Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WTF was Viconia Evil in BG3

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Larian thought she was too old for the role.
Well they literally made Viconia LOOK old in the game, so doubt that was it, either.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Bg2 did not have many evil companion, and all of them would be qualified as "manageable evil", because even fucking korgan got limit and support you if you get rid of child molester. They also all got sort of a good aligned ending, edwin get humbled by a sex pest and has to pay for his misdeed as edwina, Korgan end up battling evil-aligned race for the rest of his life, Viconia outright got redeemed whatever the ending you get, and Sarevok got a bittersweet ending where he tried to reflect about his loss and the price of his ambition.

If you really wanted a dumb evil cameo to show up, you could have picked up shar-teel, safena, tiax or montaron and his pal, I don't care that they died in BG2, Sarevok should also be extremely dead. Hell, they could even took the piss and and troll beamdog by adding Hexxhat as fugly hold hag that you need to kill, I'm sure that would have been cathartic for a lot of people here.

It was a deliberate choice to pick only the nuanced evil characters, and the irony of getting rid of characters alignement only to allow Manichean characters is certainly not lost on me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Viconia outright got redeemed whatever the ending you get, and Sarevok got a bittersweet ending where he tried to reflect about his loss and the price of his ambition.
An epilogue would only be canon if that person was in your party when the game ended. As far as Larian was concerned, she wasn't. Got her eyes clawed out by Boo and left in shame.

Sarathiour

Cipher
You're absolutely right, we better stick to your headcanon of a level 26 cleric being defeated by a giant miniature hamster during an epic showdown that make the one with iranicus pale in comparaison.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You're absolutely right, we better stick to your headcanon of a level 26 cleric being defeated by a giant miniature hamster during an epic showdown that make the one with iranicus pale in comparaison.
It's not headcanon when it's mentioned in a canon work. A person being high level doesn't make them invulnerable, Boo got a critical success.

Was Sharteel truly evil? I can't remember much of her outside of her being the daughter of some higherup.

Sarathiour

Cipher
According to the alignement, without a doubt.

According to myself, she's a feminist, so also yes without a doubt.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Viconia outright got redeemed whatever the ending you get, and Sarevok got a bittersweet ending where he tried to reflect about his loss and the price of his ambition.
An epilogue would only be canon if that person was in your party when the game ended.
But they base her on the epilogue. Kind of.
They changed the Shar temple massacre details to make her silly evil.

This isn't just shit. This is high effort. As a big BG fag, I appriciate the extra steps they take to spit in my face.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dont think devs played the previous games to care enough bro.

Drow are evil. She in particular was evil. They also didn't have to respect a "Viconia is redeemed" playthrough. In their canon, she wasn't.

I thought WoketC were against race vilification because of stereotypes or some shit? Yeah devs probably just didnt give a shit.

Basically this. BG3 devs probably skim-read just read the fan wiki or whatever.

ALthough I also think they know they can never write as good characters as David Gaider so just did the basics and kicked the original fans in the shins at the same time.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I'm much more interested in why they couldn't get Grey DeLisle - who, unlike Jaheira's VO who apparently vanished off the face of the Earth - is very much active still. In fact, could someone with a good Twitter presence ask if she was even approached?

I feel like Grey could've done a lot to improve V's re-appearance but unfortunately we got this instead

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to".

They were never gonna put effort and talent they didn't have into BG1&2 characters.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Grey Delisle is in high demand and a higher tier VA. Schedule and budget might've been issues here. Her and a lot of the other VAs in games like Bloodlines were kinda beginners back then, so their rates might have only gone up and up.
A lot of the other VAs have already worked with Larian too so there's a track record. Minthara's VA worked in the DOS games for instance.

Jim Cummings, while active still, is probably too old. Minsc looks 30, 35 tops, Cummings is twice that age. I heard him doing a Winnie The Pooh voice recently and he couldn't hide the raspy old man voice.

That's a fair point, but Jim Cummings is such a great actor with such a great pedigree that they should have made the effort. Came up with something like he had stone in his throat or something and fans would have bought it. Like Peter Cullen and Frank Welker, Jim cummings is a legend that guys like me remember from cartoons as kids. So not having him voice Minsc is the same as some no-talent trying to voice Optimus Prime.

Maybe thet couldn't afford it, but just saying. It's obvious that they want a new audience for a game called BG3.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Was Sharteel truly evil? I can't remember much of her outside of her being the daughter of some higherup.
There's a dash in her name. I think it was actually Shart-eel.

I think she was the adopted/daughter of Angelo in the flaming fist. He lets the party go if they get caught and she's in it. Pretty sure this was info available outside the game though and not in it. Although I was never liberal with the charm spells.

I wonder what trivia some BG3 veteran will remember 20 years from now? Technique for fingered bear ass probably.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Incidentally BG3 does in fact acknowledge a banter from Throne of Bhaal:

Viconia: Minsc, I am finding myself unable to deny your effectiveness in battle.
Minsc: Eh... Boo, was that a compliment?
Viconia: Oh, it was, and your response is the reason for my query. Just how old is Boo?
Minsc: Boo? He is young by the standards of his miniature giant cohorts.
Viconia: So he has exceeded the normal lifespan of a normal rodent of his type?
Minsc: I believe he takes offense to the term "rodent."
Viconia: Perhaps he bears examining. Some form of exploratory dissection. It was an art in my homeland.
Minsc: You know, try as he might, Boo just doesn't get your kind of humor.

She wasn't joking. She tried to dissect Boo, had her eyes clawed out, and then ran away, this is canon.

"B-but my epilogue"

Like I said earlier, just because something *can* happen in your play-through doesn't mean it *did*.

God, I had forgotten just how much I hate Minsc. Fuck him and his butt-rodent.

Fargus

Arcane
First thing any sane person usually does is telling Minsc to fuck off in Chateau Irenicus. Although i must admit his dialogue with Desharik in BG2 was hilarious:

"Talk to my space hamster!" *gets sent to Spellhold asylum instantly*.

Sunri

Liturgist
The lack of comical Minsc-Quotes. — Beamdog Forums

Best cRPGs: Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2 BG2 Companion

SkyFlyer97

Literate
I found killing Viconia to be one of the more satisfying moments of the game. Hilarious and rare masterstroke of genius from Larian trolling the simps so hard.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I found killing Viconia to be one of the more satisfying moments of the game. Hilarious and rare masterstroke of genius from Larian trolling the simps so hard.

Yeah replacing that hawt ebony fuckdoll with bear anus was a masterstroke, and clearly the peak modern audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom