Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN WTF: Baldur's Gate recreated entirely in NWN2 engine

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm still a bit more excited about BG2 Redux in DA:O engine. Nice work though, we can never have too much BG.

It is a shame the DA:O community is only interested in new faces for their WAIFU and more explicit sex scenes. Compared to NWN2 the DA:O modding community leaves a lot to be desired.

Yes but how much can you really do with that engine? Maybe the limitations are just too big for anything more than sex. Of course the userbase is different too...

Well I let the project speak for itself.

Gord

Arcane
Did they say anything about mechanics at all or did I just miss it?
Otherwise it's about what you'd expect and will probably need another 2 years till it's finished, unless they stop working on it, of course, which is the traditional approach.

Delterius

Arcane
I'm still a bit more excited about BG2 Redux in DA:O engine. Nice work though, we can never have too much BG.

It is a shame the DA:O community is only interested in new faces for their WAIFU and more explicit sex scenes. Compared to NWN2 the DA:O modding community leaves a lot to be desired.

You're definitely right about that sir - BG2 Redux is the only exciting DA:O mod out there.

http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/3496/

:mob:

Gozma

Arcane
octavius Apparently, "AD&D 2.5" is actually a thing, and both BG1 and BG2 use it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons#Differences_from_Advanced_Dungeons_.26_Dragons_2nd_edition

In 1995, the core rulebooks were slightly revised and a series of Player's Option manuals were released as "optional core rulebooks". Although still referred to by TSR (and later Wizards of the Coast) as the 2nd edition, this revision is seen by some fans as a distinct edition of the game and is sometimes referred to as AD&D 2.5.

So Gold Box is AD&D 2, Infinity Engine is 2.5. What I wonder is whether there was ever an AD&D first edition game. It'd have to be unofficial since I don't think TSR licensed out before SSI.

None of the IE games actually use the "player's option" books (most memorable thing in them is that they split up each attribute into two parts, like Dexterity gets split up into agility and... I think hand-eye coordination but that isn't the word they used). If a video game ever used that shit it must have been something I've never played.

BG2 just took a few kits from "Complete Book of X", which isn't the player's option stuff. Maybe Icewind Dale did Complete Book of X also but that game has passed through my memory leaving no trace

Also the biggest video game thing for AD&D 1st edition is that you get experience points for loot, which is in all the Gold Box games. GBs also don't do shit like weapon specialization which was a rule from some expansion book in 1st edition (Unearthed Arcana?) but a rule in the core book in 2nd.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
Did they say anything about mechanics at all or did I just miss it?
Otherwise it's about what you'd expect and will probably need another 2 years till it's finished, unless they stop working on it, of course, which is the traditional approach.

Well, it's just about what you'd expect: BG2 in DA:O engine. Whether you like it or not it's up to you. There's more info at the project website. They have tweaked some of the DA:O spells to be more reminiscent of the BG2 ones, but combat mechanics are pretty much just DA:O - so there's not much to enjoy in that respect. However I still think that the guys have done a nice job with the modding tools - most of the areas actually look like the ones in the original game. It's good for a short nostalgia trip if nothing else.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron

You're definitely right about that sir - BG2 Redux is the only exciting DA:O mod out there.

Yea, that might be a good one as well, but to be honest the only time I'll ever install DA:O again is to play BG2 Redux since I didn't particularly like DA:O in the first place.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Do Tieflings in Icewind Dale 2 get more respect? I have been wanting to do that one with a full Tiefling party for some time.

They do, although not so much to warrant full-tiefling party. ID2 is very reactive to your party composition and will constantly check race, subrace, class, stat scores and skill scores. Off the top of my head I can remember one demonic collusion when having a tiefling well-versed in Bluff/Diplomacy and Knowledge (Arcane) got you the best possible outcome.

Usually such checks do not do anything significant, however - they merely give you more backstory, make the upcoming battle slightly less problematic and such. Also you won't bump at that at every corner with your tiefling setup, because the game offers other opportunities for other races.

Plus, the ID2 is actually dickish about picking the character who is going to negotiate after key cutscenes. You'd think that your Char 22 Drow Bard with Diplomacy over 15 should be having the conversation wiht that very mad priestess of Lolth, right? Well, guess again, sucker - your brain-damaged human barbarian will do the talking.

But overall, for its reactivity only, I consider Icewind Dale 2 to be vastly superiour to its predecessor - a sentiment not many here share.

Delterius

Arcane
Yea, that might be a good one as well, but to be honest the only time I'll ever install DA:O again is to play BG2 Redux since I didn't particularly like DA:O in the first place.
Nothing can be more monocled than a mod 'hosted' on the Dex, man. Sea's mod is pretty cool and you should give it a try. I wish I could.

Alex

Arcane
octavius Apparently, "AD&D 2.5" is actually a thing, and both BG1 and BG2 use it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons#Differences_from_Advanced_Dungeons_.26_Dragons_2nd_edition

So Gold Box is AD&D 2, Infinity Engine is 2.5. What I wonder is whether there was ever an AD&D first edition game. It'd have to be unofficial since I don't think TSR licensed out before SSI.

Actually, the new versions of the core books are pretty much the same, the difference being more about what art is used and how the book was typeset. The 2.5 editions is really only significantly different if you use the Player's Option books, what Baldur's Gate didn't do.

Revenant

Also, wasn't it the 1995 AD&D revision that removed the "evil" elements of the game such as the half-orc race and assassin class because of the pressure from the public, or were they removed during the transition from AD&D1 to AD&D2?

Alex

Arcane

In 1995, the core rulebooks were slightly revised and a series of Player's Option manuals were released as "optional core rulebooks". Although still referred to by TSR (and later Wizards of the Coast) as the 2nd edition, this revision is seen by some fans as a distinct edition of the game and is sometimes referred to as AD&D 2.5.

None of the IE games actually use the "player's option" books (most memorable thing in them is that they split up each attribute into two parts, like Dexterity gets split up into agility and... I think hand-eye coordination but that isn't the word they used). If a video game ever used that shit it must have been something I've never played.

BG2 just took a few kits from "Complete Book of X", which isn't the player's option stuff. Maybe Icewind Dale did Complete Book of X also but that game has passed through my memory leaving no trace

Also the biggest video game thing for AD&D 1st edition is that you get experience points for loot, which is in all the Gold Box games. GBs also don't do shit like weapon specialization which was a rule from some expansion book in 1st edition (Unearthed Arcana?) but a rule in the core book in 2nd.

I always saw the building points stuff in Player's Options as its defining feature, actually. In fact, I had forgotten completely about the separate ability scores. Now tht you bring this up, it reminds me that Dangerous Journeys does something similar, but divides the attributes in 3, not two. DJ was a game by Gary Gygax after he left TSR, but the game got more or less shut down by TSR, who ended buying the rights to it just so it wouldn't get published anymore, as part of a settlement. Still, I wonder if they took the idea from there.

Also, about 1st edition D&D, don't forget the Half Orcs and Assassins. Also, I think the focus the DMG has on how hired NPCs behave is an important sign of how the game should be played, although no CRPG used it for anything, as far as I know.

edit:
Also, wasn't it the 1995 AD&D revision that removed the "evil" elements of the game such as the half-orc race and assassin class because of the pressure from the public, or were they removed during the transition from AD&D1 to AD&D2?

It was from 1e to 2e. I think 2e added assassins back later on as a kit, though.

Cool name

Arcane
They do, although not so much to warrant full-tiefling party.

Well, you know me. If I am not playing a full 'insert cool and obviously superior race here' party (usually elves) I am going with an elf/tiefling girl accompanied by as many dwarf warriors and dwarf clerics as I can get, with names as Urist McAngry, Urist McBeardy, and Urist McGrumpy. Originality is not one of my strenghts, and I do not like the 'circus' feel of the generic adventuring party.

Anyway, thank you for the detailed explanation. :)

Revenant

Lol, one day it also came to me that the cliche D&D party is too multicult to be true. Come on, ubermensch elves getting along with jewdwarves and savage half-orcs? Implausible as hell. An all-human or all-elven party, united by a somewhat common cause, is much more likely.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
But the differences is what makes it interesting. Even cliche things like elf vs dwarf or paladin vs rogues spices things up.

Also BG2 is just 2nd edition with most optional rules like weapon speed, critical hits and AC modifiers for different types of attack.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Funny, I'm not a big fan of multiculturalism in real life, but in CRPGs I always strive to include as many races, classes and genders as possible.

Cool name

Arcane
I hope some day a developer does make a D&D game where I can play the only multicult party that makes sense: One tiefling warlock, one orc barbarian, and all the remaining slots occupied by a variety of kobolds. And they kill stuffies for their shiny thingies while trying to discover how to return to their dungeon sweet dungeon. :(

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Now have him convert all of the Golden Box games into w/e engine OE is using for PE.

Nadosh

Novice

:oops: Damn, I completely forgot about Thirst. That mod is actually pretty good, reminds me of Baldur's Gate, but with more C&C.

Cool name

Arcane
As a matter of fact, forget the orc.
:cool:

No, no. The ork is very important for LARPing such a party. I mean, you have the tiefling warlock girl in the role of the sexy sorceress who jiggles, does plot exposition, and 'knows people, you see?' And you have the Kobolds in the role of the viciously loveable minions who manage to make even the bloodiest of antics totally endearing (think Pathfinder's goblins :hug: Gods, I love those fuckers). So the party would not work without the beefcake who does a lot of angry staring, grunts about what's good in life, and tells Gruumsh to skullfuck himself before the climatic battle against the charging knights of self-righteousness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom