Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have no idea how mecs work now, and I hear alien rulers are shitty, but I'm sure they could be modded to be good additions.
They can't. XCOM 2 shouldn't be about fighting a boss of the week. It's not shonen.

It should be, theoretically, a game about guerrilla warfare against alien oppressors. Which are not oppressing. And the warfare isn't guerrila, it's same deployment as in XCOM with a missions that you couldn't refuse/delay. So the current gameplay is pick all missions and when you'd be lucky until you have additional slot for a soldier, you'd have massive boost.

And yes there should be base managenment, which isn't that much managing. Items are build instantly, instead of experiencing consequences of limited manpower and manufacturing facilities. Basically they made sequel without much improving last version of original game with expansion.
The timed missions are a massive improvement, though, as you are not rewarded anymore for advancing at a glacial pace. It gives an element of risk vs reward that was badly missing from XCOM1. But they did not address most other problems indeed, especially on the strategic layer.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Still no expansion announced? Is Xcom 2 dead? :(
They announced Long War 2 for it.
Heard the original creator of LW mod bailed out to work on something else (game) and remains of the team do this thing. Even with devs support (giving them access to tools etc.) they did not released alpha yet?

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
And yes there should be base managenment, which isn't that much managing. Items are build instantly, instead of experiencing consequences of limited manpower and manufacturing facilities. Basically they made sequel without much improving last version of original game with expansion.

This was the biggest disappointment of XCOM2 for me (which I did enjoy). The weakness of the strategy layer/base management portion of XCOM 2012 was primarily due to the boardgaminess of it. Then instead of revisiting this decision, they doubled down on it by making the the sequel's strategy layer a deck of "special event" cards you purchase with time units. They then quadrupled down on this decision by apparently not extending the mod-friendly design principles to the strategy layer from what I've read.

I think this not an uncommon design approach, since you see developers talking about running PnP sessions of their vidja-game RPG systems, and I'm sure it has virtues. The problem is that paper systems thrive on abstraction with complex actions reduced to single input die rolls, which ignores a major advantage the computer has over a human GM; the ability to have mathematically complex mechanics which would be a nightmare for humans.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...mod-will-be-more-accessible-to-casual-players

XCOM 2's Long War mod will also cater to casual players
But higher difficulties remain incredibly punishing.

Following last week's announcement that XCOM 2 will be getting its own Long War mod, we spoke with its lead designer John Lumpkin about what he's planning this time around.

His team, Pavonis Interactive (formerly Long War Studios), has worked alongside Firaxis since before the launch of XCOM 2 and it sounds like this partnership has only strengthened as it tackles its biggest project yet.

"We are frequently in touch with the XCOM team at Firaxis," said Lumpkin. "They've been a great help to us when we're sorting through the code, making new maps, that sort of thing."

So what's different this time around? The original Long War mod for XCOM: Enemy Unknown transformed the game's campaign into something much longer (surprisingly) and offered a whole range of new toys, abilities and enemy designs to play around with.

"In the most general terms, our goal is to tell the XCOM 2 story in our own way," explained Lumpkin. "Taking the game in the direction we took XCOM: Enemy Unknown - going for an extended campaign that keeps you on the knife's edge between victory and defeat for the duration. And as with the original Long War, we added lots more problems for the players and also lots of new tools to solve them, but this time they are heavily influenced by the game's guerrilla war theme."

xcom-2s-long-war-mod-will-be-more-accessible-to-casual-players-148404664884.jpg

But let's be honest, when we talk about the Long War mod, we inevitably talk about its difficulty. Very few people have completed a full campaign on Impossible difficulty, as it requires such consistent, smart play over such a gruelling number of missions.

"The original Long War's DNA was that of a hardcore mod," said Lumpkin. "And while we made plenty of effort to open it up for a wider playerbase once its popularity grew, it kept its reputation as being very challenging. This go-round, we've tried to broaden our appeal by keeping the lower difficulty levels of Long War 2 more accessible to casual players who would still like to take part in an extended campaign experience.

"Those difficulties probably still harder than the unmodded game in the sense that we've added a bunch of mechanics for the player to figure out and master, but the gameplay is set up to be more forgiving to players as they learn the ropes. And make no mistake, the higher difficulties are still things even experienced players should very much lose.

"Our testers have finished campaigns in roughly 100 to 120 missions. The strategy layer is also quite a bit more involved than XCOM 2 players may be used to. That mission count is not quite as long as Long War for Enemy Unknown, but we feel like we've hit a good number where every mission matters and moves things forward but without it becoming a grind."

We don't have any word yet on when to expect this mod's release, although Lumpkin promises it's "coming soon". As for the team's own strategy game, Terra Invicta, which was announced last year, it's still being worked on in the background. For the time being, however, Long War 2 is the focus.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They must be getting paid if they can just pause their main game while working on this.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Our testers have finished campaigns in roughly 100 to 120 missions.
I'd rather they had a fleshed out not too long war version than a casual one.
From the beginning, it seemed like Firaxis was funding them, but it makes quite some sense given that they are the ones who benefit the most from it.

Mazisky

Magister
Our testers have finished campaigns in roughly 100 to 120 missions.
I'd rather they had a fleshed out not too long war version than a casual one.

They said they wanted to avoid grinding, so it makes sense. Still a lot longer than vanilla but not so long to became a boring grinding fiesta.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My main reason for not playing Long War is that I don't really get the appeal of so many extra missions, so I guess that's good news

baturinsky

Arcane
There is a Second Wave option to make it about half shorter.

But I think point of many missions is to have the space to experience tactical variability that LW provides.

ArchAngel

Arcane

But I think point of many missions is to have the space to experience tactical variability that LW provides.
And that is how I played Long War. The original version was way too slow and grindy. Even the 100 to 120 missions of LW2 might be too much for me. When I played and finished Xenonauts it took me about 120 missions and I remember I was fed up with it near the end and just wanted to finish it (even started bombing most crashed UFOs instead of doing the ground part).

Perkel

Arcane

And time to adjust to gear and find best tactics using it.
Problem with original was that you get so fast new stuff that you hardly have any time to use it.

In Long War each new upgrade feels powerful and you have time to appreciate it.
Same with soldier skills. In original hardly you ever tried to test different skills. In LW since you make shitload of new soldiers you test stuff regularly.

Mazisky

Magister
New official infos for LONG WAR 2:

-5 Total tier of weapons: Balistic>Laser>Magnetic>Coil>Beam, every tier offer a unique feature (Lazers give aim, Coils gives Armor pen, etc.)

-Weapons are built individually and not as squad upgrade

long_war_2_coilguns_hero.jpg

Screenshot: Coil weapon, 4th tier

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I disagree. XCOM2's difficulty is wildly rubber banding - if you do poorly, things will spiral out of control, and if you do well, things become a breeze. The last thing the game needs is more of that.

My main reason for not playing Long War is that I don't really get the appeal of so many extra missions, so I guess that's good news
there's an option to shorten it, and it remains excruciatingly long.
the best thing you can do is editing the game, binding "win mission" to whatever you like and then autowin whatever mission you deem "filler". lw is a good mod but daaaaamn it likes to drag on and on and on and on forever and ever.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
-Weapons are built individually and not as squad upgrade
FUCK YA. i can imagine the stories of retrieving guns from fallen soldiers. SO GOOD

now if they self destruct or some shit that's some grade A faggotry

That's another reason I'm sceptical here. The code for drops is clunky as fuck. Just the other day I lost a Major because he dropped unconscious in the same square as another unconscious soldier. POOF. Only 1 enemy left, plenty of time to carry him to the extraction point, but no

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Weapons are built individually and not as squad upgrade

not_sure_if_want.jpg
I'm not sure. Squad wide upgrades is very dumb in vanilla x2 because you probably only use one of each soldier type anyway. However, in lw it might have merit, and it would certainly reduce the micromanagement required before each mission (unequip weapons of those not in squad, equip weapons, equip items, fiddle with it a bit, launch).

Oh well.

Also, the above post is why you don't play ironman and reload on glitches.

Excellent.

One thing I miss very much from the first game are proper mechs. God damn I loved using those, always rushed them ASAP. There were probably better ways to play the game, but I just loved rushing in with a high level mech (cover is for pussies), setting a whole enemy squad on fire and then picking them off while they were panicking. They were not indestructible at all, but they felt powerful and their special weapons were awesome. The new robots just don't have that for me, they feel wimpy somehow. Fuck robots, you want mechs you cut of your soldier's arms and legs. But I doubt they will change that in LW2.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Nigga if you don't want to reload, don't reload. I hate getting fucked by bugs (especially in a game like xcom2 where it's a fairly permanent disadvantage), so I don't play ironman.

If you play ironman and get fucked by bugs, in a game where it is obvious there will be bugs and glitches, you have no right to complain.

Mazisky

Magister
Excellent.

One thing I miss very much from the first game are proper mechs. God damn I loved using those, always rushed them ASAP. There were probably better ways to play the game, but I just loved rushing in with a high level mech (cover is for pussies), setting a whole enemy squad on fire and then picking them off while they were panicking. They were not indestructible at all, but they felt powerful and their special weapons were awesome. The new robots just don't have that for me, they feel wimpy somehow. Fuck robots, you want mechs you cut of your soldier's arms and legs. But I doubt they will change that in LW2.

It's funny how at EW release, everyone complained about the weirdness of needing to slaughter soldiers in order to get a MEC and everyone was like "wtf is this?" "why not simply robot? why i have to cut soldiers limbs?"

and years after, at X2 dlc release everyone the opposite "wtf? full robots???" "I miss MEC, why no hybrid human-robot like EW?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom