Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Worldstone Chronicles (formerly Journey for the Crown) - Fantasy Open-World Isometric RPG with RTwP Combat

JFTC-Scott

Cover Club Media
Developer
The Demo is up for anyone who wants to play. It's much bigger than the first iteration made last March. Easily a few hours of gameplay and story to enjoy.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1364620/Worldstone_Chronicles/

Please share your feedback.

Here are some newly updated scenes. All these are included in the demo and are revamped or new additions.

Thanks
ss_2ae68e0f8f75847b9f40d39ca7d35b22a5c648e3.1920x1080.jpg
ss_e66dd29ec8f997e137d56bc2d3503199f41e75ff.1920x1080.jpg
ss_d102a21b0c8fb7dfe05bc21682d00f79cdaf3248.1920x1080.jpg
ss_a67f284fe6c2185d26a4350e5d3e0497f57dd7a7.1920x1080.jpg
ss_879d71452824e255e209b4f9a2bce6491a3c1820.1920x1080.jpg

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Played demo for a bit.
C130280F1AA8FEF7E22F80F708B9E66708F28F28

91605DE0F5D860FF21A74F463645B3FC2D68EABB

So far this actually felt quite charming, despite (or because) amateur VA, skill and casting system, which I'm not quite certain how they work, and combat which often plays like a Benny Hill chase scene.

JFTC-Scott

Cover Club Media
Developer
Played demo for a bit.
C130280F1AA8FEF7E22F80F708B9E66708F28F28

91605DE0F5D860FF21A74F463645B3FC2D68EABB

So far this actually felt quite charming, despite (or because) amateur VA, skill and casting system, which I'm not quite certain how they work, and combat which often plays like a Benny Hill chase scene.
Thanks for trying the demo. Did you get far into it or did you give up? This is only the second scene so it does become better when you get a 4th team member.

The casting and combat system is the hardest part to grasp, it is different. Some get it and have found it very unique while others struggle. I can see you have set up Aldus perfectly. What did you find strange about it?

The voice acting is me. I found it was better than no voiceovers. It could be better but it's not terrible.

Thanks for your feedback!

rojay

Scholar
A few very brief observations having played the first couple of scenes of the demo. First, obviously it's a work in progress and so things will be tightened up, but there are a good number of typos and misspellings. "They're" when you wanted "Their" for example.

I have no idea how to program enemy AI, but in the first encounter after you meet your first companion, the enemies all focused on the companion. I could just run him around, kiting them while my PC attacked them. That repeated in subsequent encounters, though occasionally an enemy would start attacking my PC (and the third companion).

I get what you're going for by setting everything to auto, but that and the lack of feedback when abilities were used made it difficult to know whether the abilities were going off or not. For example, I had the healer set to heal the second fighter-knight, but I couldn't tell at first whether it was working or what the cool-down was.

It was also a bit difficult to distinguish weapons. The sword dropped by the first named zombie (Willem?) looked like it should be better than the sword my PC started with, but they appeared to be no different in practice.

I also get that the save at checkpoint system is by design, but I prefer to save wherever and whenever I want (at least out of combat) because I frequently have to stop playing games to deal with work or kids or a hundred other things. Not a deal-breaker or anything, just my preference.

I haven't spent enough time to really understand the systems, so take the above with a grain of salt. It may all come together when I've played more.

I like the look of the game and I think some of the systems - like modeling more than just "armor + shield" are interesting. Good luck and I've wishlisted the game. When you get a bit more meat on its bones I'll try to mention it in more detail on another website where people might be interested.

Last edited:

JFTC-Scott

Cover Club Media
Developer
Thanks for your feedback. I'll fix some of those spelling errors.

In the starting encounter, I force the enemies to fight you, so you can figure out the healer, in the past demos, people complained when the healer was attacked first as they were trying to learn how to heal.

The enemy AI is threat-based, so actions create more threats. Each enemy has a list of players and threat is associated that way. There is an initial amount that is delivered to each character on your team, so it's RNG. If you try to kite like you suggest, they'll peel off when the threat is checked. I have some features baked into kiting but these are zombies who move slowly so it's made to be easy. People often died in my earlier versions so I've had to make changes to nudge them along.

The auto(green abilities setup) I was tempted to remove it, but someone said more features are better. I would suggest going blue instead of green. You get all the feedback you want and can mash abilities as desired. Once you get 4 or even 5 characters on your team, you'll probably like the auto features.

Willems weapon is different, just hover over it and a tooltip will display in the bottom right corner. You'll see stats. It is much better than what you currently have.

The demo has 15 more scenes to be played. It's easily a 4-hour experience. If you find the time to explore more, I am very much interested in your feedback.

I'm struggling to get feedback that is beyond 20 minutes of gameplay. Your feedback is concerning as well as the other person who just played it above you bailed around the same spot. Should I be concerned or was it just not fun for you to keep going, was it cringe to keep going? I'm trying to get feedback that tells me if it was at all fun.

Thanks.

rojay

Scholar
The demo has 15 more scenes to be played. It's easily a 4-hour experience. If you find the time to explore more, I am very much interested in your feedback.

I'm struggling to get feedback that is beyond 20 minutes of gameplay. Your feedback is concerning as well as the other person who just played it above you bailed around the same spot. Should I be concerned or was it just not fun for you to keep going, was it cringe to keep going? I'm trying to get feedback that tells me if it was at all fun.

Thanks.
Good to hear it's longer. I'll play through the rest of the demo and give you feedback for sure. Just may take a while. I'm impressed by what you have now, by the way. You seem to have a vision of what you want the game to be and I wouldn't take my or anyone else's advice too seriously.

JFTC-Scott

Cover Club Media
Developer

Thanks.
Good to hear it's longer. I'll play through the rest of the demo and give you feedback for sure. Just may take a while. I'm impressed by what you have now, by the way. You seem to have a vision of what you want the game to be and I wouldn't take my or anyone else's advice too seriously.
I appreciate you circling back with this comment. I was probably taking it all too seriously, to be honest. Lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom