Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Com - The Irrational Rumors Continue

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Update ]</strong>

<p>Last year, <a href="http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/bioshock.html" target="_blank" title="Bioshock">Bioshock</a> developers <a href="http://www.irrationalgames.com/" target="_blank" title="Irrational">Irrational</a> were <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13361&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">hoping to hire</a> folks to work on a well known gaming franchise.</p><blockquote><p>Off the back of winning game of the show at E3, we&rsquo;re looking for lots of talented people to join us in Australia. We&rsquo;re working on the sequel to one of the best loved PC franchises of all time. I think gamers are going to go nuts when they find out. So, why not come and talk to us about being part of it? </p></blockquote><p>Now <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/45797" target="_blank" title="Shack">Shack News</a> is reporting the rumor that the upcoming title is an official <strong>X-Com</strong> sequel.</p><blockquote><p>Irrational Games, developer of System Shock 2 as well as the upcoming BioShock (X360, PC), may be working on a successor to Microprose's PC tactical sci-fi classic X-COM: UFO Defense. Evidence suggesting the new game's existence comes by way of a resume found on the official website of law firm <a href="http://www.fierstpucci.com/">Fierst, Pucci & Kane, LLP</a>. It was listed in the CV of firm partner Frederick U. Fierst, which states that among Fierst's clients are "Ken Levine and Jonathan Chey, founders of Irrational Games LLC." The <a href="http://www.fierstpucci.com/cv/fierst.pdf">current version</a> of the document has had the pertinent reference removed, but a <a href="http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:POy_sRE0rVgJ:www.fierstpucci.com/cv/fierst.pdf+xcom&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk&client=firefox-a">cached version</a> of the document lists the following games as being credited to the Boston, Massachusetts- and Canberra, Australia-based developer (emphasis added): </p><blockquote>System Shock 2, Tribes 3, SWAT, <em>X-Com</em>, BioShock, Freedom Force</blockquote></blockquote>Keep in mind that this is still just a rumor at this point with no confirmation from Irrational or Take-Two Interactive, the current owner of the X-Com franchise.

Oarfish

Prophet
Couldn't they like.. hire the Gollop brothers? Its not like they are dead or anything.

Bloodlust

Augur
Prey to jesus,mohamed or whatever motherfucking god you believe that this is true.Especially that the sequel is worked on by sys shock developers.I hope that this this true,no,I prey that this true.If it is,then propably,hell has already been frost

:drunk post:

Ryuken

Liturgist
Odd that Levine cites X-Com as the major influence for Freedom Force. Maybe he forgot something important then in that game, like a turnbased option...

Jed

Cipher
Yeah, while Irrational has made some great games, they've never--as far as I know--made a Turn-Based game. So I'm not getting too excited yet. It's a small step from X-Com to UFO:AfterRTwP...

Section8

Cipher
There's also the fact that aside from Freedom Force, Irrational are very FPS oriented. Shock 2, Tribes Vengeance, SWAT 4, Bioshock. :?

Mind you, they do good things, and there are plenty of ex Fallout Tactics devs at the Canberra studio, so between that and Freedom Force, there's a solid base of experience in tactical combat, and plenty of lessons learned.

Could be interesting.

VasikkA

Liturgist
How arousing. Although XCOM Apocalypse and the new UFO games had their moments, you can't achieve the intensity of the originals without turn-based. Plus they have guys that worked on Freedom Force and FOT... it could be worse, like if the working title is XCOM 360.

Bloodlust

Augur
VasikkA said:
... it could be worse, like if the working title is XCOM 360.

I enjoyed more Apocalypse than Terror from the deep.Sure,the combat sucked ass but at least the game was an original sequel instead of a 1-1 copy of ufo like terror from the deep.

X-com 360 ??? Alien Sectoid Hookers wearing thongs invading the earth using cutting edge weaponry,like plasma-saber dildos? Oh and instead of elerium,the Alien Ufo's use Anal Lube as fuel.Yeah,pretty tr00 to the original :)

dagorkan

Arbiter
Agree that they should give the franchise to the Gollops. I have no confidence in Irrational, System Shock 2 was an OK game but it has nothing to do with X-Com.

obediah

Erudite
baby arm said:
Remember this? Well it may not be related but 2K has something planned for the upcoming Games Convention in Leipzig, August 23rd-26th.
In addition to the stellar line-up, two new and unannounced games from established and popular brands will be revealed for the first time at Games Convention 2007.

Oh, this one could hurt. I loved the FF games, but a moronic RT X-Com game with campy voice-overs is not something I need right now. And then all the "journalists" wiping the cum on their sleeves as they ensure us it will be the best game in the series and remind us that while we all think we enjoyed the old games, they are actually responsible for AIDS and that everytime you boot up X-Com, a species goes extinct - it's just that unplayable.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Even if it is true, would it be a console game? I'd love a new X-Com game, but only if it is done right and doesn't cater to the console crowd. Also, to the best of my knowledge, Irrational has never made a turn-based game :(

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
How to make X-Com sequel the right way:

Step 1: Upgrade the graphics.
Step 2: Add hotkeys.
Step 3: Improve AI, add more difficulty settings.
Step 4, optional: Add some new tech, but keep the old, just rename it, like in TerrorftD.
Step 5: LEAVE THE REST AS IS. Do not change gameplay. mechanics, stat system... Do not change anything. X-Com 1 was flawless as it was. Any change you make will be detrimental.
Step 5: ?
Step 6: Profit!

obediah

Erudite
Jasede said:
How to make X-Com sequel the right way:

Step 1: Upgrade the graphics.
Step 2: Add hotkeys.
Step 3: Improve AI, add more difficulty settings.
Step 4, optional: Add some new tech, but keep the old, just rename it, like in TerrorftD.
Step 5: LEAVE THE REST AS IS. Do not change gameplay. mechanics, stat system... Do not change anything. X-Com 1 was flawless as it was. Any change you make will be detrimental.
Step 5: ?
Step 6: Go out of business.

Fixed.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doesn't it all depend on the marketing? If you take "Action Phases" as a new buzzword for Turn Based Combat, add flashy graphics with lots of shiny stuff happening when you shoot and basically praise everything as being the best thing ever made since the gods created the world, you can't do anything else than selling out.

Fanboy retard: "But tiz combat sounds so slow and tiresome."
Marketing dude: "Yeah, but hey! Look at those nice effects when you shoot somebody in the chest! Oh, and look at the graphics in general! Wonderful, isn't it?"
Fanboy retard: "Yeeeees.... wanna have....."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom