Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You got your Story in my Dungeon Crawler

Jason

chasing a bee
Emily Short penned a slightly (though unintentionally) goofy <a href="http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/09/column_homer_in_silicon_the_cu_1.php">article</a> for GameSetWatch on how narrative can fit in even a very basic dungeon crawler, such as <b><a href="http://www.kongregate.com/games/garin/monsters-den-book-of-dread/">Monster's Den</a></b>.
<blockquote>So I soon found -- especially in survival mode, but even during the regular scenarios -- that it was most efficient to play against a group of enemies until the last enemy was essentially harmless but not dead: weak enough to be killed with a single blow, and maybe blind and poisoned as well.

Then I'd have my characters pass for turn after turn while their health and power stats rebuilt themselves. Sometimes the remaining character dies on his own, of poison inflicted earlier in the battle. Sometimes one of the party executes him when they have no further use for him.

There could be a scene there. Not a pretty one, either. My party of hard-fighting adventurers becomes much less admirable when they are essentially standing around smoking cigarettes while their dwarf maniac opponent -- wounded, blinded, poisoned -- slowly dies in the corner. We could put him out of his misery with a single blow of our Vampiric Mithril Longsword of Insight. But we choose not to.</blockquote>
Maybe I lack imagination, but trying to turn a gameplay mechanic (or more likely exploit) into a moral conundrum seems a bit silly. Like pulling enemies so you only have to fight them one at a time and pretending that your character is an honorable samurai who will only challenge opponents to one-on-one duels, as he was taught by the great master swordsman Usagi Yojimbo.
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamesetwatch.com/">GameSetWatch</A>

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Sometimes before I unload a volley of shots from my chaingun into a Baron Of Hell, I wonder if he's just having a bad day at work. Then I start thinking about his wife, Baroness Of Hell, and their little kids, Imps Of Hell, who are suffering from a severe form of autism and low blood sugar... What with the economy and all, family life must be hard to drive Baron to such extreme-

Okay, so I do none of that.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Some LARPer said:
Bob the block looked out through the screen as he was born.

He saw a human, a parallel being to himself, living a seemingly parallel world to his own outside the screen.

Bob the block felt himself be pulled left by some invisible force. He found he couldn’t move either way of his own will.

He was then rudely, and by the same invisible forces, turned upside down onto his head, where he then landed on top of another block’s feet. Gross.

He heard another block land right next to him, felt his world flash before his eyes, and then screamed as his head was ripped off his body and disappeared forever.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Usagi Yojimbo kicks ass!

Also, I'd love if game mechanics were part of a moral conundrum. Like if enemies could actually surrender, beg for mercy, and even becomes allies. It would be allot more interesting than just having the same stupid swarms of mindless enemies charging suicidally and fighting to the death

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Surrendering foes would be an awesome concept an a lot of genre's. What if that nazi machinegunner doesn't fight untill his last breath but surrenders? How will you react, knowing that securing him will take time and effort and a bullet in his head will be the faster solution? It could provide some rather interesting gameplay and even moral decisions from the player.

Funnily enough back in the day there was a strategic fps named seals where you actually had foes that could surrender and that you'd have to guard. Games back in the day were so much more interesting that it's almost painfull to look back. I've got happy memories running throught the bushes after a fleeing vietcong trying to tackle and capture him. It's also one of the few games in which a main mission was to attack a funeral with machineguns and grenades.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
She starts out about narratives, goes on about the fact that she has no balls to not exploit the system and finishes with new game mechanics... wtf!?
Why did I even read it after
baby arm said:
Emily Short...

MisterStone

Arcane
Maybe you guy should stick to indie dev and industry news and not random nonsense that some dumbass posts on his blog? Just a suggstn...

Lord Rocket

Erudite
You know, I like the idea of a dungeon crawler where you have to manage your character's psychology as well as their material resources. It'd be like Ishar, but fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom