Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't even bother with the merchants.
Creeper is the one you want.
And the Mudcrab Merchant, if you can find him (though he doesn't buy as much stuff as Creeper, but he does have more money, but is way harder to find).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Mercantile Story is funny because npc skills are tied to their level or something, but trader levels are too low so low mercantile, when one modder fixed it long ago Aril became cutthroat meltiades because he is quite high level compared to other merchants and npcs in seyda neen

deuxhero

Arcane
Creeper and Mudcrab merchant aren't even needed. Lots of merchants offer training or have respawning items of value.

Mercantile Story is funny because npc skills are tied to their level or something, but trader levels are too low so low mercantile, when one modder fixed it long ago Aril became cutthroat meltiades because he is quite high level compared to other merchants and npcs in seyda neen

Nah, Morrowind's issue is simply
1: Multiple modifiers are misapplied or wrongly temporary. As far as I know none check level.
2: More importantly, most merchants have awful mercantile values. There's only two non-test cell NPCs in the entire game with a mercantile above 60 (the master trainer and a random clothier in Vivec). Even going down to "45 or more" only adds Lucretinaus Olcinius (a Vivec merchant who has no special merchandise and would be totally generic if not for his invisible son), Bivale Teneran (Ald'Ruhn clothier) and a lot of trainers who happen to sell books/lockpicks as well.

Edit: The mod in question simply auto-levels mercantile to be based on an NPC's level, since editing each NPC to give them sane mercantile would be tedium and mod conflict prone.

OpenMW has a full breakdown of the mechanics. The base mercantile formula is actually sane (at best you get 75% sell price and 75% buy price), it's the haggle system that's retarded.
https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?t=856

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You should have option if it's real open world. If it's closed quest doors it's shit

Ah you meant you should be able to reach the boss in-game? I thought you mean about killing it.

In that case... it depends on the game. If it makes sense in-game for the boss - or any area really - to be closed off to you then that is perfectly fine. Being able to go anywhere in (proper) open world games doesn't mean not having restrictions at all, it means these restrictions aren't arbitrary "just because". E.g. if you cannot enter some building because you do not have the keys for it and there are no other ways around is fine as long as this restriction is consistent with the rest of the game. On the other hand not being able to enter some building because the game arbitrarily doesn't let you to do so (e.g. it doesn't acknowledge the action or forces the player character to say something like "i don't want to enter right now" - fuck you game, i *do* want to enter right now - or anything of the sort) then that is bad open world design.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't think open world needs arbitrary linear restrictions. Often games that have them could have been built without them. Ie there's nothing wrong with allowing player becoming friend of ashlanders before main quest for example. Neither I am fan of quest doors, chapter locked content, etc.
I think New Vegas did it more or less ok, you can interact with any faction freely there from the beginning of the game.

CHEMS

Scholar
You guys play with any leveling overhaul? The vanilla system allows you to get OP too early

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't think open world needs arbitrary linear restrictions. Often games that have them could have been built without them. Ie there's nothing wrong with allowing player becoming friend of ashlanders before main quest for example. Neither I am fan of quest doors, chapter locked content, etc.
I think New Vegas did it more or less ok, you can interact with any faction freely there from the beginning of the game.

I don't see these things as arbitrary because they make sense in the game world. You can visit the ashlanders before the main quest, you just don't know how to become friends of them because nobody told you (your character, not you from having meta knowledge) or even that there is a way to do that (again, lack of knowledge).

New Vegas isn't any different actually, you can go to various factions' places but you can't bring up topics you don't know about.

Shadenuat

Arcane

I don't see these things as arbitrary because they make sense in the game world. You can visit the ashlanders before the main quest, you just don't know how to become friends of them because nobody told you (your character, not you from having meta knowledge) or even that there is a way to do that (again, lack of knowledge).

New Vegas isn't any different actually, you can go to various factions' places but you can't bring up topics you don't know about.
But u know how to become archmagister of telvani

Leave whys and allow player to interact with things they find
Meta just makes player run unnecessary around your game and wastes players time
Player will make up why or how they want to be bros with ashlanders first themselves, dm not required

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Player will make up why or how they want to be bros with ashlanders first themselves, dm not required

In a theoretical alternative Morrowind, i'd agree that the main quest could be written in a way that relied on you meeting requirements instead of having you follow explicit steps, so you could figure out how to befriend the ashlanders in other ways aside from the main quest (e.g. reading about them in one of the many books the game has) and the main quest's step on that front would only check your relationship with the ashlanders (it'd also be neat if there was an alternative where you have pissed them off :-P).

But TBH while i think this approach is overall better, i do not see it as more "open world" than what Morrowind has, it is just a different way to approach how quests and their requirements are designed. To me what would make it "less open world" would be if the ashlanders wouldn't even spawn if you didn't reach that part of the questline - i.e. things that wouldn't make sense in-game.

CHEMS

Scholar
You guys play with any leveling overhaul? The vanilla system allows you to get OP too early
yup check my thread pg. 7 and make a game install with the economy, world rebalancing, and gameplay mods
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/lets-fix-morrowind.143633/page-7

most fun playthru of morrowind i've ever had
Very good. Also you guys should try this mod. It introduces the hability to play Hanafuda in Morrowind with some NPCs and merchants. It's a fun oriental card game. Nice way to make some money if you have economy mods that make harder to swim in money selling loot.

Now i just need some caravan in Morrowind, since i'm a card game RPG connoisseur.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well, at least with Andothren, now TR has real city which seems to be designed as an actual rpg and not gigantomania+fanfiction writing. It's very painful to leave it for other areas as you want to return to better place and stay there instead

From the start, tr should have been its own game with no connection to morrowind. Arrive as prisoner into one of areas and quest. Main plot could have been just some politicking n stuff

Of course main rule in action: be laconic. This includes area design too.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The modders are hilariously lazy with directions tho. I counted times where:
1 a famous area is not marked on map even tho it would make sense as it can be marked and there is no topic for it.
1.2 signposts aren't fully realized
2 you are not given directions to said area
3 you are given complex directions during quest introduction, but it vanishes from npc dialogue after and journal entry doesn't have it.
You d think morrowind modar would nail this and make quests and directions priority 1, but butt.

Also lots of npc chain quest givers are at 5th floor of tower behind 2 doors etc

Still its incdpredibly awesome when you say enter tomb and therr is dunmer familiy caretaker who says better not fuck with ancestors. And there are upgraded undead that are actually dangerous. Morrowind just was nonsense in that department. Like maybe old obsidian or something would nail such thing but not bethesda as it just treats a lot of things as dungeons to loot and not real place

There also seems to be strong turn to put 1 competent enemy in dungeon or few instead of 5 mooks. Which, frankly, is just superior.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
By morrowind standards it's not modded at all lol
I have graphicx herbalesm though and higher prices n stuff

Shadenuat

Arcane
After initial MODERS MODDERS MODDERS old ebonheart somewhat grew on me. Some daggerfall or g2 khorinis vibes maybe, or because it has cnc. Fighters guild with backtracking and reporting is asinine, but mage guild is nice, i only began thiaf guild. Legion was eeeh

Imperial cult asked in first quest for 10 dwemer metal to make saint figurines n sell them. MODDERS MODERS MODDERS

Funposter

Arcane
yup check my thread pg. 7 and make a game install with the economy, world rebalancing, and gameplay mods
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/lets-fix-morrowind.143633/page-7

most fun playthru of morrowind i've ever had
Very good. Also you guys should try this mod. It introduces the hability to play Hanafuda in Morrowind with some NPCs and merchants. It's a fun oriental card game. Nice way to make some money if you have economy mods that make harder to swim in money selling loot.

Now i just need some caravan in Morrowind, since i'm a card game RPG connoisseur.
I love Hanafuda but you need to disable the cheap combos otherwise it's just too easy to win and rake in lots of money, even with Harder Barter limiting your money-making opportunities. Find a wealthy merchant and go nuts.

Shadenuat

Arcane
TR sucks ass if you want a bunch of bloat garbage just play some ubisoft game
I had similar opinion, and still see most of it as bloat and modders self undulgence, but finally after ~20 years something in design changed. Newest content plays closer to indie morrowind and everything is tighter instead of gigalarger. It is amusing that it took so long for them to produce something coherent but of course it makes sense: it is quests and content that is really difficult in rpgs, not making pretty houses.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I updated my Morrowind Sharp guide.
  • Outdated instructions have been fixed.
  • Mods that I hosted on GitHub have been moved to Nexus, meaning downloading them is also easier with MO2.
  • Added some quality of life improvements, a couple minor balance mods, and a few visual goodies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom