Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You gotta love the lulz official dubbing in JRPGs

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Haha, teh horror.

I remember suffering the Grandia 2 story and dialogue to the bitter end... As much as I loved Jennifer Hale as Deionarra and Fall-From-Grace, I disliked her as that stupid naive childish nun. But then again I guess she did not a lot of place where to move in that role.

Also, not a jrpg but the English version of Resident Evil is humorously atrocious.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I don't want your twisted love

Amazing voice dubbing

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The dubbing for FFX was horrific. They redid the script so that the new script was lip synched, which made the phrasing retarded, and the VAs seemed to have been reading lines at random with no understanding of the context, let alone the characters.

Interestingly, not even this level of bastardization was able to make me hate them worse than the cast of of FFVIII.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Look, if my sis did that kind of line I would've slapped her silly. That's just absolutely horrible delivery. I couldn't even get the context of this whole situation by their delivery. 'Wow, I really can't move' alone was a bad start. Then came the flat tone delivery by a half stoned bitch.

LCJr.

Erudite
Not a JRPG, Prince of Qin. Poor translation and awful voice acting. I think it's all done by 2 people, 4 at the most. Horrible delivery and when they try to change their voice to do other characters it's laughably bad.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=29

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Gragt said:
I remember suffering the Grandia 2 story and dialogue to the bitter end... As much as I loved Jennifer Hale as Deionarra and Fall-From-Grace, I disliked her as that stupid naive childish nun. But then again I guess she did not a lot of place where to move in that role.
HERE GOES MY IMPACT BOMB !!
But to be fair Millenia was pretty good.

Dire Roach

Prophet
ghostdog said:
Watching that is pretty much the definition of mental rape. As a bonus I believe it's 100% unskippable, like most other cutscenes in FFX. I moved my PS2 from the living room to my bedroom while playing through FFX because I felt genuinely ashamed of playing it while my family was around.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
ghostdog said:
The chaos wars clip was disturbing , in a lulzy way , but still disturbing...

The famous FFX laughing cutscene :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8-e-C4Uy0
Why are Japanese cutscenes so painfully bad?

I try to take interest in new things, but all this Japanese gaming stuff makes me cringe. Look at that guy's terrible attire. And his hair. And all the banalities spewing out of character's mouths. It's deliberately meant to be awful.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I try to take interest in new things, but all this Japanese gaming stuff makes me cringe. Look at that guy's terrible attire. And his hair. And all the banalities spewing out of character's mouths. It's deliberately meant to be awful.

Well, apart from the fact that Japanese game writers are pervert lunatics, especially with FFX the problem is that they didn't change the cutscenes to match the translation , instead they changed the script to match the mouth movements. Add to that the fact the script was already full of silly "emotional" moments... add to that the fact that they wanted to show off their new "realistic-face-movement-shit" graphic engine... add to that the fact that there are like 10 hours of cutscenes in this game... and you get this fucked up thing.

If you want to play a really good jrpg, play chrono trigger and dragon quest 6 with a snes emulator.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
ghostdog said:
If you want to play a really good jrpg, play chrono trigger and dragon quest 6 with a snes emulator.

Or try Anachronox to see how westerners can take the silly out of the jrpg.

(Hm, I want to replay Chrono Cross now.)

szoreny

Novice
Lancaster County Pennsylvania United States Amuric
Holy shit Final Fantasy X. I had this Ps2 for a few months last year and FFX was one of the games I was running. Square's facial tech achieved the emotive power of Furbies. I got to the part where they make out and couldn't go any further. The laughing's bad, wait until furbies start kissing....Un believable. UN-BELIEVABLE! Who made this?

Tidus's pants for example. WHO DID IT?

DraQ

Arcane
Gragt said:
ghostdog said:

Or try Anachronox to see how westerners can take the silly out of the jrpg.
Wasn't the Anachronox inspired by a Chrono something jRPG? If so, we have a candidate for japanese jRPG not full of fail - I refuse to believe that something that inspired Anox could suck much.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You ain't seen nothing. In Tales of Symphonia you have the voices of Liquid Snake and Fall-From-Grace, and they totally bring across how they feel about the shitty writing. Makes me sad to hear such good voice actors in such shitty games...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
DraQ said:
]Wasn't the Anachronox inspired by a Chrono something jRPG? If so, we have a candidate for japanese jRPG not full of fail - I refuse to believe that something that inspired Anox could suck much.

Yeah, I read that Tom Hall loved Chrono Trigger and after finishing Anachronox for the first time, I decided to replay Chrono Trigger. I played it before, a few times, but the similarities became even more apparent that way.

Anyway Chrono Trigger is a great game. The story is a typical teenagers (or mostly) save the world but the villain itself is nice, doesn't say a lot but makes an impression), the characters aren't too developped so that you do not fall into the typical emo jrpg bullshit but they have enough personality to make you like them. The combat system is nice, a bit too easy once you figure the weaknesses of the different enemies but some boss fights can be challenging the first time. When I replayed it this year, I breezed through the game because I remembered most of the strategies, only one boss has some truly devastating attacks with a bit of randomness that can really bring you down even if you prepare for it.

So yeah, if you never tried Chrono Trigger, check it out. There is a retranslation patch but from what I saw it mostly sucks and turns the text into Engrish. the official translation has some censorship issues (stuff like religion for exemple) but nothing major really. The one big error in the official translation that I can remember is about Janus being refered to as Schala's half-brother while they are actually full-blooded siblings. Actually reading the translation notes is more interesting and worth your time than playing with the patch applied on the game. For exemple you get the explaination of the half-brother mistake, precisions about Crono's attribute being Heaven and not Lightning, etc.

And if you liked it, you might want to check Chrono Cross for the PSX. Many fans of CT disliked it because it wasn't a "true" sequel, did not follow the original cast, changed some game mechanics and other things like that, but I still love it. Combat is great, story is nice and interesting though one weak points of the game is that it gives you a lot of exposition at some intervals and it's a bit hard to digest it. It doesn't do a lot of hand-holding though and I respect that. Music and graphics are also very nice, the use of colours in that game is really well-done.

So yeah, I guess you can see I like those games. Might not mean you will but if you liked Anachronox you definitely want to check at least Chrono Trigger.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I liked Chrono Cross a good deal as well. Music was excellent and it had a nice art style. A bit on the easy side though, the only hard boss in the entire game was that old fisherman you fight. That laser sword attack of his could take down any fucker in your party in one blow.

Lurkar

Scholar
DamnedRegistrations said:
The dubbing for FFX was horrific. They redid the script so that the new script was lip synched, which made the phrasing retarded, and the VAs seemed to have been reading lines at random with no understanding of the context, let alone the characters.

Interestingly, not even this level of bastardization was able to make me hate them worse than the cast of of FFVIII.

The "reading lines at random with no understanding of the context, let alone the characters" is generally how dubbing is done, and how some VAing for English made animation can be. VAs very rarely work together; they're usually called to the studio one at a time to read through ALL the lines, and it's all mashed up together later. Due to the high density population in the cities and fuck all everywhere else, Korea and Japan typically just get all the VAs together (Since they're already all in more or less the same place) and go through it scene by scene.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You'd think they could spend 30 minutes to read the script beforehand, it's not like voiceovered games have as many lines as a book, or even a movie.

You guys are all amateurs. THIS, while not from a game, is a true masterpiece of Japanese-To-English Dubbing.

You will learn to love the elegant, subtle voicework from those games posted after watching that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom