Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Xenonauts 2 - now available on Early Access

ArchAngel

Arcane
I enjoyed blowing the floor under the feet of aliens in Xcom 2. I want Xeno2 to have that as well :(

Khorne

Arbiter
Can you queue unit orders in xenonauts2, like when a soldier is moving can you select another soldier and move him at the same time before the animation completes?
Can the camera not follow the moving unit when another unit is selected but rather keep the focus on currently selected unit?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can you queue unit orders in xenonauts2, like when a soldier is moving can you select another soldier and move him at the same time before the animation completes?
Can the camera not follow the moving unit when another unit is selected but rather keep the focus on currently selected unit?
I agree that would be a good thing to have.

Mazisky

Magister
Silent Storm, S3, and Hammer Sickle, has destructible terrain.

The bare ground level is not. But if you are on second floor, you totally can destroy the place you are standing on and fall to the ground.

That's because a 0,5 meters ceiling is less tough than kilometers of earth surface.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
IIRC you could fall down to the basement as well, provided there was a basement level below the building. SS,S3,H&S nailed the destruction in turn based game IMO.
I'm almost sure they used some kind of "weight" attribute to wall parts, so after destroying some chunks of it, others would basicly fall because of not enough support.
Also, shooting thru' materials was working great as well.

Goldhawk

Goldhawk Interactive
Developer
A quick update for you guys (sadly it's less of a news story for you guys than elsewhere), but we've started actively publicizing our free builds now - essentially they're a lot more polished these days, and actually feel like a small slice of a game. You can download them here: https://af.gog.com/game/xenonauts_2_demo?as=1649904300

They're going to remain free until we get the strategy layer operational and linked in with the ground combat; that's at least a month away but probably a bit longer. Until then there's new releases every two weeks, the next one being due on 28th Feb (i.e. Tuesday next week).

There's been a bunch of general improvements to the game, but the biggest for me is that the map has been switched up. You're no longer playing the same map every time, and all the maps we make can be switched into six different "biomes" with a few clicks, so even playing the same map repeatedly is much less dull than before. There's only one map in the current build but that's because we're hoping to get UFOs in relatively soon (which will mean throwing away our previous maps); in future there will be quite a few more and when coupled with the biome-swapping tech it should keep the play experience fresh right the way through development.

Here's an example of a map swapped into two different biomes, shots taken in-engine. Full gallery showing the other biomes is available here: http://www.xenonauts.com/xenonauts-2-media/

xenonauts2_boreal_biome.jpg
xenonauts2_tropical_biome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want to try the new version but I have no idea how. It says I already own this item and I can't seem to find it anywhere to install in gog galaxy.

Oops, I had it hidden :oops:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Okay, tried a quick battle. Some impressions and feedback:
  • The animations are much smoother and responsive! Damn it felt good moving around the soldiers and I'm glad you removed auto-crouch.
  • Shooting also felt much better. Bullets travel faster and shooting with the machine-gun actually felt like the guy shooting was laying down covering fire.
  • I don't like that the ragdoll-effect was removed from your own soldiers. Looks silly that everyone falls the same, and ragdoll is one of the greatest thing with a 3D-engine!
  • Why do the soldiers stand up when shooting? It feels like everyone is just taking random potshots instead of stabilizing their rifle on the cover. I know it's just a visual thing, but looks odd - to me at least.
  • Now that you have a 3D-engine I really miss going prone. Getting caught in the open I so wanted my guy to just hit the deck, instead of casually taking a knee and shooting back.
  • Graphics is really nice and clean, but the character need some anti-aliasing. What is also impressive was how fast the map loaded on my old machine. Ran well and looks good.
  • We need blood and horrific plasma wounds! :)

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Well the perfectly rectandular 90° rocks do look somewhat funny, probably done just to fit the grid. :D The environment in general is pretty sweet though.

Goldhawk

Goldhawk Interactive
Developer
Thanks for the comments and to Alienman specifically for his feedback.

The cliffs are blocky mostly because you don't want them intruding too far onto the tiles otherwise units start clipping through them when they perform certain animations. Being cautious on this front isn't necessarily a bad thing though - once you start to break up the battlefield and make it look more natural (more irregular cliffs, more ground plants, etc) then it actually gets quite hard for a player to see at a glance where a tile (and by extension a possible move location) is with a single glance, which makes gameplay more frustrating than it should be. We had some negative feedback on that point for our very first public build.

We'll test the crouching fire animations in the game and see how they look, and we're also planning to give the ragdolls another pass at some point to see if we can get them looking good. The original ones looked pretty silly but hadn't had an artist look at them.

ArchAngel

Arcane

The cliffs are blocky mostly because you don't want them intruding too far onto the tiles otherwise units start clipping through them when they perform certain animations. Being cautious on this front isn't necessarily a bad thing though - once you start to break up the battlefield and make it look more natural (more irregular cliffs, more ground plants, etc) then it actually gets quite hard for a player to see at a glance where a tile (and by extension a possible move location) is with a single glance, which makes gameplay more frustrating than it should be. We had some negative feedback on that point for our very first public build.

We'll test the crouching fire animations in the game and see how they look, and we're also planning to give the ragdolls another pass at some point to see if we can get them looking good. The original ones looked pretty silly but hadn't had an artist look at them.
Even with those few people wanting blocky rocks, the most will notice it and it will bother them after so many hours spent playing it. Try to find something in the middle, atm they look terrible and really stick out.

Naraya

Arcane
I don't have a problem with blocky rocks but they remind me of nuXCOM a lot (not necessarily a bad thing and FWIW I think yours look better).

I have a different question - will the game be based in the same time period as the original Xenonauts?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

Ragdoll is a must! I mean if my guys have to die, at least you can make it hilarious :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom