Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wtf i finished Risen already?

Cool, but why should we have horrible games just because you found a new hobby?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
What you mean with "we"? All I see is a belligerent bum, not the voice of the silent majority.

concombine3.jpg

Pick up that straw

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
There is actually a form of quest compass.

The NPCs will place a mark on your map showing where a cave they are talking about is. It isn't intrusive and it doesn't hold your hand through entire quests, just gives you a general idea. I like it, I'd certainly ask people to mark things on my map before travelling into the wilderness, if it was me.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
vazquez595654 said:
Vault Dweller, what do you think of randomization of equipment, like in the Diablo's? I'm assuming you are not using it for AoD. Did you consider using such a system for AoD, or do you dislike the idea entirely?
It works for games like Diablo and Sacred, but I prefer hand-placed items in non-action RPGs.

By the way, do people here consider Fallout a sandbox game?
Don't think so.

Andhaira

Arcane
How is playing a magic user in risen? Are there utility spells?

Wulfstand

Prophet
AndhairaX said:
How is playing a magic user in risen? Are there utility spells?

If I remember correctly, you get to have runes instead of just scrolls for spells like levitate, open lock, Nautilus transformation,etc. So yea, there are some pretty neat spells in the game, but except levitate and (I think) open lock, nothing we haven't seen in g1/2.
I'm at chapter 3 atm, don't know what bullshit your talking about in ch.2, I liked it immensely,t'was fun.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
GlobalExplorer said:
I can sometimes afford to play a week or two straight, but it's gotta end, eventually. Not everyone is living on the dole, you know.
One or two weeks done hardcore will take care of pretty much any game.

If you can't find the time, wait until you can.

Don't advocate changing the whole system just because it's inconvenient for you. Anyone with a sizable game collection (especially RPGs) deals with the same time constraints, and they work through it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
SuicideBunny said:
Vault Dweller said:
Don't think so.
i do. fallout is pretty much the paragon of sandobx rpgs.
Sandbox generates gameplay. That's the main feature. You can easily spend 20 hours playing a sandbox game without touching anything scripted (much like in a real sandbox, hence the name). It's clearly not the case in Fallout or Arcanum. Non-linearity and sandbox are two different things.

Mortmal

Arcane
I am at chapter 4 as well its really not good, chapter 1 was fantastic but it ends up the same encounters again and again mostly unplayable , i die i in 3 hits, and finally none of your character development matters in the end.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
GlobalExplorer said:
I can sometimes afford to play a week or two straight, but it's gotta end, eventually. Not everyone is living on the dole, you know.

You've totally missed the whole point. The whole point was that they REPLACED quests with C&C with MONSTER SPAWNS. Get it?
The ONLY time you get quests with C&C is in chapter 1. Chapter 2 to 4 consists of clearing monsters.

I'm restarting the whole game this time.. only going to play chapter 1 and do as much as i can with my trusty two handed sword.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I just finished the game.
Because some moron on Codex posted that he was level 14 before entering the town, I tried to kill everything I could before I entered the Town. And I was able to reach level 15 only on Chapter 1 without entering the town. It took me 24h. I would say that I've rushed through the rest of the game and I've ended at lvl 29 with 70 skill points unused.
Is true that after chapter I, every chapter consist of only one big quest but they are fun nevertheless. But I'm glad that there still is one thing that only Gothic fans can enjoy: going back to an area were you got you ass kicked.;)

By the way, Fred pwns :D

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Because some moron on Codex posted that he was level 14 before entering the town, I tried to kill everything I could before I entered the Town. And I was able to reach level 15 only on Chapter 1 without entering the town. It took me 24h. I would say that I've rushed through the rest of the game and I've ended at lvl 29 with 70 skill points unused.

So you followed what the moron did? What does that make you?

I was intrigued by Gothic 1 because the world seemed unique. Sure it had swords and armor, but the creatures, landscape, and that giant forcefield around the landscape made it seem like an alien world worth exploring, almost like an alternate dimension. Risen is just a cliched boring island with the same crap we've seen before. The quests are weak, and the story is cliched, I can't find it the least bit interesting.

How do people find the quests interesting? They all revolve around x wants you to do this, and y wants you to do that, now choose. But either choice requires you to do something boring.

They really raped the word quests in this game. They should rename the quests to chores.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Well hell you keep posting on the codex from 2005. I think you are use to cliche simply by posting. I mean if one was to get all general about things everyday of living is cliche. One is awake, eats, secretes bodily fluids, sleeps, etc. Most games ask of the player to choose between a or b at the least. Even if it is a) I play the game or b) I don't play the game. Damn it everything is cliche! By the way force fields are sci fi. It is some type of magical spell or series of spells designed to keep prisoners from escapeing. Something magical along the lines of a mythal, a binding ritual (containment part), and/or an inward refusal spell. Hell Gothic 1 was cliche for me since I had played so many damn games and read fantasy/sci fi books that worked around the same premise. Hell even movies did similiar concepts. Escape from (insert city name here) movies basically. Snake Plissken.

Mackerel

Augur
Well, I just finished it as well, and yes the last chapters were combat heavy and the final boss was pretty underwhelming. It seems obvious from the end though, especially with that last line after the credits roll, that they hope to make an expansion pack or sequel, and hopefully it will be the former so they can flesh out the latter parts of the game.

Overall though, I enjoyed playing it (as a mage), as evidenced by the fact that I actually beat it, when most new games I've played recently I've lost interest in. I do think I'd like to replay G2 now though.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Vault Dweller said:
Sandbox generates gameplay. That's the main feature. You can easily spend 20 hours playing a sandbox game without touching anything scripted (much like in a real sandbox, hence the name). It's clearly not the case in Fallout or Arcanum. Non-linearity and sandbox are two different things.
depends. what you said holds true in general, but in my eyes computer game gameplay is nothing but a script, and there isn't much difference between something that creates the illusion of a somewhat living world through story scripts, or chunks of debris falling in a certain way because of the physics engine.
for me, a sandbox is foremost a free to explore environment in which you have a multitude of opportunities to observe "cause and effect" based on your actions. fallout is pretty much the only rpg that achieves that on both, the basic and the story level, and non-linearity is a big part of the latter.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
They really raped the word quests in this game. They should rename the quests to chores.

Is sad, but is true. There are 3-4 "memorable" quests, however the vast majority are sub par or simply retarded. The combat is not bright either. However the game has one special quality: the exploration. It has a special feeling of freedom that is so lacking from other games. Or maybe this is just Gothic nostalgia speaking. :)

SuicideBunny said:
Vault Dweller said:
depends. what you said holds true in general, but in my eyes computer game gameplay is nothing but a script, and there isn't much difference between something that creates the illusion of a somewhat living world through story scripts, or chunks of debris falling in a certain way because of the physics engine.
for me, a sandbox is foremost a free to explore environment in which you have a multitude of opportunities to observe "cause and effect" based on your actions. fallout is pretty much the only rpg that achieves that on both, the basic and the story level, and non-linearity is a big part of the latter.
It's idiots like you that cause language to decline. You can't understand simple words so you make up your own fucking definitions and never stop talking until everyone is confused and ready to accept them.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Paula Tormeson IV said:
It's idiots like you that cause language to decline. You can't understand simple words so you make up your own fucking definitions and never stop talking until everyone is confused and ready to accept them.
language is imprecise and ever-changing. only the stupid and demented get worked up over things they can neither control nor influence.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
SuicideBunny said:
language is imprecise and ever-changing. only the stupid and demented get worked up over things they can neither control nor influence.

An excellent ebbeh to cabbage. I'd even dare to gruntsponge.

SuicideBunny said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Think about what I wrote. Really think about it, and you'll realize I'm right.

Of course we can influence these things if we first become conscious of them. As Freud said, you first have to become conscious of the problem to be able to solve it.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Heh i actually managed to loot the entire monastery in chapter 1 without being enlisted. Get wacked by magnus (near harbor city), cast the joke spell on the mage when you wake up, and run the hell away from him.

No scripts broken, game still works fine. Now loot everything in the monastery. =D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom