Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information XCOM: Enemy Unknown Has a Demo

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
You realise that all this criticism and resulting failure of the game will lead developers to conclude that "turn-based strategy games don't sell".
And then they will change their mind again when Wasteland 2 sells 2+ million units!
Game publishers are not learning animals. Whatever happens they will draw bullshit conclusions and set themselves up for failure.

kentable

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Seriously, da fuck? Only Max Payne 3 has disappointed me more this year. Can devs stop using cut scenes like it's value added toilet paper? Less is more bitches! When you make half your game cut scenes when do you step back and ask yourself are you making a movie or an interactive game? Interactive movie to rule them all?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I'm not even sure if it is worth to mention all the cliches like the scientist chick (today's special offer: two cliches at the price of one! Hot scientist and German scientist!), who basically promises to suck your dick if you bring her more alien artifacts. Romance plot anyone? :facepalm:
Hey, fuck you. Such cliches can be quite fun if done properly.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
for all you fucks that are too lazy to actually visit the strat forum and the thread there:
You can change the difficulty by editing "BaseGame.ini" in the install directory. Find the line: "GameDifficulty=+0.0" change this to "GameDifficulty=+3.0" for Impossible.
Supposedly, it alters HP values, fog of war and AI (yeah, this also means the demo defaults to easy peasy mode).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not even sure if it is worth to mention all the cliches like the scientist chick (today's special offer: two cliches at the price of one! Hot scientist and German scientist!), who basically promises to suck your dick if you bring her more alien artifacts. Romance plot anyone? :facepalm:
Hey, fuck you. Such cliches can be quite fun if done properly.
Yes, I know.

Allanon

Augur
Am still interested to see how it turns out – it was tactically unwise to do a ‘demo’ that was just the tutorial, but I’m not going to automatically write off the whole thing for one stupid mistake. Particularly as the actual game is (allegedly) primarily random missions on random battlefields with scripted missions only for a few plot related ones.
Having said that, this is still an insult to the original, and the six-person limit is just a retarded move.

As far as I can tell from some previews and interviews I've read, the battlefields are not really random. You'll just have the same chunks of the maps rearranged differently. The aliens and the insertion point will vary though.

I wonder if Firaxis will release mod tools at some point. This game might be fixable.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's an optimistic view on this demo:

Assuming lots of retarded stuff is the consequence of the demo being a demo and representing the start of the game (cutscenes) and that the full game has fully-fledged strategic layer, this game could be rather fun. Maybe not in X-COM kind of way, but rather in the style of Incubation, which I rather liked in its time.

Granted, Incubation was a fun little game, because it wasn't very long (30 missions) and its gimmick was introducing new enemies in a fitting environment constantly, to keep you on your guard. The gimmick worked exactly because the game was not very long. Incubation also had hand-crafted missions, which allowed for a greater control of gameplay and made it almost a puzzle game of sorts (with the combo of enemies and terrain being the puzzle to solve).

This type of gameplay probably won't work in a long game of 100-200 randomly generated missions, but I guess we will see.

Repressed Homosexual
Oh wow look at the RPS comments if you dare.

Most people think this is a good PC interface and they're glad that all those useless combat options are gone.

And I didn't see a single person complain about this dumb cinematic garbage. I wonder if this place is the only sane community left on the Internet.

Repressed Homosexual
Most commenters are one of the following three:

Drooling fratboy or dork
Brownnosing blogger or journalist
Burned out veteran who wants to feel like a hardcore gamer but wants lower to no difficulty - the old journalists and everyone at QT3 are in this group

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Maybe it's the case of a bad demo. It wouldn't be the first time it happened, even though a demo is supposed to showcase the good parts of the game. I'm not fond of the very serious direction they took with it, especially compared to the campy but serious tone of the original. Art style is ok and consistant so far, and the cinematic look isn't too bad. The 2 actions per turn system isn't necessarily bad and is all about the scale of thing. After all you have a smaller squad with special moves and smaller maps this time but depending on how it's done it can be good — that's me being hopeful there and not rejecting changes just because they are changes. The problem is that these missions do not show much, as others said. I'm pretty sure that the full game has more to offer than this but this demo is rather tepid at best. Still on the fence for that one.

Johannes

Arcane
What do you think, if you'd have a good big and challenging map that's not scripted to hell, are the base mechanics good enough to make that interesting?

Israfael

Arcane
How the mighty are fallen... According to this interview, http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/03/time-for-a-change-firaxis-on-xcom-part-3 , the things that made the game unique (TU management, inventory, randomness, other complex factors) made testers 'frustrated' ... And the right (tm) decision was not to alleviate it somehow, like make a sane tutorial where typical consoletards can learn basic manouvres and strategies (i.e. not running forward with all toons like a drooling retard and not doing scouting with tank / least important operatives), but to cut it to the ground...

For me, it probably wont be an XCOM game in its classic sense.. its a Warhammer tabletop reskin with aliens and console UI..

Gord

Arcane
What do you think, if you'd have a good big and challenging map that's not scripted to hell, are the base mechanics good enough to make that interesting?

If that happens and
IF the aliens move around on their own, and not just as a result of spotting them and
IF the AI proves at least half-decent and
depending on just how linear the game will ultimately be, I think it might prove to be interesting enough to warrant buying it at least once it's on sale.

There's some potential to the core-gameplay, it's just impossible to judge from the demo if the devs manage to use that potential.

Smarts

Scholar
I ain't givin' up on this yet.

Seen a few video reviews and previews, that PAX livestreaming stuff and some others, where people have said 'I played the demo, and it felt too linear, not right at all, but then I started playing the game for real here and it's really good!'.

I'm down to one engine and a tank of fumes and blind faith here, I admit.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Not a fucking chance PC was the lead platform, not with this clutzy ass UI. Plug in the 360 controller...and waddya know, the whole sweeping camera bullshit starts to make more sense.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller

1994: It took 7 people to make X-COM UFO Defense. Two guys who did both design and programming, 2 artists, 2 music/sound guys and a project manager.

1996: It took over 30 people to make a “more of the same” sequel. Now we have 4 assistant producers, 12 artists, 6 level designers, etc.

1997, XCOM Apocalypse, a game that kinda sucked. Over 50 people team. 5 sound guys. 21 artists. An army of level designers. We even have a brand manager now. Good times are about to roll.

2001: X-COM Enforcer or Say Goodbye to the Series. Great job managing the brand, assholes.

2012: o_O

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom