is over. Shoot the cores or grapeshot, without any sight, simply turning the ship with cannons in the direction of the enemy. Use the strengths of your ship to win. But remember that damage affects the characteristics of ships and any accidental hit can drastically change the course of the battle.

Boarding
But the battle is not only artillery fire. Often you will have to arrange a boarding to finish the battle or get an enemy ship in the best condition. During boarding, you will command the crew of your ship in step by step mode. Hand-to-hand skirmishes and musket volleys are break by calms when you have the opportunity to assess the situation and give the next orders to the crew. Isn't it a bit like card games? That's just the moves are made simultaneously with the enemy, and the "decks" may be disparate sizes ...

“In the full version of the game there will be more features, designed to diversify the gameplay with different events, as well as provide the player with more opportunities to interact with the game world. For example: crew morale and mutinies, storms appearing on a world map that can speed up or slow down the movement of your ship, or even cause some damage to it. It is also planned to add the player’s interaction functions with the cities captured by him, in order to make them suitable not only for plundering, but also for development, with the full creation of your own pirate empire. It will also be possible to add a map editor or some new game modes. To a large extent it depends on the wishes of the players. Besides to adding new features, the existing functionality of the game will be refined - new types of blocks will be added to build more beautiful and diverse ships, the AI will be modified in naval battles to make battles more diverse. Also in the full version will be added more content - sounds and music.”

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Aemar

Arcane

Based on the Mount & Blade engine, it has its flaws but also a lot of features you asked for in the OP.

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
Puzzle Pirates
Head to head tetris battles with gang up options and combo attacks is the most visceral sword fighting ive done in any game.
Otherwise, yeah someome needs to make a decent pirate game, wow. Even just a good Golden Age of Sail game. Manage a crew. Boarding battles. FTL could serve as a good model maybe.

Norfleet

It's tough to make a strategy game "about pirates", because pirates are, fundamentally, not really strategic players in their own right. In order for pirates to exist in a strategy game, somebody ELSE has to be playing a strategy game, which makes the strategy game about them, not about the pirates. You can't rob somebody unless someone is producing something worth stealing. Games like Port Royale contain pirates and are set in the time and place where pirates are prominent, and allow you to engage in piracy and interact with pirates, but are fundamentally trading/building games, rather than benig "about pirates". The closest thing I can imagine of a strategy game "about pirates" would probably be some kind of X-Com-esque game where you send out pirates to do pirate things on a map and then direct them in pirate battles. Actually, I just had an idea...

5)Please, no more FUCKING 3D. 3D can suck my balls as far as pirate strategy games are concerned. Give me a good clean styilish 2d isometric (or flat) style any time of the day. I want gameplay depth, not visual depth.
Bollocks, pirate games NEED 3D. Ships are so heavily 3D structures that it makes absolutely no sense for pirates to fight without taking into account the 3D effects of pirates in the rigging and climbing up, down, and onto decks of ships. Having a pirate battle set only on the flat upper deck of a ship would be missing most of the pirate action. You can't swing from the rigging and fight below decks if you're only 2D!

Master

Arbiter
There is that expansion for SW:Empire at War, Forces of Corruption, has kinda "piratey" feel.

Kwota

Augur
I agree with number 6) Barbary coast is such an underutilized setting, last games I remember was the ancient Pirates of the Barbary Coast and untranslated Uncharted Waters.

South china seas would be nice too.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I played Sid's Pirates! on my Commodore 64 way back when and loved it though I played way too aggressively not understanding the strategic elements very well and got my shit handed to me on a not-so-silver platter. Then I played that Horizons mod for Pirates of the Caribbean and while I felt it was closest to the fun of Pirates! and had some very neat things about it I hated certain things about it, like not being able to look up at the sky or ceiling while you were on land in 3rd person view (you could dungeon crawl in this mod) and if you were tracking ships to pirate and they started to flee after a fierce naval battle they would sometimes disappear when you gave chase and used the time acceleration key. I recently fired up Pirates! on the c64 emulator VICE and was disappointed that many of the menu backgrounds appeared sheer white making it hard to read the all-important menu selections. On my original C64 hardware the backgrounds were a deep dark shade of yellow or amber making it much more colorful and easier to read texts. Sometimes you can never go back though Pirates! was a blast.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sea Dogs : City of Abandoned Ships only lacks base management. It is however the best pirate game till date.

Falksi

Arcane
Not quite a stratergy game, but........

header_N3l0PIu-460x215.jpg

........stilil awesome. Fuck yeah!
I tried it couple years ago, didn't stuck in the light of Risen 1 and the Gothic series. Maybe I'll try to be more forgiving and give it another shot :)

Good lad.

It's one of the funniest RPG's I've played, and I absolutely love it personally.

In terms of traditional RPG-ness it fails, but as a game overall it's just got bags of character & enjoyment once you get past the rough edges.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom