Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XCOM - First Interview

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Interview ]</strong>

Alec "you can start believing" Meer has a few XCOM articles to be found at Rock Paper Shotgun and Eurogamer. Let's start with the first <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/15/exclusive-2k-marin-talk-xcom/" target="_blank">XCOM interview</a> at RPS (conducted back in March).
<blockquote>RPS: What are you expecting the fan reaction will be? I realise a new audience is probably the main priority, but when this hits the internet people are going to have something to say &ndash; and a lot of them may be negative on principle.

I hope that it&rsquo;s very positive. The series has been sort of fallow for a long time now, and I think what we want to do is pick up those key elements that defined the original X-COM as something that is remembered and we want to take those great things and present them in a new take. We want to push those elements into the first-person genre and get people excited about being on the ground during this invasion. I think, I hope the reaction is positive. I think it will be once people start to see the kinds of things that we&rsquo;re doing. I look forward to hearing what the fans have to say.

RPS: They may just be glad that it&rsquo;s not Enforcer 2.

That&rsquo;s why we are really trying to capture the essence, returning to the source, because those were the things that were cool. Diverging off that path I think would be a mistake. And it was a mistake. Y&rsquo;know. Arguably.

RPS: Have you worked at all with the Gollop brothers, the original creators of X-COM?

[Pelling shakes head. Serious looks all round.]
</blockquote>
On to Alec's <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xcom-e3-2010-preview?page=1" target="_blank">preview</a> at Eurogamer.
<blockquote>Go flame grenade! Thanks to the evidence you collected on prior missions, your scientists have been able to research the Blobs and then come up with a counter-measure. With the blueprints passed to your engineers, you can now order up as many flame grenades as you need - and they scorch a Blob into so much flat tar in seconds. Use 'em sparingly, mind. You can only take so many with you on each mission, and they cost a ton to manufacture. Money doesn't grow on trees; money grows from government funding, and that's something you need to earn.
</blockquote>Now back to RPS for reasons why XCOM <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/16/xgood/" target="_blank">might not suck</a> ...
<blockquote>There is a base. I don&rsquo;t know how much control you have over it, but it&rsquo;s appealing to think you somewhere to go back to plan your next move &ndash; and that that move is not mandated by the game.
</blockquote>... and why it <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/16/xbad/" target="_blank">might suck</a>.<blockquote>There&rsquo;s a base, but it looks to be fixed and static, and about having conversations with NPCs rather than orchestrating the human resistance via business, strategy, military might and floor-planning. If it&rsquo;s just a glorified mission selector and exposition spouter, it&rsquo;s going to be deeply unsatisfying.</blockquote>

Gondolin

Arcane
That’s why we are really trying to capture the essence, returning to the source, because those were the things that were cool.

What source are we talking about here, motherfucker?

Jonathan Pelling, Creative Director: One of the great things about 2K is that we’re really good at making first-person shooters.

Figures. :decline:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Jason said:
I think what we want to do is pick up those key elements that defined the original X-COM as something that is remembered and we want to take those great things and present them in a new take.
That’s why we are really trying to capture the essence, returning to the source, because those were the things that were cool. Diverging off that path I think would be a mistake. And it was a mistake. Y’know.

He doesn't have a fucking clue what he's talking about, does he?

Micmu

Magister
OMFG THERE IS A BASE GUYS!11
And mebbe u have control over it OMG !11 XD
This game will RULE! Essence rite there!1

Achilles

Arcane
This game will be shit, the backlash will be huge and it will be the beginning of the end for next-gen faggotry.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Alexandros said:
This game will be shit, the backlash will be huge and it will be the beginning of the end for next-gen faggotry.

Suuuuuure...

'ive never heared of the originals but this relly looks awsome and i also lovd bioshock'

MetalCraze

Arcane
Console shooters.
In Tacticular Cancer News.

...Decline is complete?

RPS: They may just be glad that it’s not Enforcer 2.
Sounds like one forum I know.

Alexandros said:
Yes, of course.
And then Obsidian will make an addon for it.

Jason

chasing a bee
Console shooters.
In Tacticular Cancer News.

...Decline is complete?
I had decided earlier that there's no point in TCancer covering XCOM after the initial announcement and details, but later caved in because I don't have the strength to resist rubbernecking a clusterfuck of this magnitude.

Achilles

Arcane
Why do you have to kill my dream :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom