Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline WORLD'S GREATEST GENERIC RPG BLOBBER ENGINE : "VAULT OF TERROR"

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Best of luck Cleve. It is encouraging to know that this time around you have modern tools available and your efforts can be focused more on content than core tech.

I now have such sophisticated editors that not much is left to chance and the hardcoding is almost completely done. A few custom interfaces remain like some work on lockpicking (which takes after Fallout but with traps) and forcing doors, gates. etc. like in Grimoire. The other place that has required the most custom code has been the character creator, which still has a library and the notion of "slots" to hold characters.

Already at 90% hardcoding done, 90% interface done, 90% scenario editing done, 90% dialogues done, 90% factions done. I have found I can put together an interesting dungeon in less than an hour, even randomly generating them.

Also, factions may actually work correctly in this game.

The bestiary is 90% done but there will probably be a much smaller subset of monsters than in Grimoire. I also discovered how to do many variations with monsters in color, weapons, armor and special abilities/breath weapons/etc. So 30+ base monster models becomes 100+ with ease.

I just simply bought a pack of spell effects designed to work out of the box with origin-target and that covers almost all the magic effects right there.

The management of rows, chums and encounter animations also became unbelievably easier than in Grimoire. The monsters automatically know how to walk around chests and obstacles as they approach in the encounter to line up in their rows for turn-based combat.

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
When will this release? I've already given up on trying to complete grimoire. Its to monocled for me. I quit somewhere in the middle of Loch whatever it was.

I will make a demo available on Steam in one month, screenshots in a week or so, release date set after that, best target date is April Fools day. This will be a much smaller game than Grimoire, about 40 hours ideally. It will also be the greatest thing that has happened to dungeon crawlers since display monitors. All previous competitors will be blown away and forgotten after the sheer gaming goodness of STONES OF ARNHEM.

Alter Sack

Magister
Almost none of them were original - they were lifted from Australian Aboriginal legends. That makes them public domain, like Paul Bunyan. Or Paul Bunyip, for example.

Some Codexers may be distressed to discover the monsters being left out will be the bumhole suckers and the penis monsters, all others are mandatory in an Australian themed game.

Seems you are shit out of luck. :lol:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I am changing the title from VAULT OF TERROR to

"STONES OF ARNHEM"

This will be a Wizardry-style true 3D turn based blobber using the Grimoire Roleplaying System in a world based on Australian mythology and legends.

Screenshots to follow soon.
Oh haha. Will you hire those dudes from before? A reunion?

Two of them are dead, so meetings may require the windows to be open.
Sounds like a good thing because they sounded like fucking lazy freaks who molested and stored kids and teenagers to assfuck and molest. Some serious WTF just reading the story and watching interview vids talking about the subject.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I KNEW IT!
OTYUGHS ARE PERVERTS!!
Yes, but not as much as ropers:

6kseog.JPG

Erol Otus artwork from AD&D accessory Rogues Gallery, 1980

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
That portrait of the fish-guy that Cleve posted in the first couple of pages of this topic made me lol but it is true to the original Shadow Over Innsmouth/Dagon concept.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I will make a demo available on Steam in one month, screenshots in a week or so, release date set after that, best target date is April Fools day. This will be a much smaller game than Grimoire, about 40 hours ideally. It will also be the greatest thing that has happened to dungeon crawlers since display monitors. All previous competitors will be blown away and forgotten after the sheer gaming goodness of STONES OF ARNHEM.

:shredder:

So, all we saw for now is a bunch of screenshots, for all we know, Cleve is hunting crocodiles and drinking rootbeers while shitposting on his smartphone and didn't do one line of coding...

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Umm.... Google Images search yielded some mildly disturbing results... Looks like a few other people are "fascinated" by the topic too!

NSFW!

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Cleve should probably keep the penisaurases & butt abyss monsters but only as a hard to find easter egg so it's not too obvious a joke. Perhaps with a digitized photo of Max Phipps' terrified head being consumed by one of the anus monsters. It could also serve as a fun, sly homage to John Romero's head-on-a-stick at the conclusion to Doom 2 but with all disrespect intended.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Best of luck Cleve. It is encouraging to know that this time around you have modern tools available and your efforts can be focused more on content than core tech.

I now have such sophisticated editors that not much is left to chance and the hardcoding is almost completely done. A few custom interfaces remain like some work on lockpicking (which takes after Fallout but with traps) and forcing doors, gates. etc. like in Grimoire. The other place that has required the most custom code has been the character creator, which still has a library and the notion of "slots" to hold characters.

Already at 90% hardcoding done, 90% interface done, 90% scenario editing done, 90% dialogues done, 90% factions done. I have found I can put together an interesting dungeon in less than an hour, even randomly generating them.

Lolol interesting dungeon randomly generated in less than an hour.

5 years later and Cleev is still on his pyramid scheme. 90 percent done yet 10 years to release another shitblobber thats the same shitblobber in a new universe full of assets that your friend's children drew.

And the codex drools in anticipation.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Lolol interesting dungeon randomly generated in less than an hour.

5 years later and Cleev is still on his pyramid scheme. 90 percent done yet 10 years to release another shitblobber thats the same shitblobber in a new universe full of assets that your friend's children drew.

And the codex drools in anticipation.

Do you know how when you come into the office on Monday and everybody is laughing and talking about the great party at the bosses place over the weekend they were all at and how they had a fantastic time?

So you go up to the boss when he is reminiscing with other employees about how great the party was at his house and you ask him "Yo, what happened to my invitation? I didn't know there was a party at your place."

Your boss gets really sympathetic and apologizes, saying "Oh wow, I was sure I sent you an invitation. Sorry about that, I must have forgotten. Get you back next time, promise I won't forget the next one."

He's lying. He didn't forget.

That's just another reason it was a great party.

MartinK

Learned
Will this construction set support barter economy with item’s "market value" fluctuating according to each NPC’s needs (and other modifiers)? I do no have a degree in economics, but I suppose if you try to sell a fancy warhorse to a knight who likes you, the odds are you will be able to haggle for a lot more than if you try to fence it to a vampirre who does not like you very much. Related to this, will you be able to trade more abstract stuff like favours or secrets?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Do you know how when you come into the office on Monday and everybody is laughing and talking about the great party at the bosses place over the weekend they were all at and how they had a fantastic time?

So you go up to the boss when he is reminiscing with other employees about how great the party was at his house and you ask him "Yo, what happened to my invitation? I didn't know there was a party at your place."

Your boss gets really sympathetic and apologizes, saying "Oh wow, I was sure I sent you an invitation. Sorry about that, I must have forgotten. Get you back next time, promise I won't forget the next one."

He's lying. He didn't forget.

That's just another reason it was a great party.

AetherVagrant I'mma have to ask you to buy a leather collar with Cleve's contact info on it should you get lost.

You done got fucked up boy.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
yeah I know Cleave is our favorite joke around here.
I've been around mister 2018

But I think he's an awful person and when he can't get dick he'll take a corndog

I've never worked in places that had "office parties" sounds like some gay ass brobanging to me.

In my world an office party is where I bang your wife because you wont leave the office for 4 days tinkering with ranged damage modifiers.

Cleave can eat shit and die, i followed the story arc for 10 years and it's not a triumph it is sad and pathetic,

But keep up with the bunker, im sure it will save you from suicide.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
In my world an office party is where I bang your wife because you wont leave the office for 4 days tinkering with ranged damage modifiers.

The second you said "bang your wife" I instantly thought of that Henny Youngman joke where he catches his best friend in bed with his spouse.

"Bob, how could you? I mean ... I have to ... but you?!?"

Anyway, this input of yours has been invaluable.

[IGNORE]

You don't know what functional illiteracy is until you see a guy spelling my name "Cleave" after he admits he has been following me for 5 years. Still can't quite get the vowels correct. Congratulations on the autism and adieu.

"yeah I know Cleave is our favorite joke around here."

(Uses "our" to convince himself he is part of a gigantic ring of friends on the Codex. Now you know why he didn't get an invitation.)

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
But keep up with the bunker, im sure it will save you from suicide.

Probably won't but it might help against the cobalt death shround, skyshine, famine, bioweapons, acid rain, trannies in muscle cars and cannibal hordes.

I would bet you are vaccinated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom