Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WotC: "seven or eight" D&D video games are coming over the next few years

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I know it will never happen, but more than 5th edition I would like to see them make/have made some 4th edition games. It was a flawed edition, but it felt so built from the same design philosophies as most modern MMO/CRPGs it blows my mind they never really tried. It's tailor made for at least a fun ARPG. But we'll be lucky to even get a half assed adaptation of the 5th edition rule set. I expect a Drizzt MOBA and some sort of digital D&D themed card battle game both choke full of loot crate style stuff.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It would be retarded to make a DnD mobs, but hey, it's WotC.

With Sven's GM mode they dipped their toes into some proper RPG though, maybe something good comes out of it.

RPK

Scholar
Honestly, I don't care anymore, I have zero hope of they implementing the PnP system as it is on a computer game, even if there is an "old school" rpg project on this list of games. Larian make use of cooldowns and I don't trust them to make good mechanics after D:OS 2, Obsidian is going on that route too with PoE 2 with per encounter spammy abilities, no RPG developer, even the ones that supposedly are developing old school games want to implement a vancian system or anything close to the system that ToEE had, fuck, they don't even want to implement anything close to what NWN 2 had.

I played quite a few Bioware cargo cult RPGs from Obsidian and Larian, not sure if I will keep interested for longer, you know the drill, when you are talking with NPCs, it is adventure game time because the horror of actually implementing stat checks on a meaningful way and when you are fighting, it is trash mob cleaning time with ability spam. Just played the Swordflight module series for NWN 1, this series is what I really hope modern isometric RPGs would be on the NPC interaction/adventure side with really interesting stat check uses and proper roleplay opportunities, look, I'm not interested on your story of the terrible evil bad guy that will destroy us all, I couldn't give a fuck about your bland fantasy stock NPCs, just let me roleplay or it is better to play something like Beautiful Isolation or any proper adventure game.

I really miss something like ToEE for combat too, I already know how Baldurs Gate 1 played, I don't need yet another dumbdown version of that.

If they are going to release Baldur's Gate 1 dumb down edition with just a new coat of paint, dunno if I'm interested.

At this point, I'm more interested on someone releasing a decent toolset for someone that actually wanna make RPGs to produce one that is actually interesting to play.

I'll purchase this DnD RPG in a heartbeat:
- Take FRUA, and modernize the game for today's PCs, Macs, and Linux.
- Make the graphics better and sound. I'm not talking to AAA levels, but something like a more successful indie title of today would be fine.
- Add the ability to cover other rulesets so the DnD 5th Edition crowd would be happy, but so would grognards like me.
- Throw in a few games from your old modules from each ruleset, primarily the mega-dungeons like The Ruins of Undermountain for 2nd Edition or Adventure Paths like "The Shackled City".
- Allow ease of use for mod creators like Ray Dyer, so we can get smaller adventures made.
- Profit. I'm ready to throw money in right now.

Unfortunately, that game would sell around 10,000 copies and doom the DnD IP to irrelevance.

not to mention costing a fortune to make if you're going to support multiple rulesets, create a toolset for end users to build adventures in it a la Unlimited Adventures AND create modules in each of those rulesets.

Darkzone

Arcane
I know it will never happen, but more than 5th edition I would like to see them make/have made some 4th edition games. It was a flawed edition, but it felt so built from the same design philosophies as most modern MMO/CRPGs it blows my mind they never really tried. It's tailor made for at least a fun ARPG. But we'll be lucky to even get a half assed adaptation of the 5th edition rule set. I expect a Drizzt MOBA and some sort of digital D&D themed card battle game both choke full of loot crate style stuff.
The 4th edition is good as a extension to WotC board games or the board games are modeled after the 4th edition, but it didn't took of somehow.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

Wizards of the Coast applied trademark "DARK ALLIANCE" in July for use in digital games: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=88507325&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

I thought Interplay still has the trademark. Did Herve sell it?

Abandoned April 2019: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=87168051&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Looking at Interplay trademarks, it looks like various have been abandoned, mostly last year. Others still owned. Hard to see any logic to it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of the 10 "D&D games" to be released by 2020, the only ones that are actually CRPGs seem to be Solasta, Realms Beyond, and Knights of the Chalice 2... all of which are made by independent companies using the open source D&D rulesets, with no ties to WotC whatsoever.

... what the FUCK are you doing, WotC???

Darkzone

Arcane
Of the 10 "D&D games" to be released by 2020, the only ones that are actually CRPGs seem to be Solasta, Realms Beyond, and Knights of the Chalice 2... all of which are made by independent companies using the open source D&D rulesets, with no ties to WotC whatsoever.

They fail at understanding, that the younger audience, that is currently around 12-14 years old and playing computer games, will be their next consumers for PnP DnD if they are 15-20.
Let us be glad that OGL exist and that Larian will perhaps make something decent.

Codex Year of the Donut

They fail at understanding, that the younger audience, that is currently around 12-14 years old and playing computer games, will be their next consumers for PnP DnD if they are 15-20.
Let us be glad that OGL exist and that Larian will perhaps make something decent.
PnP has become infested by people who treat it as realtime storytelling/LARPing with essentially zero regards for rules or mechanics.

Darkzone

Arcane
PnP has become infested by people who treat it as realtime storytelling/LARPing with essentially zero regards for rules or mechanics.
Ok that may be true. But for such a crowd there is no difference between DnD and other rulessets and therefore WotC should grow their own audience by producing TB cRPGs.

Sykar

Arcane
giphy.gif

AliceAlcina

Learned
Beamdog's game was cancelled, right?

Larian's BG3
Arkham Batman's devs's game, you know, action D&D
Idle Clicker disgrace

Ceres games don't have license right?

AliceAlcina

Learned
Not sure on that. I see news somewhere on the net and I do not where.
I know that that Batman's dev are making a action D&D, not sure which Batman's dev , though.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Actually it seems that ONE batman arkham ORIGINS dev are working on the coop ARPG dnd based game descibed above. Origins was the worst Arkham game, and has nothing to do with Rocksteady, though.

Mortmal

Arcane

I dont understand either, when you look on Kickstarter it shows nerds have money, indie rpg books are easily funded , 10X the amount required in a few days. But no they still dont want to publish a classic computer D&D game...There's a market for new gold box game with 5E rules and some coat of paint ,they dont even have to make it look as good as solasta.

Sacibengala

Prophet

I dont understand either, when you look on Kickstarter it shows nerds have money, indie rpg books are easily funded , 10X the amount required in a few days. But no they still dont want to publish a classic computer D&D game...There's a market for new gold box game with 5E rules and some coat of paint ,they dont even have to make it look as good as solasta.
These shit doesn't trend on youtube. The reality now is youtube and twitter. Everything else is delusion.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From D&D communication manager guy, while talking about WotC's recent acquisition of AAA video game studio in Montreal:

They are working on a D&D game. I can't say anything else than that but it is very exciting and we are basically, we're like gnashing at the teeth to be able to tell you what they're working on but it will be coming out soon... what is happening.

And it's really exciting. I mean, we remember the idea of so many digital video games out there based on Dungeons & Dragons. Some of them good, some of them, um, not so good. The good ones, we have, you know, a soft spot in our heart for. And we are entering that new era again right now where there will be an explosion of Dungeons & Dragons video games out there. I couldn't be happier as a person who's got a foot firmly in the tabletop RPG and board game world and a foot firmly in the digital video game world, I am happy to see Dungeons & Dragons straddle that line again. It's exciting.

So get ready for the future. 2020 and beyond are going to be full of Dungeons & Dragons video games that will just bring more and more awareness to the wonders of playing tabletop Dungeons & Dragons. So it's going to be really neat. And this is just the first step along the way, the second one might be Baldur's Gate 3 that's coming out, being developed by our friends at Larian right now as we speak, and the next step might be what this studio in Montreal is working on. [And then talking about Neverwinter MMO and recent console release of EEs.]

FWIW:

FWIW, WotC also has multiple unannounced "publishing" titles, not only "licensing" titles like those games and BG3: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alisonluhrs/

• PUBLISHING: Narrative Design Lead for three unannounced publishing titles
LICENSING: Co-Lead for Baldur's Gate 3

Narrative Designer for Wizards of the Coast Digital Publishing. In this role I partner closely with other designers and producers to create game worlds where story is core to the player experience. My responsibility is to drive an innovative story vision that is central to one of WOTC’s digital publishing titles.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From Hasbro's report last month. WotC has "close to a dozen [digital] games in development for delivery over the next five to six years" internally and externally, including Baldur's Gate 3: https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-...inc-has-q3-2019-earnings-call-transcript.aspx

Given the shift in release timing, the fourth quarter will be a difficult comparison with last year for Magic. But we have delivered meaningful growth in the franchise in 2019 and are investing in new digital games and entertainment for future years. This also includes new gaming investments for DUNGEONS & DRAGONS which again grew revenues this quarter. The team at Wizards of the Coast continues to do tremendous work, advancing our capabilities and delivering exceptional experiences to our growing player and audience base. Through both in-house development and with partners, the Wizards of the Coast team has close to a dozen games in development for delivery over the next five to six years. This includes Boulder's Gate 3 a highly anticipated DUNGEONS & DRAGONS game, we recently announced with our partner, Larian.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The problem here is that WotC doesn't hire experienced RPG developers, but studios that haven't really done RPGs before. Obsidian, Larian, or even Bioware or inXile could make a decent D&D RPG but they're not making them.

Did the Sword Coast Legends team have any previous RPG credits? I don't remember any.

I an sure that Larian will make s SCL clone...

a certain guy mindset said:
"missing who exsts since Pool of radiance in 1988 obvious not work in video games"
"spell slots are not intuitive"
"leveling is too slow"

We don't have a good D&D adaptation since NWN2(2008). All we have is BS mmo and mmo like SP experiences(SCL)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom