Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware WOTC restricting content creation in new OGL - Paizo launches competing OGL - lol cancelled

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
So if current day DnD fans are abandoning WoTC is it time to embrace DnD? The may problem with the modern game is its fans. If they were gone it would be fine.
No

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Catacombs and Carrion Crawlers

8cb477302927283db0f80983c34f2e73--manual-dragons.jpg

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

That'll have to be 'Catacombs and Centipedes', because 'Carrion Crawlers' is regarded as part of D&D's product identity. See: http://www.d20srd.org/faq.htm
The following monsters are considered "Product Identity" by Wizards of the Coast and are therefore not part of the SRD:
  • beholder
  • gauth
  • carrion crawler
  • displacer beast
  • githyanki
  • githzerai
  • kuo-toa
  • mind flayer
  • slaad
  • umber hulk
  • yuan-ti

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

That'll have to be 'Catacombs and Centipedes', because 'Carrion Crawlers' is regarded as part of D&D's product identity. See: http://www.d20srd.org/faq.htm
The following monsters are considered "Product Identity" by Wizards of the Coast and are therefore not part of the SRD:
  • beholder
  • gauth
  • carrion crawler
  • displacer beast
  • githyanki
  • githzerai
  • kuo-toa
  • mind flayer
  • slaad
  • umber hulk
  • yuan-ti
Ok so Mental Flagellants are good.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

• beholder
  • gauth
  • carrion crawler
  • displacer beast
  • githyanki
  • githzerai
  • kuo-toa
  • mind flayer
  • slaad
  • umber hulk
  • yuan-ti

No trademark exists for all but mind flayer and beholder. Of which Mind Flayer is registered to some guy in China. Beholder is registered to many different individuals for different products.

You can't copyright names, but you can copyright specific images with a name and it applies only to that visual representation. Wizards would lose out on this considering almost all of their creatures are based upon mythology and folklore. What's funny is that they lay claim to the Kuo-Toa which are D&D's version of the Deep Ones by H.P. Lovecraft. Lovecraft's works are in the public domain like all other mythological creatures are.

Last edited:

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
No trademark exists for all but mind flayer and beholder. Of which Mind Flayer is registered to some guy in China. Beholder is registered to many different individuals for different products.

You can't copyright names, but you can copyright specific images with a name and it applies only to that visual representation. Wizards would lose out on this considering almost all of their creatures are based upon mythology and folklore. What's funny is that they lay claim to the Kuo-Toa which are D&D's version of the Deep Ones by H.P. Lovecraft. Lovecraft's works are in the public domain like all other mythological creatures are.
You are right and I agree with your points.

What I was trying to imply is that, considering what they're trying to do with this new OGL bullshit, D&D's owners would try to bully anyone using that name/design in a tabletop system. While they wouldn't have any legal standing, any litigation is a far larger burden for small business owners or hobbyists (as stated in an earlier post).

They've shown to be snakes and will abuse their position.

Acrux

Arcane
Honest question: what is D&D Beyond? Are people actually paying a subscription to play nuDND? For real - what is the benefit?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Now this is interesting. An anonymous leak about the plans going forward:

...confirmed by a leaked internal presentation screenshot from last August.

osr_dnd-beyond-leak-scaled.png

You will roll the cyberpeasant dice (that never roll natty 20s) and you will be happy.

happy.png

They just became Roll20, Foundry, and Tabletop Simulator's salesmen of the year.

What I was trying to imply is that, considering what they're trying to do with this new OGL bullshit, D&D's owners would try to bully anyone using that name/design in a tabletop system. While they wouldn't have any legal standing, any litigation is a far larger burden for small business owners or hobbyists (as stated in an earlier post).

That's old thinking before the internet as it is today. All it takes is crowd funding. Do you honestly think that people won't support a person taking on a company that is abusing its position? They will and have in the past. Combine that with an active boycott against anything Hasbro they'll be posting losses before the next quarter is out. Already people are beginning to organize and boycott everything Hasbro.

Honest question: what is D&D Beyond? Are people actually paying a subscription to play nuDND? For real - what is the benefit?

It's basically their virtual tabletop. The market is already crowded with VTT and their move with D&Done will force the individual VTT companies to band together to sue Hasbro for abusing their position as a monopoly. The US federal government may take an interest in this, especially when it comes to claiming copyrights over mathematical formulas as that's a monopoly.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
All this social media outrage, but would the fans have the restraint to stop throwing money at WotC for a long enough time for WotC to reconsider its scummy ways?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
All this social media outrage, but would the fans have the restraint to stop throwing money at WotC for a long enough time for WotC to reconsider its scummy ways?
Many of the YouTube creators are backing away from Wizards and their fans are leaving with them. Although it's a hoot to see them say they'll support Paizo and other woke companies. :lol:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom