Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
4.0 and Home of light out on GOG
Have the devs managed to make something decent out of this trainwreck? Because the base game was one of the biggest pile of shit in gaming history.
Edgy. Game is amazing. Had a rough start, useless shmucks like you wer foaming at the mouth about stupid stuff, but the game is patched and well worth it now. But back to Call of duty for you.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
AFAIK this is more a freelancer type game and not on masochists level of previous x'ses, some fanbois don't like that.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Edgy. Game is amazing. Had a rough start, useless shmucks like you wer foaming at the mouth about stupid stuff, but the game is patched and well worth it now. But back to Call of duty for you.

I'm starting to genuinely respect the RPG Codex staff's judgment lately, because very often when I read something as blatantly stupid as you just wrote, I can look over and see that, sure enough, there's a well-deserved
possibly_retarded.png

tag or similar.

If you want true edginess, I like to call this for-consoles abortion X: Stillbirth. Only a complete tool would consider the removal of features like the ability to pilot a wide range of ship classes and models and to command multiple fleets comprised of same to be just a minor point of contention, and that's far from the only one.

Does it have a decent story campaign?

:lol:

No, EGOSOFT's "campaigns" are infamously terrible.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
4.0 and Home of light out on GOG
Have the devs managed to make something decent out of this trainwreck? Because the base game was one of the biggest pile of shit in gaming history.
There was nothing edgy in that. What's wrong with you? The game didn't have a rough start. Releasing the game like that is not "rough start". It was awful. I know because I played in the first days. And here I was just asking if they managed to salvage it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Yeah I'm also interested in knowing if this game's already decent enough or if nothing can save it. I haven't touched the initial state either though, I just always heard it's alwul so I never even approached it. Any opinions?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
some people reviews from steam for HoL, currently ALL are positive

This is an insane amount of content for 8 dollars (currently on sale). The 4.0 patch also fixes pretty much everything that was ever wrong with X Rebirth. If it was to release today I'd expect it to get around a 90% positive score.

First of all - NO, you don't get to fly different ships. If you keep nagging about that, just skip X:R and move along without constant whining on the forums.

Now, this DLC adds so much stuff to the core game that it's ridiculous. It expands the explorable space by another 3 sectors that have lots of zones to explore (that's an extra 60% of total current sectors). From a highly populated sector with bursting economy, a huge sector just made for mining, all the way to the misterious Toride sector which is a home to all kinds of stuff you can shoot at - Xenon and the Kha'ak!

If it was just me - I'd gladly pay the full price of the DLC for Toride alone!

Performance is solid with no random hickups, I haven't seen a single bug or a crash yet, and the new zones are a thrill to explore. You get to capture Xenon ships now (small and medium ones only), and enter wormholes that will take you to random spots in the sector.

Regardless of the DLC, all previous owners of the core game get a big 4.0 patch for free which introduces the new mission board, a lot of improvements and quality of life fixes.

If you were waiting to give X:R another chance - now's the time :)

Now with this DLC, this game is becoming a materpiece.
...it is so, that exploring the nebular purple clouds of frozen dust, we reach the Orion constellations... and so, we hunt down the draconian AI fleet and their reptilian minions who hide around every corner, among asteroid fields and planetary remains from ancient wars.

This DLC is great. It adds three new systems, which almost doubles the amount of systems of the game (Teladi Outpost not included), and adds fun new toys to play around with, like the new weapons (which i really like) and the new Warehouse station (great help for supplying your own stations).

The new systems are really nice and atmospheric and offer many different styles of gameplay. One system is made for mining operations, one is a great system for trading and building and one is a huge one-sector system with many zones to explore and new enemies to fight (i won't spoil it here).

While X:rebirth was absolutely broken and horrible on release day 1.5 years ago now it's a great game, thanks to all the free updates and the DLCs make it even better and more immersive.
If you like X:Rebirth then this DLC is definitely worth the price.

All in all this expansion is a great edition and greatly expands what was a Universe with a lack of Systems to explore and a lack of oppertuinity.
Paired with the massive changes of 4.0 to ships that flee danger, better command options and the SETA and Jumpdrive reintroduced, this is a welcome edition and can only hope they improve on it a little more before they move on to X:R 2.
Improve on NPC's with more voice packs and lore friendly additions to stations, don't go copy and paste mad, it dulls the quality of the game, we want a living breathing universe and you've semi-kept your promise. A mammoth task i'm happy to say you've made a great step forward here.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
What stands out in Rebirth compared to other space sims of the day? It has incredibly deep gameplay in an incredibly beautiful and dynamic universe. There is a satisfying early, mid and late game as you gradually build up an empire of ships and stations and dominate interstellar markets with your own assembly lines and your fleet of trade-ships. You will always be up to something in Rebirth, whether thats scouting out potential bargains for your tradeships to supervising the construction of your first station or commanding your personal battlefleet into a war against one of the major factions. You can even be a pirate and steal wares and ships from any of the factions in the game.

Every Star system in Rebirth is very unique, offering its own visual style, ship and station types (mostly), story and culture. Where other space-sim games like to go the procedural generation route, Rebirth offers a beautifully handcrafted galaxy that on the most part seems authentic.

Rebirth still has its fair share of issues, the command system when dealing with NPCs can be frustrating at times and fleet commands still aren't that great, though it has improved substantially with adding basic commands that are necessary. NPCs are still stiff and bland and don't match the visual style of the outer galaxy, this was an issue with previous X games as well but its more jarring here as you are forced to interact with these NPCs more.

Overall, if you like base-building, economic games, space-sim games, i'd definitely recommend X:Rebirth. With the Home of Light DLC coming out in the next few days which adds 3 new star systems (There are currently 6 systems pre-HoL ) it may be a good time to pick it up and give it a go.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I gave it a go for the first time, started the campaign and it definitely feels and plays like freelancer and not like previous x games which were too masochistic for me. Enjoying it so far, the music is nice, the graphics are gorgeous, the gameplay feels smooth.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The reviews for HoL are all positive because HoL is DLC for a failed game no one cares about, save a few dregs with bad taste. These fans (most bad games have their little cadre of supporters) are the ones writing all of the reviews. If you shills don't realize that, you're either stupid, or are deliberately being obtuse.

Also: Freelancer was shallow, casual, mouse-centric garbage. People who like Freelancer and swear by it are all a bunch of tools who are ignorant of better games that came both before and after. It deserves no place among history's great space sims. Comparing Stillbirth to Freelancer isn't a ringing endorsement.

The myriad of issues discussed in detail over the course of the previous 35 pages have not been fixed by adding more content. Many are hardcoded and/or a direct result of EGOSOFT's design decisions stemming from their (abandoned) desire to cash in on console bux. The smoking gun:

8H5fsDy.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's not my screenshot, and the vestigial XBox 360 code has been confirmed many times over. That's just one easy-to-locate screenshot.

There's nothing to "not listen to," you dumb shill. No wonder you enjoy Freelancer and Stillbirth. You're as dense as a box of rocks.

It doesn't matter to me though, because the franchise is dead in the water and even with Stillbirth's few fans shilling as hard as they possibly can across the Internet, they'll only convince a comparatively tiny handful of suckers to buy this crap.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
xbox360 code but the game was never released on consoles, what a great logic you have there.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
xbox360 code but the game was never released on consoles, what a great logic you have there.

Yes, because they abandoned their plans to release the game on consoles, as I explicitly stated. Nevertheless, much of the initial planning, the game's basic framework, and early development were done with consoles in mind, and it shows.

Folks, this is the guy who's recommending Stillbirth to you. Mull over that and his love of Bethesda console RPGs before shelling out.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Folks, this is the guy who's recommending Stillbirth to you. Mull over that and his love of Bethesda console RPGs before shelling out.

Yes buy Stillbirth and Shellout 4! they are 2nd coming of jessus !

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The reviews for HoL are all positive because HoL is DLC for a failed game no one cares about, save a few dregs with bad taste.

Steam statistics seem to support this:

X Rebirth

playing 29 min ago

24-hour peak

all-time peak

Note that this is 1 day after a free update. And no, not 99 % of the people are playing the non-steam .exe version.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Blaine is the prime example of a broken record on constant repeat.

To repeat myself:

X Rebirth is not an X Game.

You aren't even beating a dead horse anymore, you are throwing your stick like a spastic against the dirt that has been horse bones turned to dust ages ago.
Nobody is arguing about this being not X4.
People iTT however are asking whether its a game with which you can have fun and your ramblings are absolutely useless in this regard.

X Rebirth is, (now) a decent Space Game.

If you want to play a space game and don't want to stick to X3-LU, this is basically about the only viable option you have.

Elite is boring as hell outside of Arena, Vega Strike has been a early beta way to long and Scam Citizen is Scam Citizen.

Steam statistics seem to support this:

X Rebirth

playing 29 min ago

24-hour peak

all-time peak

Note that this is 1 day after a free update. And no, not 99 % of the people are playing the non-steam .exe version.

Statistics without data to put them into perspective are quite often useless.

The X Games have always been a niche market.
Albion Prelude has an alltime peak of 18xx Players, Terran Conflict sits at 10xx.

So, going by this numbers, you could argue that all X Games ever have been total shit.
Or you could stop showing off your eternal butthurt like Blaine does, and face the fact that the game in its current state is doing the exact same thing as the older installments, pandering to a small dedicated Userbase.
The new and old one do not overlap completely, but this is due to three main reasons:
A) rebirth at its release was a huge piling piece of shit and stayed this way until around the time of the Teladi Outpost DLC.
B) Rebirth is not the same type of game as most of the series, which massively triggers sperglords who can't fathom that there are multiple ways of creating something enjoyable
C) Old X-ers wanted a very specific game experience, for which flying multiple different ships is a huge factor (i'd put myself in this category, the Skunk doesn't fit my style of flying which was always satisfied best with Split or Paranid Ships).

Funnily enough, Rebirth is really close to the original game that fathered the whole franchise, X - Beyond the Frontier. That one also put you into a single Ship for your whole career.

Trojan_generic

Magister

Albion Prelude has an alltime peak of 18xx Players, Terran Conflict sits at 10xx.

So, going by this numbers, you could argue that all X Games ever have been total shit.
Or you could stop showing off your eternal butthurt like Blaine does, and face the fact that the game in its current state is doing the exact same thing as the older installments, pandering to a small dedicated Userbase.

Eternal butthurt FTW! I never bought/played this game, so I have not been intimately touched by this affair though. For your AP/TC statistics, I still am convinced that the user base is far smaller nowadays than before; Albion Prelude was the first game in the series that was distributed via Steam at all at the moment of release. When I bought X2 long time ago, some time after release, there were already like 200,000 registered users on Egosoft forums.

What is puzzling is that the devs/Bernd did not give up on this; because if money or number of copies sold is all that matters, they should have disappeared and started perhaps working on another game in a similar way to the gypsies who made Silent Hunter 5. If it does not matter so much, why do they insist that "you are all wrong, our game is good, just wait for a couple of years more!".

Also, if we presume that the majority of the old X fans don't play this, you cannot replace a user base just like that with new fans... or can you? With sufficient hype?

Sometimes I wonder if the whole Egosoft runs on money wasted by the European Space Agency or something.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Eternal butthurt FTW! I never bought/played this game, so I have not been intimately touched by this affair though. For your AP/TC statistics, I still am convinced that the user base is far smaller nowadays than before; Albion Prelude was the first game in the series that was distributed via Steam at all at the moment of release. When I bought X2 long time ago, some time after release, there were already like 200,000 registered users on Egosoft forums.

What is puzzling is that the devs/Bernd did not give up on this; because if money or number of copies sold is all that matters, they should have disappeared and started perhaps working on another game in a similar way to the gypsies who made Silent Hunter 5. If it does not matter so much, why do they insist that "you are all wrong, our game is good, just wait for a couple of years more!".

Also, if we presume that the majority of the old X fans don't play this, you cannot replace a user base just like that with new fans... or can you? With sufficient hype?

Sometimes I wonder if the whole Egosoft runs on money wasted by the European Space Agency or something.

The total Userbase might be smaller, but probably not that much.
Keep in mind that Albion Prelude was only accessible via Steam for a really long period of time, so the numbers on that one should be pretty solid.
You are right however, that all numbers for older games have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Regarding the "not giving up":
Tight relations with the community.
I'm pretty sure Bernd knows by now that he screwed up majorly with this, but in all honesty, he is the CEO.
He has to save face, admitting it openly would be economic suicide, especially since the press would jump on that, while still ignoring all progress to the game that was made.
The company itself knows they have to do a lot better and seeing that they confirmed the next installment to be more akin to the older games, the effort they are doing now is understandable.

IF they release a real X4, most of the old fanbase would probably come back, because they have absolutely no alternative for this kind of gameplay.
By feeding the crow that has fun with Rebirth ATM and slowly turning them into people that can work with a more complex game, they might increase the playerbase of X4 quite a bit.
Or at least thats what i suspect is their reasoning.

Could work out quite well. The Rebirth forum has a decent mix of newer users and oldfags (2002-2006) atm.

How this company finances itself has always been a mystery for me, tbh, even in the times of the old games.

Trojan_generic

Magister
The total Userbase might be smaller, but probably not that much.
Keep in mind that Albion Prelude was only accessible via Steam for a really long period of time, so the numbers on that one should be pretty solid.
You are right however, that all numbers for older games have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Regarding the "not giving up":
Tight relations with the community.
I'm pretty sure Bernd knows by now that he screwed up majorly with this, but in all honesty, he is the CEO.
He has to save face, admitting it openly would be economic suicide, especially since the press would jump on that, while still ignoring all progress to the game that was made.
The company itself knows they have to do a lot better and seeing that they confirmed the next installment to be more akin to the older games, the effort they are doing now is understandable.

IF they release a real X4, most of the old fanbase would probably come back, because they have absolutely no alternative for this kind of gameplay.
By feeding the crow that has fun with Rebirth ATM and slowly turning them into people that can work with a more complex game, they might increase the playerbase of X4 quite a bit.
Or at least thats what i suspect is their reasoning.

Could work out quite well. The Rebirth forum has a decent mix of newer users and oldfags (2002-2006) atm.

How this company finances itself has always been a mystery for me, tbh, even in the times of the old games.

IIRC the original AP only needed to be activated by Steam but you did not need to have Steam running to play it, or at least Egosoft was very vocal about the availability of the non-steam exe. This was actually why I made a Steam account in the first place.

Concerning gradually adding complexity: the new X-COM series sounds a bit like the same, although I haven't played the newest one yet. Great business model: produce the same game every 20 years. And it works.

A real X4 is probably in the works, but as we know, it takes ages for Egosoft to make anything new, even if there is nothing really new except visual changes. Also, X3:TC was X3 with mods. X3 was X2 with mods. In the newsletters, I read one diary where the guy (Xenon_Slayer IIRC) was just testing something, writing on forums and playing ping pong all his working days (= afternoons).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

Squawking about Stillbirth not being an X game (although EGOSOFT, creators and developers of the X series, called it an X game and billed it as one, too) is essentially a red herring. Even when the title is disregarded and the software is judged objectively from the viewpoint of someone who's never played an X game, as was the case with most of the Steam reviews of its initial release, it's still a shitty game, period—as an X game, as a space game, and as a plain old game game.

If you want to play a space game and don't want to stick to X3-LU, this is basically about the only viable option you have.

If you've reached that point and don't like ED or FreeSpace 2 with mods and texture packs, realistically you should just give up trying to play a space game and play different games instead.

My point was that the new DLC is being reviewed by people who are already Stillbirth fans, which is true. They are incredibly biased, and HoL in no way salvages Stillbirth from being an incredibly shitty game.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Squawking about Stillbirth not being an X game (although EGOSOFT, creators and developers of the X series, called it an X game and billed it as one, too) is essentially a red herring. Even when the title is disregarded and the software is judged objectively from the viewpoint of someone who's never played an X game, as was the case with most of the Steam reviews of its initial release, it's still a shitty game, period—as an X game, as a space game, and as a plain old game game.

Its an X-Game as in "it shares the same universe and some of the basic premises (fly around, trade, fight, build up an economy), but it is not an X4, as in "a spiritual succesor to X3" and it wasn't marketed as such.

About the only thing that Rebirth and the old games are now apart are
- The ability to fly multiple ships
- Crew personal you have (had) to hire on board of stations.
- Total sector size.

Most former mandatory on-station interactions are already not mandatory anymore and the small rest can be modded out.
So, either multi-ships and sector count is the sole defining factor for you to define a good space game.
Or you are just rambling around nonsense to avoid reevaluating your first impression at all cost.
Which would sorta be fitting.

If you've reached that point and don't like ED or FreeSpace 2 with mods and texture packs, realistically you should just give up trying to play a space game and play different games instead.

Eheheheh.
I'd rather play Darkstar One (and that was one retarded popamole game) instead of wasting time in anything outside of the Arenemode of ED.
"Eurotrucker in Space" is an insult to Eurotrucker, i have never ever encountered something which shoves so many hours of pure boringness into your face.

They are incredibly biased, and HoL in no way salvages Stillbirth from being an incredibly shitty game.

"Biased" is huge steaming pile of nonsense in the context of gaming preferences.
Your sentence basically boils down to "They are biased, because they don't share my opinion".
On which basis are you even arguing?
You haven't played HoL, same goes for TO, probably, so any talk from you about the lack of improvement is basically crystal-ball gazing.
Earlier, you said your Egosoft account is now something over a decade old (so you most likely registered around the time of X2), yet you talk about Egosoft like somebody who barely played the games.
Anybody with more than a minimum of time investment in the series should/would know that V1.0 of their games is always crap.
The Goldmaster of Terran Conflict was an unplayable bugfest, Albion Prelude was a lackluster sandbox without much plot and you basically tied if you only ever came near something that had missiles onboard.
A few patches later, the games turned into something fun.

Anyways, this discussion is really going nowhere.
You seem to have a peculiar taste that seems to be incompatible with the current X Game and most likely the older ones to, combined with a "never-admit-fault" attitude that makes arguing a waste of time.
I'd recommend everybody who is unsure whether its worth to buy to sort the steam reviews on the base game to show them chronologicaly and then read the negative ones while keeping the hours played by them in mind.
Or just try it out yourself, the Demo is supposedly updated to 4.0 RC1.

Perkel

Arcane

Because if you would play it on release date you would fucking know that they weren't able to release it on X360.

I have i5-3470 and HD7970 which is like 50 x360 ducttaped together and game chugged in 20 often at 10 frames in some sectors, crashed etc.
Now it is mostly bugfixed and patched but still underlying design decisions are what holding game back.

All design changes were made in correspondence to X360 release. PAD circle menu, big ui made for TVs, walking in stations (as console players loves that stuff where none of x players wanted this, especially in this form) and they doubled down on campaign instead of sandbox which again is something that should be in console release.

Rumor goes that they scrapped this ideas and now are making new game on same engine and this actually will be X4.

HOLY! FUCKING! SPACEFARING! SHIT!

reading and watching a video here and there had been enough to aknowledge this piece of shit as the piece of shit it is, but with this latest expansion and the patches and the additions and the modules and this and that and so on i braced myself and have it a firsthand try.
i could never, ever, *EVER* have guessed this game could be this absolutely, completely, totally HORRIBLE.

controls are terrible, interface is horrific, vital informations are hidden or extremely hard to reach and its rules and world are retarded. i found 12k credits in a locker (which i could loot right under a guard's eyes) and 400k (enough to feed a city for a lifetime) sitting in an air duct.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
It's still 50 euros on steam :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom