Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

Gord

Arcane
I would have also liked to see a physically more sensible flight model, but that's a relatively minor issue.

aron searle

Arcane
This might be a dumb question, but you did use SETA, right? I ask because when I first got the game I actually spent three hours playing before I realised I could speed up time.

Regardless, I agree. Ship speed should be improved enough that you shouldn't need to use SETA.

You cant use SETA in combat, manual control disables SETA.

SETA should be for travelling vast distances, not to travel through a few kilometers.

FFS some of the haulage ships had a max speed of 90km/s, that's a joke for a spaceship game.

the flight physics need an overhaul for me to show any interest in this.

Dogfighting is rubbish because of the slow speeds (though the AI couldn't handle anything else, and the weapons where designed around ridiculously slow ship speeds, I remember how plasma fire was so slow you could overtake it if you started shooting from a standstill).

I've played WW1 flight sims with bi-planes that had faster speeds than most of the ships on X.

I've been looking into this game since I always liked the concept, and it looks like they're looking at a 2013 release.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=306346

There's some info on the new mechanics. It looks like a completely different game at the moment. You don't control ships in the same way, and they implemented NPCs of ships and factories. I like the changes in theory, but I need to see how they're implemented.

Turjan

Arcane

Well, that announcement is from 2011. The developers said they will try their best to manage a 2013 release, so I wouldn't be to sure about this.

I'm not completely sold on the concept, either. I liked X3 very much, despite all of its shortcomings, so the concept of being stuck with one ship needs a bit persuading for me to embrace it. I guess we will see.
Yeah, I looked around. They're releasing something at some video game convention in late August. I'll probably get it as long as it doesn't look too shitty.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
FINALLY a release date. This was turning into X: Forever.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck...

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get your wish. Everything I've read seems to indicate it's going to be very streamlined. Going back to the roots, in this case, is not a good thing. Apparently you're only going to fly that one ship in this game. No more cruising through the universe in a huge-ass carrier or TL, setting up factories and swatting pirate fighters like insects against your hull. Day one purchase though. Day one pre-order in fact. I might have a teensy weensy case of X-addiction.

bonescraper

Apparently you're only going to fly that one ship in this game.
Bullshit.

You still can make a fleet and control other ships. But via drones. Your main ship has fully modeled interiors and its own crew. Other ships still don't even have cockpits, that's why they're "drone controlled" which i think is Egosoft's way to tell "they work like they did before".

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Bullshit.

You still can make a fleet and control other ships. But via drones. Your main ship has fully modeled interiors and its own crew. Other ships still don't even have cockpits, that's why they're "drone controlled" which i think is Egosoft's way to tell "they work like they did before".

So you do only fly the one ship. How is what I said "bullshit"?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get your wish. Everything I've read seems to indicate it's going to be very streamlined. Going back to the roots, in this case, is not a good thing. Apparently you're only going to fly that one ship in this game. No more cruising through the universe in a huge-ass carrier or TL, setting up factories and swatting pirate fighters like insects against your hull. Day one purchase though. Day one pre-order in fact. I might have a teensy weensy case of X-addiction.
No, please no. I don't hear you tralalalala. This must be good, it looks good, it hears good, it HAS TO be good.

But to be honest, in this day and age, when there isn't a good space sim on the market, even a streamlined one, X:Rebirth still looks good.

Bullshit.

Well you still fly the other ships, you are just not in the cockpit, but controlling them via drones.

bonescraper

Bullshit.

And its fucking drones. Which can be used to control every other ship in existence. Are you retarded or just dumb?

Guise, are we dealing here with a potential Star Citizen killer?
Star Citizen killed itself by being a MMO.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

No, please no. I don't hear you tralalalala. This must be good, it looks good, it hears good, it HAS TO be good.

But to be honest, in this day and age, when there isn't a good space sim on the market, even a streamlined one, X:Rebirth still looks good.

Bullshit.

Well you still fly the other ships, you are just not in the cockpit, but controlling them via drones.

In the old games you could remotely control other ships AND fly them directly. Well apart from the first one.

How will it work when you're droning something and a Xenon carrier group jumps your actual ship? Will you be given enough warning?

I agree though, even if it is dumbed down, it will be better than nothing. The X series would have to fuck up extremely bad for me to not like it. At least they FINALLY have planet surfaces that fans have been asking for since the first game.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
As I understand it, you can only fly your own ship and drones launched from it. You can't directly fly capital ships, only give them orders. Your crew will fly the main ship when you're controllig a drone.
You can dock your ship onto a capital ship so that it's protected while you command your fleet.

Flying freighters and capital ships in the other X games was never particularly enjoyable since they handled like slow and sluggish fighters rather than large ships, so the only cool thing that's really lost is the ability to fly different fighters. We'll see if drones and a more customizable main ship will make up for it.

After 3 X3 games I'm definitely in the mood for something different, so I'll give Rebirth a chance. It looks lovely, that's for sure.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Gamepad support? Xbone/PS4 port confirmed.

Whole game has been secretly designed for consoles from the ground up. Like Diablo 3. Or am I just cynical?

That's exactly what I meant by "dumbed down". If this is multiplatform, it's not a real X game.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Dumb down / streamline, whatever. The X games fucking needed it, they've been borderline unplayable shit pecking at the heels of a derek smart bowel movement for years now.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
How were they borderline unplayable? They've never been overly complicated. More complicated than the average space-sim, yes, but definitely far from unplayable for anyone with an IQ over 80.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Whole game has been secretly designed for consoles from the ground up. Like Diablo 3. Or am I just cynical?
Well any self respecting flight/space sim should have joystick and gamepad support. Everybody should feel ashamed if they played these games with mouse and keyboard (keyboard is OK for toggles and funcion keys but not for moveing the ship). This doesn't mean that it is dumbed down for console.

:Flash:

Arcane

At the moment it has been announced as a PC exclusive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom