Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
Are psionics op in LW2 like they are in vanilla?
LW2 balanced it a bit differently and it is harder to use them (as you need to do many missions at same time you cannot have that 1 Psi Ops do all your missions). I think it takes longer to level them and you need to send them on missions so you can level them more after that.
does anyone reccomend the red fog option?
It makes the game easier for you because 90% of the time you are alpha striking and whoever survives will be no challenge to your team.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You should not be using true concealment with LW2, concealment already works differently in LW2. Timers don't start until you are in concealment and enemies don't get alerted all over the map once you break concealment, they got sight and hearing radius and don't move towards your team just because

does it not make more sense for the timer to start after you break concealment?
LW2 already fixed this without needing such a mod. Missions that aliens didn't know about you, their timers don't start until you break concealment. Also LW2 timers are not game ending. In vanilla Xcom 2 failing a timer in many missions means you lose the whole team instantly, in LW2 they start dropping more and more reinforcements as timers run out making you hurry and extract or get overrun.

ArchAngel

Arcane
stop trying to find sense in xcom2, there is none. lw2 (and another crapload of mods) could do only so much.
While LW2 certainly did improve it, it still suffers from base game problems like 2AP system, lack of real inventory, enemy moving in pods and activates on contact with your team (or even worse in LW2 they activate off screen by sound and come in groups and shoot you from a flank - although this was implemented to punish having all soldiers very close to each other and doing overwatch traps and LW2 lets you scout all sides with a Shinobi so you see when new group is coming) and so on. Best tactic from Xcom 2 vanilla is to find a place where you can set your troops into overwatch (somewhere high usually) and wait for groups to come into area. In vanilla they never shoot back during that first action while in LW2 they can if they were alarmed by sounds or seeing dead bodies.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
https://www.pcgamesn.com/gaming-vpn

A new Steam database entry hints at a coming XCOM 2 expansion
By
Julian Benson

xcom%202%20expansion.png

Since the release of War of the Chosen, last year’s standalone expansion for XCOM 2, Firaxis have been quiet on the turn-based tactics front. However, while the studio may not be saying what it’s working on, entries to the Steam database suggest the team could be making a new expansion.

While waiting on XCOM 2 news, you may want to brush up on Phoenix Point's campaign.

Two months ago an “Unknown App” was added to XCOM 2’s Steam database entry:

xcom%202%20expansion%20tle.png

Other than the fact that the entry exists, there are no other details we can pull from the it. Maybe, at long last, we’ll see a new XCOM: Terror from the Deep.

However, the entry that XCOM fan Mazisky posted to the series’ subreddit, included a ‘TLE’ designation, suggesting that it was an acronym for the next expansion’s name.

Any guesses? Personally, I’m going with Texas Longhorn Eatery, and the expansion will see XCOM turned into a turn-based restaurant sim.

Ivan

Arcane
Sup Bros, getting that Xcom itch again and the last I've played is Xcom 2. Should I try Long War (haven't really played 1 or 2) or jump into the WotC expansion?

Mazisky

Magister
Sup Bros, getting that Xcom itch again and the last I've played is Xcom 2. Should I try Long War (haven't really played 1 or 2) or jump into the WotC expansion?

Depends if you liked Xcom 2 or not.

If yes, go straight Wotc

If not, try LW2

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you want just more of the same but even more ridiculous then play wotc.
If you want a complete overhaul mod that tries to fix what can be fixed without whole redesign of the game play Long War 2.

Mazisky

Magister

Depends if you liked Xcom 2 or not.

If yes, you have issues, get help

If not, try LW2

fixed for you.

I'm pretty sure a psychiatrist would find more issues in being edgy for simple matters like videogames tastes.

It's basic science, nothing personal.

Ivan

Arcane
Curious that nobody is recommending Long War 1. Is there not much point in going back to that one?

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is an Xcom 2 topic. Xcom 1 (and LW1) have their own. We all are obviously more interested in Xcom 2 since we are posting and discussing here.

mastroego

Arcane
Curious that nobody is recommending Long War 1. Is there not much point in going back to that one?
Well if it helps I have 650+ hrs logged with Long War 1.
Still haven't played LW2 (nor vanilla #2). I was hoping a fully DLC-ed LW2 version would come out but it won't, so I understand I'm stuck with the base bugged engine.

I started playing LW2 as soon as it came out and some stuff was wonky and unbalanced etc, so I put it aside until now. Is it a good experience now? It was not bad when I tried it, but I seem to recall people saying they were going to work on a lot of things and possibly change some things and thus I set it aside...

ArchAngel

Arcane
I started playing LW2 as soon as it came out and some stuff was wonky and unbalanced etc, so I put it aside until now. Is it a good experience now? It was not bad when I tried it, but I seem to recall people saying they were going to work on a lot of things and possibly change some things and thus I set it aside...
Latest version is mostly bug free and better balanced.

Ivan

Arcane
Sup Bros, I just finished my first WotC playthrough and had an absolute blast for 3/4s of it. I still maintain that onec the Gatekeepers stop showing up the game really loses steam and you can easily steamroll through everything else. I don't get why they didn't introduce "hero" variants of regular enemies.

That being said, I'm looking for my next fix. I grew up on consoles so Firaxis' XComs are the only one's I've played. I'm going to give the original a shot, do I need any mods beyond OpenXcom? Are the Long Wars mods worth looking into: are they just super slow progression?

mastroego

Arcane
As I said above, I've played only LW1.
I'm no scholar in regard to this genre, but I found it amazing.
Still yes, it IS freaking long, probably too much considering that even with the large number of maps you'll see the same ones again and again before your run is over.
Still worth it imho.
Don't save-scum too much or you'll trivialize the experience AND make it even longer, risking to get burned out on the whole thing.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sup Bros, I just finished my first WotC playthrough and had an absolute blast for 3/4s of it. I still maintain that onec the Gatekeepers stop showing up the game really loses steam and you can easily steamroll through everything else. I don't get why they didn't introduce "hero" variants of regular enemies.

That being said, I'm looking for my next fix. I grew up on consoles so Firaxis' XComs are the only one's I've played. I'm going to give the original a shot, do I need any mods beyond OpenXcom? Are the Long Wars mods worth looking into: are they just super slow progression?

Make sure to play the nightly versions of OpenXcom. The 1.0 is ancient by now.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

OpenXcom is still unbalanced as hell, its just a community pack with lots of different mods glued together, not always properly balanced and setting wise. It's still one and only one good vanilla-ish mod to play, if you want xcom unknown experience as close to original, with some things improved[like much needed addition of sniper rifles].

ArchAngel

Arcane

OpenXcom is still unbalanced as hell, its just a community pack with lots of different mods glued together, not always properly balanced and setting wise. It's still one and only one good vanilla-ish mod to play, if you want xcom unknown experience as close to original, with some things improved[like much needed addition of sniper rifles].
Open Xcom with default options on is almost same as 1994 game, only some bugs fixed and support for modern windows and widescreen.
What unbalance are you talking about?

Ivan

Arcane
Playing OpenXcom nigthly and some observations:

-despite the game telling you that you have a really low % shot, auto fire seems like a win when you close distance
-I got destroyed on my first terror mission b/c I didn't know how to use flares (do they prevent enemies from using reaction fire)?
-no idea how reaction fire works, I make sure to leave my soldiers with enough TU to fire back but they usually don't
-I've used the stun rod on one sectoid but apparently i already had aliens in my Containment Center despite never having stunned any (wtf?)
-atmosphere is excellent, great sound
-did a terror mission where I was mind controlled but completed said mission without encountering any new enemies, unless that mini ufo was responsible

So far so good: I have plenty of the ugy brown armor and am using Laser Rifle. Progression seems really fast here. I'm wondering how I'm going to start saving money to build my second base.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Sometimes aliens keel over but aren't dead, so you bring them to your containment facility. The only guaranteed way to get live ones is to stun them though.
Reaction fire depends on stats, a really slow dumbo won't be able to react quickly. I don't think there's a way to prevent aliens from reaction firing an you though, which makes breaching UFOs so damn dangerous.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Playing OpenXcom nigthly and some observations:

-despite the game telling you that you have a really low % shot, auto fire seems like a win when you close distance
-I got destroyed on my first terror mission b/c I didn't know how to use flares (do they prevent enemies from using reaction fire)?
-no idea how reaction fire works, I make sure to leave my soldiers with enough TU to fire back but they usually don't
-I've used the stun rod on one sectoid but apparently i already had aliens in my Containment Center despite never having stunned any (wtf?)
-atmosphere is excellent, great sound
-did a terror mission where I was mind controlled but completed said mission without encountering any new enemies, unless that mini ufo was responsible

So far so good: I have plenty of the ugy brown armor and am using Laser Rifle. Progression seems really fast here. I'm wondering how I'm going to start saving money to build my second base.
- hit % is only chance to fire in general direction of your target. Bullets still travel and can hit anything in the way even if they miss. When you are close to them, bullets don't have enough travel time to diverge from the general direction of your shot and you still hit them.
- aliens see in darkness, you don't. Flares are there to level the playing field.
- game compares reaction start+left over TU between your soldier and alien and the one with better total gets to shoot or move first. your starting soldiers usually got crappy reaction stat or only a few got a decent one. if you want to kill aliens with reaction shots you should find out which soldiers are decent at it and only reserve their shots for reaction fire
- aliens can go down without dying (something that often happens to Chrysalids, make sure you blow up bodies of all of them or suffer the consequences) and usually they start bleeding out until they die. If you finish the mission without some dying they are picked up alive and returned back as prisoners. But important tech is locked behind different alien officers or commanders so to make sure those are capture alive you will need to use stun rod and other weapons
- atmosphere is still unmatched by all spiritual successors in so many years after it (I am hoping PP manages to capture it better)
- terror missions will bring in alien commanders and they got extra tricks. if your first terror mission is vs sectoids and Cyberdicks (not a typo :D) just return your troops into the skyranger and run away. better to lose first terror mission than all your troops and their gear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom