Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Warcraft: Dragon Desperation

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now youtube is going to spam me with that googly eyed mofo =(

On youtube recommends there are three vertical dots, lower right hand corner under each video thumbnail. Click that and slect "don't recommend channel" There is also the "not interested" for any subject that pops up that you dont like but may not want to outright ignore the channel. If you press the "not interested" enough option here and there it will stop showing you that type of subject matter. I made the mistake of watching some Quartering, which started a flood of that content from others like him. Both methods used in conjunction works fine and it doesnt take long.
This. I was getting spammed with Asmongoloid videos a year or two ago and I had to crush that with maximum prejudice.

Myobi

Liturgist
Lol "by Shadowlands", shadowlands was just another step of the spiral stairwell.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I had given up on WoW but still managed to be tempted by each expansion to at least pick them up and a few month sub. Every time was like getting kicked in the balls and by Shadowlands I think I subbed for three months and quit after a week. That was enough for me, especially coming after Diablo Immortal.

Fuck this game and company.

J1M

Arcane
It appears Dragonflight sold worse than Shadowlands. In this case, while Dragonflight has been praised for the most part by people that did play it, people were turned off from WoW as a whole by Shadowlands enough to not consider buying into Dragonflight

https://www.pcgamesn.com/world-of-warcraft/sales-dragonflight-shadowlands-activision-blizzard
It's worse than that. They would share the numbers if they were close. We are talking like 50% of pandemic players.

Elttharion

Learned
I had given up on WoW but still managed to be tempted by each expansion to at least pick them up and a few month sub. Every time was like getting kicked in the balls and by Shadowlands I think I subbed for three months and quit after a week. That was enough for me, especially coming after Diablo Immortal.

Fuck this game and company.
I played a lot of WoW from Vanilla to Pandaria and always came back everytime they launched a new expansion or big patch, but BFA broke me. I stopped playing during 8.2 and remember the exact momment I gave up on the game, I wanted that fox mount from Legion and was doing the dungeon on my priest, when I finished it I won the mount just for the servers to DC and I suffered a rollback and lost both the mount and my daily change at the dungeon. I remember staring at the screen and thinking 'What the fuck am I doing with my life' when I realized the only thing that kept me subbed to the game was collecting mounts, pets, transmogs, etc. A complete waste of time, from someone playing the game with friends because of the raiding, adventure etc to a retard playing mostly alone to collect stupid things.

My old guild was desintegrating at the time and most people I knew were quitting. I stopped cold turkey there and never went back. A few months ago they had a huge sale in the Battle Net store so I decided to resub again to check how much gold I had. I used all my gold plus sold every rare pet, item, mount I had and traded them for wow tokens. In the end I bought Crash 4, Starcraft 1+2+expansions, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, Diablo 3 and gave almost a million gold to an old friend. The fact that the guild I was in since Vanilla had disbanded was another punch to the gut. Nothing I saw from Blizzard since then has given me even the slightest desire to return to the game, quite the opposite, I would be happy to see them burn to the ground.

Thanks for reading my blogpost. :love:

mediocrepoet

Patron
Nothing I saw from Blizzard since then has given me even the slightest desire to return to the game, quite the opposite, I would be happy to see them burn to the ground.

I feel this. I used to be a hugely addicted Vanilla raider that burnt out on that during AQ40. After that, I tended to still play a lot but it wasn't the same, and ultimately kind of fell out of the MMO mindset in general. I have a hard time with them because they're such huge time/life sinks.

The AQ thing was sort of funny though. I was like: I'm paying to play this game, I dislike a bunch of you elitist raider assholes, that I spend most of my time with, what the hell? And on top of that, instead of getting stuff to be an awesome knight, I'm getting armour made of bug partz. Fuck this. I want to fight dragons, not insects. Totally broke my class fantasy stuff. If I were a WoW designer, instead of trolling the playerbase by having a "dig through shit" quest every expack, I'd have made the best loot drop in AQ40 and similar a giant fly swatter, or a wand that looks like a can of Raid.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Reminder that it is a beautiful February day, and Blizzard still got assfucked by the Great Jade Dragon and have no recourse or a replacement for their chinese market. Feels good.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Reminder that it is a beautiful February day, and Blizzard still got assfucked by the Great Jade Dragon and have no recourse or a replacement for their chinese market. Feels good.
7ad03u.jpg

Elttharion

Learned
Nothing I saw from Blizzard since then has given me even the slightest desire to return to the game, quite the opposite, I would be happy to see them burn to the ground.
I'm getting armour made of bug partz. Fuck this. I want to fight dragons, not insects.
Hey, thats why I like monster hunter. Nothing more adventurous than murdering what you see in front of you and carving the carcass to make a giant hammer I will use to kill the rest of the monsters family.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I'm getting armour made of bug partz. Fuck this. I want to fight dragons, not insects.
Hey, thats why I like monster hunter. Nothing more adventurous than murdering what you see in front of you and carving the carcass to make a giant hammer I will use to kill the rest of the monsters family.
I like Monster Hunter too, but that's killing dragons and dinosaurs to make dragon armour and weapons, not killing bugs to make bugman suits that looked retarded.

Angthoron

Arcane
For me, one of the biggest deathblows for WoW was when dungeon progression was put on a timer. I can't think of anyone that enjoys timers, and yet, the most theoretically accessible form of progress in the game is hidden behind just that.

What if I just want to enjoy some challenging content with a small group of friends, sink a couple of hours into a long, hard dungeon, chill, talk shit, have a few beers? Oh right, can't have that, the last time Blizz tried something like that was revamped Kara, and to be honest, it didn't quite work, in my opinion - at least I didn't get the same feels from running it with friends as I did running Strat/Scholo/BRS/BRD, or the harder dungeons in BC/WotLK era.

Timers were cool when they were used for leaderboards in MoP, when the biggest thing you could get out of it was a mount or cosmetics. Flex your massive peen? Check. Challenging content? Check. Timer? Check. Oh yeah and gear normalization too, so you couldn't push timers by just having more stats on your loot.

Making it core gameplay essential to progression, on the other hand, was dumb as fuck and drove a giant stake made of shit into the already suffering mode. Yeah there's M0, but who the hell runs M0? Why would you want to waste the time of your friends like that? Oh yeah and you can't waste time of randoms because you can't LFG it, tee hee.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
What if I just want to enjoy some challenging content with a small group of friends, sink a couple of hours into a long, hard dungeon, chill, talk shit, have a few beers?

WoW and MMO's in general are so far removed from this experience. It's one of the reasons I can't stand modern MMO's. I am hoping Monsters & Memories can at least fill in this void because Pantheon looks more and more like shit with each new preview they do.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...school-style-mmo-by-niche-worlds-cult.142953/

Sykar

Arcane
Riot can go and fuck themselves. Deleted my account because my name was reported racist. Out of the blue without even an explanation. What was my LoL name? Same name I use here just backwards. I punched that name into google translate and several search engines with no results. So much for that. Will never touch a Riot game again.

abija

Prophet
I dread to ask who here is or was hopeful for a fucking League of Legends MMO.
They have tons of lore already done, huge audience and lots of $$$ to throw away. If anything could have taken on WoW, that was it.

I dread to ask who here is or was hopeful for a fucking League of Legends MMO.

Riot had the man who was the lead game designer of WoW during its golden age, and Riot had the resources to deliver a a game with high production values. I personally don't like LoL or its universe or aesthetic, but Riot's MMO was the last hope for a good MMO. The only stuff in development is Asian grindiers riddled with cash shops that will die within a couple years, and kickstarter stuff that languishes in development hell because the teams behind them have barely any resources.

Holy crap, at long last, they're finally doing it. They're making an underground zone! (Coincidentally GW2 just delievered one a couple weeks back, though that map was very unsatisfying for exploration since the map revolves around a meta event). I might resub for this. When can we get that underground expansion discovering ancient Nerubian cities and trawling through dead old god guts?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom