Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xenoblade is out in europe!

Mortmal

Arcane
Finally something we get before USA , if you hate JRPGS , stop reading, this isnt for you, buf if you sometimes enjoy a good one, like FF7 FF12, planescape torment, chrono trigger , this is the game for you. , its the epic jrpg that appears once a blue moon.
Why bother with this one ? well its closer tho the tradional jrpgs , the 120 hours scope one ( yes really) with lot of secrets, huge area to explores, stats,items, way more stats than a mass effect game and the enw shit.
There's strategy in the combat even if they are real time, think combat like FF12.
I say check th eurogamer review or something awful thread for more details, theyll do it in better english than i can, i ve tried the game myself and its definitively as good as they say it is.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
So it's 120 hours of grind with real-time combat? Fucking A.

Mortmal

Arcane
Falkner said:
So it's 120 hours of grind with real-time combat? Fucking A.
So far i dont feel the grind, but you know the pattern.. Its maybe the swan song of jrpgs, as even in japan none is interested by them anymore. Also it will be ported to usa only if sales are good in europe.

Johannes

Arcane
Am I the only one who nowadays gets turned off by hearing a game takes 120 hours to complete? I mean, it'll take months to complete, and it's bound to get repetitive at some points no matter how good it is to start with.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Mortmal said:
Finally something we get before USA , if you hate JRPGS , stop reading, this isnt for you, buf if you sometimes enjoy a good one, like FF7 FF12
trololol

Andhaira

Arcane
Ok saw a gameplay video on youtube. It looks like crap. First of all, it's not turnbased, which takes it out of the league of the jrpg titans of yesteryear. Second, the graphics suck.

Mortmal

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
Ok saw a gameplay video on youtube. It looks like crap. First of all, it's not turnbased, which takes it out of the league of the jrpg titans of yesteryear. Second, the graphics suck.

Andhaira dont like it ! Do you need any more reasons to get this game guys ?
Oh its not turned based thats for sure that doesnt define a rpg,not even a jrpg.Ill say it again better a well executed real time system than a poorly thought turn based.
Its how you say nowadays... Ah yes visceral! It could be compared to DA2 system but done right, the action is fast paced, plenty chain combos, plenty of flashy visuals, its really addictive ,no really. It wont get any award in the writing departement, as jrpgs like planescape do it much better, its of the level (if you can call that a level) of FF12, but i dont feel the urge to slap the main hero at least, and the pesky little blonde is crushed and devored quite early in the game, thats a good point.
Graphically its gorgeous(for the wii) monster hunter is prettier but the huge environement and style make up for it.
No this game is far superior from what i was expecting it to be , a simple diversion while waiting for deus ex. its deepp complex and sometime challenging. A complete win id say.

I dont know if it works well on dolphin, reading boards it seems not so good. I would advise buying it ,would be too frustrating to loose a save or encoutering a nasty bug after 50 hours of gameplay.

deuxhero

Arcane
It may be a jRPG, but Monolith makes some amazing ones (mhh... Baten Kaitos).

I'll emulate next year when I upgrade my PC, as NoA is a bunch of dicks.

Sucking off a dude in public is less of an embarrassment than playing this shit. :roll:
d266107f0e429d2d4ef477f2522ba798.jpg

Renegen

Arcane
The game has top credentials, made by the people who did the Xeno- series. But since it's Wii, not interested.

Stabwound

Arcane
It's not really a game that would appeal to the Kodex Krowd, but from what I've played of it so far, it's pretty damn good for a console RPG.

It's not at all like the "classic" console RPGs. More like the better PS2-era RPGs, which haven't been anywhere to be seen lately. I've only played about 2 hours, but it's really caught my attention, and seems like it has a unique story. Pretty good voice acting and visuals if you play it upscaled on the Dolphin emulator. My first impression would be that it's a far better Final Fantasy 12 (or especially 13) than the actual FF12 and 13. On the downside, I'm not really a fan of the FF12-like battle system, which is akin to an MMORPG "stand there while your character fights" system.

Unfortunately, playing on an emulator has its problems, it seems. The game runs at about 120% speed due to some kind of emulation error (watch Youtube videos of the Jap version to see what I mean), and it can't be fixed at this point. It also has very erratic crashes. Other than that, it performs very well; I can easily play upscaled 1080p at full framerate on my rather modest system. Crazy how much better Wii games look when upscaled.

Mortmal

Arcane
Black Bart Charley said:
Sucking off a dude in public is less of an embarrassment than playing this shit. :roll:
d266107f0e429d2d4ef477f2522ba798.jpg

Well tbh i close the curtains when playing jrpgs and be sure no one watching, the sight of lolis and manga character would be embarassing and people would question my virility thats for sure.

To hobo, theres no grind really, its fast paced , you level fast and acquire lot of abilities, much more fast paced than old jpgs, its not comparable to the chore of a dragon quest .

Also the mod who moved it to general gaming is a faggot. Move skyrim , mass effect 2, DA2 threads to general gaming if you have balls. Xenoblade chronicle is more deep and complex than those games. Cease being an hypocrit the games we are discussing about in rpg gaming are all console ports.Wich was the last true rpg we played designed for computers ? Avadon i think, 5$ on steam now.

Stabwound

Arcane
Is anyone else playing this? I'm having a shitload of fun with it; it's an excellent game if you like console RPGs. It's very refreshing to play one that isn't "bad guy wants to destroy the world!" too. Do yourself a favour and download it and play on an emulator if you have a decent enough computer. Or import it and play it on your Wii, whatever. It looks really nice at 1080p upscaled, though. There's also a simple patch that fixes the "game running too quickly" problem I mentioned in my previous post.

Some might be a bit turned off by the MMORPG influences (random fetch quests, which are optional) but the game in general seems to be top notch. I'm guessing there aren't a lot of console RPG fans here, but if you are, this is a great game, and probably the best console RPG in years.

Misterhamper

Scholar
Stabwound said:
Is anyone else playing this? I'm having a shitload of fun with it; it's an excellent game if you like console RPGs. It's very refreshing to play one that isn't "bad guy wants to destroy the world!" too. Do yourself a favour and download it and play on an emulator if you have a decent enough computer. Or import it and play it on your Wii, whatever. It looks really nice at 1080p upscaled, though. There's also a simple patch that fixes the "game running too quickly" problem I mentioned in my previous post.

Some might be a bit turned off by the MMORPG influences (random fetch quests, which are optional) but the game in general seems to be top notch. I'm guessing there aren't a lot of console RPG fans here, but if you are, this is a great game, and probably the best console RPG in years.

Is it playable with gamepad on dolphin, or do I need mouse+KB to emulate dat dere infrared controller?

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, it's designed to work with the "classic" controller. I'm using a PS2 controller, works perfectly.

Mortmal

Arcane
"Some might be a bit turned off by the MMORPG influences (random fetch quests, which are optional) but the game in general seems to be top notch. I'm guessing there aren't a lot of console RPG fans here, but if you are, this is a great game, and probably the best console RPG in years."

Oh there is many closet console fans here, just look at the forum activity , speak of the next xbox 360 blockbuster like skyrim or mass effect 3 , youll get a megathread and that in the rpg forum although those games have almost nothing left that could define them as rpg.
Speak of a retro 8 bit rpg , or an indie retro like game, you'll get 10 answers at best. A complex japanese wizardry clone is launched ? the thread is moved to general gaming, jaesun is hopeless...
Well about xenoblade,they will spit on it cause its on wii,for no other reasons than kids and casuals play some games on it, but its definitively a very good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom