Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WoD vs nWoD?

Callaxes

Arbiter
I've heard some complains about the new World of Darkness, having never played either RPGs. From what I've read, the lore is more debatable now and they got rid of the Gehena/Ascension/Apocalypse thing which annoyed me a bit.

I really love the idea behind Promethean. It's a big cliche to add a character in a story that isn't human, but wants to be. But when it's your story and a part of the gameplay it sounds brilliant.

The only campaigns that sound bad now to me is the Wraith one and Demon, but I never liked both of them to begin with.

Which was better?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't had a chance to look at promethean, but I didn't like any of the other nWoD books I looked at, or really anything I've heard about them.

Pretty much everyone I've talked to holds that opinion, and my WoD group decided to stick with old WoD.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
They ruined Mage to the point that it shouldn't be called the same name any longer in my opinion. The only game that I can see as remotely better than the old WoD is the new Werewolf, and nobody likes that because it's for furries anyway...

Andhaira

Arcane
The WOD and the nWoD are the most emo games ever. honestly, any Codexian who claims to like them is a freaking hypcrite.

LETS BAN WHITE WOLF UNTIL THEY MAKE A PROPER VAMPIRE RPG.

At least come up with a better baseline system, instead of the shitty storyteller system you have. Learn something from wotc for crying out loud. Sure D&D has flaws, but at least it uses a unified mechanic and does NOT need BUCKETLOADS of dice.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'd say the new Changeling is also better than the old one.

Now, I'd say the core difference with new version is that it has some essential gameplay improvements. Like dealing away with all the retarded shit in combat, like Soak Dice (now attacking only involves a single roll). In general, the new mechanics use a lot less deadweight and work more quickly.

As for Promethean... Best game WW ever made, hands down. Only thing that can hold a candle to it is old Mage.

Baphomet

Scholar
They got rid of global hierarchies such as The Camarilla and reduced the scope of everything down to a "city-state" level. Factions are now ideological outlooks that vary in practice from city to city. The Lancea Sanctum is actively hunting The Circle of the Crone and the Ordo Dracul in New Orleans, but if you ran a custom game that's set in Philly, you could conceivably have all three of these Covenants cooperating against a different threat. I like this very much. Global hierarchies were very fucking stupid conceptually and in execution.

All character creation (I haven't read any of the new stuff like Hunter, so my info might be outdated) is kinda like this:

Choose a type (vampire clan, for example)
Choose an outlook / ideology (covenant)
Later on, choose a subtype (vampire bloodline, for example)

At a first glance, it looks like there is less freedom for character customization, but there's actually more of it.

Lurkar

Scholar
New Vampire and Mage are worse then old

Promethean is awesome

Old Changeling was "Otherkin: the Glamourbombing." New Changeling is so much better it can't be conveyed in text. Seriously, if anyone ever claims that oChangeling was better, punch them until they die.

People are overall split on nHunter vs oHunter. I prefer nHunter personally. That said, I think Unknown Armies is better then both for what they're trying to accomplish.

Slasher is a suppliment for nHunter, but it's so awesome it might as well be it's own game.

I haven't done much of Werewolf, new or old, so I can't comment much there.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Another thing is that NWoD doesn't feel like it's got supernaturals up the butt, like OWoD had at the worst of times.

Also, you can't but love the new Changing Breeds character creation rules.

Importunt: What's this Slasher? Is it what I think it is? Does it involve punishing teenagers for having the ultimate sin (teh secks)?

Lurkar said:
Old Changeling was "Otherkin: the Glamourbombing." New Changeling is so much better it can't be conveyed in text. Seriously, if anyone ever claims that oChangeling was better, punch them until they die.

oChangeling was way, way better. So much better, in fact, it can't be conveyed in text. The new one is clearly infected by the mundanity, banality of the new WoD, where all the original metaphysical discourse about the nature of reality, holographical universes, and the subjectivity of experience that made the setting turned into cheap pulp about victims of abuse without reason or meaning beyond "Hey, it's dark and edgy and gothic."

Back in the day you could take Changeling: The Dreaming and create an almost perfect correlation between the setting and a big group of metaphysical, occult systems and symbols, adding several layers of meaning and discourse for a good group of players to use both indirectly and directly. Now your team is just a bunch of "boo hoo, they hurt'd me!"

Fucking crap.

[Edit: Yes, i am very angry about Changeling.]

Lurkar

Scholar
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Another thing is that NWoD doesn't feel like it's got supernaturals up the butt, like OWoD had at the worst of times.

Also, you can't but love the new Changing Breeds character creation rules.

Importunt: What's this Slasher? Is it what I think it is? Does it involve punishing teenagers for having the ultimate sin (teh secks)?

Yes. Slasher is a nHunter suppliment about serial killers that range from superhuman to flat out supernatural. Masks, for example, are the Jason variety - they can't make any checks that require intelligence, can't use any language related anythings, buuuut...take only one damage from everything. In other words, they don't die. Fucking ever.

Lurkar

Scholar
The Rambling Sage said:
Lurkar said:

oChangeling was way, way better. So much better, in fact, it can't be conveyed in text. The new one is clearly infected by the mundanity, banality of the new WoD, where all the original metaphysical discourse about the nature of reality, holographical universes, and the subjectivity of experience that made the setting turned into cheap pulp about victims of abuse without reason or meaning beyond "Hey, it's dark and edgy and gothic."

Back in the day you could take Changeling: The Dreaming and create an almost perfect correlation between the setting and a big group of metaphysical, occult systems and symbols, adding several layers of meaning and discourse for a good group of players to use both indirectly and directly. Now your team is just a bunch of "boo hoo, they hurt'd me!"

Fucking crap.

[Edit: Yes, i am very angry about Changeling.]

Fag.

Thanks for proving my point about it being Otherkin: the Glamourbombing.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't looked at new Exalted, either, is that any good? I'm currently playing old Exalted with some friends, and it's a pretty rough system.

lightbane

Arcane
I have a question about Wod: I'm curious how was the old changeling compared to the new one, could please someone tell pros and cons of each one, just to know?

I couldn't tell much difference between them, NChangeling seems like it would be easier to plan a campaign in it, character creation is perhaps more varied and the combat system is improved (though it sucks anyway), and I had a hard time trying to read the NChangelign book because it is so repetitive. Neither are games I would recommend to anyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom