Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

J1M

Arcane
I doubt Starcraft makes as much for them as Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, or Overwatch. Don't expect a Warcraft 4 ever.
Yeah, true. It's the curse of the microtransaction money. Blizzard is on the same road as Valve is.
Warcraft is where they have experimented more with the RTS formula. The obvious direction to go was real-time tactics elements, but now that they have Heroes of the Storm, that may no longer make sense.

The opposite of that would be something along the lines of Total War or Dawn of War. While I think it would be interesting to see control shift away from moving individual units to setting stances on squads/battalions, Blizzard has some challenges if it tries to go in that direction. Namely, how to get all those units to render on the integrated GPU of a crappy macbook.

There is also another option, which prior to Hearthstone they would probably never have considered. A TBS (turn-based strategy) game. Hearthstone has shown that people will play turn-based games and they will also create esports events around them. That alone probably isn't enough for Blizzard to take the risk, but the fact that turn-based games are much better for mobile devices might make this something they try. (With companion products in the form of $100 figurines you have to paint yourself. :lol:)

Not to mention the design decisions they've made based around nagging spouses/children. "Honey, I like playing as the Protoss but I can't click fast enough to win a game and their outfits are problematic."

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Bring back Vanilla WoW. The current iteration of WoW is trash. To anyone who wasn't there in 2004-2007 you have no know idea the amount of fun you missed. 'The second happy time' of online gaming as i like to call it. There will never be another era in online gaming like that ever again.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There is also another option, which prior to Hearthstone they would probably never have considered. A TBS (turn-based strategy) game. Hearthstone has shown that people will play turn-based games and they will also create esports events around them. That alone probably isn't enough for Blizzard to take the risk, but the fact that turn-based games are much better for mobile devices might make this something they try. (With companion products in the form of $100 figurines you have to paint yourself. :lol:)

You are kinda missing the mark there. People are playing HS despite the turn-based nature of it, because it's a "small-bursts" game, exactly like all other shamefully popular games (CoD, MOBAs, even War/Starcraft, although those require more thinking and that's why they aren't as popular). It doesn't require any kind of meaningful commitment. Getting new "cards" is not meaningful commitment, it's just profit for Blizz. Yes, Blizzard will sell a turn-based strategy game because they are Blizzard, not because people would want to play such a thing or even know that such things even exist. Blizzard will make everything if they think it's going to bring them mad profits and "traditional" turn-based games don't. Speaking of mad profits, if Legion doesn't do as well as they have planned, and I think it won't, they'll probably start making Legacy servers and nothing in the world will stop them, not missing data, not the clamoring of "anti-Legacy" people and not even a lack of budget, they'll just take that money from somewhere else. Or maybe they'll just pull the plug from this very long dead horse, who knows.

Caim

Arcane
Bring back Vanilla WoW. The current iteration of WoW is trash. To anyone who wasn't there in 2004-2007 you have no know idea the amount of fun you missed. 'The second happy time' of online gaming as i like to call it. There will never be another era in online gaming like that ever again.
The reason they won't is because they'd have to admit just that: that everything from BC onwards was shit. If they did this heads would roll over at Blizzard, and nobody wants to lose their comfy spot in the corporate structure.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yet they welcomed Nostalrius team warmly:

http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44218

A few Blizzard & World of Warcraft executives were present, as well as people responsible for the WoW community:

• Mike Morhaime - CEO
  • J. Allen Brack - Executive Producer for WoW
  • Tom Chilton - Game Director for WoW
  • Ion Hazzikostas - Assistant Game Director for WoW
  • Marco Koegler - Technical Director for WoW
  • Saralyn Smith - Global Director of Community Development
  • Kester Robison - Manager of WoW Community Development
  • Vanessa Vanasin - PR Manager for WoW
  • Randy Jordan - Blizzard Community Manager
Z00sUjQ.jpg

To sum up, the good surprise of the meeting was the level of engagement of all these Blizzard people toward making legacy servers a reality. The down side is the technical difficulty it will take to reach our objective. Blizzard is now well aware of the amount of players willing to play legacy servers, something which wasn’t the case until Nostalrius shutdown. This meeting with Blizzard was the accomplishment of the petition you signed and of your unexpected level of engagement. We expressed your thoughts and voices the best we could and we saw that Blizzard listened really carefully. We hope that we will hear from them soon, and will keep you updated: this meeting isn’t an end point for us, more like a milestone.

So, hope dies last?

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
I don't believe legacy servers will happen until WoW is on it's last legs so i hope legion is a dismal failure.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Pre-Legion invasion event is fairly underwhelming. You get ilevel 700 gear... stuff you could have gotten for about a year now idling in BG's or farming PvE mobs in Ashran.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Back when it released in Europe, it was the best online experience I had with a video game, the community, the world design, the exploration, the grouping and dungeons, so fucking awesome and unlike anything else on the market back then.

Played it on and off for 6 years with my brother.

The BC was last good update they released for the game, everything else was mostly shit.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So wheres vanilla better then WotlK? Quests? Area design? Class design? Dungeons? Raids? Lore? PVP? How was your dungeon experience in Cataclysm?

Or are you just repeating the same old "muh vanilla" nonsense like everyone else.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
That was a very wise PR move for Blizzard.
Bingo. An hour of courtesy meetings costs you little to nothing for good PR.

I was thinking Blizzard just had them over to get them to admit to a bunch of illegal shit then sue them out of life.

So wheres vanilla better then WotlK? Quests? Area design? Class design? Dungeons? Raids? Lore? PVP? How was your dungeon experience in Cataclysm?

Or are you just repeating the same old "muh vanilla" nonsense like everyone else.

Vanilla really isn't better than retail... The game was never interesting lore/quest/pvp/raid/dungeon wise so I don't understand those arguments. Vanilla WoW was regarded as "kiddy ezmode MMO" when it was released.

I keep seeing people stream Kronos and other private servers and it's unfortunately the same boring game. There's really not much of a difference between retail and vanilla.

People who played Vanilla are in their 20s/30s now and have some sort of nostalgia for childhood. These games are fun and maybe intellectually stimulating for children but they lack substance for adults and unfortunately many people are wasting their days away trying to relive the past.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Vanilla really isn't better than retail... The game was never interesting lore/quest/pvp/raid/dungeon wise so I don't understand those arguments. Vanilla WoW was regarded as "kiddy ezmode MMO" when it was released.

I keep seeing people stream Kronos and other private servers and it's unfortunately the same boring game. There's really not much of a difference between retail and vanilla.

People who played Vanilla are in their 20s/30s now and have some sort of nostalgia for childhood. These games are fun and maybe intellectually stimulating for children but they lack substance for adults and unfortunately many people are wasting their days away trying to relive the past.
This post is fucking retarded. You claim Vanilla isn't better than retail but than don't give any real reasons why except "Vanilla WoW was regarded as kiddy ezmode MMO when it was released" and "nostalgia"? lmao. And by just watching a couple of hours of some retard streaming a private server will show you nothing.

How old are you? Where you there in 2004-2007? Cause you have nooooo idea wtf you're talking about. Trying to act like retail is for adults and vanilla was for children = LMAO News flash: All games are for kids.

This is seriously one of the worst posts i have ever read on the dex'. Honestly, is your ass jealous of the amount of shit that just came out of your mouth?

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
This post is fucking retarded. You claim Vanilla isn't better than retail but than don't give any real reasons why except "Vanilla WoW was regarded as kiddy ezmode MMO when it was released" and "nostalgia"? lmao. And by just watching a couple of hours of some retard streaming a private server will show you nothing.

How old are you? Where you there in 2004-2007? Cause you have nooooo idea wtf you're talking about. Trying to act like retail is for adults and vanilla was for children = LMAO News flash: All games are for kids.

This is seriously one of the worst posts i have ever read on the dex'. Honestly, is your ass jealous of the amount of shit that just came out of your mouth?

shitposter.png

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob

shitposter.png
You still haven't explained why Vanilla is worse than retail.

Quoting my tag is just copping out my friend, and quite frankly very pathetic.

Caim

Arcane

shitposter.png

shitposter.png

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

shitposter.png

I didn't say that retail is for adults or that Vanilla is worse than retail. Both suck about equally and both are for children.

Warcraft lore is cliche and intellectually shallow and has been since vanilla. PVP is always unbalanced. There's less world pvp on retail because of arenas and bgs but world pvp has always been meaningless. Quest design has progressed from "collect 45 bear hides" to "collect 45 bear hides then sit through a cutscene".

Player mentality hasn't changed; Rush to max level ASAP then raid or PVP. Raids and dungeons run the same way. Read a guide, spec a certain way, and press the right buttons. Current bosses have more abilities that force players to move around some. Modern raid groups are a bit smaller... Max level players sit in a Garrison all day instead of Stormwind. Whatever.

The largest changes that have been made are for convenience. You no longer need to spend hours walking to a dungeon (but if you want to in retail you certainly can). You gain access to mounts earlier, you level faster. Leveling up is easier because people only care about getting to max ASAP. Blizzard says they want to re-balance leveling so that will probably get fixed soon.

Vanilla was never challenging gameplay wise, it was challenging time consumption wise. WoW has always been ridiculously easy the difference is that in Vanilla you needed to dump a quarter of your life to get anywhere. There's nothing to the game, never has been.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Good post, dawkinsfan69.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom