Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yes 'Tis Depressing...

Well since everyone else is posting shit from NMA, I might as well post one that stood out:

The depressing thing is, on one of the forums I visit where I consider the users to be of a high degree of competence and intelligence (the majority work in the industry, including Lionhead devs, Realtime Worlds devs, etc.), every one of them is really keen to be playing Fallout 3, and very few of them have any problems with Oblivion.
They also couldn't care less that the game strays wildly from the gameplay and canon of the originals.

They just want a cool looking real time shooter in a post apocalyptic world with RPG elements; the majority even consider Oblivion's role-playing mechanics to be good. And to a man, they all love the look of VATS.

Even when I directed them to the appaling Trench Warfare video, they couldn't see the flaws of the game.

I think this speaks volumes as to why the industry is in the current state it's in.

This is actually what concerned me more about FO 3. If it tanks like Hellgate and people say "Bethesduh'd" from now on, things wouldn't bother me. But Oblivion was well-received by most developers such as Warren Spector and Fallout 3 will probably be held as an example to strive for in the industry.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
They also couldn't care less that the game strays wildly from the gameplay and canon of the originals.
tbh, i don't mind gameplay alterations as long as they don't shit all over the canon and it's still a good game, and there's no reason why a real fallout 3 could not be an fps, jump and run, or even racing game, and still a decent fallout and a good game in my book, but bethesda just lacks style and finesse required to make one of those (good games, that is).

Durwyn

Prophet
SuicideBunny said:
bethesda just lacks style and finesse required to make one of those (good games, that is).
True... They're like craftsmans, but without this spark of genius that is needed to make a really good game (Troika, sometimes Bioware) They're good at what they do: making pretty games, with not overly ambitious gameplay. It's what their target demands.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Admiral jimbob said:
Didn't Annie explain why developers never, ever criticise each other a couple of weeks ago?
there's a difference between claiming to be interested in something and not criticizing it. a developer who thinks beth are full of shit would simply keep his mouth shut, i'd say.

Chefe

Erudite
Well, we obviously have to burn these people at the stake.

Data4

Arcane
So, has Desslock blown his load over FO3 yet? You know it's coming. Either that, or he's fully prepared to take a load. Remove cigar, insert Bethesdick, and commence the swallow.

Norfleet

My view of the matter is that the game might not be awful, but whatever it is, it ain't Fallout.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom