Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xbox Allegedly Wants to Speed Up Fallout 5 Launch

Gargaune

Arcane
InXile is too small and Obsidian have their hands full with TOW2 and Avaporware.
Yeah, inXile are smaller and they've already got Clockwork Revolution (?) and Wasteland, but Obsidian's Avoid will be out this year (and probably bomb), following which that staff can be moved to another New Vegas-style 18-month Fallout spinoff on the Fallout 4 engine. In fact, I wouldn't surprised if Microsoft's giving The Otter Worlds 2 the stink eye right now - like why are we bankrolling not-Fallout instead of riding those Amazon coattails with a "real" Fallout? I don't think they'll shitcan it, but I wouldn't rule it out. If you think about it, between Wasteland, Fallout and The Other Worlds, Microsoft are sitting on a bunch of IP's with a lot of points of commonality.

Then again, they could just balloon Bethesda's headcount even more and give them that "18-month spinoff" deal. We all know rapid staff growth is disastrous, but that train's already left the station. They could give 'em even less, since they're presumably familiar with the engine... Right?

Riiight?!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Because rushing a game has always worked.
Imagine being so butthurt that people love what some other developers who no longer own the license of the thing you own more than what you've done with it to the point where you get together with Amazon in order to retcon and rape their work, while thrusting yours in to the spotlight... And then your plan works so well that the company that owns you takes that license away from you and gives it to someone else to get a game out quicker.

I doubt this will happen, but I'd fucking love it if it did.

Hellraiser

Arcane
You're all thinking it will go to Obshitian or inXel but the reality is they're just going to have a go to acti-blizz spare/support studio such as Blizzard Albany (formerly Vicarious Visions) or similar to do it instead since only those are available on short notice. Also odds are it will be some spinoff like Fallout: POS 2, or a battle royale or whatever the fuck is the FOTM popular genre is nowadays.

Although I do have to admit they could also have one of the supposedly "full" studios just have some designers boss some support studio like Blizz Albany etc. making them churn out assets and do other dirty work with mutilating the raepbaby that is bethesda's shitty engine, while somebody experienced handles the RPG side which the support studio knows fuck all about. But considering how the geniuses in MS are running the show I am not expecting them to anything that might be mistaken for actual competence.

Insider Gaming claims the studio wishes to speed up the development of Fallout 5, citing Jez Corden, who said that the company "is aware" of the series' popularity. It looks like a sound plan to keep the attention on the franchise while the novelty and excitement of the show haven't evaporated.
"plan"

giphy.gif

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
It's too late now. By the time a Fallout 5 would be ready to ship the show will have had another season or two and possibly even cancelled.
We're going to go through the entire cycle of "Fallout show succeeded because DEI, it's not FOR YOU" then "Why won't you racists watch Fallout??" then finally "Racist MAGA Chuds killed Fallout."

The game will release to literally no audience, much like new Star Wars products.

Devastator

Learned
Wow. Maybe there's a chance of Fallout 5 being good.

It will be the best Fallout.

they should just turn 76 into the default platform for all fallout content

This guy gets it.
  1. Rebrand 76 with tasteless content & add a recycled SP campaign ('the platform').
  2. Flood with pay-to-win microtransactions and loot boxes.
  3. Release buggy, glitch-filled game.
  4. Profit
  5. Deceptively market false promises to exploit fandom's loyalty.
  6. Introduce 'cuck quests' within the game, promising players huge returns on their in-game currency if they recruit friends to play.
  7. Offer rare in-game items, but only to cucks who recruit others.
  8. Profit.
  9. Release DLC 1, 2 & 3 with recycled content & fancy names.
  10. Profit.
  11. Release GOTY.
  12. Profit.
  13. Introduce a virtual real estate market. Promise huge returns, but secretly manipulate the market to boost losses.
  14. Profit.
  15. Issue a public apology and cry live on YouTube.
  16. Release a patch to fix some of the issues & flood the in-game shop with overpriced garbage.
  17. SWIM IN MONEY AND RETIRE.
With the TV show running in parallel, they can't fail. They should just spend only a year on steps 1-3 and YOLO it. Release the game in time for Season 2. Then spend a few more years on the remaining steps with a skeleton crew, "fixing" the "game" & milking the community.

Last edited:

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
MS being shortsighted as always. Should have put Fargo and inXile on a 3D overhead spinoff over a year ago.
If they wanted to have something for the release of tv series, then more like 2-3 years ago.

MS purchased iniXile in 2018. Amazon purchased rights to Fallout tv series in 2020. MS should have given the assignment to either Obsidian or iniXile back then - it was already obvious that Bethesda was busy with Starfield and unable to deliver anything Fallouty.

Even if MS makes some decisions now there will be 3-4 years before we see a final product. Even if the chosen studio works on Starfield engine, which is already quite obsolete.
I doubt any of them expected the show to be remotely as popular as it was.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, i hope they do it.

BTW, apparently AMD decided to have an issue with their drivers where Fallout 3 and New Vegas don't work anymore, just in time to catch the influx of new players from the latest sale. If you check the steam forums it's a clusterfuck of people complaining about crashes, characters having no hairs etc lmao. Nice job, AMD.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I don't care what happens unless it makes Todd butthurt, then it has my full support.

It makes 10000% sense that one of the most famous personalities in gaming is not a coder, artist or writer, but a glorified middle manager.

Says everything about the industry that it should. Burn it all down.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Lmao, i hope they do it.

BTW, apparently AMD decided to have an issue with their drivers where Fallout 3 and New Vegas don't work anymore, just in time to catch the influx of new players from the latest sale. If you check the steam forums it's a clusterfuck of people complaining about crashes, characters having no hairs etc lmao. Nice job, AMD.
May just be the gog version of the game

Vulpes

Scholar
The only thing they could possibly develop in such a short time is another goddamn mobile game :negative:

You're all thinking it will go to Obshitian or inXel but the reality is they're just going to have a go to acti-blizz spare/support studio such as Blizzard Albany (formerly Vicarious Visions) or similar to do it instead since only those are available on short notice. Also odds are it will be some spinoff like Fallout: POS 2, or a battle royale or whatever the fuck is the FOTM popular genre is nowadays.

Although I do have to admit they could also have one of the supposedly "full" studios just have some designers boss some support studio like Blizz Albany etc. making them churn out assets and do other dirty work with mutilating the raepbaby that is bethesda's shitty engine, while somebody experienced handles the RPG side which the support studio knows fuck all about. But considering how the geniuses in MS are running the show I am not expecting them to anything that might be mistaken for actual competence.

And then it turns out that some burned out support studio dev lead will play old games to understand what they are about, finds a new love of live that rekindles his love for gaming and makes a better game that Bethesda or even Obsidian would ever be able to. Extra slim chances, but one can dream.

Old Hans

Arcane
And then it turns out that some burned out support studio dev lead will play old games to understand what they are about, finds a new love of live that rekindles his love for gaming and makes a better game that Bethesda or even Obsidian would ever be able to. Extra slim chances, but one can dream.
this is like a plot to a movie. We can get Tom Cruise on board to play the disillusioned developer who discovers some old rpgs from the 1980's and then he talks Ubisoft into making a wizardry 1 clone

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Well, Microsoft have great portfolio of awesome studios, they shouldn't limit themselves to Obsidian, inXile or Bethesda. There's Turn 10 studios so Forza Motorsport in Wasteland, Blizzard could add some charm from Diablo 4 like adding payable classes or Treyarch with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Never Changes. They should branch out and harvest the profits, just imagine the possibilities.

I bet Id Software could make better shooter on corpse of Fallout 4 than Todd. At least with better graphics and performance. I would at least try it.

Well, Microsoft have great portfolio of awesome studios, they shouldn't limit themselves to Obsidian, inXile or Bethesda. There's Turn 10 studios so Forza Motorsport in Wasteland, Blizzard could add some charm from Diablo 4 like adding payable classes or Treyarch with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Never Changes. They should branch out and harvest the profits, just imagine the possibilities.

I bet Id Software could make better shooter on corpse of Fallout 4 than Todd. At least with better graphics and performance. I would at least try it.
I have always questioned why Bethesda keeps using their glitchy and shit engines instead of dialing Id Software and asking them for their engines. Have you seen the games that run on those engines? Then again, Bethesda has never had 17th dimensional alien singularity and game developer John Carmack.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I have always questioned why Bethesda keeps using their glitchy and shit engines instead of dialing Id Software and asking them for their engines. Have you seen the games that run on those engines? Then again, Bethesda has never had 17th dimensional alien singularity and game developer John Carmack.
Because Bethesda devs can do only Gamebryo.

Gargaune

Arcane
id Software consulted for Bethesda on the shooter gameplay in Fallout 4.

I have always questioned why Bethesda keeps using their glitchy and shit engines instead of dialing Id Software and asking them for their engines.
Because that "glitchy and shit" engine was very familiar to the devs and better tailored than most to deliver what Bethesda used to deliver - large, hand-crafted open worlds with high object affordances and persistence. Moving to another platform would require massive investment in compensating for lost expertise and redeveloping requisite functionality, plus there would be no more "mods will fix it."

At least that used to be the case. After Starfield, who knows what the fuck anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom