Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview X05 Oblivion hands-on at IGN and GameSpot

Hazelnut

Erudite
The Thing is one of the best gory movies of all time - for me at least. I love it. :D

(do note that this memory is at least a decade old - it's gotta be that long since i've seen it, so I guess I'm saying is I used to like it...)

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
So, if I got it correctly - the whole NPC RadiantAI scene was scripted? Geee, thats the best demonstration of RAI possibilities! Scripted scene!

C'mon, I do understand its not supposed to be so, but it does sound really stupid. If this is true demonstration of RadiantAI possibilities, it means, she'd set fire to the dog time to time, practice ranged combat in her room and so on. Than this gives questions about sanity of RAI. It would be fun, nevertheless.
On the other hand, if this all was +/-scripted what was it supposed to demonstrate? Where ends the script and starts RAI? No, seriously, this all got me confused.

HardCode

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
Visbhume said:
The "competing adventurers" thing sounds pretty nifty.

And before I am accused of hyping the game: I wouldn't expect too much from that. Most likely its limite to some guys roaming a dungeon with AI set to "find and collect all valuables". That would still be interesting, though.

And when he gets there a day before you and takes the item away, so it becomes a homing device for your compass.

Compass: "Alert, Alert! Quest item heading South down I-95!"

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Yeah, The Thing rocks.

As far as the bookseller sequence. No, the entire thing was not scripted -- not in the sense that it represents a designer typing in hundreds of lines of script code. In the sense that it's a sequence of events that happen in a particular order, you might consider it scripted, but the way you set up those events, and how the actors accomplish them, is not scripted.

For example, the target practice. All she's told to start practicing (basically) is "fire a certain number of arrows at this target from this location." That's it. There's a bow in the room, so she automatically goes to get it first. There's also a quiver in the room, so she goes to get that. She then equips the items, walks over to the firing point, and shoots a few arrows. The arrows miss the target not because she has been scripted to shoot at points away from the target, but because her marksman skill is low.

That's the difference. She's given a basic goal, and figures out how to accomplish it based on what she has available to her and her stats.

The sequence is a set of examples of the kinds of things you can do with RAI -- including grouping a sequence of AI packages together to produce a tight, deterministic sequence of events.

Drakron

Arcane
Ok so the NPC setting the dog fire was intended or not?

Because god knows if you keep that up I am going to Iraq to dig up WMD ...

Twinfalls

Erudite
MSFD, that does sound very cool. But what we keep banging on about is the extent to which those possibilities are exploited in the eventual game design. How much unexpected stuff will actually happen in the final game, and will the unexpected stuff have much of an impact on how you play?....

Section8

Cipher
The Thing is a great movie. I'm a sucker for the whole "distrust in an isolated, hostile environment" theme. My dream game would be an RPG using very similar themes.

As far as the Radiant AI/Bookseller/Dog on Fire/etc goes, it's a great way to show off, but it's an exceptional circumstance, so it kind of fails at illustrating more typical uses of the system. I'm more interested by the notion of:

What would happen if everything wasn't set up according to specifics? Would she decide not to practice, if there was no bow? Would she go and buy a bow? Would she ask the player to get her one? Would she practice something else instead? Would she decide that once she's skilled enough with a bow, she no longer needs to buy deer meat, she can go out and get it herself? etc. (all purely rhetorical, of course)

That's where I see the strength of Radiant AI, is in the emergent behaviours rather than simpler explicit scripts.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Section8 said:
The Thing is a great movie.
I'm just piping in to say that The Thing is excellent as well. Back in the days when Carpenter could actually make good movies. Awesome.
I think I was about 11 or 12 when I first saw it and it scared the bejeezus outta me. Still a scary movie too.

Err...okay...back to the RPG stuff...

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
I've been meaning to see the original Thing that Howard Hawks worked on. (by the way, It: The Terror From Beyond Space that inspired Alien, is pretty lame). The only other movies I can think of off the top of my head that I plan on seeing at some point are A Touch of Evil and Stalker (based on a short story (also like the Thing) and inspiration for the game).

RGE

Liturgist
Avin said:
how many dogs has bethesda burned to get that effect right?
It's a trick question, because they didn't get the effect right. Not in that movie anyway. The flames look more like a cloud of heat, and that just looks boring. Kind of like the firewalls and incinerating clouds in Neverwinter Nights, which are quite some eyesores.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom