Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I'm not sure how the legion launch could possibly compare to the TBC launch in terms of raid content. You're comparing an expansion where there were raids available even if you ignore the content locked behind attunements versus an expansion where there won't be a raid available until several weeks after launch. You might as well try to compare Legion to the launch of vanilla because, sure, there were two raids available at launch, but you had to level up to 60 and do an attunement quest before you could do them, and that's just arbitrarily gating off content!
Is there no equivalent to Gruul/Mag in Legion? As I said before, Kharazan was more of a glorified five man and mythic dungeons can arguably be substituted in its place.
No there fucking isn't. There is absolutely no raid content whatsoever until patch 7.1 at which point re-worked Karazhan hits.

And calling the original Karazhan a "glorified five man" is such utter bullshit that I'm convinced that it's you who actually can't remember jack shit about what TBC really was like and people have already breezed through the so-called Mythic dungeons in Legion - you can't even compare them to the Heroic version of dungeons in TBC. You're deluded Metro. How is that Blizz cock tasting?

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/22614-dungeon-and-raid-schedule-for-legion-released/

• Tuesday, August 30–When Legion is live, dungeons will immediately be available on Normal and Heroic difficulties. Mythic dungeon difficulty will be available after the weekly dungeon reset time.
  • Tuesday, September 20–The Emerald Nightmare Raid dungeon opens on Normal and Heroic difficulties. Mythic Keystones will begin dropping which will allow increased challenge and rewards from Mythic dungeons.
  • Tuesday, September 27–Mythic difficulty for the Emerald Nightmare Raid dungeon opens. The first wing of Raid Finder difficulty for Emerald Nightmare opens.
  • Tuesday, October 11–Raid Finder Wing 2 of Emerald Nightmare opens.
  • Tuesday, October 25–Raid Finder Wing 3 of Emerald Nightmare opens.

That's the schedule. 7.1 (and new Kara/Norse Gods mini-raid) won't be out for a long time, no release date announced yet. What I don't get is when the Nighthold raid is meant to open. It's in the in game dungeon journal so I guess it is before 7.1 release.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not sure how the legion launch could possibly compare to the TBC launch in terms of raid content. You're comparing an expansion where there were raids available even if you ignore the content locked behind attunements versus an expansion where there won't be a raid available until several weeks after launch. You might as well try to compare Legion to the launch of vanilla because, sure, there were two raids available at launch, but you had to level up to 60 and do an attunement quest before you could do them, and that's just arbitrarily gating off content!
Is there no equivalent to Gruul/Mag in Legion? As I said before, Kharazan was more of a glorified five man and mythic dungeons can arguably be substituted in its place.
No there fucking isn't. There is absolutely no raid content whatsoever until patch 7.1 at which point re-worked Karazhan hits.

And calling the original Karazhan a "glorified five man" is such utter bullshit that I'm convinced that it's you who actually can't remember jack shit about what TBC really was like and people have already breezed through the so-called Mythic dungeons in Legion - you can't even compare them to the Heroic version of dungeons in TBC. You're deluded Metro. How is that Blizz cock tasting?
Dunno, since I've continually criticized Blizzard for being creatively bankrupt on the Codex. And, bitch please, I did my Trials of the Naruu when you were in diapers. Nowhere did I say the original TBC heroics weren't hard. They were. And now Mythic+ dungeons take their place (that's Mythic+ not Mythic). Karazhan was simply not that hard except for a couple of bosses. Many of the 'bosses' were glorified trash mobs.

Mortmal

Arcane
So I resubbed for a month, I played from the euro launch to wrath and then went clean from wow for years...

Started a druid, again, and noticed that they changed a bunch of stuff in the early areas, new quests, new mechanics, darkshore looks very diferent. I think the story is more engaging compared to vanilla... And that's about the only positive thing I have to say.

The zones feel empty, chat is empty, grouped for wailing caverns and in the group there was no communication at all, just a mindless zerg.

The butchered the classes, now you choose to be either one of three specs, choose one talent once per x levels and that's my fucking progression.

Everything feels dead, like an abandoned playground.
Ah progression, i see what went wrong, you are playing at lower levels. Everyone is at 100-110 now, the character boost delivered with legion certainly helps a lot. There's lot of people where i am but yes hardly anyone chatting.However whent hey do people are much more friendlier than it was in the old days/ Its easy to know why no one chat , most youth dont type nor read, they are in their closed guild TS , not interacting with anyone else. You are either member of the guild or the real life friends or you dont exist , you are an untermensch. Pickup group,will be a fast mindless zerg most of the time.
It s the same in every online game now. I resubbed too , i imagine that without a guild , the wow experience would be dreadful.

Wulfstand

Prophet
So I resubbed for a month, I played from the euro launch to wrath and then went clean from wow for years...

Started a druid, again, and noticed that they changed a bunch of stuff in the early areas, new quests, new mechanics, darkshore looks very diferent. I think the story is more engaging compared to vanilla... And that's about the only positive thing I have to say.

The zones feel empty, chat is empty, grouped for wailing caverns and in the group there was no communication at all, just a mindless zerg.

The butchered the classes, now you choose to be either one of three specs, choose one talent once per x levels and that's my fucking progression.

Everything feels dead, like an abandoned playground.

I get where you're coming from, hell I did the exact same thing, and was going to enjoy my slow-ass time leveling from 1 to 100, but then I realized that almost everyone is doing the new expansion's content, since it's the first (two) weeks of the expansion, of course 90% are going to be leveling those 10 new levels and doing heroics, while 10% will most probably hurriedly level alts to 100. Horrible time to actually try and find people to level up with unless you're level 100+. Now I'm partly trying to hurry leveling up my UD blood DK and Orc Warrior to 100, so as to enjoy the new content while there's no flying mounts allowed still (can't wait for that world pvp), while also mainly enjoying the view and reading at least some of the quest texts whenever they seem appealing.

Blood is ridiculously fun to tank as, and oftentimes I feel like I end up dishing out more damage than the dpsers, as I mainly stack up on haste and crit.

As for the chat window being empty, try going into a capital city and reading the [2]Trade Chat. On Tarren Mill EU it's always filled to the brim. Haven't gotten to the Broken Isles, but I'd be surprised if they weren't booming with at least lfg posts in the area chats.

As a side note, while leveling I did manage to bump into another guy that was also in the same boat as I was, said he resubbed after not having played from early Cata, we did a few quests and then went on merrily on our way.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I cannot imagine leveling from 1 to 110. I used that Legion invasion thing to level a few chars from 67/80 to 94/100 and even that felt like a chore and all I did was auto-invite people while I sat at the bottom of an inn doing nothing (browsing the internet in another window). Leveling is just a really shitty gameplay mechanic in a game that doesn't get interesting until you're maxed out. Legion giving a free lvl 100 character was a huge draw to me for this reason.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't know how it is as a "narrative rpg experience" (writing is as mediocre as ever, especially dialogue. And there's never any choice in quests, you accept and follow the steps to get a reward/rep or you don't do it and fall behind), but Suramar is definitely one of my favourite questing zones. Great variety in enemy/quest types, quite beautiful (even on my shitty laptop), nice soundtrack, plenty of players and no flying so there are plenty of interactions (murdering each other).

I really don't like that a lot of its content (most notably, imo, its two dungeons) are gated behind reputation, most of which can only be earned via the rotating world quests. That means there's effectively a cap on how much you can earn a day and that it's mostly a matter of time until you can see the zone to its conclusion. Just give me a corner of the map full of elites that give rep that I can grind at my own pace.

Caim

Arcane
Maybe it's possible to quest in Hellfire Peninsula now and not constantly get quest givers murdered by players some 30-40 levels higher than you.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I cannot imagine leveling from 1 to 110. I used that Legion invasion thing to level a few chars from 67/80 to 94/100 and even that felt like a chore and all I did was auto-invite people while I sat at the bottom of an inn doing nothing (browsing the internet in another window). Leveling is just a really shitty gameplay mechanic in a game that doesn't get interesting until you're maxed out. Legion giving a free lvl 100 character was a huge draw to me for this reason.

After you've done all of the quests enough times to get to know most of them by heart? Yeah, shit gets tedious as all hell, probably why they introduced Heirlooms in the first place. Spamming dungeon finder as a dps takes a shitton of time, depending on your level too.
I was about to say how interesting I find it that the devs opted to gate a hefty amount of lore behind class quests (non-dks won't get to find out that the four horsemen are being remade and that Bolvar is amassing an army, non-locks won't get to know that a full legion invasion was thwarted because the locks stole Gul'dan's staff, etc), but actually getting your class to 100 does require a good deal of time spent grinding, sometimes on the same dungeon for hours on end (I occasionally rdf'ed when I got bored of questing, and from 68 to 72 all I got queued for was Utgard Keep, except for 2 occasions). Still, it's a hell of a lot better than getting your alts to 60 during Vanilla. Man, FUCK that.

Rivmusique said:
I really don't like that a lot of its content (most notably, imo, its two dungeons) are gated behind reputation, most of which can only be earned via the rotating world quests. That means there's effectively a cap on how much you can earn a day and that it's mostly a matter of time until you can see the zone to its conclusion. Just give me a corner of the map full of elites that give rep that I can grind at my own pace.
It's probably the closest thing they could get to earlier raid/dungeon attunements, without having half the community assblasted at having to "work" to get to something. Although, farming enough rep only to be rewarded with the chance to farm some more (dungeons) feels like some ancient greek tragedy. A long questline would've been more fun, I think.

Caim said:
Maybe it's possible to quest in Hellfire Peninsula now and not constantly get quest givers murdered by players some 30-40 levels higher than you.
Thrallmar was getting camped by a 110 DH for about an hour or so yesterday when I was leveling there, funny you should mention that.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Playing on my prot pally is a fucking blast. Two days ago we went into a dungeon (the one in Nightmare) and during one fight everyone except me died at 50% of boss' life. I still managed to solo beat him while my dead party members cheered for me in the chat. What a fun time!

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
9qwminh.jpg

HRMMM

sser

Arcane
Developer
I've only ran into a little bit of PVP while questing (1 bar from 110 now). Most players seem to just want to push through the content without infringing upon one another. One of the benefits of tanking is that when someone does attack you, you got a good chunk of time to put down whatever you were doing and get your bearings.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Started playing again after 6 years of being clean, it's amusing enough, but it's not the same. Playing with a friend I played with back in the day who tried to convince me mythics are at the level of vanilla/TBC dungeons. Figured I'd try one, still the AoE-spamfest I got annoyed by back when they started to show up in WotLK.

I'm giving it until about mythic+ gets released and he'll try to sell me on them being similar to old-dungeons. I miss the little Crowd control puzzles that you actually used to need to clear a dungeon. Sad times.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The nomenclature is all screwed up now, here's the breakdown:

Normal = leveling dungeons (although everything scales but you get the point).
Heroic = max level (ilevel) dungeons. In previous expansions these were simply the leveling dungeons ratcheted up to max level.
Mythic = what heroics used to be circa Wrath but not like pre-nerf TBC heroics.
Mythic+ = the actual heroics you remember from TBC and the beauty is they keep scaling upwards.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't understand why people still care about retail. Retail is disgusting and a sin. Also, Chris Metzen left Blizz, he hasn't been relevant to anything in a while, so who cares. I feel like Blizzard themselves aren't relevant anymore, as in relevant to gaming (i.e. not to mainstream casuals or fans).

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane

I didn't know he works for Blizzard now?

It sounds like he doesn't like MMOs, or want to make them. Surprisingly common attitude among modern developers handling beloved franchises. "Don't worry, this isn't one of those icky MMOs. We've made it like other games! It's practically not an MMO at all!"

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

Heroic = max level (ilevel) dungeons. In previous expansions these were simply the leveling dungeons ratcheted up to max level.
Mythic+ = the actual heroics you remember from TBC and the beauty is they keep scaling upwards.

You know what, I'd settle with mythic+ being the difficulty of a 5-man Stratholme run, back when everybody was doing it in a 10 man zerg rush in crappy greens. Nothing has ever beaten that feeling of getting crappy blue quest rewards for doing a dungeon the way it was meant to be played, even if the quest rewards were utter shite compared to the drops. Tier 0.5 used to mean something, damn it! We got spirit on our Warrior armor and we were happy for the privilege!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't understand why people still care about retail. Retail is disgusting and a sin. Also, Chris Metzen left Blizz, he hasn't been relevant to anything in a while, so who cares. I feel like Blizzard themselves aren't relevant anymore, as in relevant to gaming (i.e. not to mainstream casuals or fans).
Trying too hard. It's a video game. Just relax. I played during Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath when you were suckling at momma's teet. The current game is still fun in doses.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

You know what, I'd settle with mythic+ being the difficulty of a 5-man Stratholme run, back when everybody was doing it in a 10 man zerg rush in crappy greens. Nothing has ever beaten that feeling of getting crappy blue quest rewards for doing a dungeon the way it was meant to be played, even if the quest rewards were utter shite compared to the drops. Tier 0.5 used to mean something, damn it! We got spirit on our Warrior armor and we were happy for the privilege!
Was definitely enjoyable back then but not sustainable. Doing 5 man pre-nerf Straholme took around an hour or two PER SIDE. A full clear of Scholomance probably took around two hours or more. I miss the requirement of CC in dungeons, though. Made playing DPS fun as you had to do something other than simply attack a mob. There was a little bit of finesse and strategy required.

Pre-nerf TBC heroics were the pinnacle of challenging five mans. Shadow Labyrinth was my favorite. Wrath heroics were more aesthetically pleasing and fun but not as challenging.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Trying too hard. It's a video game. Just relax. I played during Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath when you were suckling at momma's teet. The current game is still fun in doses.

This has nothing to do with what I said or is addressing it any way, sooo trying too hard?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom