Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Xenonauts - XCOM-like set during the Cold War

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Corsairs suck. They are no faster than Foxtrots are. They don't have any missile launchers at all and you're stuck going after everything with just cannons. If I wanted to do that, I'd just send my already-existing Condors!

The corsairs are in fact faster than foxtrots, iirc, and their two cannons outdamage the condors' 1 cannon + 2 small missiles pretty much at all points in the game afair, unless you keep developing explosives all the time but don't go beyond the basic vulcan cannon. And for the most part you need them as fire support for the foxtrots to bring down large/very large ufos because 2 foxtrots won't bring down a krooza by themselves unless they have plasma warheads, and then carriers+ need fusion warheads. Or at least something along those lines, my memory of the exact damages is kind of foggy atm.

The corsairs also have the tacticool dodge which you can abuse to hell and back to get flawless victories vs all kinds of shit.

Norfleet

The corsairs are in fact faster than foxtrots, iirc
Not according to Wikka and in-game Xenopedia. According to both sources, they are the same speed.

and their two cannons outdamage the condors' 1 cannon + 2 small missiles pretty much at all points in the game afair
Quite possibly true, but it's not merely the damage, but also the engagement envelope and target profile (not to mention the cost) that matters. Since everything is ultimately superceded by the Marauder, there is no point in wasting your money building something you're going to replace before you can finish rolling them out anyway. Ultimately, the Corsair is a half-assed attempt at fighter that I do not care for, and is quickly obsolete.

And for the most part you need them as fire support for the foxtrots to bring down large/very large ufos because 2 foxtrots won't bring down a krooza by themselves unless they have plasma warheads, and then carriers+ need fusion warheads. Or at least something along those lines, my memory of the exact damages is kind of foggy atm.
I have not really had a problem bringing down UFOs with the standard two-Foxtrot group. Of course, I tend to keep up to date on my warhead research, because warhead research directly impacts the my favored weapons in the field, as mentioned above.

The corsairs also have the tacticool dodge which you can abuse to hell and back to get flawless victories vs all kinds of shit.
So does the Condor, which is why I keep using them until I can finally replace them with the real deal.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Uh... You'd have a game over before you'd even get mag weapons.
Yeah I have to say, after using the Machine Gunner / Rocket Launcher / Shield Grenadier combo, I'm not finding the HUGE advantages being spoken of. I still lost guys. Plus I spent a lot of turns missing things and just doing damage to the trees with my squad of Rookies, Lieutenants and Sergeants. Not to mention reloading or just moving.

Shield Grenadiers do have an advantage in their ability to take a few extra hits and being able to throw a grenade for damage (and am now using Privates with Shields for scouting). They still get hit though and often lose their shield and take damage... but they do survive.

But forget carrying extra shields. Shields can only be equipped into hands (they don't fit anywhere else) which means you need your non-Shield Grenadiers to carry them into a mission and drop them on the floor of the ship.

... and then run back to the ship when your Shield breaks. By which point you're generally taking that man out of action or putting him to the back of the unit anyway as he's also low on health. And if you're spending that many turns running back to the ship, well you could spend as many doing a "safe" conservative ship assault anyway.

But as a unit idea, it's quite nice and not one I'd considered before.

Rocket Launchers just cause too much damage - and after having confirmed a few times now - yes, what you blow up does reduce your take-home end of mission pay. And if you're putting a "Rocket through the eye" of aliens at distance, then you could have done the same at twice the distance with a Sniper Rifle, with much more finesse and without destroying the alien corpse and lowering your mission income.

They are fun though. :D And are good as a weapon you can break into a ship with safely, but that's just instead of throwing grenades which would achieve about the same result. At the low-end, their ammo is heavy and unless your guys are close, they'll miss. Then they need to spend a whole turn reloading. You may as well take aimed Rifle shots or bursts at distance. My good Snipers can take an aimed and a snap at distance, and will often hit with both (or take an aimed and get to cover). A Rocket would take two turns just to fire once and leaves your guy standing in the open for two turns.

Likewise if your Machine Gunners are hitting 30% of the time, chances are that with Rifles at the same distance, they'd be able to not only take a nice aimed shot, but then move back into cover as well afterwards. Definite advantage in their suppression capability and just "firing into the dark" those times when shots appear from too far away for you to safely scout though. But... they're heavy and it means a lot of turns moving into place. And once you've fired, you don't have far to run.

You could burst at the same distance with a Rifleman and then get him back around the corner into cover for about the same amount of turns. Great advantage up close and personal, although here Shotguns achieve much the same effect with plenty of time to retreat.

So overall, I have to say the game's weapons so far are actually fairly balanced. That is, whatever you're happy with is most likely going to be as viable a strategy as any other. You're still going to lose guys whatever you do (until they git gud) and you're still going to be reasonably challenged (I'm assuming until you get the good armour, at which point nothing will matter as per usual).

Also, 'you should skip one of the gun tiers'. Yeah, no. Have fun not getting lazers once the androns appear. And then have fun waiting for MAG weapons once those 200+ hp elite aliens start appearing without researching plasma first - particularly since mag guns need you to loot a battle rifle from an elite caesarian.
The problem here is I did, and not by choice. I was literally at the point of beginning to manufacture Lasers when "Hey, you've got Plasma!" popped up and so just started manufacturing those instead. I am on Normal though, so perhaps on Hard that's better balanced?

What I do dislike is not being able to research each individual weapon though (I'm a masochist when it comes to research). And again, what Norfleet suggested about each type of weapon having different pros and cons would be much better because once you do get The Next Best Thing™, you just stop using everything else.

Also, 'you must protect america'. My first playthrough I lost America a month after I set up a base there. You can imagine how upset I was, but I still managed to haul ass to the end, despite verging on the limit of funding countries - one more pulling out would mean bye bye.
[...]
Xenonauts had a few flaws that really bugged me (particularly the lack of psi defence, I really fucking hated that), but what I really liked was that it was decently flexible when it came to the player approach, and didn't really force you to take any 'must be done asap' decisions. Hell, you can even kind of neglect weapon manufacture and land battles except for looting the necessary shit for research and go full air superiority instead.
I have to say, after another game month has gone by, that this seems to be more accurate. The extra income I'm getting from the Ruskies and Africa balanced out North America in my budget, resulting in an increase of about $600k that I wasn't expecting. That coupled with my mission earnings means my third base is already going into North America as we speak. Perhaps I'll lose it, but time will tell.

And I do appreciate having the choice and it meaning something. As has been said, X-com didn't have an economy. In Xenonauts, it actually matters. And you do have legitimate choices to make. New ships, or new base, or new weapons? In X-Com, you just ticked the "all of the above" box and kept on soldiering. I do think "building bases" especially early on, seems to take precedence, even over ground missions (going all air if necessary if you want an early boost - which might be something I try next game) but given how "fucked" I've played and that I'm still surviving (on Normal) I can't complain. And even then, expanding, and building bases to cover more area as quickly as possible just makes sense.

So all up, my impressions so far:

++ Multiple viable strategies depending on your preferred style of game-play. With rockets for carnage to Snipers for finesse to even just air superiority.
++ Decisions matter. Economics forces you to think a little more carefully about what you choose to spend your money on.
++ Plenty of flexibility (on Normal) to fuck up and yet still recover.
++ Good old Solid X-Com turn-based combat, where your men will die.
-- All the weapon techs are the same, just with progressively better stats.
-- Free stuff is just lame. Everything from auto-upgrading ship weapons to base facilities to ammo... while you pay insane amounts for other shit.
-- Small mission maps so far, with little variety in the tile set and low alien counts. Really disappointed by my first alien base. Nothing compares to those in TFTD. Still hoping this improves later...​

Sure, the occasional alien dropped useless ammo, but you could pawn that ammo for profit and get even more money to spam rocket and autocannon with.
I think this is the main difference between your play-style and mine. I'm much more the Sniper. I'm all about distance, accuracy and cover. Once I've spotted an enemy with my Rookie scout, it's the 3 guys still at distance who are taking shots. With my approach, I don't worry too much about Strength, mostly just TUs and Accuracy. Where-as you're much more distance + inaccuracy. The spray and pay style. Keeping your guys back far enough that the aliens don't see them / can't hit them and letting the Rockets and Machine Gun fire rain down.

And given they are fairly high damage weapons, I can see them lasting a lot longer into the end game, while my strategy demands a higher level of weapons research and building kit.

It's just a pity you aren't penalised financially for blowing up the terrain and causing collateral damage. That'd fuck your shit up. :P

Makes some amount of sense to me. The amount of weight I am carrying around on my back shouldn't really offer an impediment to my ability to fire my gun. But that's just the oddity of tying movement and firing to a single cost. In real life you can both move and shoot. Combined move/shoot AP systems tend to promote camping and turret-behavior.
Yeah, though I think the % of TUs bugged me in the first X-Com too. Makes no sense for one guy to be firing with 8 TUs while carrying 18 metric fuck tonnes of shit on his back, while another takes 60 to "setup, position" and then fire the same gun when his pack is empty. I'd prefer something like a hard "50 TUs to burst fire this weapon" limit (and actually the Machine Gun should have a "setup" and "pack-up" cost too but whatever), with people who are carrying more requiring more TUs to fire. Xenonauts seems ass-about this way. A guy with a fuck tonne of shit can still setup and fire a Machine Gun in the same "turn" a stronger guy carrying much less can? Not bloody likely...

But yes, well aware that depends on how you "view" TUs as a game mechanic.

I honestly cannot say I considered Energy a particularly limiting factor in Ye Olde X-Com, and I was loading down dudes much in the same way I do here. You mostly only ran down your energy if you forced a dude to run across the map carrying a shitpile of stuff without rest.
You clearly never had to run through that fucking seaweed shit in TFTD. And oh God, the multi-map missions. The start of every second turn was spent just ending turns a few times so everyone could rest up.

If anything, the Xenonauts devs probably omitted this because it was such a non-factor in the original X-Com that it didn't warrant mentioning again.
Yeah, with the above said... I'm not sad to see Energy go.

The real reason I ignore entire technology branches in the game is the simple reason that they are inferior. There is no reason that justifies their existence. Entire branches of X-Com equipment are ignored for the same reason, even though these items can be sold at profit: Because they are INFERIOR. At least you're not penalized for trying them, but ultimately, you ignore them, because they're inferior. The entire branch of X-Com Transport Craft, for instance, you utterly ignore. I have never, ever, in any playthrough, built a single non-Skyranger transport other than the Avenger. I similarly have shunned all the interceptors other than the Avenger. I do not even recall their names! It sure as fuck wasn't because of their cost, because you wallow in your money and alien loot in X-Com. The fact of the matter is that they are shunned because they lack reason to exist. The combination of their cost and the fact that the basic low-budget gear is "good enough" simply cements the deal. I also kinda completely ignored the shit out of all of the advanced alien-tech vehicles in X-Com, too, preferring to stick with Ye Olde Starter Rocket Tank. I always brought one, I always used the starter rocket tank. Because it had a frikken rocket launcher, and the other ones DIDN'T.
[...]
But I think it should be pretty clear from other threads that I am an utter miser and really, really hate wasting my money, and that any strategy I advocate will thus inevitably involve being an utter cheapass.
Yeah, I can see your strategy being pretty sound for late-game play. Even my Rookies at out-of-sight range could usually hit at least 1 in 10 with the Machine Gun, or at least suppress the enemy on most occasions (albeit that used a fuck tonne of ammo). If they were good, well fuck me, there'd be a lot of dead exploding aliens everywhere. Rockets and Machine Guns do some pretty solid damage if they hit. Plus I could totally see their shots taking out / suppressing multiple enemies while Shotguns or Rifles only take the one you're aiming at. Throw in a few extra TUs to move another step or two, and they're highly effective. And why spend the money on Laser / Plasma if you're killing things as it is?

Norfleet

Yeah I have to say, after using the Machine Gunner / Rocket Launcher / Shield Grenadier combo, I'm not finding the HUGE advantages being spoken of. I still lost guys. Plus I spent a lot of turns missing things and just doing damage to the trees with my squad of Rookies, Lieutenants and Sergeants. Not to mention reloading or just moving.
Yeah, but it's not just turns spent, but the TYPE of turns spent. Turns spent groping around in enemy contact are stressful and demanding. Turns spent moving and reloading, pass quickly. It may help if you don't behave quite so aggressively and play it cool. There's no hurry.

But forget carrying extra shields. Shields can only be equipped into hands (they don't fit anywhere else) which means you need your non-Shield Grenadiers to carry them into a mission and drop them on the floor of the ship.

... and then run back to the ship when your Shield breaks. By which point you're generally taking that man out of action or putting him to the back of the unit anyway as he's also low on health. And if you're spending that many turns running back to the ship, well you could spend as many doing a "safe" conservative ship assault anyway.
I *WAS* doing a safe, conservative assault. This makes it SAFER.

Rocket Launchers just cause too much damage - and after having confirmed a few times now - yes, what you blow up does reduce your take-home end of mission pay.
Destroying ship furniture definitely has an effect, but I'm a bit more iffy about its correlation to aliens. Like I said: I noticed a VERY LARGE discrepancy between items taken home and items I physically picked up on the field, and when I reloaded it to experiment, I found that nothing I did mattered.

And if you're putting a "Rocket through the eye" of aliens at distance, then you could have done the same at twice the distance with a Sniper Rifle, with much more finesse and without destroying the alien corpse and lowering your mission income.
There are 3 things you've overlooked:
1. Rockets don't have to explode, there are also Stun Rockets, which work real nice early game, both for accomplishing live captures and neutralizing foes without even needing LOS, so they can't even shoot back when you wrap the gas around corners.
2. Sure, you could land a single sniper rifle shot as well...but that's not gonna faze him, not until you get the good rifles, and even then, you'll likely need two shots.
3. Rockets can hit even when they miss, or at least accomplish something. If I fire a sniper shot, and I miss and hit the wall instead, the job is no easier for the next guy. If I do this with a rocket, the explosion may severely injure the offending alien, and the wall that was blocking me isn't there anymore. I've made the next guy's job easier.

At the low-end, their ammo is heavy and unless your guys are close, they'll miss.
Yeah, but what else were they gonna carry? Those pansyases need their strength exercises! I've had guys carrying rockets even when they don't have rocket launchers, for ballast and to resupply the rocketmans.

Then they need to spend a whole turn reloading. You may as well take aimed Rifle shots or bursts at distance.
One rifle shot ain't gonna do jack shit, hit or miss. Rifles get a lot better with MAG and become the line weapon, but not Earthling rifle, that thing is shit. Rockets, on the other hand, hit or miss, do SOMETHING, even if that something is creating a purple fog of area denial.

My good Snipers can take an aimed and a snap at distance, and will often hit with both (or take an aimed and get to cover). A Rocket would take two turns just to fire once and leaves your guy standing in the open for two turns.
It also creates a cloud of purple fog or destroys the enemy's cover. Or the enemy. Depending on what you're loading.

Likewise if your Machine Gunners are hitting 30% of the time, chances are that with Rifles at the same distance, they'd be able to not only take a nice aimed shot, but then move back into cover as well afterwards.
30% MG accuracy is VERY GOOD and means an average of 3 bullets on target, plus however many bullets weren't on target but hit someone anyway, plus suppression. 30% rifle accuracy? You MIGHT hit ONE bullet, which is gonna do fuck all. I'm usually unloading at the 15-20% range, and I still get lots of kills. Remember, if your accuracy is shit at that range, so's theirs, and you've got a lot more bullets to unload than they do!

Definite advantage in their suppression capability and just "firing into the dark" those times when shots appear from too far away for you to safely scout though. But... they're heavy and it means a lot of turns moving into place. And once you've fired, you don't have far to run.
Pssh. Run? They're the ones doing the running, since you're unloading 3 or 4 machineguns at them while the next team advances into a new firing position so that they can take up the dakka.

You could burst at the same distance with a Rifleman and then get him back around the corner into cover for about the same amount of turns. Great advantage up close and personal, although here Shotguns achieve much the same effect with plenty of time to retreat.
I see it more as as case of bullets-per-AP. As far as maximum bullets fired per AP goes, the MG beats all of them.

So overall, I have to say the game's weapons so far are actually fairly balanced. That is, whatever you're happy with is most likely going to be as viable a strategy as any other. You're still going to lose guys whatever you do (until they git gud) and you're still going to be reasonably challenged (I'm assuming until you get the good armour, at which point nothing will matter as per usual).

The problem here is I did, and not by choice. I was literally at the point of beginning to manufacture Lasers when "Hey, you've got Plasma!" popped up and so just started manufacturing those instead. I am on Normal though, so perhaps on Hard that's better balanced?
Nope. Hard changes nothing there. In fact, it makes it worse: You're too BROKE to afford anything new before the next thing becomes available.

I have to say, after another game month has gone by, that this seems to be more accurate. The extra income I'm getting from the Ruskies and Africa balanced out North America in my budget, resulting in an increase of about $600k that I wasn't expecting. That coupled with my mission earnings means my third base is already going into North America as we speak. Perhaps I'll lose it, but time will tell.
Yeah, you don't want to LOSE North America, or ANY of the major regions, but where you go FIRST is up to you. I would immediately begin constructing coverage over whatever you don't choose first, though.

I think this is the main difference between your play-style and mine. I'm much more the Sniper. I'm all about distance, accuracy and cover.
Yeah, you see, my style actually closely matches your style, and our methods kinda converge later on. The difference is, I'm accustomed to the idea that I won't get my preference early on. So I fall back on plan B. You try to snipe early on, you discover that your puny dink gun just isn't gonna faze them, and your troopers are too shit at sniping to snipe. It's not like the later game when I have a MAG Sniper and 90% to-hit odds due to my roster of 100-acc troops. The early game is spray and pray, and I just accept that and roll with it. When I have to choose between a 50% chance of hitting with one bullet, and a 15% chance of hitting with 10 bullets, which one of these is going to give me more bullets on target?

Once I've spotted an enemy with my Rookie scout, it's the 3 guys still at distance who are taking shots. With my approach, I don't worry too much about Strength, mostly just TUs and Accuracy. Where-as you're much more distance + inaccuracy. The spray and pay style. Keeping your guys back far enough that the aliens don't see them / can't hit them and letting the Rockets and Machine Gun fire rain down.
It's not so much a what-I-am as it is a what-I'm-given. I am GIVEN a bunch of shitty guns and guys who can't shoot for shit. I make the best of it by hosing the range in lead. Once the performance of my dudes improves to tolerable levels due to experience and better hardware, my strategy converges towards your higher-precision strategy...but once you've tasted the dakka, you never quite give it up, and even though I eventually start to issue MAG Snipers in significant percentages of the force, I still use a lot of MGs, because, frankly, MGs STILL log a better shoot-orders-to-kills ratio. With MAG Sniper, it takes maybe one or two shots to down an alien...which you may or may not get. The MG? Pretty much always kills 'em dead. Not only is the offending target alien now Swiss cheese, but all his buddies are cowering in terror, a thing that the Sniper Rifle just doesn't do.

And given they are fairly high damage weapons, I can see them lasting a lot longer into the end game, while my strategy demands a higher level of weapons research and building kit.
Yeah, your sniping strategy doesn't really pay off until you get the good guns, and the good troops.

It's just a pity you aren't penalised financially for blowing up the terrain and causing collateral damage. That'd fuck your shit up. :P
Like in X-Com Apocalypse, you mean?

Strangely enough, my favored weapon there was...the MACHINE GUN again. The Earthling Machine Gun actually caused a very low level of collateral damage. It also caused a relatively low level of damage, period, but each shot cost you all of 1 TU until your guys started to get a lot of TUs (at which point it suddenly jumped to 2 and became crap), and was pretty much an awesome weapon until then.

Yeah, though I think the % of TUs bugged me in the first X-Com too. Makes no sense for one guy to be firing with 8 TUs while carrying 18 metric fuck tonnes of shit on his back, while another takes 60 to "setup, position" and then fire the same gun when his pack is empty.I'd prefer something like a hard "50 TUs to burst fire this weapon" limit (and actually the Machine Gun should have a "setup" and "pack-up" cost too but whatever), with people who are carrying more requiring more TUs to fire. Xenonauts seems ass-about this way. A guy with a fuck tonne of shit can still setup and fire a Machine Gun in the same "turn" a stronger guy carrying much less can? Not bloody likely...
I think the logic behind %-TU is that a faster, more agile guy, doesn't actually make the gun cycle faster, but the entire combined-AP system really kinda results in weird things, like the inability to move while reloading. I dunno about you, but in real life, I tend to reload on the move specifically because the accuracy drawbacks of moving do not impact you when you are simply reloading anyway and therefore not shooting.

You clearly never had to run through that fucking seaweed shit in TFTD. And oh God, the multi-map missions. The start of every second turn was spent just ending turns a few times so everyone could rest up.
Ah, that's where you and I differ, then. My guys typically only move every other turn, because they move one turn, and then they cover the other half of the team the next turn.

Yeah, I can see your strategy being pretty sound for late-game play. Even my Rookies at out-of-sight range could usually hit at least 1 in 10 with the Machine Gun, or at least suppress the enemy on most occasions (albeit that used a fuck tonne of ammo). If they were good, well fuck me, there'd be a lot of dead exploding aliens everywhere.
My strategy is what GETS me to the late game where I can afford to snipe like we want to. We actually both want the same things, but I recognize that the cards I'm given won't permit it to be done effectively. And yeah, hitting one in ten with the machine gun means you practically always hit, and the suppression mechanic means even your misses are worth points. Hitting one in ten with the sniper rifle means you always miss, and it does fuck all for you when you miss.

Rockets and Machine Guns do some pretty solid damage if they hit.
They do solid damage if they hit, but more importantly, they do solid damage when they miss, too, since they rip up enemy cover, have blast AOEs, and cause suppression and area denial from purple clouds of stun fog.

Plus I could totally see their shots taking out / suppressing multiple enemies while Shotguns or Rifles only take the one you're aiming at. Throw in a few extra TUs to move another step or two, and they're highly effective. And why spend the money on Laser / Plasma if you're killing things as it is?
Exactly. The money saved goes towards playing the Air Superiority game which gets me more money.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Speaking of rockets, I would never consider skipping them simply because of their tacticool demolition, not even the damage.

One particular nasty situation that was one of the defining moments of my Xenonauts playtime illustrates this nicely. I had a shotgun guy (highest rank on the team) scouting the 2nd floor of a building during a terror mission. Everything looked empty and dandy, and then I turn around and see a fucking reaper 4 steps away from me. The shotgun blast doesn't kill him.

A few other dudes in the vicinity were out of AP, while the rest of the squad was chillin' outside the building. No one had a shot on the reaper because he was in a fucking dead spot between windows.

But then sergeant Excidium the rocketeer blew up the whole damn wall of that place (risky shit, too, because the dude in distress was right next to the wall) and opened it to the riflemen. Bang, bang, reaper goes down and the day is saved.

Never skip the option for tacticool demolition.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Some comments: Heavy machine guns are great because they almost always supress the target(unless its immune), which prevents reaction fire and sometimes even them firing back at all.

Armor never gets that good. Even with the best armor in the game, your dudes can still get one-shot if the alien has a heavy weapon.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah, but it's not just turns spent, but the TYPE of turns spent. Turns spent groping around in enemy contact are stressful and demanding. Turns spent moving and reloading, pass quickly. It may help if you don't behave quite so aggressively and play it cool. There's no hurry.
True that. I noticed I was still doing my "duck-out, shoot, cover" routine. And the guys that died got too far ahead of the pack, or the pack wasn't in the right position with enough TUs available to have everyone provide support properly. Usually ye olde, "Wait.. I don't have enough TUs to move, turn to face the enemy and shoot" as I pretty much limit myself to taking pot-shots at distance, over multiple turns, until the alien goes down. Which opens myself up to alien fire depending on how many guys got shots in.

It's interesting running two squads though. One with Shield Grenadiers, Rockets and Heavy Weapons, while the other with Plasma Snipers, Rifles and Carbines. The latter I usually break into groups of two each which can take out whatever I run into (jump out behind wall, yell SURPRISE and shoot at fairly close range), with a "worse case scenario" being the Snipers bringing up the rear to finish the job. The former team I move as one squad frog-leaping each other along the edge of the map. Both are having reasonable success. Still getting injuries in both and the odd casualty of course but that'll happen when everybody decides to miss the one bloody alien.

Do you pick recruits based on Accuracy or Strength?

Destroying ship furniture definitely has an effect, but I'm a bit more iffy about its correlation to aliens. Like I said: I noticed a VERY LARGE discrepancy between items taken home and items I physically picked up on the field, and when I reloaded it to experiment, I found that nothing I did mattered.
Really? I was counting alien corpses and weapons and found that even a few grenades blowing up some corpses reduced the corpses recovered and weapons recovered numbers, in line with what I'd blown up. And what I recovered matched what I counted on the ground.

2. Sure, you could land a single sniper rifle shot as well...but that's not gonna faze him, not until you get the good rifles, and even then, you'll likely need two shots.
Is this a "playing on Hard" thing? Because the Star Trek guys (that I'll still encounter) usually don't take hits from the regular Sniper Rifle all that well... And now that I've got Plasma Snipers, I'm one hitting Drones, and those Green Robots as well. Usually for 110+ damage or more.

I assume at some point I get different / harder aliens. But I've *almost* equipped my two teams with Plasma gear as it is.

One rifle shot ain't gonna do jack shit, hit or miss. Rifles get a lot better with MAG and become the line weapon, but not Earthling rifle, that thing is shit. Rockets, on the other hand, hit or miss, do SOMETHING, even if that something is creating a purple fog of area denial.
Not when they miss an alien standing in an open field, fly right on by and explode the tree line behind him. :P

Yeah, you see, my style actually closely matches your style, and our methods kinda converge later on. The difference is, I'm accustomed to the idea that I won't get my preference early on. So I fall back on plan B. You try to snipe early on, you discover that your puny dink gun just isn't gonna faze them, and your troopers are too shit at sniping to snipe. It's not like the later game when I have a MAG Sniper and 90% to-hit odds due to my roster of 100-acc troops. The early game is spray and pray, and I just accept that and roll with it. When I have to choose between a 50% chance of hitting with one bullet, and a 15% chance of hitting with 10 bullets, which one of these is going to give me more bullets on target?
I'm finding new recruits with 60+ Accuracy that aren't too bad off the bat. And again, the starting Sniper will kill the Starting aliens until such time as you get replacements.

Again, this may be a "Normal vs Hard" thing though. And I can certainly see how Hard might change that much more in favour of the "spray and pay".

One particular nasty situation that was one of the defining moments of my Xenonauts playtime illustrates this nicely. I had a shotgun guy (highest rank on the team) scouting the 2nd floor of a building during a terror mission. Everything looked empty and dandy, and then I turn around and see a fucking reaper 4 steps away from me. The shotgun blast doesn't kill him.
You're a horrible Commander for sending in your man alone with such confidence. He deserved to die. Next mission, have your squad shoot him to serve as a lesson.

Now, has anyone played with the Community Edition at all?

Again, this may be a "Normal vs Hard" thing though. And I can certainly see how Hard might change that much more in favour of the "spray and pay".

Yeah, difficulty makes things a lot harder. It's something like an overall 25% stat increase from normal->hard and 50% normal->insane. High level Sebillians are god damned ridiculous on insane.

Yeah, I'd recommend it even for a first playthrough. The Xenonauts devs are adding in many of the XCE fixes to vanilla in the final patch, which is in testing.

Norfleet

Do you pick recruits based on Accuracy or Strength?
Neither. I pick recruits based on Bravery, then Reactions. Accuracy, Strength, and TUs are all easily-buffed attributes, Bravery is nigh impossible to buff, as outside of intentionally disarming all your guys and exposing them to repeated Psi attack until they panic, very little will buff it in a way that you can survive. Reactions, similarly, is a tough attribute to train, since it involves allowing a dangerous alien to live and possibly shoot you if you fail to react appropriately.

But TUs, STR, and Acc are all trivially trained and thus relatively unimportant. Especially when you're spraying rockets and MG anyway.

Norfleet

Yeah, difficulty makes things a lot harder. It's something like an overall 25% stat increase from normal->hard and 50% normal->insane. High level Sebillians are god damned ridiculous on insane.
Oh, yeah, high-level lizardmen are insane. You can forget about the idea that rockets are overkill. THERE IS NO OVERKILL: ONLY "OPEN FIRE" AND "I NEED TO RELOAD". I've seen one eat two rockets to the face and live. You can forget your pansy-ass sniper rifle. NEED MOAR DAKKA.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Oh, yeah, high-level lizardmen are insane. You can forget about the idea that rockets are overkill. THERE IS NO OVERKILL: ONLY "OPEN FIRE" AND "I NEED TO RELOAD". I've seen one eat two rockets to the face and live. You can forget your pansy-ass sniper rifle. NEED MOAR DAKKA.
High level lizardmen are still the easiest high level troop since you can still suppress them and their accuracy is shit.

Norfleet

I have not found the "their accuracy is shit" part to be true, they seem to be as deadly as snipers as everything else, and if you can see it, it's too close. If you leave an alien still alive at the end of your turn and within sight, you gonna die, period. They are, however, fairly suppressable, like anything else which isn't Androns, that you're unloading as many shots at as I am.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
'Their accuracy is shit' doesn't hold anymore once the elites start appearing. Plus, the lizards are hella annoying because you *must* kill one during your turn due to their popamole regen.

Eyeball

Arcane
I believe the lizardmen had their accuracy boosted a few patches back. Last time I played, they were indeed pretty laughable marksmen.

Eyeball

Arcane
Speaking of which: It's been a few months since I last played. Any interesting mods out yet? I played the big Moar Shit Everywhere mod, but it added a lot of unneccesary firearms and tedious micro regarding ammo management as well as some superderp aliens taken straight from the Aliens! film.

Fucking modders.

But anyway, are there any mods that vastly improve upon the base game? The "breaching" mod certainly seemed interesting.

Norfleet

'Their accuracy is shit' doesn't hold anymore once the elites start appearing. Plus, the lizards are hella annoying because you *must* kill one during your turn due to their popamole regen.
Their regen is the least of your worries if you fail to kill them while they're within your sight.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
The main thing I'd like is dynamic ufo crashes. In the original you'd wind up with different walls blown out and stuff like that. In xenonauts almost nothing of the ufo gets destroyed no matter what, so the only real way you can tell if it was a crash or a landing is in how many aliens you have to kill to win.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Now isn't a great time to try the CE, because the stable vanilla 1.5 version is about to come out and so the CE is just a release candidate. Looks like it's decently under construction right now.

If you just want to improve the base game and not get crazy, vanilla v1.09 with the map pack, tile art and improved enemy turns, it really makes the game feel larger without 'a bunch of modder shit'. The maps especially are high quality.

Here's the link to the current CE if you're interested: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12594-X-CE-0-32-Release-Candidate

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
BRIEF CHANGELOG:
  • Steam Workshop & better mod support has been added
  • An epilogue from the Chief Scientist has been added to the victory screen
  • 70 community maps bundled with the game as an optional mod (must be activated in the launcher if you want to use them)
  • Air combat now has time acceleration buttons
  • Line-of-sight system for soldiers significantly improved
  • Cover indicators added to the ground combat
  • Late-game alien psionics / berserking now less unfair
  • Units behind walls / props are easier to see
  • Soldiers now get a nationality flag
  • Money made less tight on easier difficulty settings
  • Fixed a lot of crashes / hangs and made a lot of usability improvements
:incline:

Maybe it's time to do a new playthrough of this.

Norfleet

I can't say I ever felt air combat NEEDED a time acceleration button, seeing as leaving the map is based on fixed edges rather than distance-from-enemy, and you're usually engaged in circling turning matches which requires split-second control as you can only give linear movement directions, meaning that to circle requires constantly reissuing movement orders.

Norfleet

Why'd they take that away, other than that it wasn't displaying? Did it wig out, or what?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom