Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
but how there is a bigger mission variety in EW?
Kill everything, kill everything in downed/landed UFO, VIP, bomb, terror mission. Add to that Newfunland, the happy troll boy mission from EW.

+story missions, but that is varied in both games.
Council missions are varied and Exalt has 2-3 different missions. Also exalt main base. Also the Battleship council missions and Provost (or how it is called), which is super memorable if it comes early.
Count it, it has more missions than Xcom 2, way more.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
XCOM2 has landed ufo, base defense (multiple), protect gizmo, destroy gizmo, hack gizmo, killem all (supply run), blow facility up, extract VIP, kill/kidnap VIP.

IT is a bit less, indeed. Bu tadd to that the magical and most important fact of it all - procedural maps. Apart from first month (in which maps are small and there are certain setpieces you are to encounter, I guess by design) this is a huge difference, because despite of limited number of mission goals you still need to be on your toes far more than on another memorized map.

ArchAngel

Arcane
XCOM2 has landed ufo, base defense (multiple), protect gizmo, destroy gizmo, hack gizmo, killem all (supply run), blow facility up, extract VIP, kill/kidnap VIP.

IT is a bit less, indeed. Bu tadd to that the magical and most important fact of it all - procedural maps. Apart from first month (in which maps are small and there are certain setpieces you are to encounter, I guess by design) this is a huge difference, because despite of limited number of mission goals you still need to be on your toes far more than on another memorized map.
Landed UFO is super rare, people get it at most once per playthrough and it is only a small one. Base defense is nice but not nicer than Xcom EW one.
Gizmo stuff are basically same missions as they play same, you start at opposite edge of map, you have always concealment and always 8 turns (well defend gizmo not but usually even less due to aliens shooting at it).
Supply run is different as it has no same timers and goal is not always on other side of map. Blow facility up is a bit different , except all facility runs play the same (and facility is basically the same on each map).
VIP missions are all same, concealment, 12 turns, extraction zone a bit further away from VIP. Only difference when you start with VIP and you have to get him to other side. But still, in Xcom EU/EW these missions felt different with enemies dropping from sky in addition to what is already there. Here all missions are set number of enemies that always patrol the same and barely any surprises happen or things to shake things up.
At least Exalt shook things up with 4 vs them missions and different mission parameters (extra spy character).
And each different size UFO was pretty different experience as the sheer numbers of possible aliens changed how you could approach it.

In Xcom2 even when there is more aliens on map, maps are bigger and you still get to fight them at same intervals. Very rarely it happens you need to fight two packs or more and usually that is because you decided to sneak around a bit too long before opening fire.

Mazisky

Magister
we will see after DLC's and Expansions how many more missions we'll get.

we already got 2 new missions this summer.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Item defense" missions in 2 are definitely inferior to those in EW. The whole thing with the encoder and the transmitter was cool. Not to mention that you could actually freaking get there before the aliens. In the new game it feels identical to every other mission - run like hell towards the objective and frantically shoot aliens before time is up. The only difference is that the timer takes a different form.

It was certainly easy in EW to take up positions and set overwatch traps on this mission type ... but that is fun once in a while. Would have been nice to have something similar here to shake things up a bit more.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Ready for the final mission in my IM pt. Really liked the game, more than eu/ew actually. No matter the outcome of my final mission i will definitely play again, on legend. Probably when the game is bugfixed and balanced a bit more, and hopefully with some mods from the LW guys. Maybe try a 6 man psiop squad in the meantime, seeing my lone psiop is already a walking death machine, 6 of them would be op off the charts.

Oh btw i did get shot down by an ufo in this pt. The defense proved to be difficult but nice to get promotions on lots of soldiers.

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter
I got base defense mission and it took me only 30 turns to destroy the emitter and get everyone back killing 24 enemies while more and more were dropping from the sky. That shit was intense as I didn't knew about OP Phantom Ranger +Squadsight Sharpshooter tactic. At one point I was dashing and hunkering down, watching as one of my favourite soldiers panicked and could run away from Avenger's platform to flanked spot or noticing that one of my snipers wouldn't make it in single turn forcing everyone to fend off ADVENT lancers, officers and advanced troopers or how one of my guys had to run across half the map to evac zone while some pesky ADVENT tropper was overwatching him.

So no, EW base defense was boring as I already had titan armors, gene mods and other overpowered sheningans while Bradford was sending me rookies with no fucking equipment to fight Mutons while he was broadcasting from shitter.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
169759e5c4a83147cf9c61bfa887d956.png

6afe283e6e82d10bfe7dc30d5f66e1a3.png

Mex Com

Last edited:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Ready for the final mission in my IM pt. Really liked the game, more than eu/ew actually. No matter the outcome of my final mission i will definitely play again, on legend. Probably when the game is bugfixed and balanced a bit more, and hopefully with some mods from the LW guys. Maybe try a 6 man psiop squad in the meantime, seeing my lone psiop is already a walking death machine, 6 of them would be op off the charts.

Oh btw i did get shot down by an ufo in this pt. The defense proved to be difficult but nice to get promotions on lots of soldiers.

And..victory. The final part glitched out graphically, with seizure inducing flashing galore. Changing all gfx settings to low or off, exiting the game and restarting fixed that, fortunately no corruption on my IM save. However, now i couldnt use grenades or mimic beacons...for some reason the target indicator wouldnt appear.

So,without grenades and beacons, this was going to be tough. The last moves were tense, with 2 dead and the rest severely wounded my psiop received a killing blow but managed to stay alive thanks to one of his skills which keeps him alive for 1 turn. He healed himself with soulfire, which converts damage to life. Next, inspire on a squad member with line of sight on the latest teleport position of the last avatar, 55% for a killshot..that was a pretty tense moment.

All in all, a nice end for this pt, although unnecessarily difficult due to glitches.

Disgruntled

Savant
This legend run is something else. Advent is hellbent on bringing down my sharpshooters, the class I hardly used in my commander campaign. After having that painful loss of the first one, 3 more high rank sniper/slingers have been killed in action. 2 of whom were successor replacements bought from HQ.

The AI is straightforward on most turns but it can really punish you for leaving an opening like i did last night. Had a muton behind a barrier, 2 sectoids set up in a building and a codex from the right flank.
Muton uses suppression on my frontline ranger, my sniper misses his shot on the muton so the ranger is forced to hunker down, everyone else is disarmed by the codex skill.
Codex teleports past the other guys and kills my sniper who was on highground with no cover. Nothing hits my ranger but a sectoid manages to panic him so he's stuck doing nothing. Gunslinger is critted by the muton and finished off by the codex. Eventually the 3 remaining guys mop up but the damage has been done.

That really wiped the smile of my face having got a rhythm going earlier. Playing just a little risky against an innocuous group of enemies and it got 2 favorites killed. The positive was seeing the AI do something smart by controlling the major threats and taking the shots on the weakened flank.

Side note: Leaving a burning trooper on 2 hp will always result in him only losing one hp next turn allowing him to crit your best soldier for 7 damage.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jesus, was there another hot"fix"? My frames are tanking all of a sudden. Combat missions are fine but I have like 10 FPS on the Avenger. It used to be noticeable but this is unplayable.

Ivan

Arcane
E489B8D9F16199FFC4C837C8111D70833048D014

not that hard. same tactics as on Veteran except you really MUSTN'T aggro more than 1 pod at a time.
will wait for expansion or patch for Impossible

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Infuriating. Just going through the last mission and the game bugs out on me.

The last enemy avater mindcontrols one of my guys. My avater fires a rift at the enemy avater. Cue the usual hit which is at the end of the alien turn followed by the massive usual explosion. Enemy avater not to be seen. Mindcontrol of my guy stays but without the line to show where it is from. After two turns the mindcontrol stops. Not knowing what to do I go on for about 8 turns. Hold my own against the reinforcements but can't find the enemy avater. Say fuck it and spend a turn running all my guys to each corner of the map. Enemy avater is simply gone. Making the mission impossible to win. WTF.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
Yes that last mission is a glitch fest. I was able to finish it but couldnt use grenades or beacons (and didnt get an achievement for that feat).

For firaxis to claim they were unaware of the (somewhat buggy, unoptimized) state it was in when launching is pretty idiotic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom