Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown VS. Xenonauts VS. OpenXcom

Had the most fun with?

• Total voters
feels inviting, and it's on sale... damn, i hate to be in touch with my feminine part.
damn you gabe!

Eyeball

Arcane
Give it a few months and the answer will become obvious.

The answer will be "whichever game has the best mods", since Xenonauts is the most blatant ripoff I've seen since Nicki Minaj became a black Lady Gaga.

The answer will not be "2013 XCom" because that one was not very good.

Thane Solus

Arcane
i take them as completely different games, i love the original UFO to death, and i played almost every year since its release. X-COM EU+EW i didnt like it much at first, but it grew on me and played it a lot, its a different beast, but i like it, of course they are many things retarded in it, but overall for me its a good game (surprisingly, to say at least). Xenonaunts is nice game, but i prefer the original Ufo over it, due to that incredible atmosphere and music, still its a nice try and i am sure many will like it, maybe ill try it again, i pledge for it anyway...

Psyckosama

Novice
Enemy Within man here. I like the original XCOM but I have to admit EU/EW's polish had me the second I saw it. Probably why I bought it twice. Seriously, when you have nothing better to do it's probably the best game you'll ever find on Android.

I haven't bothered with Xenonaughts and was annoyed that they pulled Blaster Bombs and Human Psi for making the game easy (read as 'Fun'). I'll wait for it to go on sale in 6 months or not bother at all.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Enemy Within man here. I like the original XCOM but I have to admit EU/EW's polish had me the second I saw it. Probably why I bought it twice. Seriously, when you have nothing better to do it's probably the best game you'll ever find on Android.
Doest this draw the battery of a tablet at lightning speed?

I haven't bothered with Xenonaughts and was annoyed that they pulled Blaster Bombs and Human Psi for making the game easy (read as 'Fun'). I'll wait for it to go on sale in 6 months or not bother at all.
Actually,the reason they were removed was to make the end game less of a walk in the park if I recall.

When Enemy Unknown first came out, and my friends and I were huddled around various computers playing it, everyone always renamed their best shooter Marty Bryant, after the prominant spree shooter (who incidentally resulted in changes in Australian gun laws when it dawned on people that low IQ retards probably didn't need semi-automatic rifles).

The music and ambience, the glorious fatalities, huting down mind controlling bastards, the ending turns in a doorway with a sectoid pointing a plasma pistol at your nuts.

Probably greatest game ever for me. Mostly I liked blowing a hole in the side of a spaceship and taking out a cone shaped path of destruction. Oh, and the cattle mutilation references. Amazing game. Haven't played the others... will do.

You know what my favourite thing about the Martin Bryant massacre was? That 6 months after having the world's biggest solo gunspree massacre, we Australians also managed a clean sweep of all the Olymipic shooting sports:)

Also, while Marty B may have triggered our strict firearm laws, public opinion was pretty divided about banning guns at the time. The thing which swung public opinion around to our current overwhelming support for the prohibition on guns? Too funny: as soon as the PM announced plans for the gun buyback scheme, the head of the Australian gun lobby went on TV and did a face-red-with-anger interview (on every tv news, and reported on the front page of every newspaper) where he screamed "If they try to take our guns away, the streets of Australia will RUN RED WITH BLOOD!!!".

And everyone else in the country went: "uh....we're not comfortable with you being armed anymore...".

MapMan

Arcane
Okay. So What's the deal here? Is OpenXCCOM really the best choice, nostalgia aside? I played the XCOM Enemy Unknown and got bored. I don't have any particular reason. It just didn't seem either challenging or interesting to develop/research etc. Now I played xenonauts and it seems very linear in progression. The battles are nice but predictable. I'm kinda torn and dunno which one I should play. What about the new xcom + expansion + mods? Or maybe vanilla xcom + expansion?

34scell

Augur
btw

gI5x93f.png

:yeah:

Okay. So What's the deal here? Is OpenXCCOM really the best choice, nostalgia aside? I played the XCOM Enemy Unknown and got bored. I don't have any particular reason. It just didn't seem either challenging or interesting to develop/research etc. Now I played xenonauts and it seems very linear in progression. The battles are nice but predictable. I'm kinda torn and dunno which one I should play. What about the new xcom + expansion + mods? Or maybe vanilla xcom + expansion?

Yes, play the original X-Com with OpenXcom.

The original X-Com didn't get an expansion, it got a standalone palette-swap where you do most of the same stuff under water with some new enemies and Lovecraft vibes. It's a good game as well but play the original first, hopefully OpenTFTD will come soon.

New X-Com + Enemy Within + Long War is bretty gud but its in beta and crashes almost as often as it's updated. Totally different kind of gameplay though.

DefJam101

Arcane
terror from the deep master race

Xenonauts is cool but has some pacing problems that mods will probably sort out in a few months

Ng Kock Leong

Barely Literate
I like the original X-Com (UFO Defence) (However, don't find TFTD impressive and hates apocalyse).
Never tried Open X-Com (will try it one of these days), but if it's true to X-COM, it's certainly very good.

Xenonauts is too hard for me. Interceptor fuel is too little. Sometimes, when UFO lands and before your Charlie reaches it, your interceptor had to go back home.
For the first combat, usually the squad outnumber the alien 1.25-2 times.
However, the terrain and alien technology will even that out.
Still most of the time, I have my whole squad wipe out in the first mission.
(Usually, the alien need 1 shot to kill your squad whereas you need 2 or more to kill an alien)

X-Com : EU and EW, I don't really like it except for the graphics.
Had finished once but never bother to try again.
What I dislike about the game is
1. Only 4 squad initially. The aliens usually outnumbered you and with better technology. Thus there is no edge, just pure luck and reloading the game. (I dislike to reload games)
2. Too little progression. Usually in the mid game, few of my squads who survived long enough will have reached max level.

For me,
assuming Open X-COM is same as X-Com Original, 1st rank.
Xenonauts, 2nd rank.
EU and EW, last and for me, even if there's a third expansion coming out, I will not get it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
you should try the "long war" mod for xcom ew.
This.

I haaated the original XCOM when it came out but I warmed up to it considerably after EW and now with the Long War mod it's the best UFO-like game there is.

Both Firaxis and the modders really filled almost all the gaps of the vanilla and now this game is a peach to play. It's got only one fault left and it's a biggun - the consoletard action system that replaced the original action points mechanics. It's idiotic, cumbersome and it makes the game much slower at higher difficulties. Unfortunatelly it seems so hardwired it's beyond repair.

but beware: difficulty in long war is beyond retardedly hard (by midgame you could be assaulted by a team of 5 muton berserkers with 30+ hp each who close on you in a single turn while you could, at best, dent a single one) and it's excruciatingly long.
on the upside it adds a lot of the variety xcox lacks.

whatevername

Arcane
Xenonauts is too hard for me. Interceptor fuel is too little. Sometimes, when UFO lands and before your Charlie reaches it, your interceptor had to go back home.
For the first combat, usually the squad outnumber the alien 1.25-2 times.
However, the terrain and alien technology will even that out.
Still most of the time, I have my whole squad wipe out in the first mission.
(Usually, the alien need 1 shot to kill your squad whereas you need 2 or more to kill an alien)
Give everybody rocket launchers and fill the inventory with rockets. Also pack 1 guy with pistols or rifles in case you run out rockets... Blow up the farther half of the map with rockets while staying near the chopper (if you hear a scream, blow up the same spot again). Advance and blow up the saucer's door and then blow up everything inside. Whole alien squad wipe out in the first mission.

baturinsky

Arcane
Thing I hate about OpenXCom the most, is that they made alien able to mindfuck even those operatives they don't see. As a result, I had to avoid Etherial missions at all cost and I have abandoned the game during final mission.

Gord

Arcane
Thing I hate about OpenXCom the most, is that they made alien able to mindfuck even those operatives they don't see. As a result, I had to avoid Etherial missions at all cost and I have abandoned the game during final mission.

Wasn't that always the case? Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, there's a n option to switch psi to requiring line of sight.

whatevername

Arcane
That was the case in the original XCOM.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Guys my back hurts from sitting on this shitty chair, can I fully control Long War mod with my 360 controller as well as I can in the unmodded game?

m_s0

Arcane
You can play OpenXcom on android, btw.

No contest: OpenXcom. Though Xenonauts is also good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom