Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World in Conflict: is it worth it?

MetalCraze

Arcane
I've played the demo yesterday - and I was surprised that with all that graphics it's fairly playable on my system @ high settings. well it lags but I can handle that.
anyway - the game also seemed pretty intense and I like the obviously upgraded GC2 gameplay.
however they put there only 1 level, and as we know devs try to put the best in the demo to make you buy the game.
also for the past years RTS games have this curse of being intense and interesting in the beginning and turning into a boredom by the middle with repeating elements of the gameplay.
I like what I see currently but a question for you who've actually played the game - is it worth buying?

Rumteldat

Novice
It's a great game.It isn't exactly a thinking mans game but man is it fun.It's pretty easy, at least on normal.I found that most of the fun comes from calling in ridiculous amounts of artillery or dropping paratroopers behind the enemy.It looks amazing and I think it's totally worth the price.

MetalCraze

Arcane
good then. well it wasn't too far from GC2, which was a mainstream version of GC, except for some new features. but I can live with that.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Eye candy mostly. The gameplay I found rather mediocre. And unfortunately, the fun of callin' in immense amount of artillery and bomb barrages and watching it all burn wears off with time, and I was bored halfway through the campaign.

Oh, the cutscenes are pretty neat, despite the overall absurdity of the plot.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hell yes. I have been playing the hell out of the MP, and I just plain love it.

I remember this one game where I did two consecutive nukes on the enemy. God that was great.

I like it because it's an intense and fast-paced game. Every moment of it is filled with airstrikes and bombardments. The most fun thing to do is to play as Support and rain down artillery bombardments on the enemy while your anti-air make it impossible for air units anywhere.

But really, get the game.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I got it finally.
what I like most of all is that the dumbing down actually worked great for once. yes it was in GC2 already - but I like that you don't need to spend 30 minutes building the base - but rather get right down to the combat.
I would've wished for better balance though. one heavy tank platoon can destroy everything everywhere.

DemonKing

Arcane
The gameplay was mediocre in my opinion - although the story and dialogue was quite good.

For all the pretty graphics to have any control at all you have to zoom so far out that you have no chance of seeing what is going on in any detail, which was disappointing.

The airstrikes and so on are fun but even they were wearing a bit thin on me by game's end.

I haven't really got into the multiplayer yet but might give it a whirl someday.

The Dude

Liturgist
Agree about the gameplay being mediocre, if that.
"Because we can't be bothered to make a decent AI, let's just zerg the player from all directions at once!" Sure, making RTS AI isn't easy, and the setting had a good explanation for the zerging, but it got *so* tiring in the end. Ground Control 1 is still their finest hour.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Atrokkus said:

There are things about the plot that are not absurd at all. Using container ships for invasion is, or at least could be viable. Using them covertly is of course out of the question, however their huge capacity could be used well for transporting equipment and supplies in mass quantities.
In fact, there are fears that China could use its rapidly growing flotilla of big container ships for invading Taiwan. And Brits have been using them in the Falkland conflict.
So, there is something to this container ship scheme. However I can't comment on the rest of the plot, since I don't know anything more.

About the game itself- when the wow factor passed, after about 30 minutes, it turned out to be rather average, bordering on ok.

kris

Arcane
Herbert West said:
Atrokkus said:

There are things about the plot that are not absurd at all. Using container ships for invasion is, or at least could be viable. Using them covertly is of course out of the question, however their huge capacity could be used well for transporting equipment and supplies in mass quantities.
In fact, there are fears that China could use its rapidly growing flotilla of big container ships for invading Taiwan. And Brits have been using them in the Falkland conflict.
So, there is something to this container ship scheme. However I can't comment on the rest of the plot, since I don't know anything more.

I tried the game yesterday and liked it. Checked on codex threads...

In a small scale scenario this could work, but in a full out war as the story of the game decipit it is not doable. If USA would have been in war at the time, then they would never let "many" unindentified cargo ships near the coast, they would probably even sink a single unindentified cargo ship appoarching one of their harbours. This is a incredibly risky operation were the whole attack force can be wiped out with minimum effort. Lastly, a naval invasion is no cakewalk, especially considering distance and organisation problems. The massive paratrooper landings is obviously just silly considering everything. Also, you can't bring over many soldiers on a cargo ship.

I still enjoyed the game.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Found the gameplay to be rather shallow but the sp campaign is decent so its worth a try. Then again if you are looking for a challenging game or something that needs you to use your brain than look elsewhere.

Ryuken

Liturgist
It's quite good in multiplayer, didn't bother with the singleplayer too long.

One thing that the WiC-devs should be proud about is that they made the best online matchmaking service I've ever seen, for any game or genre. And now they're an in-house Ubisoft developer... what a shame, I fear they're gonna be raped just like Blue Byte.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom